• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan The Final Season Anime's Promo Video Reveals New Staff at MAPPA

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
dcresistance wrote:
Ozzy4k wrote:
uh didn’t the wit team do the pv as a parting gift ?

Nope, it was animated by MAPPA

I'm still wondering where people are picking up these false pieces of info...
xyz

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:47 pm Reply with quote
There are two most beautiful series, one is IG's Moribito and the other one is MAPPA's Bahamut Virgin Soul.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Ummmm why were the initial people on this thread screaming about how this looks bad and how it is a serious downgrade (when it clearly isn't)? It is because so many of you already claimed that it would suck without WIT and, now that a trailer gives you contradictory evidence, you are doubling down on your baseless claims? Frantically grasping at straws to prove yourself right? Or am I taking crazy pills?

The PV looks good. The animation and character decisions look good. I don't understand what people are talking about (especially when looking at the staff working on this show). As long as they are given enough time, with a sizable budget, and are passionate about it; the idea that this would suck or looks bad is laughable. Unpopular opinion, is it possible that the PV's character decisions actually look . . .closer to the manga? (insert surprised Pikachu face here).

No matter what, I'm sure once this show comes out, regardless of its merits and flaws, it will be nick-picked to high heaven with people screaming about how they were "right the entire time" and they definitely didn't make their mind up months before the show already aired and will refuse to admit that they are wrong and are being irrational.

Also...it is not like the animation style for AoT has remained consistent from the very beginning anyway, but I digress.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm really not happy that studios changed, but I'm willing to give Mappa a chance.
I'm just way too used to Araki's direction, Imai's sakuga animation and the overall art style and I'm pretty bummed that it all will be different. Like even if it will be a really decent anime, I'm sure it will always feel a bit off compared to previous seasons and like there's missing something that made the anime adaptation what it was.

Btw. This PV was preproduced and directed by someone else, so don't expect to see the scenes exactly like this in the final product.

Also, regarding the music, I'm just hoping we will get lots of new Sawano greatness and they won't have Yamamoto as the new main composer with Sawano just being credited because they also use his old music + maybe 1-2 guest vocal tracks.

For the animation staff, all I'm hoping now is that a decent chunk of talented freelancers, who were regulars on previous seasons, like Imai, will return for the final season.

A new Linked Horizon song would also help to feel more at home.

Connor Dino wrote:

The PV looks good. The animation and character decisions look good. I don't understand what people are talking about (especially when looking at the staff working on this show)

I think people are wording it wrong. It's not that the animation or character designs look bad, it's more about that it looks noticebly different than what we were used to, so they are worried:

https://preview.redd.it/vc5yb5y0mq151.png?width=682&auto=webp&s=3bcfcaf64cba1b0320486f3c9d0266a18456eb4f
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
AgustD wrote:
dcresistance wrote:
Ozzy4k wrote:
uh didn’t the wit team do the pv as a parting gift ?

Nope, it was animated by MAPPA

The tweet you posted literally tells you exactly the opposite, that MAPPA didn't made the PV. The guy that tweeted that is the producer from WIT Studio.

In case you didn't read this part of his tweet:

Quote:
Every shots of this PV were made by the team of MAPPA. Through this work, I felt their eagerness for this title!

He did storyboard and direct the PV, but you can't say that MAPPA didn't make the PV.

Honestly, looking at how people think that the PV is made by Wit just shows Mappa's capability of giving at least comparable quality to Wit's adaptation. Now we'll probably need to see a trailer which has an actual footage from the series, with the storyboard and direction from Yuichiro Hayashi before saying any further. But if you already think negatively of Mappa, then it might not matter.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:11 am Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
I'm really not happy that studios changed, but I'm willing to give Mappa a chance.
I'm just way too used to Araki's direction, Imai's sakuga animation and the overall art style and I'm pretty bummed that it all will be different. Like even if it will be a really decent anime, I'm sure it will always feel a bit off compared to previous seasons and like there's missing something that made the anime adaptation what it was.

Yeah this is one of the main factors, we've been with them for so long for so many eps this far into the show it's only natural and once they got into season 2 they really dialed in the style. Plus the directing style as well and the way they shot the odm gear.

SonDavid wrote:
Man... I am so scared that they changed studios. Why would they do this with such an important anime? Please, let it be just as good. Attack on Titan was combination of everything: Animation, music, script, directing, OP/ED, overall feeling... man.

Wishing for nothing but the best from my favorite show.

Hopefully, please, let MAPPA have all the input for Wit-Studio.

Why would they change studios?

This.
I generally really like MAPPA but with just one last season to go it still hurts this close to the end, as even if they do a pretty good job it's obvious it'll still feel different. The trailer looked quite good but after so many episodes into the show it's not like it doesn't feel different in certain shots and especially design touches to the character designs where you could certainly tell even when trying to match it the characters are being drawn differently (like even some of the already older characters like Zeke took a minute, not to mention Levi). On the other hand at least it's a quality studio like MAPPA that has plenty of big-budget-looking stuff under their belt and not some of the other studios it could have gone to...

