• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is OEL Manga Really Manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
All this debate could be solved if we just called it all comics as manga is just the Japanese word for comic books and sometimes they just straight up use the English word comic to describe it.

TarsTarkas wrote:

You are always going to have purists, gatekeepers, and labelers, but that doesn't mean everything has to be vanilla either.

Cardcaptor Takato, I guess you weren't around in mid-late 2000's/early 2010's (this was before you joined ANN, I don't know when you became part of the anime/manga fandom prior to joining ANN). When the debate about OEL manga got really heated, it was super serious back then, there were flame wars, and endless arguments (including insults and American/western bashing). You have no idea how hostile some fans were when it comes to calling manga or equating manga to comic/graphic novel, and I know this because I was knee deep into that debate back then. You couldn't openly called manga a comic because to some fans, the hatred and self-hatred of being a white (or anyone regardless of their race) western fan of anime and manga don't want to equate manga to American comic book/graphic novel because in their logic and mind, manga represent something different from American/western comic, I guess their in their view they don't want people calling manga "comic" or "graphic novel" because that's associating those 2 words to American comic book. They treated American comic/graphic novel as inferior to manga, and that sometime leads to self-loathing their American heritage. Don't explain how some fans got this logic or this thought process of calling manga a comic/graphic novel is considered an insult to them and viewing American comic/graphic novel as inferior.

That's why OEL manga has faced hostilities from purist, and gatekeepers (can I use weeaboo for this one?) like TarsTarkas described. That's why the OEL manga flame war debate has blown up like that in late 2000's/early 2010's.

I don't know what caused the end or how the debate died down over time, but today OEL manga don't seem to face anymore backlash from those demographic of manga fan like they face back 20-25 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:12 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I grew up on comic books (Marvel, DC, and many of the independents). But manga is significantly different in style than American comics. I remember being excited for the next issue of Outlanders, Caravan Kidd, Drakkun, Grey Digital Target, and a few others.

Just like we don't want every restaurant to be Taco Bell (like that one movie). Manga is just a different flavor of comic. And that makes Manga a good descriptor of what you are going to get and receive. And of course Manhwa is also a good descriptor.

You are always going to have purists, gatekeepers, and labelers, but that doesn't mean everything has to be vanilla either.
So where are we putting the works of Stan Sakai at who is a Japanese author that lives in America and he makes comics for an American audience? And I doubt your average manga fan would recognize Usagi Yojimbo as a manga. But if we go by the American definition of manga he should also be considered alongside mangaka that create comics in Japan.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 4:17 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So where are we putting the works of Stan Sakai at who is a Japanese author that lives in America and he makes comics for an American audience? And I doubt your average manga fan would recognize Usagi Yojimbo as a manga. But if we go by the American definition of manga he should also be considered alongside mangaka that create comics in Japan.

He's an American publishing work for Americans, therefore a GN. Manga is made in Japan. That is my definition, point blank.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:34 am Reply with quote
I always found this argument the same as the one about what constitutes "anime", and the issue is less about whether or not these items are manga, so much as "when did the term 'comic book' become a dirty word?" Is it the final concession of defeat from all those British writers that hate superheroes admitting that "comic book" and "superhero" are synonyms in the English-speaking market? Is it a mere attempt to mooch off something popular rather than build up a local industry?

The issue isn't if they should be called manga, it's the rather negative stigma around the term "comic books".
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:57 am Reply with quote
TheSeventhSense wrote:

He's an American publishing work for Americans, therefore a GN. Manga is made in Japan. That is my definition, point blank.
So if you’re white and live in Japan you can be a mangaka then?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

If you're talking about Heroman, created by the late great Stan "The man" Lee. Then yes, it's a manga. Are you saying Stan Lee is not a mangaka because he's not a Japanese person. Are you saying in your logic that Tekkonkinkreet directed by Michael Arias is not an anime because it was directed by a non-Japanese person? Is this what you're saying?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:55 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Ang Lee has directed mostly American movies and last year Japan's candidate for the best foreign language film for the oscars sas directed by an established german director. As I've said, it's less about the individual and more about the industry.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say I did some digging on the website from many years ago, there are still relics from 2009/2010 webpages (thank goodness those still survived after many years) that showed how fiercely and heated OEL manga faced amongst anime/manga fandom back then.

