• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note DVD 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
I really liked this review it more-or-less covers what I've disliked about the series. Although, watching the series ONLY by Adult Swim's dub showing, it was really close to Episode 26 where the general flimsiness of the characters started showing quite badly. There were quite a few little bits people said here that I agree with, one in particular courtesy of konkonsn:

Quote:
In a show dealing with such morally complex themes, nothing is really complex.

The more I got into the story, the more I was questioning people's actions thinking how could a series be going for serious thought when they keep making unrealistic choices. The lack of logic is the kind of stuff you'd see in lighter, fluffier, kiddy fare, it sticks out quite badly in a series like this. I know there's people here saying, "turn your mind off and enjoy the fun, that's the point." But that seems like an oxymoron when the series is about "mind games". I can do that with some things and really enjoy it, but I just can't with things like Death Note.

I can list a ton of spoilers, but I think I've said my piece. I feel relieved I'm not the only person who doesn't get all the praise for Death Note. I'm only scratching my head at some of the ratings. Nothing is said about the vocal performances and yet they end with C's. I just don't understand.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I'm not saying the review is written poorly, my concern is purely with the rating and methodology behind the rating.

Do you really put that much stock in those little letters down at the end of the review? Does flipping between a B and C really matter in the grand scheme of things? I know that, personally, I usually utterly ignore alphanumeric ratings systems in any sense (which is why I have over 100 completed entries on MyAnimeList without a single rating given among them Razz). I'm far more interested in reading what a reviewer thinks of a series and why they do so in their own words, not basing my entire evaluation of a review on a generally-arbitrary subdivided scale.

And seriously, is there any need to re-evaluate things like voice casting, animation quality, and music? Unless there was some horrific production catastrophe halfway through a series (which would obviously be noted in any sensible review), one can assume that you're pretty much getting the same thing as you saw in the first two volumes, whose evaluations are available for all to see. It's rather refreshing to see something that doesn't fall into this pattern of reiteration but instead takes a look at more underlying elements of the show as a whole.

Also, what konkonsn said. Good post.
greyhawk

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
I have absolutely no qualms about admitting this is a great review.
I'm not such a devoted fan of Death Note, and liking an anime series doesn't mean you have to like the main character, which is never more true in DN. It's not a very good sign if you're not particularly fond of the main character and what he does, coupled with some other things like there's no character development at all (Light at the end of the series is not so different from himself at the start)
I supported him at first, but then the question is raised: how many criminals does he kill a day? Does he even have time to look into their cases and judge whether they're worth dying? At one point we even know he's willing to kill even the pettiest criminal just to clear his name and deceive L.
And I hate seeing him smile after every successful move, makes me want to be there and knock him out cold. Snobbish little brat thinking he's all over the top, while in fact he made so many stupid mistakes which ultimately lead to his own death, you can't tell how happy I am to see him gone.
I don't despise his cause. There are some people that I agree should die: badass warlords, corrupted politicians/officials that stand against everything goodness represents... But if only he had known better than to kill the fake L and give the real one hints that he's somewhat related to the police, he would have enjoyed a life bringing criminals to justice (assuming he knew WHO SHOULD DIE, which was never gonna happen). But nah, he screwed up, he became corrupted himself and used the Death Note to kill good police officers (including L), who I can argue are more worthy of living than that half-assed God-complex Kira.
And my most important point here:
Light obviously did some good deeds, but they will by no means cancel out his evil ones. He will be praised, but he will also need to be punished at the same time. That is justice.
skyesage

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
Oh my god Rolling Eyes

Fine, then I'll just say that I'd have absolutely no problem with this review if it were in a column.

...And I was just saying that it is a valid point that it doesn't read like a 'normal' review...which could still be negative and still deal with exactly the same thing.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:05 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Xanas wrote:
I'm not saying the review is written poorly, my concern is purely with the rating and methodology behind the rating.

Do you really put that much stock in those little letters down at the end of the review? Does flipping between a B and C really matter in the grand scheme of things?

Don't get me wrong. I disagree with what he wrote. I'm saying it wasn't poorly written.
retty

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote
Actually having read the review again I have another problem with it. It isn't at all specific to the episodes on the DVD, but is more a general review of the series. What's the point of reviewing a series DVD by DVD if you don't actually review the content of the DVD and the individual episodes in the context of the series so far? This is such a general review that it could easily be applied to the first two DVDs too.
Mikuji

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
... but thumbs up for sticking by your guns and stating that you hated it.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
retty wrote:
Actually having read the review again I have another problem with it. It isn't at all specific to the episodes on the DVD, but is more a general review of the series. What's the point of reviewing a series DVD by DVD if you don't actually review the content of the DVD and the individual episodes in the context of the series so far? This is such a general review that it could easily be applied to the first two DVDs too.

Well, I think this is about the point that "dirty" feeling hits you. I felt physically ill during the Misora episode on the second DVD, and by the end of that DVD, I wasn't sure how much more I wanted to watch. Then this DVD starts off with L talking down to the other investigators and the director of the NPA getting told off by Soichiro. The incompetence of the police is really laid out at this point.

But I also do agree with you in some respects. The third DVD actually has all of my favourite episodes on it; L seems to be winning, Light gets taken down a few notches, Soichiro and the rest of the police force take a stand, there might be a light at the end of the tunnel...and so on. So the review probably could have taken more of that into account. But I also completely missed these episodes (I'm following on Adult Swim as well) and was well into the series when I finally got the DVD, so...

