• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Slayers Fantasy TV Anime Series in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

I assume yes, or this is one of those examples of a forum where the staff doesn't play by their own rules.

Jesus, I'm just messing around. You guys need to lighten up a little bit.
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Please let Megumi be Lina again, PLEASE!!

Slayers was nothing great, but it was a lot of fun and rarely took itself seriously, so it's always been an easy watch for me.

However, yeah, the anime industry in Japan is in trouble, because the money from the overseas licenses seems to be drying up. So, like the early 90's, they are going with the safe bets. Macross, Gundam, Slayers, Trigun, etc.

Speaking of 90's anime and Megumi, I wonder what the likelyhood of them animating the last Ranma story is.
Nebs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I never liked Slayers for its comedy. In fact I don't think I ever turn to anime for comedic value (except maybe School Rumble & Funi's version of Shin-Chan). I can get that fix elsewhere & at better mileage. But I still loved Slayers for its charm. Definitely one of my all-time favorite series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow... my 'gateway' show's coming back! This is exciting and a lil' scary all at once (can't help but be a lil' worried they'll do something stupid, like make a harem or moe show out of it...)

The excitement is far greater, though! Very Happy
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
This is exciting news, I just hope they don't change the character appearance too much.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:
Please let Megumi be Lina again, PLEASE!!

It could never be anything without Megumi as Lina, it just wouldn't Sad
Sakurin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Though, I've never been a huge fan of Slayers (And I'll fully admit to not giving it enough of a chance, only having seen a couple episodes) I still hope that this will go well, and leave open the possibility of more being made of some other older series.

Also, as an adoring Megumi fan I agree that she is the ONLY voice for Lina, and she absolutely must sing the opening and ending themes for it. Those Megumi songs were what first got me hooked on J-Pop music and the thought of possible new ones coming out makes me downright giddy.
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
This does seem to be the return of the 90's here.

To have both Trigun and Slayers making a return as a new series and a movie, is really going to be interesting.

Only thing I can think of that could be interesting to bring back as well that's hasn't been touched upon as much as I've noticed lately is some of Kenichi Sonoda's works with Gunsmith Cats and Riding Bean Bandit.

I'm a fan of the 2 series/mangas but there hasn't been as much mentioned about them for quite some time.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
Well this "retro" move is not just anime you know, look at movies coming out this summer... still if they had to pick one to bring back from the past I am glad it was this one.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
My, this was unexpected. I was just reminiscing about the good old days of Slayers, and poof, we get a new series announced. Somebody cyber-pinch me, I think I'm dreaming!

There has to be Zelgadiss. Hikaru Midorikawa must be Zelgadiss. Hikaru Midorikawa will always be Zelgadiss. Yes, the big bad Diss has returned to reclaim his fame! Twisted Evil
feytaline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
*lights incense, claps hands and prays*

PLEASEDONTLETITBELIKETRY. PLEASEDONTLETITBELIKETRY. PLEASEDONTLETITBELIKETRY.

Ahem. Excuse me.

This is... interesting. I was a huge Slayers fangirl, but that was so long ago now... I FEEL OLD. I don't know how it'll fare in this day and age of ninjas and craziness. Wink
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Shocked Very Happy

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!

DRAGON SLAVE!

THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD ALL DAY! (I'm still psyched about Trigun, but Slayers is more exciting to me~ X3)

Wow Slayers~ Dude..what really got me into anime was Slayers! It was all thanks to the International Channel (AZN) that I was able to see this! Too bad it's being canceled in a few months..(RIP IChannel). Megumi Hayashibara was my first J-Pop artist love (now it's Rica Matsumoto xD)~

Slayers was just wow. xD I loved each episode and I remembered watching the marathons late at night before parents yelled at me to go to sleep. It was also my first Japanese with English subtitles anime and it will always be special in my heart.

One of my favorite fantasy series~

What a coincidence that I just finished the 5th Light Novel of Slayers today and found this out. Haha. I even got my friend addicted to it and letting her borrow the light novel series. :3 I need to get my hands on vol. 6!

Lina Inverse will always be my favorite sorceress~
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:03 am Reply with quote
I knew it, I knew the events of 2007 were merely the sign of things to come.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote
How can anyone misconstrue this as anything less than awesome?

I have to disagree that comedy was the only thing with Slayers. To me, Slayers was always more cute than outright hilarious though it did have some laugh out loud moments for me throughout. But the true appeal is the darker fantasy and serious moments. Slayers TV shows had TONS of that especially in second halves.

That and we'll most likely see the same quality of direction (SAME DIRECTOR! THANK GOD) and if Lina is in there, we're going to definitely see most of the essential seiyuu come back in their old roles.

Even if it's a total side-story with new characters, I wouldn't complain because of how involving the fantasy world is in Slayers.

I just don't see the correlation of older franchises being 'milked' because like some have said, Slayers didn't ever end. Ditto to stuff like Trigun and Hellsing which are getting their due on animated form. I don't call that 'milking' or raising dead franchises at all. Just all in due as I see it.

I mean, come on. Macross, Slayers, Trigun. If you aren't happy about all this, then you must really be new to anime.
Zrana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
Excuse me while I PRAY for the original cast back as the leads.

I mean, from what I heard way back when I first got into Slayers, Megumi Hayashibara was partially the inspiration for the creation of Lina Inverse, so she HAS to come back! Hikaru Midorikawa, Akira Ishida, other names I never did quite get memorized as well...

I know there's plenty of material in the novels that never made it to either tv or the movies or OVAs. Stuff that involves Dynast and one of his generals was in there.

I'll hope for the level of Next. Next had good plot AND good filler. (And the first episode of Next was my first experience with Slayers, instantly hooking me on the series. I don't know if I would have gotten as hooked had I started with the first season with it's so much slower introduction of characters.) THe second half, the Copy Rezo arc, of the first season was also some good stuff, as were many of the actual key plot parts of Try (the filler fell flat for me mostly).

I'll watch it reguardless of if it doesn't fulfill my dreams of original cast and using novel plots, and reserve final judgment til then.

And holy crap, I still remember the chant to the Dragon Slave. *thinks* Nope, can't remember Giga Slave though.

OMG SLAYERS! My first real fandom after Sailor Moon! The first series I consistantly spent too much money on too! *pets her oversized folder of manga art prints, and pencil boards*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5