• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One-Punch Man Anime Gets 3rd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I'm just surprised that One Punch Man is still around. What on earth could it be about at this point? I enjoyed the first season, but the joke was already tired by the end of it, and it started showing signs of taking itself too seriously...

IMO, I think we have some very cool stuff coming up....but some fans did complain that it gets too serious later on, so if that's a concern, I'm not sure if you should bother with season 3.

Anyway, OPM will be around for a while yet. The webcomic is still ongoing, and the manga is a couple of arcs behind the webcomic.
Vizo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Glad it's finally announced, but I'll be happier when it gets a release window. If conditions are ideal, I'm guessing it'll release in Spring 2023 at the earliest.

Outside of how it ended, I didn't really have a problem with season two. Tell me your problems with it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
Despite the general disappointment with season 2, I figured the production committee was just waiting for the Monster Association arc to end in the manga so they could finish adapting it. I'd love it if they could switch to a better studio and a more reasonable schedule, but I'm expecting the same staff, studio and mediocre animation as the previous season.

it isn't mediocre it was more than decent if you can ignore the inconsistencies.

Do you see what's wrong with this statement?
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Of course the two most obvious question on everyone's mind right now is

1. Which studio will be tackling this Third Season?
And
2. With how loooong the spoiler[Monster Association saga/arc] is, will they animate it all the way through to the end?
Excoman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:

Yeah, people want their entertainment to look as good as possible and absoultely no one with half a brain wants to settle for mediocrity... like you do, apparently.
And that is why you guys end up being disappointed more than being entertained.

Life itself is mediocre for most of us, especially anime fans.
catone2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:44 am Reply with quote
While Season 2 wasn't as good quality, the writing was perfectly fine. They still did Garou's set up great justice. However, whoever is handling Season 3, I say: good luck because the amount of battles is going to kill.

HueyLion wrote:
Of course the two most obvious question on everyone's mind right now is

1. Which studio will be tackling this Third Season?
And
2. With how loooong the spoiler[Monster Association saga/arc] is, will they animate it all the way through to the end?

Considering they announced it with the final chapter of the Garou Saga and that key visual, I'm guessing so. There's honestly no good stopping point outside of the ending if you think about it.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
Despite the general disappointment with season 2, I figured the production committee was just waiting for the Monster Association arc to end in the manga so they could finish adapting it. I'd love it if they could switch to a better studio and a more reasonable schedule, but I'm expecting the same staff, studio and mediocre animation as the previous season.

it isn't mediocre it was more than decent if you can ignore the inconsistencies.

Do you see what's wrong with this statement?

nope but i don't think you do either.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:16 am Reply with quote
The first season brought a lot of things together in an ideal blend to stand out from the average, so a step down to approximately “fine” in some aspects was a big disappointment for anyone hoping for the same feeling from the second season. They had a franchise set up to grow even bigger and the jarring drop in effective quality stunted it instead.

I enjoyed the second season, but seeing that missed potential is still frustrating. They did better by the end and clearly tried their best for the final fight of the season, but that fight was one of my favourites from all manga and came out being just “good.” Way better than nothing if you don’t have access to the manga, but what a wasted opportunity.

The manga becomes even more focused on flashy fights and epic visuals from there, so production quality will be very relevant. A lot of it could be nightmarish to try to animate well.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:26 am Reply with quote
I won't be surprised S3 goes to LIDEN FILMS or something like that. None of the sakuga Twitter accounts were celebrating S3 and May Callum's Tweet seems to be more of a foreboding than anything:

https://twitter.com/CanipaShow/status/1560111575142637568
clawfinger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:42 am Reply with quote
Glad the third season was announced.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:

the inconsistencies were like 94 % of it
faboo95

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:45 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
There's more to anime than just animation. The compositing/photography in S2 was absolutely awful, the direction was average at best and the sound design was almost insulting. It's not about being spoiled, but expecting a competent production. I know it's not the staff's fault, they were given no time and had to crunch. But I'm sitll not gonna pretend it looked visually pleasing outside of Aoki's work which was sadly butchered by the bad compositing.

Thank you!!! I've ways been saying that yhe lower quality in visuals would've been far easier to look past if the other factors you mentioned were fine, which sadly wasn't the case.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:16 pm Reply with quote
faboo95 wrote:
Matros wrote:
There's more to anime than just animation. The compositing/photography in S2 was absolutely awful, the direction was average at best and the sound design was almost insulting. It's not about being spoiled, but expecting a competent production. I know it's not the staff's fault, they were given no time and had to crunch. But I'm sitll not gonna pretend it looked visually pleasing outside of Aoki's work which was sadly butchered by the bad compositing.

Thank you!!! I've ways been saying that yhe lower quality in visuals would've been far easier to look past if the other factors you mentioned were fine, which sadly wasn't the case.

the schedule was tight because of it the sound direction and photography were rushed but they tried their best and the director's episode 4 was good and better than the first episode and metal bat's character was handled well.

it shows how you guys don't have mercy but it shouldn't be surprising from a bunch of etile people lol.

Last edited by Joker#941490 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:17 pm Reply with quote
asanime6 wrote:
Joker#941490 wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:

the inconsistencies were like 94 % of it

you just focus on what it's bad only.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:45 pm Reply with quote
We’re not saying they’re bad people (or I’m not at least), but a big step down in overall quality is a big step down regardless of whether there’s a good reason for it, or regardless of how the result compares to the average anime. People’s expectations were high due to the quality of the first season and failing to meet those expectations resulted in disappointment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5