• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-04-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
HitorikiShadow wrote:
I really need to rewatch the anime, but I still don't remember Matthew even appearing in the anime. Maybe they did explain a little bit of how it happened. Still, my issue with the epilogue is more the portrayal of Suguru and the complete shaft of almost all of the side characters.

To deal with the first part of your point, it's easy to not completely understand what you're seeing in that final episode because spoiler[Mahoro looks like Matthew. In the manga Matthew explains that she was actually patterned off of the same person that Matthew was, while the anime gives more of the impression that Mahoro is an independent incarnation of Matthew. Thus, when it looks like Mahoro is appearing in the nude in that final episode, that's actually Matthew, and that's why Suguru's grandfather makes the comment at one point about how Mahoro has "the soul of SAINT." When she dies, she reintegrates with Matthew, who decides to split her off again and send her back to Suguru 20 years later.] Concerning your second point, see below.

Goodpenguin wrote:
It's been awhile since I watched that series, but I thought it was a bad turn, and something that creeps up quite a bit in anime.

[food-related analogy]

That's the issue with shows like 'Mahoromatic', there's no 'organic' consistency. Of course stories don't always have to stay on one emotional setting, but at the same time the changes/currents have to realistically be 'woven' into the setting. Shows like 'Mahoromatic' give the viewer pure comedy/light-heartedness through every fiber and build certain expectations, then almost schizophrenically change in tone and direction. If you wish to be very literal, yes, things in life certainly change emotionally, but works of fiction are crafted, and people build expectations from what story threads they are given. Some shows (like a Cowboy Bebop) mix humor with pathos consistently in it's story threads; the viewer may be sad, but their not surprised by an ending. A 'Mahoromatic', to double back on my analogy, gives the viewer strawberries, and then pours on vinegar. There two fine ingredients, but that's not how you use them.

I've bolded the point where your interpretation falters, as while Mahoromatic was primarily light-hearted comedy for much of its run, it was never purely light-hearted or comedy - and that makes all the difference. I have often described the series as having "an underlying sadness and sobering sense of inevitability" despite its normally cheery disposition, and that can particularly be seen in the "Mahoro stops functioning in xxx days" countdown at the end of each episode and in Mahoro's occasional comments about her purpose for being with Suguru. Thus the serious parts at the end of each series are just a natural outgrowth of what the series has been setting up all along rather than any "180 degree turn" or "pouring vinegar on strawberries."

And that's why the last episode of Something More Beautiful fits. Both series devoted so much behind-the-humor effort to setting up the tragic situation and Suguru's gradual acceptance of, and reliance on, Mahoro as a replacement for the family he's lost that spoiler[Suguru feeling deeply betrayed by Mahoro going away just as his parents did, despite Mahoro's tearful promise at the end of the first season] isn't at all inconsistent behavior or storytelling. That the story "gives the shaft" to some of the supporting cast (something partly corrected in the manga, incidentally) shouldn't be a big issue, either, since this series was always about Suguru and Mahoro anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Quote:
Honestly, I don't think saveouranime.com are going to have any impact at all.

Giving the honorless anime "fan" an excuse to remain honorless and not buy the anime titles they like. What a neat idea, Answerman.

Right. Blame Zac. It's all his fault. He's responsible for lung cancer and global warming, too, you know.

Tyrenol wrote:
In fact, that idea is so great that it worked well in Europe. "Essentially NO market in anime whatsoever."

Spurious claim backed by unsupported statement of (untrue) "fact".

Tyrenol wrote:
I'm surprised. Really. The lack of backbone here and there...

Ad hominem attack, scattered far and wide.

Tyrenol wrote:
I wasn't paying attention and nearly broke my left arm. It was painful as hell. I wonder if you'd feel the same pain after saying that.

This is supposed to be a metaphor, I'm sure, but your awesome IQ overwhelms me entirely, and I am at a loss to understand what the point of it is.

Summa summarum:

You, sir, are a troll.

- abunai
Those bunnies? They're not conspiring. They're drawing lots to see who gets to be lapin à la moutarde...

