• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
List your personal top five most overated anime (and do you feel the rankings are fair here?)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Quote:
misogynistic, pseudo-intellectual emo garbage

Ironically, I've heard this about Death Note too. But everyone has his own opinion of course. Very Happy

...In what warped mind is Death Note misogynistic or emo? Does having death as a central theme suddenly make something emo by default in the minds of these hipsters? And anyone who calls it pseudo-intellectual, again, clearly doesn't have the patience to really think about and understand it.

But I bet they all have the patience to sit around and endlessly analyze Evangelion to death, still trying to find the "brilliant religious philosofeez!" Anno supposedly wrote into it.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
@TheSwedishElf
Death Note was analyzed enough in the review threads here so no reason to speak about it extensively here. I however think that it can (emphasis here) be seen as sexist (which, I know, is a bit different from misogynistic). And its emo-ness is attributed to the show because it is quite nihilistic. I will not agree that death is a central theme there because the show has nothing to say about it. There is no statement about how we cope with it or what we think of it. There's a guy who kills people with a notebook and another guy who tries to stop him, that is what Death Note is about. If you can assign some intellectual messages to it, good for you, but from my point of view you would be doing the same thing you accuse Evangelion fans of doing (good for them too).
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
The difference between me and them is that DN DOES have intellectual topics and thought-provoking mixed messages to be found that don't even require much reaching or digging, whereas Evangelion doesn't have any genuine depth or religious philosophy, it's just a fanservicey mecha cartoon about a wimpy bastard who ends up responsible for the deaths of everyone he cares about because he lets everyone play him like a chess piece.

And speaking of Evangelion, I think that right there is the #1 most overrated anime of ALL TIME. And on another related note, Rei Ayanami is not only the easiest role Megumi Hayashibara has ever had in her entire career, she's also barely a character, more like a plot device.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Nadesico
I can appreciate the meta stuff (especially Gekiganger), but that's about it. Couldn't bring myself to really like any of the characters and the serious stuff and the comedy didn't mesh nearly as well as they should've.

That's not really overrated, as is not Evangelion (look at the ratings people), but I do share your sentiments on this. As a mecha fan I was pretty hyped for the show considering its strong following, but it really is the worst mess of different genres I've seen. At one moment it's hot blooded super robot action and the next moment someone gets murdered in cold blood? And that is followed by jokes? WTF. By far the worst transitions I've ever seen in anime. I know that it's supposed to be a satire of sorts, but it just doesn't work.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Uh huh. Sure thing. No one likes it cause it's a genuinely good show, they just like it because it's what was on Cartoon Network at the time. Keep telling yourself that, maybe it'll eventually magically be true.

The comments in this thread have the power to invalidate your entire position regarding the "masterpiece" rating of Death Note.

My favorite posts are those who exclaim "I'm voting for this one because everyone else said it was good."

You're going to need to bring much more to this discussion if you intend on convincing me Death Note earned those votes.

LOL.

Never mind. We'll just agree to disagree, Death Note fanboy.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
@TheSwedishElf
Speaking about Evangelion, I would actually agree with you about it being overrated because there are a lot of people who (like you apparently) miss the point of that show (not entirely their fault imho) and try to find things that are most likely not there. It is however one of the reasons for its continuous popularity.

An interesting thing about Megumi Hayashibara. According to Yuko Miyamura (Asuka) in life she's exactly the opposite of Rei. Besides before Eva she usually had the roles of genki girls and it seems Anno chose her and other voice actors for roles that were different from the ones they usually played. So I would guess that playing Rei was actually quite dificult for Hayashibara.
wcsinn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching this thread for a couple of days, and it has developed pretty much as I expected - two groups squaring off and going on endlessly about how the other group is wrong, their favorite is the only true masterpiece and no one else has any idea what they are talking about. What has surprised me is that not a single person has addressed the second half of the OP - are the rankings fair.

In short, no they aren't! But I doubt that any ranking system will ever be truly fair - the entire system is simply to subjective. This is even more so when (like ANN) a large number of people are allowed to add to the rankings - some will like a particular show, some will not. That doesn't really say anything about the value or quality of the series, it simply reflects that person's point of view and/or preferences. (BTW - are we all so narrow-minded that anything we don't personally like is automatically garbage?)

I personally believe that rankings become more useful when they are the work of a single individual - Captain X here on the forums is a good example. I personally don't share his tastes, but if you do - there is a very good chance you will like what he rates highly. Even the reverse can be true, if you tend to disagree or have different tastes than a given reviewer you can always invert the rankings - as there will be a good chance you will enjoy what he pans.

