• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces the Nominees for Its 2nd Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Wait My Hero Academia had action in it
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I would prefer that political correctness not be an issue but that nominee list for hero of the year has only one male hero. That just seems a bit more than a coincidence. And when it comes to preselection in online polls it is done to narrow the range of choices.

I mean, when you have WAY more female characters than male ones in anime as a whole and when entire genres entirely dominated by females (like mahou shoujo, incidentally), it only makes sense that a "mixed" character list would also be dominated by them.

Actually, forcing the list to be half and half despite how popular or likeable the characters are WOULD be the "political correct" thing to do.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
So the judges only chose the options for the vote?

I think that's an interesting way to do these and not have it be just a popularity contest and also give a boost to those indies that haven't seen too much fandom - after all they're in the anime awards! I do expect the most popular works to win, but I can't say I'm bothered by it.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
So the judges only chose the options for the vote?

I think that's an interesting way to do these and not have it be just a popularity contest and also give a boost to those indies that haven't seen too much fandom - after all they're in the anime awards! I do expect the most popular works to win, but I can't say I'm bothered by it.

It can still be manipulated though. Yuri On Ice last year was nominated in absolutely all 7 categories it could - and won them all.
Then again almost so were My Hero Academia, who won a couple, and Kabaneri, which had the most nominations (9) and came out last in every single one of them lol, this one was the obvious shilling that backfired hard.

This year it's My Hero Academia alone (8+1 categories) which is easier to swallow because of its sheer popularity and wide appeal but quite excessive nonetheless.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
The nominations this year are good, now let's see how the actual winners will be.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Last years Anime awards show was a total sham and a complete mockery of the entire Anime community with yaoi on ice winning in just about every category so hopefully this year Crunchyroll takes things a hell of a lot more seriously.

Last edited by AnimeLordLuis on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
It can still be manipulated though. Yuri On Ice last year was nominated in absolutely all 7 categories it could - and won them all.

I get that's kind of a boring result, but from what I've seen it's both popular and well received among critics, so it's an almost expected result. Again, can't say I'm very bothered by it - I'd be much more interested in seeing the top 5 in general than 'a winner' anyway.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
Because Fate/Apocrypha doesn't deserve Best Animation when its animation was subpar for most of the series.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=fate%2Fapocrypha

It was definitely not subpar for most of the series.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Last years Anime awards show was a total sham and a complete mockery of the entire Anime community with yaoi on ice winning is just about every category so hopefully this year Crunchyroll takes things a hell of a lot more seriously.

What did Crunchyroll really think was going to happen? Every metric they had (financial success, social media success, etc.) had been telling them that Yuri on Ice was not only one of the most successful shows of the year, but maybe even of the past decade. Letting people pick it for just about every category was therefore a big mistake in terms of instilling the appearance of "legitimacy" to their brand new awards show (at least with the portion of the online anime community who weren't on the Yuri on Ice hype train): when a show gets that big, people tend to abandon "hmmm, ____ had the best sound design, even if it wasn't my absolute favorite show of the year", in favor of "wow, ____ was my favorite show of the year, I'm going to vote for it in every category, no matter what!"
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wait My Hero Academia had action in it

TOOOOUUUUURNAMEEEENT ARRRRRRRRRRRRCCCCCCCC!
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Maybe people just don't find harem leads from My Dad Got Remarried to the Queen of Narnia and Now My Step-Sisters Keep Trying to Trap Me in Wardrobes light novel adaptations "heroic" anymore.
Well technically we won't know since the nominees for the poll were preselected. I am not saying that the guy from Rewrite would have won and you could give plenty of examples of male heroes that would have easily lost in the poll. The issue with preselection is that it does write off the male heroes from Attack on Titan, WorldEnd, Granblue Fantasy, Boruto, Grimorie of Zero, Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond, and every other show that wasn't on that preselected list. For an online poll where space isn't exactly limited the rationale for preselection is that the critics can help make sure that the "best" choices win. To which I ask the obvious question if this was about what the critics thought was best why even let people vote in the polls?

zrnzle500 wrote:
Which characters would you choose over the nominees for the hero category? That might make the merits of your argument more clear.
I am simply thinking that if this poll is about popularity why not just let people select the nominees out of all the anime of the year in a preliminary vote to make the nominee lists and than hold a vote on those nominee lists?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Why they choose not to put Sakura Quest under the Best Anime category (for 2017) is what has me curious.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
What bothers me is that it's not called "Crunchyroll 2nd Annual Anime Choice Awards", in which the winners are decided by public poll, despite the nominee being chosen by the judge, while they're no longer involved in deciding the winner post the nominating stage as I understood it.

As for the nominee, I generally quite satisfied as I think those being nominated are pretty deserving. I'm glad that Shaft (March) finally got recognition for their animation works. They have been mostly minimal in their animation, but when they do it, it's a surprise. I still remember the beautiful animation of the rumbling buildings in Mekakucity Actors (Ene's song part). Not to mention some action animation in Madoka and Monogatari series.

I'm just wondering about the fact that A Silent Voice, which is a movie, is nominated for best animation along with the other nominees, all are series. It might be eligible but then kizumonogatari has a lot of stunningly animated action sequences which may stand out among those nominees. As well as BBB & Beyond.

Last edited by Dian Z on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure everything is going to go to Made In Abyss this year but hey, at least it deserves them more than Yuri on Ice

Anime of the Year: Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū Season 2
Manga of the Year: Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju (I guess)
Best Action: My Hero Academia Season 2
Best Drama: March comes in like a lion Season 2
Best Comedy: GAMERS!
Best Slice of Life: Recovery of an MMO Junkie
Best Continuing Series: March comes in like a lion.
Best Animation: My Hero Academia Season 2
Hero of the Year: :Gin Minowa (Yuki Yuna Is a Hero)
Villain of the Year: Hiro Shishigami (Inuyashiki)
Best Opening: “Shinzou wo Sasageyo!” by Linked Horizon (Attack on Titan Season 2)
Best Ending: “Step Up LOVE” by DAOKO x Yasuyuki Okamura (Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond)
Best Boy: Shoto Todoroki (My Hero Academia)
Best Girl: Moriko Morioka (Recovery of an MMO Junkie)
Best Film: A Silent Voice
Best CGI: Land of the Lustrous
Best Score: Re:CREATORS
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
@Chrono1000 Overall, I prefer critics choosing the nominees than the general population as it lends the vote a critical imprimatur so it doesn't seems as much of a pure popularity contest. I'm not convinced a method that gives a good chance of Boruto or Black Clover being one of the nominees for best of the year is obviously superior to having critics narrow it down. I'm not sure if they will do it this year, but last year they did allow write ins, which might mitigate that line of criticism. Letting people vote on the winner makes the result more democratic and less like critics sending down the word on what is the best anime from on high. I think the method they have chosen strikes the best balance between critic and popular opinion.

For your choices, while I liked the shows, I don't know that I would have picked the male leads of WorldEnd, Granblue Fantasy, or Grimoire of Zero over the nominee, and honestly I probably couldn't remember their names without looking it up, let alone their personality in more than extremely vague terms. I could see the male characters of Attack on Titan and BBB being competitive, but Eren seems like just the kind of character that would be slung around social media as proof of how much of a joke the awards show is. But even for other male contenders in AoT or BBB, I don't know that any of them are obviously superior to the other nominees, so I think the nominees are reasonable enough quality wise. I will agree with what Yuvelir said on forcing the nominees for the hero category to have a more even gender ratio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8