One other thing that really bothers me about this series. Is it actually written in the "How To" manual that you don't go to Heaven or Hell if you use the notebook? I could've sworn it was in the anime, but the manga leaves me doubting that.

I'm asking because that is one part of the series that really bothered me. As the series wore on, it seemed more and more people were quite willing to throw their afterlife away to use the Death Note. I would think that's a major consideration when I'd choose to use it or not, yet the characters don't seem to mind at all. Also, it makes Light more of a bastard for what he did to Raye.
Seif

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm asking because that is one part of the series that really bothered me. As the series wore on, it seemed more and more people were quite willing to throw their afterlife away to use the Death Note. I would think that's a major consideration when I'd choose to use it or not, yet the characters don't seem to mind at all. Also, it makes Light more of a bastard for what he did to Raye.

Well, spoiler[Light and Misa are the only one aware of this rule. ]Anyway, the point is moot becausespoiler[ the last rule in the manga is "All humans go to nothingness when they die. There is no heaven or hell"]

Last edited by Seif on Thu May 01, 2008 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Carl, I'm just curious. Who is the weak performer of the English dub you mentioned earlier?

And wow, quite a debate going on here. I guess I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. But for the record, the show lost that idea of "Do I have the right to pass judgment?" way back on Volume 1. Now it just seems to be a crazy roller coaster ride for Light to keep his identity as Kira a secret while using his position to keep killing criminals. He's become quite arrogant and I can only imagine something is going to eventually turn around and bite him in the buttocks hard.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
If anything, the chief problem I had with the review was that it was that it seemed too much like a rant about one aspect of the show than an actual review of the volume. I have no qualms of him not liking the show's nature or being critical of it, but it wasn't very analytical of the show as a whole and seemed to just devolve into a drawn-out, rambling argument. Even some of the previously mentioned beginning parts of it are never really delved into and don't match with the rest, and the preview blurb is very misleading (making his view sound positive when it was negative). Overall, it seemed like the reviewer got lost in his own review.

Personally, I have had no problem with how the people act in the series and given their respective circumstances, I found their subsequent actions beliveable for the most part. Light is made to be unabashedly unappealing, but considering that he's the main character and that there are people out there who share the same sentiments as he does (especially from the beginning, prior to going mad with power), it isn't at all surprising to see people like him regardless. As for the Death Note rules, their restrictive nature was described in the series, so I had no problem with them either.

DN is not a bad show (though I can't call it a "masterpiece" either, yet) or morally challenging/corrupt. It's a pretty good show with a few flaws in its storytelling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really have a problem with the review, I know that I love the show, so it really doesn't matter what others think of it. However, I do take issue with how it's presented on the home page. It reads like the typical "Death Note is the greatest ever" (which I'll admit, it's not), but then the review was nothing like that. I guess that I prefer headlines that actually give an accurate picture of what I'm going to read.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:22 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

Well, spoiler[Light and Misa are the only one aware of this rule. ]Anyway, the point is moot becausespoiler[ the last rule in the manga is "All humans go to nothingness when they die. There is no heaven or hell"]

Ah, I thought that only applied to users of the Death Note. spoiler[So the series, in the end, is sort of morally moot. I mean, Light gets killed, but he doesn't really get punished for his deeds beyond that; no more so than, say, Soichiro is punished for doing good...]

So wow. What a terribly depressing series. I definitely like the anime's ending better then.
Belgand

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:24 am Reply with quote
I guess it just depends on who you are and what you're looking for in your entertainment.

I'm a pacifist fundamentally opposed to the death penalty in any circumstances, but I don't even begin to feel any sort of sense of moral outrage. It's just a story, it's not real, and I'm detached enough from it that I don't have any feelings for any of the characters in this or any other show. I mean, sure, I might enjoy them being on the show and I'll certainly complain when they're written out, but they're entirely fictional and merely there to serve the purpose of the plot.

I see where you're coming from, but ultimately I just can't feel the same way. Just because it was abhorrent that the US conducted a show trial just to execute Saddam Hussein (for example) doesn't mean I can't also enjoy Death Note.

At the same time I can fully understand what you mean about writing a negative review about something universally loved. I get the same thing just about every time I mention that I disliked Princess Mononoke (to the point of actually falling asleep a few times in the middle of it) and Miyazaki in general or that Pixar have really only made one or two really good films or just the other day when I finally found that, to me, Mushi-shi is actually rather dull.

I might disagree with your point of view, but at least you have one and you have coherent and relevant reasons for feeling the way you do. And that's all that really matters in the end.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:02 pm Reply with quote

Regardless, I make my own choices about what I like and what I don't like about the series. This is only one person's review.

I'll admit I generally don't like reading reviews because it gives me the sense of an inferiority complex. >.>; Is that odd?

People are cheering because "wow, despite the hype, I finally am glad to see someone who thinks it sucks just like I do," while others are.."I mean, wtf...it's really that good but he's making it sound like a rant more than a review."

I'll be honest, I like the fact that the author wanted us to make it our own conclusions; It gives more ground to cover on a discussion. Must EVERYTHING be revealed to make a good story? x_x I don't personally think so.

But hey, Death Note isn't the only popular show that may not be one to get into. I still don't understand Evangelion or Haruhi, and it took me forever to get into Naruto; I mean there are some shows that are big and I probably may or may not like it, despite the "Epic-ness."

Anywho... Good go on the "review." It was quite different from the others, being that I usually would have an understanding of it, but for some reason, I did not. Either way, I shall watch it myself and bring my own humble opinion to others who would actually care. xP

I'll have to agree with Belgand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6