• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Ouran High School Host Club Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megsee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Like I said no offense, but I see it happening already and I am sick of it, can all you FMA fans please remember that Vic and Catlin did and are doing other shows, and that to some people (majority of Ouran fans I know) don't even like FMA and are going to be upset to have to deal with the downfall of this.

Now that I am done with that statement, which is more then likely going to get me flamed, I must say I am unhappy with this also because I really don't think Vic suits Tamaki at all. I think he would have better cast as Nekozawa, and Catlin sounds way to girley to play Haruhi, seriously her talent would have been better suited for Honey or maybe even Renge.

While I AM an FMA fan, I can say that I personally view the cast from both shows separately, but I know that quite a few fans don't...I can see this sort of thing happening at an Ouran panel, but not to the extent that you're thinking. I'm sure there will be a few questions concerning FMA, but I'm sure with Ouran's fanbase we'll still be seeing PLENTY of Ouran.

I agree that Caitlin sounds quite girly (from what I've seen of her anyway) but I'm open to seeing how she'll portray Haruhi, since I know that she's a fan of Ouran herself and she'll be trying her best. Similar situation with Vic. I've seen him play Femio from Princess Tutu (who can be quite similar to Tamaki) and I thought he did a good job. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the final product, but until then I won't be jumping to conclusions.

Also, Monica is listed in the Ouran top at ANN in the cast list, she's hiding, but she should be there. Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Speaking of Renge, someone earlier send she was played by Monica Riel but I checked the cast and it doesn't say that, so where are you getting your information? I have nothing against miss Reil, I don't even know who she is, I was just wondering if this was true can she do the laugh? I hope so.
What kind of laugh is it? If it's one of those over-the-top crazy laughs she can handle it. (She did a few great ones in Magikano as Ayumi's insane little sister.)

If it's more of a flirty, cute laugh she does that very well as Asa in Shuffle.

Monical Rial's got a hell of a range so she likely handle it if she is in fact that one who has been cast in that part.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Megsee wrote:
I'm going to say this because I'll admit to stalking the Ouran page on the FUNimation website, but the counter has restarted on the website...

...and the final cast isn't there...

Error much?

Heehee, sadly, I noticed it too, but I reckon everyone's busy, they'll probaby update after the holiday weekend/AX08.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Mistress9 wrote:
Speaking of Renge, someone earlier send she was played by Monica Riel but I checked the cast and it doesn't say that, so where are you getting your information? I have nothing against miss Reil, I don't even know who she is, I was just wondering if this was true can she do the laugh? I hope so.
What kind of laugh is it? If it's one of those over-the-top crazy laughs she can handle it. (She did a few great ones in Magikano as Ayumi's insane little sister.)

If it's more of a flirty, cute laugh she does that very well as Asa in Shuffle.

Monical Rial's got a hell of a range so she likely handle it if she is in fact that one who has been cast in that part.

Renge's laugh is basically the evil character laugh, you know like Naga in SLayers, I am was primary worried about someone who would make the laugh to screechy or something... I happen to be one of the people who really love Renge, I think she's awesome because well she is basically making fun of us fans lol... anyways I was worried that they would cast someone who would not be able to do the laugh to the justice it deserves to be done.

But if you are saying that Monica Reil can do it then sweet that is very good news, because that means other then other then Vic and Catlin I think they did awesome job on the cast. Then again in a few months time I hope I will be returning to these forums to eat my words about how much I dislike the casting off Tamaki and Haruhi. Please prove me wrong guys.

Megsee wrote:
Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:46 am

While I AM an FMA fan, I can say that I personally view the cast from both shows separately, but I know that quite a few fans don't...I can see this sort of thing happening at an Ouran panel, but not to the extent that you're thinking. I'm sure there will be a few questions concerning FMA, but I'm sure with Ouran's fanbase we'll still be seeing PLENTY of Ouran.

I agree that Caitlin sounds quite girly (from what I've seen of her anyway) but I'm open to seeing how she'll portray Haruhi, since I know that she's a fan of Ouran herself and she'll be trying her best. Similar situation with Vic. I've seen him play Femio from Princess Tutu (who can be quite similar to Tamaki) and I thought he did a good job. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the final product, but until then I won't be jumping to conclusions.