Last edited by abunai on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
nargun wrote:
Paludis wrote:
Why does everyone hate Eva's ending so much? Sure the ending to the TV series by itself sucked badly, but we have EoE, and I think it's a great ending to the series. Maybe it's because I watched EoE before the TV end that I don't have these traumatic memories of the TV end, but now I actually quite enjoy watching both endings, for different perspectives on the show.

In most cases, it's because they didn't want their precious mecha genre to be deconstructed.

Or because A: It's largely animated in crayon, B: It ignores all of the characters conflict resolutions besides Shinji's and C: It doesn't do anything to explain what is going on at ALL (don't say it was intentional, Anno ran out of money). Talking about the TV end of course, EoE is a different beast, and probably not what most people refer to when saying the shows' ending sucked.

If the material that was in "Death & Rebirth" had been episode 25 and there had been only one head-trip episode, I think more people would have been okay with it. As it is, however, it explicitly violates Chekhov's law of drama: we see Misato with her gun, but we don't see her use it (until the movies). Not only is that emblematic of the plotlines that weren't resolved properly (your point B), having the gun around and apparently unfired confuses the resolution of other plot threads, namely spoiler[Kaji's death.]
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha! Sounds like someone got PWNED! By the master no less. Not just a master, but the master. Rolling Eyes

Gee. I can't help but laugh at him. He calls you a newb, yet isn't it more the newbie anime fans who are the ones downloading? Never mind the punk can't even type in the actual English language.

As for people taking personal offense when shows they like are criticized. There's someone at our club who openly admits to liking some movies. Doom being the first example. X-men 3 was another one which a bunch of us tried to convince him that it was a horrible horrible movie. The Juggernaut alone. When the creators of a movie pay more attention to a vulgar drunk YouTube video than to years of story and character, that is a red flag for a bad movie.

I can somewhat understand this in some cases. Sometimes people get religious over some shows. Be it Star Wars or Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I think it's a privilege to call yourself an Evangelion fan and it's something you have to earn. And because an Evangelion fan does, he or she has the ability to create new and better realities, and improve conditions.

Being an Evangelion fan, when you drive past an accident, it's not like anyone else, it's, you drive past, you know you have to do something about it. You know you are the only one who can really help. That's what drives me.

I mean, have you met a Narutard? Ha ha ha ha ha! What a beautiful thing, maybe, one day, it will be like that. Wow. Narutards, they'll just read about them in the history books.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
I've bolded the point where your interpretation falters, as while Mahoromatic was primarily light-hearted comedy for much of its run, it was never purely light-hearted or comedy - and that makes all the difference. I have often described the series as having "an underlying sadness and sobering sense of inevitability" despite its normally cheery disposition, and that can particularly be seen in the "Mahoro stops functioning in xxx days" countdown at the end of each episode and in Mahoro's occasional comments about her purpose for being with Suguru. Thus the serious parts at the end of each series are just a natural outgrowth of what the series has been setting up all along rather than any "180 degree turn" or "pouring vinegar on strawberries."

I knew when I wrote my previous post the foreshadowing was going to come up, but stating this is a matter of taste and not 'right or wrong', the ending (to me) was still massively out of character with what the writer(s) had previously crafted. A viewer may have expected a bitter-sweet ending, but bitter-sweet in comparative measure to how most of the series ran. 'Mahoromatics' ending fits in a very dry, literal sense, but I think if you stuck a dozen people in a room and showed them the last few episodes and then asked them to describe what type of show got them to this point, they'd describe/expect anything but how the bulk of 'Mahoromatic' actually carried itself.

