• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Director Says She Has Not Heard of Anime Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:

Objection. Stephanie Meyer outright said that she did zero research. Something about not wanting to taint her imagination.

Because, you know, reading books doesn’t give you inspiration and new ideas. What we write isn’t subconsciously based around what we know at all. And definitely, knowing very little will give you a large imagination, because you have oh so much to draw from. Knowing what you liked about other vampire series so you can take those things and implement them to make an even better series is not a necessity. Not at all.

I don't really know where your hostility is coming from but I was countering the notion of "Vampires don't sparkle!" when that is not totally true. You even say it yourself, although you deny it that subconsciously based around what we know is pretty much the crux of all story-telling, as really any story has already been told. Vampire stories have been around for awhile in cultural/storytelling device, so this "no research" thing is impossible as you would have been exposed to vampires very quickly, if not in literature, then simple Halloween costumes, movies, music, TV series can keep and change the vampire myth.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I remember how I laughed my head off when I heard the term "Sparkly Vampires" for the first time and I was like "but don't vampires burn to a crisp in the sun?". For some reason, the Twilight fangirls kind of remind me of the Inuyasha fangirls the way they overtly obsess over a supposed 'hottie' like Edward and the ideal girl in love such as Bella.

At least Harry Potter was witty and imaginative and will be positively rememberd for years by children and adults alike. While as Twilight will be remembered as escapism for young girls, and I don't think it will be as popular once a better romance series comes along.

Well, that's usually the case with anything people move on, but don't underestimate the power of fangrrrl power. Everybody still remembers Titantic and its almost US$2B cash haul! Laughing

Raven Shinobi wrote:

Besides, why would the Japanese want an anime version for Twilight when they have Vampire Knight which has twice the number of hot vampires to obsess over?

I believe I've mentioned before that a reason W.I.T.C.H. and probably Twilight aren't as successful in Japan is because Japan already has shoujo. Then again, I also mentioned Titanic, so all it can take is one girl-crush. Laughing

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
That might be funny if that joke wasn't old 5 years ago and if Negima was actually anything like HP. They both feature a ten-year old orphaned magic-user from the UK, but beyond that, they aren't really that similar.

I'm sure many a fanboy would love to see Hermione panty shots. Or Harry using the sneeze attack in humorous ways.

I'm pretty sure you can find the first one online. In anime style. Also, nekkid.

I was just about to say, the fan arts and doujin! Laughing

In the meantime, research really isn't needed when adding gimmicks. I could tell the Japanese often don't research when adding Christianity gimmicks, for example. Razz
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don’t really know where your hostility is coming from but I was countering the notion of “Vampires don’t sparkle!” when that is not totally true. You even say it yourself, although you deny it that subconsciously based around what we know is pretty much the crux of all story-telling, as really any story has already been told. Vampire stories have been around for awhile in cultural/storytelling device, so this “no research” thing is impossible as you would have been exposed to vampires very quickly, if not in literature, then simple Halloween costumes, movies, music, TV series can keep and change the vampire myth.

I love it when people take my words literally way too literally. She said it first, not me. By “research”, I mean outright, active research. As in reSEARCH. Actually looking for information. She didn’t go out and do MORE research, she based it on what little she already knew about vampires. They bite people, etc. She didn’t go and read a classic vampire book, read a documentary on the origins of the vampire myth, or anything. Just based it on what she knew from common knowledge. “Vampires bite, and they turn into bats.” She knew as much about vampires as the average person did and hadn’t even read a vampire novel prior, which is totally unacceptable if you are going to be writing a BOOK about it. At least if she did read something about it, she could say, “Oh, I really liked this about this book! Let’s see if I could add it to my book!” Maybe if she did that, Twilight wouldn’t be so bad. Perhaps it wouldn’t have been a book about anemix pixies pretending to be vampires. But of course, it has Bella in it, so maybe not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5