Also, Monica is listed in the Ouran top at ANN in the cast list, she's hiding, but she should be there. Very Happy

Its nice to see that their are some FMA fans who are all about Ouran when it comes to Ouran, but I am already seeing it happen within the specific anime community I belong to last year for example at one of the con's I go to, there was an incidence where on the way back from the washrooms I was passing by a bunch Vic's fangirls and was cosplaying as a Chestire cat twin and basically the fangirls stopped me, and went on a great big speal about how great it would be if Vic got to be Tamaki because Hello that would bring the greatness of Ed and the FMA gang to Ouran and aren't Ed and Tamaki so much alike, and yeah I basically ran away and went to look for my friends because all they were doing was going on and and on about how Ed and Tamaki where pratically the same character, and such, and now this will be even worse.

Also I will re-check the list to see if I can see Renge.
OTOhime-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Uhhh... What's going on? o_0

http://funimation.com/ouran/
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
OTOhime-chan wrote:
Uhhh... What's going on? o_0

http://funimation.com/ouran/

yea i've been wondering the same thing :/

anyways, i dont know if im happy or not about the cast, but i hope they post a trailer or something soon........
JackCox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
As someone who used to be a Risembool Ranger and has since gotten very frustrated with Vic's tendency to open his mouth and tick off a lot of people...not 100% sure how I feel about him being Tamaki, even though I knew he would be. I know he can do it, though--he pulled off Femio in the Princess Tutu dub, which is a very similar character, so as long as he doesn't go too over-the-top he'll do perfect with it.

Oh gee, thanks for reminding me the guy's a freakin' closet homophobe and likes to utter god more times than I can count stars. I was trying to ignore the fact that Ouran does have the Yaoi subtleties....

You do realize he's been directed by an Openly Gay man on one show (J. Michael Tatum on Aquarion), I admit to feeling slightly awkward around Vic because of his religious beliefs, I have not once asked him his views on Homosexuality for fear I might end up severely disliking him. But Vic is a really nice guy and despite political differences I like him.
Megsee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Its nice to see that their are some FMA fans who are all about Ouran when it comes to Ouran, but I am already seeing it happen within the specific anime community I belong to last year for example at one of the con's I go to, there was an incidence where on the way back from the washrooms I was passing by a bunch Vic's fangirls and was cosplaying as a Chestire cat twin and basically the fangirls stopped me, and went on a great big speal about how great it would be if Vic got to be Tamaki because Hello that would bring the greatness of Ed and the FMA gang to Ouran and aren't Ed and Tamaki so much alike, and yeah I basically ran away and went to look for my friends because all they were doing was going on and and on about how Ed and Tamaki where pratically the same character, and such, and now this will be even worse.

...Excuse me? The same character? Rolling Eyes
To be perfectly honest with you, I would've smacked them over the head and asked them to not interpret every blonde, male character as an extension of Edward Elric.
I will go out on a limb here and say that I'm happy that Vic got the part of Tamaki because before the show was officially licensed, he mentioned at a panel how he would love to have a chance to play Tamaki. I'm a sucker for voice actors that are passionate about their jobs, so I'm happy that he got it. As for the end result, only time will tell...
cally-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh I can't wait!!! I have to own this boxset. Can't wait for October!!! <3
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so, I was really hacked that the website didn't announce the main cast. Good thing there's ANN! I'm going to explode because I've been on pins and needles about this since I first read the manga...and I was spot-on about two or so characters! Very Happy

So, my thoughts. I'll ignore the ... okay, I'll say it, repulsive bitching of others right now...not that there's very much of that, but a little of it bothers me. (What kind of person someone is or how many parts they've gotten has NOTHING to do with the end quality. They get so many parts because they're very talented and will do a part justice, and also, why, they MUST be fairly nice people.)

Caitlin Glass = Haruhi: I mentioned this to my friend, saying "She is the Voice Director for the project. Do you think...? No. She totally doesn't fit the role. Still...she's the voice director, and that's random. I bet she got that part!" I still think she doesn't fit. She has to be mistaken for a MAN, right? She sounds REALLY effeminate. We'll see, though. She's a very competent actress, but that voice register and energy? I...can't see it yet. Can't. This will be very new.

