• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bod Squad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:
Nothing grosses me out more than low budget, off-model boobs

It never occurred to me that there would be model sheets for boobs.

Of course! I mean, character model sheets are very important to animators (everything gets a model sheet; props, effects, backgrounds, characters, vehicles), and character model sheets involve boobs. Especially in hentai and ecchi titles, a lot of thought has gone into how those things are animated (especially when they bounce independently of each other instead of as a pair, what is up with that?). I've also seen some (perhaps fake or fan-made) Shonen Jump female protagonist breast size comparison model sheets floating around the internet.

BrianRuh wrote:
Quote:
...super-detailed technical scenes that had me thinking back to the 1986 movie SpaceCamp, which is to say I was disappointed.

I'm sorry, that doesn't follow. Cool

Haha, I tried several drafts of that sentence:

first draft wrote:
Despite the cool-sounding premise, there are a lot of super-detailed technical scenes that had me thinking back to the 198__ movie Space Camp.

second draft wrote:
Despite the cool-sounding premise, there are a lot of super-detailed technical scenes that had me thinking back to the 1986 movie SpaceCamp, which promised a lot of adventure and never delivered.

Maybe I never quite made my point... based on the premise, SpaceCamp sounded like the greatest movie ever to my 10-year-old self. I was deeply disappointed in the execution, although it's been so long since I've seen it I can't quite remember why.

Botan24 wrote:
Its funny that this shelf life has Rosario and Vampire Capu2 ... the bat character was up my alley. But other than that, the story is...not for me, and that makes me not interested in season two.

There's a whole episode about the bat in Capu2!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Panda-s1 wrote:
Yeah, Bodacious Space Pirates definitely has that old school space opera vibe to it. I mean not completely, you can tell it was made for a modern audience, but the fact that it's directed by the guy who did Nadesico helps. Also explains why American fans love it, while Japanese fans are kinda meh about it, lol.

This was actually true for the first month or so in terms of otaku reaction. However, after episode 5 aired Mouretsu Pirates has pretty much always been in the top 100 DVD list on Amazon.jp. Here's a graph that shows this drastic increase. Pirates is now looking to be one of the highest sellers of winter season.

If it's one of the highest sellers, then winter is going to be a really lousy season for sales, as it only sold about 3,700 copies in the first week.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I wholeheartedly DISAGREE on First Squad being shelf worthy, the only appeal it has to it is its animation. The whole later half of the "movie" if you want to call it that, feels extremely rushed. I mean it had the potential to be really good, but in my personal opinion, its just a mess. I would say its pretty perishable overall.

As for the others, haven't seen space Pirates. And Rosario's amime adaption is a mess compared to the Manga, i'd say its perishable as well, be it season 1 or 2. But thats just my opinion. Razz
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I wholeheartedly DISAGREE on First Squad being shelf worthy, the only appeal it has to it is its animation. The whole later half of the "movie" if you want to call it that, feels extremely rushed. I mean it had the potential to be really good, but in my personal opinion, its just a mess. I would say its pretty perishable overall.

As for the others, haven't seen space Pirates. And Rosario's amime adaption is a mess compared to the Manga, i'd say its perishable as well, be it season 1 or 2. But thats just my opinion. Razz
Couldn't agree more about First Squad, glad to know there's somebody who agrees with me xD
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Pirates is now looking to be one of the highest sellers of winter season.

If it's one of the highest sellers, then winter is going to be a really lousy season for sales, as it only sold about 3,700 copies in the first week.

Winter is usually pretty bad. Last year it had PMMM and I.S. This time it'll be Nise and Ano Natsu, but the latter will have far fewer sales than IS did. As far as Pirates goes, it seems that either:
A)Nearly all of its sales were from Amazon so its figures got overestimated
B)It had supply issues so not everyone could buy it.