2010 Wordpress discussion entry: Why aren’t manga fans more open to OEL manga?

And I'll quote these people on their thought:

Kris on WordPress wrote:
There’s definitely some elitism involved. If you haunt fan boards, you’ll see these people come out, crying that OEL manga isn’t really manga. That by definition, manga is Japanese comics, period. Which…isn’t false. Some manga fans resent that OEL is given the label “manga.” And many tack on an instant stigma because of this.

Apple on WordPress wrote:
What’s really disturbing, to me, is that sometimes this bias extends itself to Japanese series that appear to be OEL (I have heard several times that Est Em was an “OEL artist,” said in a negative way–like, “I would like that manga but she’s an OEL artist”). A lot of fans refuse to touch anything OEL, or anything that appears to be OEL.

I think that several series were greenlit and published that really shouldn’t have been. I don’t want to name any names, because that wouldn’t be nice >__> but when you have so many bad series touting the OEL flag, it leaves a bad impression of what OEL is and what OEL has the potential to be. Essentially, the ratio of crap series to non-crap series is too high to leave a good impression, in a market (“manga”) that is already distilled into series that have proven that they can hold their own.

James Leung on WordPress wrote:
This argument has been around the anime/manga community for years. So if you’ve read one of my rants on other message boards or blogs, you know what I’m about to write.

For better or worse, the US manga market was built around the fetishization of Japanese culture. It wasn’t marketed as high end graphic novels or bizarre adult seinen/gekiga. It was the Japanese or foreigness of the product that sold books. Jason Thompson calls it, “the thrill of Japaneseness”. Moreover, the market has been so carefully crafted and molded to sell Japan that any clever dissemblance of OEL as manga will be vehemently attacked as disingenuous. The ones who shout the loudest about OEL are strongly tied to this characterization of manga.

In Japan, all comics are called manga. This includes everything from one-page four panel manga to full 1000-page omnibus tankoubon covering a broad range of genres. In reality, only a fraction of Japanese manga and dojinshi are ever printed in English. If you only read manga in English, for all intensive purposes, you are probably reading only the best of the best (marketing wise). The US market has been handpicked by manga companies and editors. In a very subtle way, your entire manga diet has been already carefully curated and chosen for you. So, it’s unfair to compare the infant OEL industry to the best of the Japanese manga industry.

I also stumble upon Tim Beedle, a former manga editor who had a 2010 blog entry titled "manga is not a dirty word" about why OEL manga face backlash from western manga fandom. I'll quote the blog:

Tim Beedle on his blog wrote:
Before I go any further, I should probably make it clear that I’m writing this as someone who was once ridiculously biased against manga. I started at Tokyopop with an inherent love for superheroes and a complete lack of interest in Japanese graphic novels. Had I not landed my job there, it’s unlikely I’d even know what a tankoubon was, let alone actually sat down and read them.

But I still read Bizenghast. I still read Nightschool. I read Re:Play through to its conclusion (and not just because I was the editor of that series for a while). If I have any interest in the subject matter of a comic, I’ll read it, regardless of the style. So why is it that comics drawn by manga-influenced artists (other than Adam Warren) seem to always struggle to find an audience in the United States?

Unfortunately, I still think there’s a lot of misunderstanding among both readers and publishers. They hear manga and they instantly think of big eyes and flowery backgrounds. The problem is that far too many people still cling to the idea that manga is a style. Manga is not a style. It’s a format, and even within that format there’s a lot of diversity. To say someone is a manga artist is no different than to say they’re a comic book artist. And just like with comic book artists, manga artists can draw in vastly different styles.

I mean, there are several other webpages from 20+ something years ago that are still preserved to this days that show how much OEL manga face a lot of backlash from manga fans (or should I say ignorant manga fans that probably have not read American comic books or self-loath their American/US identities):

2013 blog entry: The Problem of OEL Mangaska
2014 follow up blog entry: Revisiting the notion of the OEL mangaka
2009 Toonzone/Anime Superhero forum: OEL Manga: Good or bad idea?

