• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: [New Life+] Young Again in Another World Anime Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
the author IS to blame. It doesn't matter if he apologized. He still made the racist statements, and yes, they were factually racist. Stop pretending they were not.

"Making just the statement five years ago and have a regret of it still makes you racist - but when it comes to freedom of speech, it's a norm. Hello, double standards."

His "regret" was making the comments public, not being racist. Not even sure what you're getting it when the freedom of speech bit. He had the freedom of make those comments. But there's consequences to the things you say. It's not a double standard at all.
Sorry, but what exact consequences? Does statement breaking the laws or something? Like, if you know the laws in USA, you can pretty much speak about everything, including racist statements - and it's not forbidden, because of the freedom of speech guaranteed by First Amendment. And the same goes for Japanese constitution, that guarantees for all of its sitizens the freedom of speech.

So basically, it's a double standard - you talk about his statement like that he's breaking the law (because it's racist, and of course it's wrong - no complaints), but actually, that made people like this breaking the law, because it means there is enforcement to freedom of speech for people like him. But because he was the racist five years ago, he's wrong - and they're right. And guys - where people like this been when the novel was even serialized, really?

Last edited by WANNFH on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
No, he's not breaking the law. That's why he's not arrested and in jail.

His statements in the past are a PR nightmare and it's easier to jettison the entire project than the try and work things out.

It turns out that anime is international business, and not saying disparaging comments (like Rapeland or Bugland or that the invasion of China was "self-defense") about potential consumers of your product is not a bright idea.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
So... why was J Novel Club actually translating this series? Has anyone questioned their judgment?

Because until a few days ago, it wasn't controversial.

I imagine they'll scrub it from their library within time, like Viz did with Kenshin. Don't want to be on the 'wrong side of history' after all.
Reilath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing was honestly pointless, if you didn't like what he said/did just don't watch his content, that way you don't support him, its as easy as that. But this whole manhunt was specifically incited to destroy MINE which of course was a huge success. And now fans of this LN will be disappointed thanks to anime industry that has no backbone and people that love disagreeing with others only if its via the internet.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Sorry, but what exact consequences? Does statement breaking the laws or something? Like, if you know the laws in USA, you can pretty much speak about everything, including racist statements - and it's not forbidden, because of the freedom of speech guaranteed by First Amendment. And the same goes for Japanese constitution, that guarantees for all of its sitizens the freedom of speech.

Those are guarantees that the government won't stop you from speaking. And guess what -- it's not. The guy can still say whatever he wants.

But his publisher has the same rights he does. They own the printing press. They can choose what to print and distribute, and if they decide they don't want to touch this guy's stuff anymore, they're in their right to give him a shove. This is no different from the decision newspapers make every day of the week not to publish Joe Crackpot's letter about aliens working with the Bilderberg Group to put estrogen in the water supply.

Last edited by Utsuro no Hako on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
musouka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Reilath wrote:
But this whole manhunt was specifically incited to destroy MINE which of course was a huge success.

Whhhhy won't someone think of the racist who said racist things that people noticed? Anime cry It's just so unfair for people to have opinions about other people's opinions!
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
His statements in the past are a PR nightmare and it's easier to jettison the entire project than the try and work things out.

It turns out that anime is international business, and not saying disparaging comments (like Rapeland or Bugland or that the invasion of China was "self-defense") about potential consumers of your product is not a bright idea.
And here is the thing - who's actually to blame for the things go really messy? The author who's made that statement long ago and regret about it? The editors who didn't bother about it at all when the work was serialized? The consumers of novel, who also didn't bother about it? The producer committee, who doesn't bother about it when TV series was approved? Or some people who cared about it only when pretty much of all this work is done?

Quote:
But his publisher has the same rights he does. They own the printing press. They can choose what to print and distribute, and if they decide they don't want to touch this guy's stuff anymore, they're in their right to give him a shove. This is no different from the decision newspapers make every day of the week not to publish Joe Crackpot's letter about aliens working with the Bilderberg Group to put estrogen in the water supply.
But the thing is - for what reason they didn't bother about it when he made that statements and serialized his work for years, but now they're kick him off? That's the real point.

Last edited by WANNFH on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
To make the question truly analogous to the current situation, if you used an offensive term about Mexicans, that would make you racist even though many Mexicans are of European descent.

Concepts of race are inherently squishy, and the notion that all Europeans are "white" is quite modern. It used to be that Europeans were divided into several racial groups -- Teutonic, Celtic, Slavic and Mediterranean/Latin/Greek being the main ones -- which is why we talk about Nazi racism even though their main victims were fellow Europeans. Even though our modern concept of race uses much broader groupings, the term "racism" still applies to, for instance, discrimination against Arabs or Mexicans who are technically "white". Or, in this case, to intra-Asian bigotry. Going on about how this is really "ethnicism" is just a silly distraction that doesn't make a damn bit of difference.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, this escalated quickly.

WANNFH wrote:
And here is the thing - who's actually to blame for the things go really messy? The author who's made that statement long ago and regret about it? The editors who didn't bother about it at all when the work was serialized? The consumers of novel, who also didn't bother about it? The producer committee, who doesn't bother about it when TV series was approved? Or some people who cared about it only when pretty much of all this work is done?

But the thing is - for what reason they didn't bother about it when he made that statements and serialized his work for years, but now they're kick him off? That's the real point.

