• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Philosophical/Psychological recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Nah I don't think I am although there are ways to go about answering the questions I posed. One could go to thought-based models of identity which would than go into modal based identities (thus something to prove that Batman=Bruce Wayne all the time in all possible universes where wither Batman or Bruce Wayne exist in) (and I know that isn't true but we'll move forward assuming it is.) So then in our case with Detective Conan/Case Closed we can see that Jimmy Kudo has an uninterrupted "chain of thought" between Jimmy's childhood, teenage year to where he is now as Conan. Some may take this as Jimmy Kudo = Conan Edogawa, but remember it has to be true in all possible universes and in this case it's not, as we have three universes where Jimmy Kudo as an entity only exists in one although Conan Edogawa exists in all 3. So then we must equate Jimmy Kudo to the other one, Shinichi Kudo, thus Jimmy Kudo = Shinichi Kudo, and because Shinichi Kudo = Conan Edogawa, would then equal Jimmy Kudo = Conan Edogawa. Here we may get some disagreements from fans stating that one or the other Kudos is the "truer" version. Most knocks against Jimmy come from being a little more self-centered and "childish" as compared to Shinichi, so then the question then becomes is this enough to make Jimmy Kudo = Conan Edogawa? And where do these disagreements come from? While the first is a little harder to answer, the second maybe a little easier to tackle.

If we notice the objections that could be raised are focused on the character or virtues and more decidedly differences between the two Kudos characters. This is where virtue ethics comes in to help us out. One thing we can say that both Kudos and for our argument Conan have in common is that they are all trying to exemplar or emulate Sherlock Holmes, one could say that by the start of the series both Kudos are close to replacing the statement as follows" Sherlock Holmes thought or did this!" to "I think or did this!" and as eyesresist points out this is more of a methodological approach to things (Jimmy struggles with relationships, elicting the comment of "How cruel..." from Rachel, Shinichi has the same experience with Ran, this maybe in part a sacrifice that both Kudos are making to follow their mutual exemplar.) And with that said is it right for either Kudo or Conan to follow that exemplar and could they be exemplars for others?The latter part of the question becomes especially important as it could be read "Do we want to imitate Conan?" or in another way " Do we want our children to imitate Conan?" in the moral/ethical sense.

So see secret identities can be fun.....
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
Okay, now that I have my shit together, reposting from the other thread...

Quote:
All right, so it's been said quite a bit around here and elsewhere that recently, anime has been overly saturated with moe and slice-of-life. That "industry is dying" vid said that it occurred on or after 2007 (probably with the release of Lucky Star Razz). And honestly, I can't say that I disagree: apart from Ga-rei: Zero, I haven't noticed much that has been made past that year that is worth the watchin', isn't a film, and isn't a new season or adaptation of an already-established property. That being said, I am all right with Shakugan no Shana III (Final) and rather enjoy Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing, and am still busy catching up with One Piece. However, once I'm done with all of that, I am slightly fearful of the prospect of having nothing completely new to watch.

So, I guess this is a "recommend me something from the past four years" post. I suppose that I should note that I am not a very gung-ho anime fan, and will not watch the vast majority of what comes out. That being said, I prefer rather specific sorts of series.

Generally, I lean toward the psychological, mysterious, philosophical, and outright dark in atmosphere, my favourites being Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell, and the like. With the exception of Sekirei (for some reason), I don't tend to be attracted to stuff that is primarily fanservice, and I really would rather not get into any more shōnen; once again, I have One Piece, Dragonball Z, Claymore, and I'm still following Naruto, albeit manga only at this point because the anime's canon/filler ratio is [expletive] atrocious (with the plot itself really annoying me of late).

Despite all that though, I do like to be surprised.

I will admit that Another looks halfway promising, but I am sceptical of its ability to pull off the horror angle. If anyone has anything to say about that, be my guest. Apart from that...2007 c. Lucky Star and onward, go! :V

...Though honestly, this feels entirely like a gravedig.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So, I guess this is a "recommend me something from the past four years" post....
Generally, I lean toward the psychological, mysterious, philosophical, and outright dark in atmosphere, my favourites being Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell, and the like.
You've probably seen Higurashi right? I recommend Umineko no Naku Koro ni. This is a dark mystery/thriller about brutal murders occurring on a secluded island. Sound cliche? What makes this series unique is the approach it takes to the murders and how they are portrayed. If you've seen Higurashi you know what I'm talking about (if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend that as well, even though it didn't come out in the last 4 years). It's hard to say more without spoiling, but I will just say the turns it takes are quite unexpected and very psychological; if you want a puzzle where you're given the tools but none of the answers, this series is for you. Don't click on this link right away, but this is a 2 hour long video discussing the possible "answers", and if you watch it before you finish the series it will spoil everything. The video is fascinating if you're a fan, so I wanted to put it out there.