So if you want to know how bad the backlash toward OEL manga is, then there you go. At the time of the OEL manga debate, I'm not sure how much backlash manhwa or anything non-Japanese Asian medium of similar format face backlash from manga fan and attacking them because they're not Japanese, but it does seem to show there are manga fan that take their Japanese fetish/Japanese yellow fever too far.

My question is: What happened to those anti-OEL manga folks? Did they moved on? Did they no longer read Japanese manga due to whatever made them stop reading manga? Is this why OEL manga today don't face backlash today like they used to 20+ years ago? That's what I like to know, what caused the anti-OEL backlash to die.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

I grew up on comic books (Marvel, DC, and many of the independents). But manga is significantly different in style than American comics. I remember being excited for the next issue of Outlanders, Caravan Kidd, Drakkun, Grey Digital Target, and a few others.

Just like we don't want every restaurant to be Taco Bell (like that one movie). Manga is just a different flavor of comic. And that makes Manga a good descriptor of what you are going to get and receive. And of course Manhwa is also a good descriptor.

As I have said, I am not going to get into that argument, because it is not important. You are always going to have outliers and grey areas. When you say manga or manhwa you are describing something, and it is a lot nicer and more succinct than saying 'comics from Japan' or 'comics from Korea'.

The problem with comic books from America is many in the mainstream, think they are for kids, and thus the children have to be protected. Thus Marvel, DC, and a couple of others are sanitized to a degree for mass market appeal. But anyone who goes to larger and more diverse comic book stores or reads the Diamond Comic Distributors monthly catalog knows the truth, that there is a large presence of small comic publishers and independent comic publishers that aren't so kid friendly. When I was a teenager and a young adult in the Eighties, I had access to some European comic titles that were translated into english, that definitively were not 'all ages'.

Comic book readers know better, but the main stream still think comic books are about superheroes and supervillains.

In the Eighties and Nineties, manga was completely different than anything available in the United States. Studio Proteus and Dark Horse were godsends for english translated manga and I spent a fortune on Japanese anime laserdiscs at Jelly's in Honolulu.

Things are a lot more fuzzier now, but the terms; manga and manhwa still describe quite good what you are getting. Saying everything is a comic book, tells you nothing about what you are getting. It's like saying I want an apple, well, there are so many apples and many have distinct taste and uses. Golden and Red Delicious apples = cheap mass market apples, Granny Smith = tart apple used mainly for baking, Fuji and Gala = sweet apples. And there are so many more.

When you say Manga or Manhwa, you know what you are getting for the most part. And thats why I use those terms and why they are marketed the way they are.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:33 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

If you're talking about Heroman, created by the late great Stan "The man" Lee. Then yes, it's a manga. Are you saying Stan Lee is not a mangaka because he's not a Japanese person. Are you saying in your logic that Tekkonkinkreet directed by Michael Arias is not an anime because it was directed by a non-Japanese person? Is this what you're saying?
No I'm saying these are all cartoons. Anime is a cartoon and manga are comics.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:56 pm Reply with quote
In Japan, they use the word "komiku" (i.e. comic) as synonymous with manga.

Its a habit of westerners to label Japanese comics as "manga" and Japanese cartoons as "anime." I think this started with Frederick L. Schodt who in 1983 published an academic book about Japanese comics called it "Manga! Manga! The world of Japanese comics."

Then westerners started to make comics and cartoons inspired by the Japanese ones and people from English-speaking countries start calling them "Original English Language manga."

I think that we should just do like the Japanese and call things by their names: comics, cartoons, movies, and TV shows. If I watched Frieren the other day, I just said that I watched a japanese TV show.

mdo7 wrote:
Don't explain how some fans got this logic or this thought process of calling manga a comic/graphic novel is considered an insult to them and viewing American comic/graphic novel as inferior.

Japanese culture is very different from western culture. These differences express themselves in the different forms of artistic expression and that means that Japanese comics and animation tend to be radically different from the western stuff (an anime show like Frieren appeals to very different tastes than a western cartoon show like The Simpsons). This means that some western people might develop a very strong preference for these Japanese cultural products over the Western product of the same category. Then an insecure person with a strong preference for the Japanese stuff might think its insulting to call Japanese comics, comics, as this word typically refer to the local western stuff.

