• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2022

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beansy99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Chainsaw Man being in the top 10 for best anime and worst anime is just *chef's kiss*.

EDIT: actually fell outside of the top 10 since I last looked at it, but still funny all the same.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Really glad seeing the Ya Boy Kongming mentions. Just a surprisingly great show.

I also have to mention Rillakuma's Theme Park Adventure. I think I'm the only one who watched it lol but it's even better than the 1st series imo
db999

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:29 am Reply with quote
Still making my list, still have 2 shows to finish, but I do want to share best character and best moments. For me best character would either be Eve from Birdie Wing, or Anzu from Romantic Killer, for best moment it's a lot harder for me.

There are many moments I could choose from, MHA’s Dabi’s reveal, Both Gundam Happy Birthdays, The Mafia Boss cybernetic arm in Birdie Wing, to Anzu realizing that Junta really was her childhood friend and not some rando that Riri brainwashed into thinking he was, but 3 specific moments stand out to me. 2 of which I’d been waiting years to see animated. Attack on Titan with Eren spoiler[revealing that he was the one who controlled his dad to eat the Reiss family and him tearing the flesh of his arm in the paths to convince Ymir to start The Rumbling], and confession scene from Kaguya-Sama, but my heart belongs to Bleach. I’d been hoping to see this animated for years, not knowing if it ever would, but I’ve been eagerly anticipating it since Bleach was announced to be coming back, but the moment works because it’s a twist that makes sense and feels like it’s been built up to for a long time. spoiler[Unohana being the first Kenpachi, and thus the namesake for Yachiru and the person that Kenpachi respects most, explains so much about Unohana being feared by everyone.]

Or it would be if I didn’t just remember the Rap scene from Kaguya-Sama which is the real best moment of 2022. Especially Kaguya picking up how to rap so easily and Hayasaka finally being able to express here feelings to Kaguya was fantastic and hilarious at the same time.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:42 am Reply with quote
Not related to the topic, but I have to say. ANN your End of Fall 2022 poll has anime from Summer 2022 in it. Could you correct it please?
borderparasol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:54 am Reply with quote
Now that we're on best songs, time to happily plug "Eutopia" from Love Live Nijigasaki. Yes the rest of the season whiffed HARD with the introduction/incorporation of Lanzhu, Shioriko, and Mia. But "Eutopia" was a perfect "I'm the new hot shit rival character and you're going to worship me" song and cashed a check the rest of the show had a hard time following.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:04 am Reply with quote
Ranking of King's second opening was my favorite of the year, but I don't exactly remember if it debuted in 2022 or at the tail end of 2021. Otherwise, Call of the Night's best aspect were its songs so I'll give them a shoutout, and there's also the amazing Pop Team Epic S2 ED, specifically the amazing recorder version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bCaiIIIkoc
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:31 am Reply with quote
My best OP is "Feel You, Heal You" from Healer Girl, with "Prologue" from Bibliophile Princess as a close second.

Best ED is definitely "Kokoro Delicious" from Delicious Party Pretty Cure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
latetoedo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
Ranking of Kings Ep 2 when beaten-to-a-pulp Prince Bojji falls out of bed, reaching for a sword to continue trying to improve, and Kage commits his friendship to the kid. Also Ep 5 when the two are spoiler[re-united after Domas has thrown Bojji into the chasm.] Those little guys broke my heart.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Yoasobi's song for Gundam Witch From Mercury is my favorite. Just like these from Beastars season 2, the Music is amazing. If I were to pick a song from Chainsaw it would be ''Violence'' by Queen Bee. An older song would be the ending of Sabikui Bisco fue to how hothheadded it was. The first opening of Summertime was fun too
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Lots of good song picks from the ANN team! I don't even know how I'd be able to narrow it down to just one, especially for OP/ED since I tend to base those more on visuals + the whole package vs just the song.