It came out in 2002 but I also recommend Twelve Kingdoms. It is both philosophical and psychological. It is about a girl (Yoko) who is unwillingly brought to another world with two of her classmates. They are attacked and separated from the one who brought them and must fend for themselves in an unfamiliar land. It also deals with politics, something not most series delve into.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly enough, I have not seen Higurashi, mostly because it was once described to me as an episodic series in which the main characters are violently killed in one way or another each episode. I am not squeamish, but it sounded like a much less amusing, anime version of Happy Tree Friends or somesuch. Since then, I simply haven't paid it any mind. Perhaps I should research it again.
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Surprisingly enough, I have not seen Higurashi, mostly because it was once described to me as an episodic series in which the main characters are violently killed in one way or another each episode. I am not squeamish, but it sounded like a much less amusing, anime version of Happy Tree Friends or somesuch. Since then, I simply haven't paid it any mind. Perhaps I should research it again.
Higurashi and Umineko are shows that are definitely not for everyone. They are related but neither is a sequel of the other so you don't have to watch one before the other. Umineko IMO is more pyschological and more like a puzzle, but it doesn't really address the right or wrong of the killings.
Jen526

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
The art-style makes it seem sillier at first glace, so the "darkness" might not be immediately obvious, but I'd say Kaiba (2008) definitely fits the rest of your criteria (and once you get past the visuals, it's definitely dark in its own way as well). I usually describe it as a cross between Ghost in the Shell and The Little Prince. It has a lot of similar themes to GITS with regards to defining identity in a world where memories are malleable and changing bodies is as easy as flipping a switch, but with a more surreal, poetic sort of storytelling style that's always reminded me of Saint-Exupery.
Set1229

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I seek a series that focuses on tragic parent figures, split personalities (in the vain of Key The Metal Idol with one good and the other completely blank not even aggression, I wonder if Key the moderator saw this post...), helping characters move past and defeat a trauma, male that feels inferior (so I can relate to them), BUT no "every human being must die at the end" or on-screen abuse of small children or small animals... They INFURIATE me to describable levels.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
To the thread in general, because I'm too lazy to read but the last page:

I second Kaiba.

Kuchu Buranko and The Tatami Galaxy are incredibly deep, but both are presented in a whimsical box perhaps not to your liking (whoever "your" signifies). Still, if you're really looking for something on dasein, you'd do best to cut to the chase and pick up something like Being and Time (Heidegger). The sad truth is that popular audio-visual media's success is inversely proportional to its thought provoking content. Naruto (TV) has 7998 ratings while The Tatami Galaxy has 340 and Kuchu Buranko, a whopping 148. QED. People don't like to think. Shall we instantiate this bold claim? Walk outside right now and ask someone (whoever you happen to run into - depending on your locus, it could be a while) to prove to you:
-that the Holocaust was objectively wrong;
-that they aren't merely a product of your imagination;
-that all language isn't the cartography of Borges' fable;
Chances are, they'll probably start making sputtering sounds like a failing computer to the first, say "you'll feel it if I hit you" ("and therefor I exist apart from your perception" being the implication, though they generally won't vocalize it as such) to the second, and simply gawk at the third. I digress.

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be recommending shit, right?
Genius Party (in general)
Eve no Jikan (Cartesian dualism and ethics of robotics regarding dasein)
Kafka's A Country Doctor (yes, they made an animation)
Mardoch Scramble
Mind Game
The Sky Crawlers (determinism, among other things)
Tekkonkinkreet
5 Centimeters Per Second
Angel's Egg (take your pick)
the two ef series
Noein
Zettai Shonen
Cat Soup/Nekojiro Gekijo
SecretAgent194

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm looking for something with a serious bent, high on political and philosophical drama, preferably military style gunfights and tactics, and an overall storyline that leaves your mind blown after it's over.

Code Geass fits that description almost perfectly.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Kaiba and Time of Eve both look really good. Kaiba has a very original art style.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
I seek a series that focuses on tragic parent figures, split personalities (in the vain of Key The Metal Idol with one good and the other completely blank not even aggression, I wonder if Key the moderator saw this post...), helping characters move past and defeat a trauma, male that feels inferior (so I can relate to them), BUT no "every human being must die at the end" or on-screen abuse of small children or small animals... They INFURIATE me to describable levels.
To my knowledge, no title exists that has all those elements, but here's some shows that have at least one of each element:

Tragic Parent Figures and Moving Past a Trauma
In Nobody's Boy Remi, Remi's father sells him to a street entertainer to pay of large debts. Remi is of course scared and feels betrayed, but the entertainer (Vitalis) becomes like a father to Remi. Also, I recommend you don't read the description on the page I linked because it has many spoilers. The only problem here is that this show falls under your "no abuse of children" category. There is no physical abuse (later in the series there is threats from minor characters of it), but I definitely categorize Remi's father selling him as abuse.