I think that now that anime and comics are becoming more mainstream among adults in the west, westerners are becoming less insecure about using the same words for the Japanese and Western stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
Don't explain how some fans got this logic or this thought process of calling manga a comic/graphic novel is considered an insult to them and viewing American comic/graphic novel as inferior.

I think that now that anime and comics are becoming more mainstream among adults in the west, westerners are becoming less insecure about using the same words for the Japanese and Western stuff.

Jose, I would like to agree with you. You're not wrong, and you're correct on your assessment. I hate to say this, but: the death of the OEL manga backlash happened a few years before anime/manga started to gain mainstream appeal in the west, and I know this because I think around after 2014, the backlash against OEL manga just either quiet down or come to a complete halt. Anime/manga didn't gained mainstream appeal in the west until I think after 2016 (let say 2018 is the date when anime/manga started to made it's headway into the mainstream in the US/west). I think I have couple of theories why the backlash against OEL manga just stopped:

-Maybe the people that found out about Shotaro Ishinomori's Legend of Zelda: A link to the past comic that was published in Nintendo Power in the early 90's (the one that Viz Media would re-published in 2015) was not a manga when they found out many years later, I think it's possible that maybe there were anti-OEL purists and elitists that are fans of the Zelda franchise that may have first read the comic/OEL manga when it was first published in Nintendo Power back in the 90's and at that time, some of the anti-OEL folks that read them at that time were probably not anime/manga fan and probably didn't know what manga is or know who Shotaro Ishinomori until many years later. Now let assume that some of the anti-OEL haters/elitists that have first read the Zelda OEL manga/comic in the Nintendo Power magazine may have found out about the comic's non-Japanese origin and the author being Shotaro Ishinomori (I assume that most of the anti-OEL elitists/haters would've gained a lot of knowledge about important mangaka and would've been familiar with Shotaro Ishinomori) must've shocked many anti-OEL haters/elitists that they read an OEL manga before they became fan and also the revelation that the legendary Shotaro Ishinomori worked on a OEL manga probably thanks to both Viz Media republishing it in 2015 and Wikia/Fandom entry information on Ishinomori's A Link to the Past comic wasn't a manga given that it was first published in USA before it got published in Japanese a year later. So theory #1: The anti-OEL elitists/haters that may have been exposed to Ishinomori's Zelda: A Link to the Past comic/OEL manga in Nintendo Power may have found out many years later that what they read was a OEL manga. After that revelation, it made them question and challenge their views on OEL manga.

Another theory and this is my theory #2: Eldo Yoshimizu's works like Gamma Draconis and Ryuko not appearing on Anilist and MAL might have shocked anti-OEL haters and made them challenge their views on the definition of manga. As I previously stated on my 1st post of the thread, I have to assume before Ryuko and Gamma Draconis got official English translation, they must've found it's way into scanlation, and I don't know how many anti-OEL haters that may read one or both of his works must've been surprised when they find out that MAL and Anilist didn't count both of them as manga. For Ryuko, it was self-published in 2010, but didn't get an official publication until 2016-2018 in France, it didn't get an official Japanese publication until last year. This is my speculation but it's possible that anti-OEL haters that may have read one or two of Eldo Yoshimizu's works and were baffled by why Anilist and MAL didn't classify them as manga despite Yoshimizu's work resemble a manga (right to left orientation, black & white illustration), so it's possible those anti-OEL haters/elitists that read his work may have changed their own views on OEL and manga-like comic.