Can't forget that it's still ranking high on Amazon.jp (#32) at this post. So it could easily chart next week considering it's a pretty dead week. But yeah, my hopes for it reaching 5k are pretty low now. The list of shows that had accrued more stalker points is very low: Ano Natsu, Inu X Boku SS, and Nisemonogatari. By the time they are released, I expect High School DxD, Aquarion, BRS, and maybe Lagrange (funny how Lagrange had exact opposite fan reaction than pirates, huge numbers first month and then not much since) to have passed it. I had forgotten how DxD for some reason has decently high DVD points and Aquarion still has a month and a half before release. And I also had forgot that Natsume had a super early release. So even if it was 5k sales I had been hoping for, my statement about it being of the highest would have been off, my bad. Consider it just high hopes.

But yes, it is funny how the Stalker was the closest with Fate/Zero (it had 43,000 points and F/Z sold 42k) and how it overestimated Pirates (4,760 points with 3.7k sales) and underestimated PapaKiki (2,150 points with 3.3k sales).

Sorry for all the numbers in the Shelf Life thread. As far as this week goes, I was pretty iffy on First Squad when I watched it. I'd just rather see non-crazy supernatural stuff when dealing with 20th century history. There were parts I liked and parts I didn't. The 'mockumentary' interviews were honestly one of my favorite portions.

R+V anime is terrible. Awful. But whatever. If panty shots and harem are your thing, then you can't go wrong with it. I spent enough complaining the time Erin had the first season on here about how it's a terrible manga adaptation that I won't bother with it now.

And obviously I'm a pretty big fan of BSP or I wouldn't have been eagerly tracking its numbers. Always good to see Satou back at the helm in a (sort-of) space opera.
Botan24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Botan24 wrote:
Woot! My shelves are totally in the spotlight! I didn't realize I'd written a whole paragraph about them though. Jeez...I know I can get wordy when I type, but I try to keep it to a minimum.

I didn't realize they were yours. The prominent Botan figurine should've been a dead giveaway. Ah well, I'm the kind of person who looses his hat while he's wearing it.

Way to drop the ball, or should I say lose your hat? Next thing I know you'll be calling me Botan42 again! Wink

Apollo-kun wrote:
Great shelf selection this week, too, really organized and put together!

Thanks. What can I say? I MUST have order! But, that's kinda going by the wayside now. Since I took those shots, I've collected six more volumes of manga, and two more box sets of anime, plus a few more Ghilbi films. So, its time to rearrange yet again!

erinfinnegan wrote:
Botan24 wrote:

Its funny that this shelf life has Rosario and Vampire Capu2 ... the bat character was up my alley. But other than that, the story is...not for me, and that makes me not interested in season two.

There's a whole episode about the bat in Capu2!

This is true enough. I involuntarily found that out last night, after I happened to notice the title of said episode, "Pretty boy and a Vampire". That intrigued me and I kept vigil from a distance to see how it would play out. I will retract my original statement about capu2 and say that the bat episode was good. Everything else is peanuts. Smile
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I wholeheartedly DISAGREE on First Squad being shelf worthy, the only appeal it has to it is its animation...
Couldn't agree more about First Squad, glad to know there's somebody who agrees with me xD

It's kind of rare that I get a lot of dissent about making something Shelf Worthy. So rare, that I can't remember the last time it happened... Usually it's the other way, lots of people like things I rate Perishable.

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by First Squad, as neither of us had heard of it or read any prior reviews, so we had no expectations. My husband in particular was delighted by the title, and I'm always happy to find a show he likes, since his tastes are quite narrow in scope. Unfortunately, Noah also has a kind of anti-taste, which is to say, titles he likes a lot are universally hated. Inversely, whenever I've heard Noah say "I can't imagine why anyone would like that!" to a trailer, it's a sign that movie will be pure box office gold.

As a quick sidenote, Noah likes Bodacious Space Pirates a lot more than I do, even the yacht club episodes.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Hmm nice collection Barbara i see your into older series which is fine. Hell I want half of those series but money restraints etc lol.