The issue of interpretation is a tough one to always see eye to eye on, or even accurately convey, but I feel folks can get hung up over explaining why something theoretically works/fits, rather then if the writer(s) blending the story effectively made it work. I understand how the pieces of 'Mahoromatic' can be used to emphasize a rather melancholy tale of belonging/humanity/sacrifice, but I don't think the series was put together with the proper 'framework' to either ready a viewer for the ending or effectively carry it off. In fact, I think 'Mahoromatic' is an egregious offender even given the usual 'series tone shift-GO!' antics of anime. Viewers may have expected some inevitable sadness, but the ending to a story that made it's mark with an underlying goodness ended with a bitter and resentful epilogue. Again, I understand the 'why' (literal explanation), but story's rise and fall on the 'how'; 'How did the story get you from point A to point B?' On this one the 'how' is with a massive, out-of-tone downer that doesn't track at all with the bulk of the series, even with a nod that the viewer could expect some bitter-sweet to the ending.

Again, individual perceptions, mileage will vary as the saying goes.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
I knew when I wrote my previous post the foreshadowing was going to come up, but stating this is a matter of taste and not 'right or wrong', the ending (to me) was still massively out of character with what the writer(s) had previously crafted. A viewer may have expected a bitter-sweet ending, but bitter-sweet in comparative measure to how most of the series ran. 'Mahoromatics' ending fits in a very dry, literal sense, but I think if you stuck a dozen people in a room and showed them the last few episodes and then asked them to describe what type of show got them to this point, they'd describe/expect anything but how the bulk of 'Mahoromatic' actually carried itself.

The issue of interpretation is a tough one to always see eye to eye on, or even accurately convey, but I feel folks can get hung up over explaining why something theoretically works/fits, rather then if the writer(s) blending the story effectively made it work. I understand how the pieces of 'Mahoromatic' can be used to emphasize a rather melancholy tale of belonging/humanity/sacrifice, but I don't think the series was put together with the proper 'framework' to either ready a viewer for the ending or effectively carry it off. In fact, I think 'Mahoromatic' is an egregious offender even given the usual 'series tone shift-GO!' antics of anime. Viewers may have expected some inevitable sadness, but the ending to a story that made it's mark with an underlying goodness ended with a bitter and resentful epilogue. Again, I understand the 'why' (literal explanation), but story's rise and fall on the 'how'; 'How did the story get you from point A to point B?' On this one the 'how' is with a massive, out-of-tone downer that doesn't track at all with the bulk of the series, even with a nod that the viewer could expect some bitter-sweet to the ending.

Differing perspectives, I guess, as I don't agree in the slightest with the bold statements above. Setting the (as you put it) "'dry, literal sense" aside, the endings felt like part of natural, well-justified and well-developed progressions to me, and it's not in any way a betrayal of the earlier material, which is overtly humorous but somewhat tragic underneath rather than having an "underlying goodness." (Not sure how you can justify that statement given that one of the underlying plot devices is that spoiler[Mahoro sees being Suguru's maid partly as an act of atonement for having to kill his father and partly as a means to establish a place to call home before she (effectively) dies.])

The epilogue episode isn't purely "bitter and resentful," either. What about spoiler[the peace between Earth and SAINT which led to great developments]? What about the mentions of Minawa's status? And what about the closing scenes? (Yes, I know some people interpret that as a spoiler[dying delusion] but I don't buy that for a second.) There's enough positive content in that episode to save it.

And yes, I'm fully aware that my viewpoint on the last episode puts me in the minority. That doesn't mean I'm wrong, however. Wink

Really, it sounds like your bigger issue is with tone changes in anime in general. Perhaps growing up on dramadies like M*A*S*H* is why they don't faze me at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Summa summarum:

You, sir, are a troll.

Hey. It's not my fault that I'm a productive member of the outside world and you aren't.

Hey, I got a better idea: Send me $525 monthly for my rent and start buying me food. Then, maybe, your insults might sting a bit more.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Quote:
Really, it sounds like your bigger issue is with tone changes in anime in general. Perhaps growing up on dramadies like M*A*S*H* is why they don't faze me at all.

That might be a fair assessment, but I watch far more Japanese/Hong Kong movies/shows then anime, and they've got a lot of tone-shifting as well, so I'm not overly surprised by it. Leaving behind any fancy pretense, largely 'Mahoromatic' struck me as a fun show with a robot fighting chick, goofy guy who was inevitably going to learn that trademark 'Really Important Life Lesson', and a bunch o' fun with a flimsy, stock 'Secret Aliens Organization' for pretense. Suddenly at the end, with only some tepid foreshadowing, the writer(s) apparently wanted the viewer to take it REALLY SERIOUSLY!, and cobbled on an ending that seemed to reach for 'deep resolution' a little more then the series had earned up to that point.