Theory #3: The acceptance of Korean pop culture/Hallyu contents including the rise of manhwa/webtoons mainstream popularity may have helped nearly eliminated anti-OEL backlash. Anime adaptation of manhwa/webtoons could've also contributed too. We know that the backlash and hatred toward OEL manga also led to these same haters hating on manhwa or any non-Japanese Asian comic/graphic novels. Given that many anime and manga fans have crossed over to K-pop and K-dramas thanks to K-drama adaptation of manga (ie: Boys over Flowers, Playful Kiss, To the Beautiful You, etc...). I have to assume that there may have been anti-OEL haters that could've been caught up on the K-drama/Hallyu craze. I guess crossing over to K-drama then to K-pop must have opened up their mind to checking out & reading manhwa/webtoon and voila, the hatred toward non-Japanese manga-like comic (including OEL manga) goes away once you been exposed to Korean pop culture. Also you factor in K-drama and anime adaptation of webtoons/manhwa, that probably break down the anti-OEL/anti-manhwa vitriol coming out of those haters.

So yeah, those probably are the 3 reasons why I think the hatred and backlash toward OEL manga (including manhwa/webtoons) died even before anime/manga became mainstream. In the last few years, we witnessed Scott Pilgrims getting a anime adaptation, and last year it was announced that an American webcomic will get an anime adaptation. So this makes me wonder will OEL manga get their chance to get anime adaptation so that it can end the hotly debates about OEL manga once and for all. Only time will tell. I can see a positive future for OEL manga and other non-Japanese/non-Korean Asian comic/graphic novel.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 9:57 pm Reply with quote
That Little Rapscallion wrote:

This image probably perfectly illustrates why I never cared for OEL/American Anime or whatever people call this stuff. Am I supposed to be impressed the writers of this show know what Dragonball (one of the most popular series of all time) is? What importance does making a character dress like Android 18 have other than I clapped because I know Dragonball.

My Adventures With Superman has nothing to do with Superman other than character names and some imagery like the Superman costume because every character is completely unrecognizable. It's a show written by and for millennials who grew up watching anime. And the ironic thing is an actual anime adaption would probably try to stick closer to the source material like the Superman vs. Meshi manga which was originally just supposed to be about Superman eating various Japanese foods but has since done far more. Personally I feel a true anime-inspired Superman show would try stick as close to the comics it's based on like how most anime adaptions respect and try to adapt their own source manga. But that would be more about anime-inspired in terms of how the industry works rather than superficial traits like art style or references. So I'm not sure what it ultimately says when Japan's take on Superman is more faithful and accurate than an American's perspective on what they thought an Anime Superman series would be like.

Funny you should bring this up, because I'm an anime fan with a decent general knowledge of Superman, and I'm loving the hell out of this show. Last night's episode with Kara and Brainiac was fantastic. And I don't think so just because she dressed like Android 18, or because Superman had a straight-up magical girl transformation sequence, or because of all of the fun Easter eggs crammed into the Mr. Mxyzptlk episode. Those are all well and good, but what really sells the show for me is the great writing and characterization, as well as the solid action sequences. It's refreshing getting a take on Clark when he's still trying to find his way in the world, and this is probably my favorite version of Lois that I've seen. (Certain...parts of the Internet seem to strongly agree. Shocked ) I like how you're presupposing that there's any one "true source" for Superman when the character's had literally dozens of mutually-exclusive origins and characterizations created for him over the decades. It's the bread-and-butter of superhero comics to try different takes on their tentpole characters, and this is just the latest in a long line of examples. The show just got renewed for a third season, so apparently there enough people like me out there watching it to make it worthwhile.

(Sidenote, I know everyone jokes about Goku being Superman, but the more you think about it the more you realize how much the comparison holds up, right down to the all-powerful being pretending to be on the side of the protagonist's race while secretly being responsible for their planet's destruction. Of course turnabout is fair play, because Kara was acting more than a little like Vegeta in last night's episode.)

Really, my thoughts on MAWS are representative of what I think of this 20-year-old debate: I don't care what labels are applied to something, so long as it's good. I understand that there are some basic common structural/stylistic elements to manga (though at the same time it's an incredibly diverse medium and there are plenty of series that shuck those trends), so if someone who isn't from Japan consciously chooses to create something using those elements, I don't see how that's a problem. (Now speaking personally I don't think I'd apply the label "manga" to something like that I created, but if someone else wants to do so, then I won't lose sleep over it.) In my mind that cross-pollination of styles and themes can only be a good thing, provided there are talented people at the wheel. Case in point: Avatar was an American-made animated series that proudly wore its anime influences on its sleeve, but at the same time I hold it in higher esteem than many "legitimate" shounen-targeted anime series I've seen. And let's not pretend that this influence is a one-way street: just how many deliberate references to Western pop culture have we all seen snuck into our favorite anime and manga series? And is anyone going to claim with a straight face that Horikoshi wasn't deliberately using stylistic elements from traditional American cape-and-cowl comics?