Botan24 wrote:
Thank you. Yes, I guess I am into "older" series, but I've never really thought of it that way. To me, its like this: I purchase titles where the story interests me enough to re-watch it, or re-visit it. And I know what you mean about money restraints. I have to set myself an allowance every month. Sad

I know that feeling all to well I really try to buy the series I want to re-watch or left an impact on me. A rule of thumb for me is that if you can remember more than 2-3 characters for each series then you liked it. I also know the feeling on money since I am out work and have to budget what I get carefully but you collection again is nice you could make quite fortune on amazon. Alone I could make near 300 dollars re-selling my higurashi box-set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Hey Barabara, nice shelves! It especially pleases me to see Psyren on there!
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
Wow, a positive review of First Squad. Everything I read about it was negative, so much so that I removed it from my pre-order list back in January. I heard that the story in the second half was poor, it had live-action stuff which didn't seem appropriate and visually it was lacking. IIRC some reviewer said that originally it might have been conceived as a show and that might explain the patchwork mess it turned into. It might be that some of these reviewers saw it in a theater, and maybe it was cleaned up a bit for BD?
Botan24

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:04 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Botan24 wrote:
Hmm nice collection Barbara i see your into older series which is fine. Hell I want half of those series but money restraints etc lol.
Thank you. Yes, I guess I am into "older" series, but I've never really thought of it that way. To me, its like this: I purchase titles where the story interests me enough to re-watch it, or re-visit it. And I know what you mean about money restraints. I have to set myself an allowance every month. Sad

I know that feeling all to well I really try to buy the series I want to re-watch or left an impact on me. A rule of thumb for me is that if you can remember more than 2-3 characters for each series then you liked it. I also know the feeling on money since I am out work and have to budget what I get carefully but you collection again is nice you could make quite fortune on amazon. Alone I could make near 300 dollars re-selling my higurashi box-set.

Now, see, I have this super memory that allows me to remember even the most obscure characters in, not only anime, but most of what I watch. Therefore, it has to be did the story move me? And did I connect with/enjoy the characters? I do have a weakness though - anime that involves magic i.e. Slayers, Orphen, Fairy Tail. All of which I own, as you can see.

Dragynstorm wrote:
Hey Barabara, nice shelves! It especially pleases me to see Psyren on there!

Thank you. Um, Psyren is still on a trial basis for me. I read the first volume, and it wasn't bad. The whole phone booth thing reminded me way too much of the Matrix. And the premise sounded kinda like Gantz, but less violent - so far that is. I'm digging the art though, so we'll see how it goes.
CountZeroOR
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm really liking Bodacious Space Pirates. It's a nice updating of an old school space opera - not just in the anime sense, but the sci-fi in general sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I wholeheartedly DISAGREE on First Squad being shelf worthy, the only appeal it has to it is its animation...

It's kind of rare that I get a lot of dissent about making something Shelf Worthy. So rare, that I can't remember the last time it happened... Usually it's the other way, lots of people like things I rate Perishable.

My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by First Squad, as neither of us had heard of it or read any prior reviews, so we had no expectations. My husband in particular was delighted by the title, and I'm always happy to find a show he likes, since his tastes are quite narrow in scope. Unfortunately, Noah also has a kind of anti-taste, which is to say, titles he likes a lot are universally hated. Inversely, whenever I've heard Noah say "I can't imagine why anyone would like that!" to a trailer, it's a sign that movie will be pure box office gold.

As a quick sidenote, Noah likes Bodacious Space Pirates a lot more than I do, even the yacht club episodes.

I'm not against making First Squad Shelf-Worthy. I saw it a few months back and I found it to be very intriguing and... different. I enjoyed the animation, I found the live action "documentary" style interview scenes to be very engaging and i'd never really seen something quite like that before in a show. Anytime an anime tries doing something unique these days, I get excited because there is so much carbon-copy crap being pushed on us month after month. (Look at the success of Tiger and Bunny, which I think became so popular in large part due to its weird and somewhat unique premise.) I'm glad that I saw First Squad and I would most definitely recommend it to other people.

All that being said, I agree with the criticism of the ending portions of the story... maybe the last 1/3. It does feel a bit rushed. In the beginning, we feel like there is a lot of character development in store for the protagonist, but all of that kind of fizzles out in the build up to the final show-down. The secondary characters also become even more relegated to mere tools of the protagonist for that final battle, which might be OK if they had previously been very well developed. I think First Squad should have been like 3 times as long. Maybe they didn't have the budget for it though. I still think it was a great show. I can't say for certain if I would have personally made it shelf-worthy, as it's right on the edge, but it certainly wasn't perishable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4