As far as masterpiece rankings - I feel they're pretty much useless. By definition a masterpiece is "an outstanding work, achievement, or performance - the most outstanding piece of work of a creative artist, craftsman." By that definition, masterpieces should be rare, the exceptional example of an individual's (or group's) life work. It seems to me that especially here on ANN, if someone likes something it gets a masterpiece ranking more often than not. Then when something truly exceptional does come along there is no way to differentiate it from the simply good.

Just my two cents.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Uh huh. Sure thing. No one likes it cause it's a genuinely good show, they just like it because it's what was on Cartoon Network at the time. Keep telling yourself that, maybe it'll eventually magically be true.

The comments in this thread have the power to invalidate your entire position regarding the "masterpiece" rating of Death Note.

My favorite posts are those who exclaim "I'm voting for this one because everyone else said it was good."

You're going to need to bring much more to this discussion if you intend on convincing me Death Note earned those votes.

LOL.

Never mind. We'll just agree to disagree, Death Note fanboy.

Yeah, cause the events of a single thread on a single site make you indisputably correct. Sure thing, Mr. Strawman.

jl07045 wrote:
I would guess that playing Rei was actually quite dificult for Hayashibara.

It's that difficult to speak in a monotone?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:
What has surprised me is that not a single person has addressed the second half of the OP - are the rankings fair.

Well I did so on the second page, so you might want to revise that factually incorrect statement.
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's that difficult to speak in a monotone?

I assume it's difficult to act in character if the character is foreign to you. That includes speaking monotone if you tend to be expressive irl.

What concerns the rankings, I regard them as trivia. There's too much subjectivity for me to trust them. Only rottentomatoes score can impact my willingness to watch this or that.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to give a list of anime I think are overrated, but I will comment a bit about ratings.

Firstly, regarding a "masterpiece", I define the word a bit differently than wcsinn. To me, a masterpiece is a master piece: a work completed by a master in his field, or maybe a work that shows he is a master of his field, this is opposed to apprentice pieces or journeyman pieces. So, a masterwork for me is simply a masterful anime, not necessarily a once-in-a-lifetime work.

As for the actual ranking system as a whole: I don't have much of a problem with it. It is a tool and, like any tool, should be used in the right way and with sufficient care. Deciding whether or not to buy an anime series solely based on its ANN rating is, IMO, very foolish.

If I come across an anime that looks like it might be interesting, one of the things I'll do is check its rating. I'll also check to see just how many people have rated it and how the ratings are spread out (if it gets consistantly high or low ratings, that interests me). I'll then scoot further down the page and see if there are any reviews of it, and then I'll read the review and take note of who reviewed it. Then, if I'm still undecided, I might take a gander at Wikipedia and try to get a better idea of the plot (while not spoiling myself, which can be tricky). In short, the ANN rating is one tool out of many that I use, and because I don't put everything on it, it works well for me.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I'm not going to give a list of anime I think are overrated, but I will comment a bit about ratings.

Firstly, regarding a "masterpiece", I define the word a bit differently than wcsinn. To me, a masterpiece is a master piece: a work completed by a master in his field, or maybe a work that shows he is a master of his field, this is opposed to apprentice pieces or journeyman pieces. So, a masterwork for me is simply a masterful anime, not necessarily a once-in-a-lifetime work.

As for the actual ranking system as a whole: I don't have much of a problem with it. It is a tool and, like any tool, should be used in the right way and with sufficient care. Deciding whether or not to buy an anime series solely based on its ANN rating is, IMO, very foolish.

If I come across an anime that looks like it might be interesting, one of the things I'll do is check its rating. I'll also check to see just how many people have rated it and how the ratings are spread out (if it gets consistantly high or low ratings, that interests me). I'll then scoot further down the page and see if there are any reviews of it, and then I'll read the review and take note of who reviewed it. Then, if I'm still undecided, I might take a gander at Wikipedia and try to get a better idea of the plot (while not spoiling myself, which can be tricky). In short, the ANN rating is one tool out of many that I use, and because I don't put everything on it, it works well for me.

I agree with a lot of what is said here.

