• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel's Stan Lee Passes Away at 95

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Where are losing more and more people from the silver age of comics.Considering he was 95 most of his contemporaries or all probably left first Sad
May he rest in peace, and at least people won't be a able to con him anymore, I hope his daughter has better luck from now on.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see if any Japanese manga-ka do any tributes, such as a manga chapter shout-out to Stan.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Man, I knew this day was coming soon, but....it sometimes felt like he would live forever. RIP, man.

I haven't seen such an outpouring of love on Twitter since Carrie Fisher died.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Man, I knew this day was coming soon, but....it sometimes felt like he would live forever. RIP, man.

Sigh...The second time I finally got to schmooze with one of my influences online, only too late.
(I also used to comment on Roger Ebert's blog during the last days, and he said he liked my style of candor. Anime smile )

Only in the last year, Lee had gotten on his own Twitter account, to talk to fans personally--and also to express his side of the Chinese battle over Pow!, and the lawsuit that his representatives were defrauding him--and, like most grandpas trying to figure out the Young People's Online Social Media, asked his "true believers" to help talk him through the wild new world of Twitter.

Folks on the account started getting a little worried over summer, when, apart from just vintage archive material or Pow! plugs, the "video chats" started to be only previously-filmed clips of a very scratchy and worn Lee at home on his couch talking about Jack Kirby or his early days--Fans noticed the no-show Lee, and asked "Is he all right?"
Finally, in August, Lee did take back to his account, excusing his absence and talking about his medical problems, and--as he explained in true Stan the Man style--the problem fans had seemed to notice with the use of his hands:
https://twitter.com/TheRealStanLee/status/1030492763052105728

...That was one of the last times Twitter ever heard from him personally. Anime cry
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
AsuratheDestructor wrote:
He may have done some shady buisiness decisions in his life, and his collaborations with anime studios and mangaka might have been underwhelming, but he was still an influential legend.

To be fair, such shady business dealings were just the norm of business back in the day. The real question is whether you want to let it define Stan Lee's legacy. The answer is obvious.
HK16

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest... I thought about Stan Lee passing away back in September and October (he's 95) just randomly after watching his cameos in Marvel films and thought that it would be a huge blow. And one month later, it finally happened. I just want to say thank you for the memories and impacting my life and many other lives.

RIP

PS: What happens to The Reflection now? Nagahama thought Stan would make an announcement for it at a later date back in December last year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4