Best OP - Ranking of Kings OP2 “Naked Hero.” Actually a really great year for openings (as you’ll see in the ones listed as honorable mentions), but ultimately went with this one because it felt like the whole package: a great song, beautiful visuals, purposeful direction, and added emotional impact within the context of the series.
(HMs: Dance Dance Danseur, Urusei Yatsura 2022, Ya Boy Kongming, Call of the Night, One Piece OP24, Shikimori-san, Ao Ashi OP2, Spy x Family OP2)

Best ED - Chainsaw Man ED10 “DOGLAND.” Endings were a bit harder because it really came down a tiny handful of sequences and then like… every single Chainsaw Man ED haha. If I could also throw in ED3, 5, & 9 I would. Went with this one because it captures that growing uneasiness and eventual explosion of energy that I love in the best CSM endings (the 3rd one especially), and it feels like it has more of a mini self-contained “story” within it than some of the others (much like the Kaguya or Spy x Family EDs).

Best Insert Song - Fleeting Lullaby (One Piece Film RED). Okay, last year’s best insert song was so much easier than this time around with SSSS.Dynazenon’s All This Time being a lock from pretty much day one. On the diegetic side, we have multiple songs from Inu-oh, Bocchi the Rock, Ya Boy Kongming, Healer Girl, the Revue Starlight film, etc… Plus like three different rap battles from three different shows. And there were even more when just considering background songs no matter the context. I just decided to make it easy on myself and choose my most-played song from the artist that pretty much dominated my own AniSong playlist in 2022.
(HM: Backlight; New Genesis; Guitar, Loneliness, & Blue Planet, TBD, Be Crazy for Me)

Best Overall Music/Score - Inu-oh. I could put Made in Abyss S2 here as well, but that series has gotten more than enough kudos in the music department and with Inu-oh being a rock opera, the whole film basically lives or dies by its music. And whether it’s in the background or a grand 7+ minute performance sequence, said music absolutely soars.
(HMs: Made in Abyss S3, The Case Study of Vanitas - a more restrained Yuki Kajiura than we usually get)
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Insert songs don't stick in my head too long, so I'm not gonna do any of that or the OSTs. I'm just going to focus on OPs and EDs

Top 10 OPs
10. Case Study of Vanitas OP2
9. Shadows House OP2
8. Golden Kamuy S4 OP
7. Engage Kiss OP
6. Lycoris Recoil OP
5. My Hero Academia S6 OP1
4. Spy X Family OP1
3. The Demon Girl Next Door S2 OP
2. My Dress-Up Darling OP
1. Call of the Night OP

Top 10 EDs
10. My Dress-Up Darling ED
9. Golden Kamuy S4 ED
8. Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie ED
7. Chainsaw Man ED5 (Honourable mentions go to EDs 2, 3, and 4)
6. Call of the Night ED
5. Lycoris Recoil ED
4. Engage Kiss ED
3. Ranking of Kings ED2
2. My Hero Academia S6 ED1
1. Spy X Family ED1/2
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I also liked “Paper Bouquet” (The Executioner and Her Way of Life) but I think the main reason was because it reminded me so strongly of the Angels of Death ED: "Pray" by Haruka Chisuga. Have a listen:

"Paper Bouquet"
"Pray"

Bleach's ED has been earworming me to death for the past two weeks, so I guess I have to pick that as my favorite song.
q_3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:52 pm Reply with quote
"Venus Line" from Birdie Wing is the OP/ED song that stuck in my head the most, in all the best ways. It's a ton of fun, like dangerously high levels of fun. Kohmi Hirose has very few anime credits in her long career and I'm pretty sure it's because she's just too powerful for most anime to handle.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Venus Line is a brilliant song, yeah. Occasionally I'll pass a nearby golf club and really I cannot go that way without Venus Line popping up in my head.
kwchou1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain the worst series mega poll results?

There have been years (most prob) where I'm think several of the bigger/higher rated/top shows were just OK, maybe even a few I might vote for worst rated, but 10 seems like a lot. Is it legitimate or just backlash for shows getting pub that people felt was undeserved?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12