But like Narutofreak1412 said, I think the biggest "what the hell are they thinking?!" news of the trailer for me was probably also seeing another composer's name come up and that we're suddenly getting a split soundtrack out of nowhere with Sawano seemingly only doing part of the final soundtrack, which sounds like a frankly terrible why the hell would you do that idea this late in the game.

The music for this series has been iconic at this point and a major part of its identity. Like Narutofreak1412 said, I'm especially kinda worried all of a sudden about this part, when I wasn't expecting to be, if he's only being credited mostly because they'll be using his returning music and most of the new tracks end up coming from the other composer (who's done some other split osts with Sawano), when I was looking forward to all his new tracks for the big finale.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:47 am Reply with quote
At least the right moment was chosen to "mix things up". A new soundscape could work as the manga did become different starting right here. MAPPA already existed for 2 years by the time this anime debut in 2013 so that´s something to think about. IG was involved with S01. I would have bet on them taking over when the rumors of the studio change began to look real but again, MAPPA is fine studio if they get money and time and the tail end of such a show ain´t the time to cheap out. The story´s visual scale is quite large too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:16 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
IG was involved with S01.

It was no surprise IG helped with S1 since WIT was freshly founded by ex-IG members, mainly the staff behind things like Guilty Crown.

residentgrigo wrote:
At least the right moment was chosen to "mix things up". A new soundscape could work as the manga did become different starting right here.

Yeah, I agree.
Especially the beginning part of that last arc caught many people by surprise by how different it felt, so the anime having a different feel and look will surely amplify this.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:33 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
IG was involved with S01. I would have bet on them taking over when the rumors of the studio change began to look real

They also fully worked on Junior High which was why I myself thought they would be handling this one when the rumors came out last year.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
I'm actually quite relieved. MAPPA's a good studio. They've put out some really good stuff. This isn't some huge budget-saving downgrade like what poor One Punch Man got. Check out their Rage of Bahamut series, or Yuri on Ice, or their Dorohedoro show that just dropped on Netflix. Might alleviate some fears if you go and see what this studio has put out. They're not chumps.
It does suck they lost studio Wit but if the show was going to move, MAPPA's a good second choice.

I distinctly remember Yuri on Ice being ruthlessly mocked for it's low budget animation back in the day.

Dorohedoro is 3DCG which, well, may not be a very reassuring namedrop if that's going to be the future of AoT. Dorohedoro's animation killed it for me, and I was really looking forward to it when the anime was announced since I like the manga.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
I distinctly remember Yuri on Ice being ruthlessly mocked for it's low budget animation back in the day.

It's really only in the middle episodes where Yuri on Ice's animation goes off model (since it was likely a challenge to animate all those figure skating programs one after the other), and it wasn't mocked nearly as often as, say, something put out by DEEN. The early episodes and the last few episodes range from "pretty solid" to "very good," and the DVD release improved a lot of animation in later episodes.

On the subject of AoT, I don't go here, but I think MAPPA will be able to do a good job with it. Their productions aren't all perfect, but they can look really good when there's enough effort put in.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:52 am Reply with quote
i am annoyed because of this Lets boycott protest this lets do a hastag on twitter it will work be sure of it!!! A tv show called Brooklyn Nine-Nine ( https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/may/12/brooklyn-nine-nine-saved-by-nbc-after-social-media-outcry-guillermo-del-toro ) did get RENEWED!!!. aot is more popular than this show lets assemble and let wit studio get it back.I dont want a one punchman nanatsuNoTaizai disaster again not with this show!!!
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:06 pm Reply with quote
#909363 wrote:
i am annoyed because of this Lets boycott protest this lets do a hastag on twitter it will work be sure of it!!! A tv show called Brooklyn Nine-Nine ( https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/may/12/brooklyn-nine-nine-saved-by-nbc-after-social-media-outcry-guillermo-del-toro ) did get RENEWED!!!. aot is more popular than this show lets assemble and let wit studio get it back.I dont want a one punchman nanatsuNoTaizai disaster again not with this show!!!

You're really overestimating how much influence western anime fans have over anime. If any fans have a say over what happens to an anime, it's Japanese fans, not us. Most anime is made with a Japanese audience in mind.

And as popular as Attack on Titan is in America, it's still niche compared to Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which is an American show that the average American viewers is way more likely to be familiar with.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
#909363 wrote:

You're really overestimating how much influence western anime fans have over anime. If any fans have a say over what happens to an anime, it's Japanese fans, not us. Most anime is made with a Japanese audience in mind.

İ am not overestimating anthing. i am ofcourse not talking about only western fans .we should every aot fan assemble on a hastag. if did work for only one country on america it should work for aot to because every anime fan did watch aot anime we have a big mass of people. so i am sure. İf we can let our voice hear .we can make wit studio RENEWED the aot anime.
İ am sure
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, this point in the story is likely the best time to change studios and possibly art-styles(Though from this preview it looks as though they're going to keep faithful to the established style). I don't remember what kind of flashbacks we have in the story from here on, but if there are any involving the first 3 seasons, do you think MAPPA will redo them, or use WIT Studio footage of those scenes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5