Vic Mignogna = Tamaki: I SO F***ING PREDICTED THIS. Months...(a year?)... ago, I said, "It's either going to be Vic or Chris Patton. Only two people with the right voice and acting ability, because this is the most difficult role to cast...and if Vic doesn't get Tamaki, he'll get Kaoru, and Greg Ayres will get Hikaru. If that doesn't happen, he'll get Nekozawa, because he really wanted to be in the show, if his repetitive statements don't make that pretty obvious..." HOORAY, Vic! Very Happy He's a really good actor, so if you're sick of hearing him, watch it subbed, but I'm sure he'll "king" this part. Great balance of cartoony waffling and smooth sincerity, (or lavished insincerity, in Suoh's case.)

Greg Ayres = Kaoru: Well, he does have the more mellow, "kind" voice. He could easily have done either twin, and I'm not the least bit surprised. Huzzah. It will be interesting to hear him balanced against...

Todd Haberkorn = Hikaru: So, I don't know who this fellow is, but considering how many good actors have been cast so far, (as I said, Caitlin is at least a good actress,) I think he'll be fine.

J. Michael Tatum = Kyoya Ohtori ...Yeah, it fits. Kyoya's not too complicated of a role, anyway. It's a fairly archetypal part, and he sounds very Kyoya-like. I've only heard him in Tsubasa though...

Luci Christian = Mitsukuni Haninozuka: Well, they didn't cast Kimberly Grant, as I feared they might, in keeping with "tradition," if you catch my drift. Luci...can sound male-ish. Which is good. But more than that, she's just a good actress. That's what counts most.

Mike McFarland = Ryuuji "Ranka" Fujioka So long as he doesn't use use his "Ritsu" voice too heavily and sticks with the mellow sound without the screech, this will be a RIOT. Mike Mc is nothing if not very very funny, so this is perfect. I also predicted it, so that makes two accurate guesses, and one...half-accurate, for Greg. (Caitlin doesn't count. I really hoped she wasn't really Haruhi.)

Patrick Seitz = Umehito Nekozawa: Purrrrfect. Kyeh heh heh...

Travis Willingham = Takashi Morinozuka: He has all of three lines, but I haven't heard him in an anime since...well, I was going to say I caught him in Ergo Proxy, but he was in Mushi-Shi right? I saw it subbed...either way, for all his five lines, he'll be a welcome addition. Laughing

Only one question remains...WHERE IS RENGE? Confused EDIT: Oh. Well, that'll do, then. I had predicted Caitlin Glass, but obviously that wasn't right. Hey, what do you know? Monica Rial is an unusually GOOD actress. Again, voice timbre or no voice timbre, this is really a star cast on this show. Some, if not most, of Houston's best are here, even Sabat. It is too bad about Laura Bailey not getting a part, but she has gotten a lot of girls like Haruhi in the past...oh well.

But I'm satisfied. I am attacking teh internets come October for this great girrrrrly show.[/b]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
For all the people talking about Caitlin Glass not fitting Haruhi...who would have thought Maya Sakamoto would fit her? I definitely was shocked when I found out that she was the seiyuu.

Don't judge things too harshly until you have actually seen it.
brittiney360

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Aiko Yamada wrote:
I guess I'm one Risembool Ranger that isn't happy. I love Vic but I really did not want him to play Tamaki. The rest of the cast looks fab, though. I'm definitely looking forward to some boxsets. Smile

No, I'm up there with ya too. I've been a Ranger for a while, but I just can't imagine him being able to pull off Tamaki all that well. I'd rather him have been casted for Nekozawa Sad .
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
brittiney360 wrote:
Aiko Yamada wrote:
I guess I'm one Risembool Ranger that isn't happy. I love Vic but I really did not want him to play Tamaki. The rest of the cast looks fab, though. I'm definitely looking forward to some boxsets. Smile

No, I'm up there with ya too. I've been a Ranger for a while, but I just can't imagine him being able to pull off Tamaki all that well. I'd rather him have been casted for Nekozawa Sad .

Thank you that is what I have been saying all along, he would have been the perfect Nekozawa, and basically I think they made a mistake with this one, I don't think having him as Tamaki will help Ouran in the long one, it might even chase away some of the more devoted fans. I hope not, but it is a possiblity.
skyechan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
I'll reserve my judgement of the cast until we hear them in action. It's impossible to know how well each voice fits each character unless we see footage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
I think they made a mistake with this one, I don't think having him as Tamaki will help Ouran in the long one, it might even chase away some of the more devoted fans. I hope not, but it is a possiblity.

I doubt some of the die hard fans won't buy the series just because Vic is Tamaki. After all, one is not required to listen to the dub track.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6