Beast Player Erin's parent figure is the main character Erin's actual mother. In BPE, Erin lives with her mother in a village that specializes in raising creatures called Touda which are essential for war and protection of their country. Erin's mother is a very talented caretaker of these Touda, but almost no one in the village trusts her because she is from the People of the Mist, nomads with green hair and eyes.

Split Personality
I don't know of any shows that feature someone with a split personality with one personality being completely blank, but I have two close candidates.
We Without Wings focuses on a character with multiple personalities. One of these personalities is a doormat; he never gets angry, in fact he hardly shows any emotion besides a mask of generic good-naturedness. It also has the element of overcoming a trauma, and BIG SPOILER spoiler[that trauma is what caused his multiple personality disorder]. Overall this show is so-so and is slow to start; I'm only recommending it because it is the closest I can think of to what you request.

The other close candidate is Princess Tutu. I highly recommend this show. This show has a fairy-tale setting where animals talk and go to school with humans. Mytho is a storybook prince who was battling a monster raven, and during the fight his heart was shattered, trapping the raven and leaving him without any emotions or will of his own. A duck (yes, the bird), is granted a magic necklace that lets her become human so she can gather the pieces of his heart.
There isn't any split personality in this show, but it does have a blank personality character (Mytho).

As for a show with a Male that feels Inferior, there is always Sasuke from Naruto and Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
BesuDesu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
Hmm... If you're looking for something on the more... shall we say, complicated side of things, I would recommend Paranoia Agent and Wolf's Rain. (sorry if PA was already mentioned a gazillion times already Anime hyper)

Paranoia Agent is a social satire based around the events happening after a young, phantomexque assailant "Little Slugger" attacks an up-and-coming artist (soon you are to find out that spoiler[its anyone at the brink of sanity]) and things take a turn for the psychology class as we delve into the (excellently portrayed) psyches of those who are victimized by this assailant and their connections with each other. We take a break around episode 7 from the main characters to look a bit more in depth at Little slugger and make room for some biting satire (but you'll get to that latter). Thematically, this show deals with such gems like the effects of psychological disease on the psyche, the relationships between kids and adults and how their formed, and just how this kind of social phenomenon would affect society (their are more themes to it, just listing a few).

Wolf's Rain: Ok, I REALLY shouldn't delve to much into this show without spoiling how great it is or some of the complexities behind it. Just know that its set in a post-apocalypse future in a world in which the beast of man is descended from wolves, which have supposedly been extinct for 200 years. At least, that's what everyone's made to believe. We are soon thrust into a beast of a story about human turbulence and triumph as we follow the story of four wolves searching for "Paradise". ANNND as crappy of a summery as that is, imma stop myself before giving away any key plot points. Anyway, I put this here because it IS a human story, and we examine all four of these characters as well as a few humans (who may be cliche archetypes, but they're good ones) and their complexes and intricacies as people. Thematically, this puppy gives us things like the effects of inadequacy and repressed guilt on the psyche, how the end of the world would affect society, and so much more man. Just watch both of these shows.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
PSYCHO-PASS is a title that deserves to be listed here. It loves quoting various thinkers, authors and philosophers, and its central themes include free will, criminals' motivations and how a state can be corrupted by the very people that are supposed to be its guardians. Characters will often just sit or stand around discussing and debating ideas and philosophies, something which we have come to expect from Gen Urobuchi. It makes for a very cerebral series.
shukujo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I must give strong seconds to Kaiba & Mind Game here - Kaiba was the first anime in a very long time to have my mouth hanging open while I was watching it, and Mind Game, ahhh Mind Game. Let's put it this way: Mind Game won that year's Noburo Ofuji Animation Award, one of Japan's highest honors for an animated work, and it beat out Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle to do so.

From the same studio that made Mind Game, I'd like to add Kemonozume to this list. It's not for the faint of heart, it's violent and gory, and sometimes even shocking, but just keep telling yourself its just another tragic love story and you should be fine.

I don't know if these have been mentioned:
Shinsekai Yori - what will humans be like once we can use telekenesis? (also worth mentioning: this anime has one of the most satisfying endings I've seen yet in anime)

Bokurano - Could you sacrifice yourself to save the world? Would you?

Rainbow - Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin - this anime is a depiction of a very specific period in Japanese history; it takes place about 10-15 years after the end of World War II.

Gilgamesh - great anime for making it hard to decide who the good guys are.

Gankutsuou, The Count of Monte Cristo - dazzling visual imagery combined with the classic tale of revenge as a dish best served frozen.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Second Kaiba.

I don't know if anybody recommended Ping Pong (same director as The Tatami Galaxy and Kaiba), Lain (really surprised nobody mentioned that one yet) as well as Madoka (more of a genre deconstruction but has a some philosophical content). I also recommend Penguindrum and Utena for something weirder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5