Hell, it's hard enough getting people to agree on what exactly counts as "anime" even when we're limiting the scope to shows that were made in Japan. There was a big stink on MyAnimeList a few months ago when an "enlightened" moderator rejected Scott Pilgrim Takes Off from being added to the database. Y'know, because apparently the entire production staff being Japanese, and the show being explicitly marketed to domestic Japanese audiences, including being dubbed in Japanese, didn't count as being "anime enough."
pushknife

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:53 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Hell, it's hard enough getting people to agree on what exactly counts as "anime" even when we're limiting the scope to shows that were made in Japan. There was a big stink on MyAnimeList a few months ago when an "enlightened" moderator rejected Scott Pilgrim Takes Off from being added to the database. Y'know, because apparently the entire production staff being Japanese, and the show being explicitly marketed to domestic Japanese audiences, including being dubbed in Japanese, didn't count as being "anime enough."

I think that's different. American creators and companies hiring Japanese studios to animate and produce stuff for them quite often. Just looking at the production credits for Scott Pilgrim shows that's it's essentially an American production being animated by Japanese people

Developed by: Bryan Lee O'Malley, BenDavid Grabinski
Showrunners: Bryan Lee O'Malley, BenDavid Grabinski
Written by: Bryan Lee O'Malley, BenDavid Grabinsk
Executive producers: Marc Platt, Edgar Wright, Michael Bacall, Adam Siegel, Jared LeBoff, Nira Park, Kouhei Obara, Dylan Thomas, Eunyoung Choi, BenDavid Grabinski, Bryan Lee O'Malley
Cinematography: Hikari Itou, Yoshihiro Sekiya

You might as well say Batman the Animated Series is anime since TMS animated it back in the day.

Compared to the upcoming Suicide Squad Isekai thing

Written by: Tappei Nagatsuki, Eiji Umehara
Directed by: Eri Osada
Executive producers: Hiroyuki Omori, Tetsuya Nakatake
Producer: Shinya Tsuruoka
Cinematography: Xiaomu Yang
Editor: Akari Saitō

That one is obviously a Japanese production.

I can see why a website or people would not call Scott Pilgrim Takes Off an anime anymore than Thundercats, Batman, or Tiny Toons. But I also see why fans of it would want to call it an anime because they like it and they think the anime label is a badge of honor and maybe the animation adds some kind of charm to it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:36 am Reply with quote
pushknife wrote:

I can see why a website or people would not call Scott Pilgrim Takes Off an anime anymore than Thundercats, Batman, or Tiny Toons. But I also see why fans of it would want to call it an anime because they like it and they think the anime label is a badge of honor and maybe the animation adds some kind of charm to it.

That's all well and good...except everyone on the actual animation production side was based out of Japan, including the director, storyboard artists, character designers, art directors, and pretty much anyone else you can think of. Eunyoung Choi, the head of Science SARU, was one of the executive producers. It was certainly an international co-production, but no more or less than many other series universally regarded as "anime," including Cyberpunk: Edgerunners (which, hypocritically, lives happily in MAL's database). This wasn't some work-for-hire job like Batman: TAS or Tiny Toons back in the day. Science SARU was explicitly part of the creative process, and it was marketed as an anime series from day one, and treated and reviewed as such right here on ANN.

I don't bring all of this up to soapbox or anything--I have no dog in the fight either way--but because I think it's funny that even when the Japanese animation studio producing a project says "Yes, this is anime," there are still people out there who will "Well actually..." it. At that point we've fallen so deep down a no-true-Scotsman hole that the term "anime" loses any and all practical use. To swing things back to the original question, that applies just as much to "manga" too. For instance, if a Japanese artist works with an American writer to create a series about superheroes, then are we not allowed to call that "manga" either?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5