I also take the word "masterpiece" a bit different. To me, a masterpiece is something like said above, done by a master in his field. But the definition of masterpiece differs from person to person. If you look at my ratings, you would see I have a few "masterpieces". However, some people with lists that are 10x longer than mine, might have even less masterpieces than I do. That is because they take the definition differently than I do. Their version of masterpiece is something truly astronomical, the equivalent of Leonardo da Vinci to the art community.

Also, as stated above, taking only the ratings of ANN into consideration is incredibly foolish. Like any other forums in the world, this place is a bit biased when it comes to certain anime, and that's just the way it is. Therefore, in order to get a good more "realistic" rating on anime, you should check other places as well, and maybe even read some more reviews.
ethanftw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:
if someone likes something it gets a masterpiece ranking more often than not. Then when something truly exceptional does come along there is no way to differentiate it from the simply good.

This right here. This is exactly why taking your information from one source is going to disappoint you. No rating system will ever be fair, ever. That's just the way it is. Some people choose to vote in the rating system just by their personal preference, and others rate it like movie critics. When the two come together, you can only get somewhat of a "ballpark figure" of if the anime is good or not. With the ratings system there is no black and white, only several different shades of gray.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:03 pm Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:

(BTW - are we all so narrow-minded that anything we don't personally like is automatically garbage?)

It's often as you say. Moreover in opposite case it works similar (like it=has no flaws)
I have my private lists of shows told to be popular and praised that didn't appeal to me, but listing them here would be pointless. I'm aware of the fact that my receptions of any show is sum of my taste, mood and circumstances.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:

ShiKi
And I don't think the series tried to make a point that humans were at fault. What it showed was what CAN happen to people who are exhausted and desperate.

I agree. I remember disagreeing with the review which said something like "in the 1st half, vampires were the monsters; in the 2nd half, the humans were the monsters." I never once thought that. The vampires were predators preying on humans, the humans merely acted with their most basic survival instinct. I never thought humans were "at fault", or that we were even supposed to consider that. Maybe I missed something, but I only thought that this is what can and will happen when people are backed into a corner by a dangerous beast. I sympathized with a couple of the characters that were turned into vampires forcefully, the nurse and Natsuno, but that was because I knew them as humans, and they tried hard to retain their humanity after the fact.

Well, I can only think of two specific titles that I feel I can argue being over-rated.

1. Clannad After Story - several others have already named it so far, so I'll try and be kind of brief. I don't get this show's fans. I mean, I can understand liking it, but calling it a masterpiece? That just strikes me as "blind love" or even denial. The 1st half of it suffers from some of the jankiest and downright lazy writing of all the Key shows I've seen (everything from Air to Angel Beats). The cat story and the gang story were especially bad. It was like "okay, these things were in the VN, so let's just toss them in and get them out of the way." "*sigh* Okay, if you insist..." And then it goes into "aww, poor Nagisa" mode for a while. It has one small stretch of episodes that was good, but then it negates that with an ending that knocks it back to wish-fulfillment. And no, that "being planned from the start" is not a valid argument; a bad choice is a bad choice no matter when it came into the production line.

2. Shuffle! - As I'm sure a number of you know, I love dishing on this show! Twisted Evil Again, I don't get the fandom that defends this show. The first half is borderline unwatchable! The romantic lines are gag-inducing, the jokes are not funny at all, the antics of many of the main and background characters are just annoying. I actually dropped it around mid-way through its initial release, but then a description of certain later scenes piqued my curiosity, so I came back to it. Oh man... the 2nd half I enjoyed on a 100% ironic basis. The melodrama in the 2nd half was pure unintentional lol-material. We had poorly handled split-personalities, whiny Nerine who... what exactly happens with her again? And don't forget the laser-guided box-cutter, that one never gets gets old to me! I remember I posted a review for this show somewhere (can't remember) and I got several replies of people just screaming at me. I mean, they were acting like I threw eggs at their grandmother's tombstone or something. It's not that the fans are forgiving the bad writing, it's more like they don't know it is bad writing or they are unwilling to accept that it is bad writing; they keep defending it as great writing.
Oh, and I've been going through the VN lately, and it is, at least, just as weak as the anime. In fact, I dare say that certain things in the VN are actually handled somewhat better in the anime version.

And for the record, I personally don't pay attention to user-rated/voted stuff at all. The bulk of the voters are the "passionate" ones; those who either loved it or hated it. Most people who just kind of went "meh" aren't going to bother voting for it. My own voting on my list here is simply a reflection of how much I personally enjoyed a show rather than a critique. Although I haven't updated it in forever, so I'm sure if I did so now days, many of those ratings would be different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7