The author is completely to blame for his statements. He made racist comments. You can't really blame somebody else for that. The publisher is to blame for thinking they could clean up the apparent racism in the web novel and nobody would notice (which they must have done, since their editors are probably the ones who told him to clean it up). The consumers... well, most of them probably were clueless, and some of them may have known and not minded it/even appreciated it. The production committee can probably get a pass. I doubt they researched it that in depth beforehand. Can you really blame them for not sifting through years of tweets? And as for the people who took note once the anime was announced... well, what did you expect? An anime announcement is naturally going to draw a lot of interest from a whole lot of people, including some who probably dropped the original light novel/web novel due to its content but didn't think it was worth saying anything.

Anyway, this is kind of unfortunate, as I was at least mildly interested in this show. At least there's one other (apparently very good?) isekai anime slated for this fall.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
tenzen12 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Look guys just because Pewdiepie and The President can get away with racism with a slap on the wrist doesn't mean that it's okay.

He's only getting exactly what was coming to him.

Maybe he does, but I am hell sure I didn't deserved be deprived of surprisingly good novel, neither did studio and publisher.

Irrelevant. Even fi say Hitler or Stalin work awesome books, it doesn't mean they shouldn't get shit canned for racism. A person talent is not a blanket check for them to do what they want. It's not like there aren't plenty good works out there on top of which don't have the baggage. If you treat your audience like crap than you should get what coming to you. Human history is full of dehumanization and we come point where know better than tolerate that shit anymore.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I find it odd that some manga has been 'jabbing' at American stuffs and yet, they're passable. But when it comes to China (and Korean thereof), they lose their shit.

W...T...F...?

Last I checked, the events in any types of manga are COMPLETELY FICTIONAL. Just because something happened in the manga doesn't really reflect what really happened in the real world.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
I find it odd that some manga has been 'jabbing' at American stuffs and yet, they're passable. But when it comes to China (and Korean thereof), they lose their shit.

W...T...F...?

Last I checked, the events in any types of manga are COMPLETELY FICTIONAL. Just because something happened in the manga doesn't really reflect what really happened in the real world.

The author did this to himself,instead of you know not continuing with the racist remarks on Twitter while their work was getting extra attention,he went right on tweeting...and we now know racism is not a side affect of taking Ambien so have to rule that out.

And then there is the web novel,which does have the protagonist killing Chinese during WWII with a sword
Google:"The contest to kill 100 people using a sword".

Just as an example-
Gate is freaking very pro Japanese nationalism.The web comic(holy crap lol)the manga both skewer the governments of the USA and China often.
But Gate does not fictionalize an egregious incident which occurred during the Nanjing Massacre.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
The cancellation brings up an interesting point concerning when it finally reaches the Amer. public domain: for post-1978 corporate works, foreign and domestic works enter the Amer. public the shorter term of 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation. Even this anime's copyright became free of its Amer. copyright on 1/1/2113, because it's a derivative work of the novels, an Amer. branch of MINE's estate could use that argument and re-copyright it* until the American life+70 copyright term expires. Even after the Amer. copyrights lapse, there are still trademarks that give it, for practical purposes, a perpetual copyright of sorts.

So, going with the above, let's say that 120+ years from now, all the Amer. copyright for both the anime and novels has lapsed. Also, all the applicable foreign/domestic trademarks have lapsed and no more trademarks are allowed to be made in relation to this anime. Let's also say that the Earth, internet. and digital preservation are all still around. Would the Japanese animation studio and rights holder be willing to give what was made of the anime masters to a person who wants to distribute it distribute online provided a fee was paid?

*A similar thing was done with "It's a Wonderful Life"*. For practical purposes, I find that copyright restoration is public domain infringement/theft and should carry the same penalties as copyright infringement, but there are no "fair use" exceptions here.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
To make the question truly analogous to the current situation, if you used an offensive term about Mexicans, that would make you racist even though many Mexicans are of European descent. ... for instance, discrimination against Arabs or Mexicans who are technically "white".

BULLSHIT. I am mexican and I can tell you that when someone starts to hate on mexicans they are hating on people of brown skin (which might not have been born in mexico), they know NOTHING about my country history or have any reason to hate the country at all. So yeah, nobody hates Mexico at all, quite different of how china-korea-japan hate other.

BTW, how can I tell? I am white (look at my avatar Smile but my brother is not and he gets a lot of shit every time he crosses the border and I never had.

Bottom line, this is about country hating each other and the chinese want to play the racism card because it is useful, just like using the "hillary is evil" card was useful for the russians in 2016.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

So basically, it's a double standard - you talk about his statement like that he's breaking the law (because it's racist, and of course it's wrong - no complaints), but actually, that made people like this breaking the law, because it means there is enforcement to freedom of speech for people like him. But because he was the racist five years ago, he's wrong - and they're right. And guys - where people like this been when the novel was even serialized, really?

The freedom of speech provided by the First Amendment in the USA only protects you from the government. You are allowed to say what you want but that doesn't make it okay. You can make all the racist statements you want, but just remember there are consequences that come with those statements. Prime example: Roseanne was just cancelled from national TV because of Roseanne Barr's racist statement on Twitter. Statements like those are looked down on in society and aren't tolerated regardless of free speech so the speakers get their due punishment.

This author's statements are no different. He pissed off the wrong people and now he's paying for it. He now has no anime and the fate of his light novel is up in the air; and he only has himself to blame for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6