Actually, I thought the 'Bounty Hunter' ending was cool on its own (and I'll tip my hat the last exchange was pretty funny), but I would have liked to see a show that took itself more seriously be built to fit that ending, and let my goofy, robot-fighting, T&A maid show end in a way befitting of how it actually ran. I see what your getting at with how things fit the background plot, but I just didn't think the background plot was ever sold that seriously until the writer(s) wanted a serious ending. A show mixing, in a thoughtful, melancholy way, the interactions of a fated couple against the backdrop of an ultimately uncaring organization controlling the strings sounds interesting, but 'Mahoromatic' is about a robot girl who worries about her bust size and occasionally beats up a bad guy for 80% of the time, with a nice bit of poignancy/relationship material thrown in. It's like somebody decided to splice the last 20 minutes of 'Blade Runner' on the end of 'The Fifth Element'.

I guess that's really my 'bigger issue' with anime; a lot of it builds fun, then makes dubious grabs at 'seriousness' that often feel ill-contrived and awfully adolescent, as well as unearned by previous story depth. There are certainly works that blend elements together successfully, but there's also a big portion that seem unsatisfied just giving the viewer a good time (be it comedy or pathos) and reach beyond their means. Some of it is Asian culture mixes screwball comedy with pathos at a pace/proportion jarring to Western viewers. Or I'm just old, cranky, and like to complain, either works. Wink
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
abunai wrote:
Summa summarum:

You, sir, are a troll.

Hey. It's not my fault that I'm a productive member of the outside world and you aren't.

Hey, I got a better idea: Send me $525 monthly for my rent and start buying me food. Then, maybe, your insults might sting a bit more.

I'm inclined to agree with abunai. I think that intentionally or not you grossly misread Zac's response; all he meant to say was that it was a naive gesture, though a noble one, which is something I think everyone can agree with. People write in to Zac for his opinion, and that is what he gave; I should hope he is entitled to one.

I think I would see you in a more positive light if you actually had something constructive to say about the matter.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Differing perspectives, I guess, as I don't agree in the slightest with the bold statements above. Setting the (as you put it) "'dry, literal sense" aside, the endings felt like part of natural, well-justified and well-developed progressions to me, and it's not in any way a betrayal of the earlier material, which is overtly humorous but somewhat tragic underneath rather than having an "underlying goodness." (Not sure how you can justify that statement given that one of the underlying plot devices is that spoiler[Mahoro sees being Suguru's maid partly as an act of atonement for having to kill his father and partly as a means to establish a place to call home before she (effectively) dies.])

The epilogue episode isn't purely "bitter and resentful," either. What about spoiler[the peace between Earth and SAINT which led to great developments]? What about the mentions of Minawa's status? And what about the closing scenes? (Yes, I know some people interpret that as a spoiler[dying delusion] but I don't buy that for a second.) There's enough positive content in that episode to save it.

And yes, I'm fully aware that my viewpoint on the last episode puts me in the minority. That doesn't mean I'm wrong, however. Wink

Okay, I gotta speak up here, cause there has to be someone here other than Key who will defend poor Mahoromatic.
The people who claim that Mahoromatic was simply a light-hearted, good natured perverted comedy must have been watching a different show than I was, because if it was just a bit of feel-good comedic fun, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much, as I find light-hearted good-time harem anime to be very boring.
There was definitely an underlying sadness to the show, that ran the entire length of the series, starting with, like Key said, the countdown of Mahoro's remaining lifespan that appeared at the ending of the first episode, and continued through most of the series. One episode in particular was spoiler[the festival episode, and at the end, Suguru is very cheerily talking about going to the festival with Mahoro next year, and she says that she looks forward to it too. The episode then ends with Mahoro's lifespan countdown, which is less than a year. The episode was very lighthearted, but that countdown is there to drive home the fact that Mahoro is going to die, and that her death is going to have a serious impact on those around her, especially Suguru] This is why I was surprised about the Answerfans claim that the ending was totally out of the blue, as I felt that the series had been preparing us for the ending from the very first episode.
I have to say too, that even if spoiler[Mahoro coming back to Suguru at the end was a dying delusion, I still wouldn't call it a bitter or resentful ending, as Suguru got to experience the happiness that he had lost 20 years ago, one more time]
But then again, I also liked the endings for Evangelion, and it seems like everyone and their Mom hated how Evangelion ended, so maybe I'm a poor judge of good anime endings.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:

I thought you were a "productive member of society"?

Besides, I gave at the office.

You need a new cardboard sign, son. The one that says "Will troll for money" just isn't doing it for you.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
posterior_praiser

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Egret wrote:
I think probably the most disappointing anime ending I've ever seen was the ending of Ayashi no Ceres. I knew going in that it was going to be a mixed bag of happy/sad, and I was able to handle spoiler[Aki's death, because it had to happen]. The last four minutes totally threw me for a loop, though. I mean, having spoiler[Tooya admit that he's going to die soon and that he wants Yuhi to "take care of Aya" when he's dead] with like thirty seconds left to go? Why couldn't it just end with the happy?

*frustration*

*agrees so much* Yes. spoiler[Aki was for sure my favorite character, and I was resigned to him dying pretty much from the beginning, but the whole thing at the end? It made me so sad! And I felt so bad for Yuuhi too. He's the fallback guy. Like WTF? I dunno. It left me with alot of no feeeling, but i think at the same time I liked it for that too @.@]
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Love the bunny picture. I love The Vision of Escaflowne, but the ending left something to be desired. We wait for 25 episodes for spoiler[Van and Hitomi to finally realize they love each other, and just as their about to kiss, the scren goes white. Oh and then Hitomi goes home]. I was so bummed. I was also bummed with the ending of the Twelve Kingdoms because it left so many unanswered questions. But thats because Fuyumi Ono hasn't released any more Twelve Kingdoms novels since 2001, and so the animators have no source materials. So I can't blame them for that.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Berserkfury819 wrote:
Love the bunny picture. I love The Vision of Escaflowne, but the ending left something to be desired. We wait for 25 episodes for spoiler[Van and Hitomi to finally realize they love each other, and just as their about to kiss, the scren goes white. Oh and then Hitomi goes home.] I was so bummed. I was also bummed with the ending of the Twelve Kingdoms because it left so many unanswered questions. But thats because Fuyumi Ono hasn't released any more Twelve Kingdoms novels since 2001, and so the animators have no source materials. So I can't blame them for that.

You should probably spoiler tag that for anyone who hasn't seen Escaflowne.

Last edited by Quark on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote
SalarymanJoe wrote:
The column seemed to go by quickly this week... Probably just me, since I found the titles that the Answerfans were writing about and only read the Fullmetal Alchemist one.

@SaveOurAnime: While a noble venture, I think it suffers from "too little, too late" and bringing nothing new to the table. Like Zac, I think it will be pretty ineffective. I guess I can give them a "good on" for trying to do something they feel strongly about but I think its a lost cause. Hopefully they'll never turn into the farce that Save Our Sailors (now showing my Internet age) became.

I don't think it's a bad idea, the site's pretty basic in terms of info. Overall, I don't think most fans had any idea when digital distribution of fansubs started just what kind of thing it would evolve into. I guess fans were naive, explaining it away with "fans will support it when it's licensed", which is becoming less the case [and now naive in the "it's not hurting if I download" sense].

This is further complicated by when you google Save Our Anime, the first few hits are a YouTube channel to "save" anime from being removed on YouTube. You'd think they'd understand the people who create the anime itself are removing it, but then again some fans have really thick skulls. The crayons, they are dull.

Still, there's more then enough of us buying dvd's to keep things going Anime smile And to have things weighed more in our favor in terms of what gets made in Japan (coproductions for the win Anime smile ) and licensed here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7