• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Fall 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
Best: Ancient Magus' Bride definitely deserves the praise it gets, and I imagine it's going to get loads more down the line. It's an excellent piece, especially if you're where the manga currently is. I'm definitely going to pick this up when it gets a home release.

Runner-Up: I also want to give praise where it's due with Altair for being a production that tries to adapt aspects of Turkish culture. I haven't read the manga, but some folks here have mentioned that there are some drastic differences with the pacing of each major arc compared with the anime (apparently, the anime jumps too quickly through a few of them, I think?). The Japanese VAs need a language coach though, since they just can't pronounce anything in Turkish correctly. I'm hoping Altair gets a dub, possibly a Turkish one as well as an English one, but that's stretching it.

I don't really have a Worst choice selection since I don't have enough time to watch that many shows and I only really choose the titles I know will appeal to me. That said, King's Game sounds pretty terrible, according to everyone here as well as the linked article. It sounds about as terrible as Blood-C, and that's setting the bar pretty low.
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
This season had a lot of good anime.

Best: Land of the Lustrous, Girls' Last Tour
I'm a fan of the Land of the Lustrous manga, so perhaps it's a bit cheating but I was stil genuinely impressed with the anime. Hearing that the anime was going to be CG was a bit concerning at first, but I'm happy to see that the anime is stunning. The gem hair looks beautiful, the character animations are so well done, and the action scenes are a delight to watch for any sakuga fan. Here's to hoping that there will be a season 2.

I found the art style for Girls' Last Tour to be off putting (and frankly I stll do) but I decided to start watching the anime after hearing how good the anime. And boy, it sure doesn't disappoint. Who knew that a post-apocalyptic show could be so relaxing and thoughtful?

Runner Up: The Ancient Magus' Bride
I'm a fan of the manga and I do like the anime, but I don't like the anime enough to warrant it being on my best list. The comedic bits I found ok in the manga are too jarring in the anime. I wish they didn't do an exact one-to-one with the manga on that kind of stuff.

Worst: Kino's Journey - the Beautiful World -
I'm a big fan of the 2003 anime, so I'm disappointed how lackluster this new anime is. It lacks the contemplative nature the 2003 anime had and, unfortunately, it makes Kino incredibly dislikable. Fortunately, Girls' Last Tour was a great substitute this season.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm also puzzled at all the encomiums being heaped upon MMO Junkie. Is all we need to make 30-ish reviewers happy is to show them 30-ish characters? I found the indecision of the main characters very offputting, and the plot largely predictable and uninspired. If I want to watch shows with women in their late 20's or early 30's I'd choose something like Moribito, Hataraki Man, or Otona Joshi no Anime Time whose characters have insight and agency.

I'm torn between Magus's Bride and Girls' Last Tour for best of the season.

Like a couple of others before me, I haven't been able to join in the accolades for Land of the Lustrous either. I've watched half-a-dozen episodes, and the series has yet to grab my attention to make me want to continue on. I find Phos a very annoying character; spoiler[I was hoping s/he was eaten by the shell creature, and a new protagonist would emerge.] I'll probably go back and finish it, but it's nowhere close to GLT and Bride in my book.

Also, the positive comments for the second season of 3-gatsu no Lion are spot on. I think it's better than the first season. Though I enjoyed that season enough to marathon it, season two taps into my emotions in a way the first season did not. Even what could be cliched moments spoiler[like Hina and Rei on the riverbank in Kyoto] are carried off with such aplomb that they feel fresh and powerful. I never would have guessed Simbo Akiyuki could direct a show with this much emotional content in such an effective way.

I don't have any "worsts" since I never get far with shows that don't appeal to me. On that list is Inayushiki, which I dropped after the spoiler[bloodbath] in episode two, and Kotohana Kitan which seemed derivative after the first episode.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm also puzzled at all the encomiums being heaped upon MMO Junkie. Is all we need to make 30-ish reviewers happy is to show them 30-ish characters?

I found her age to be more of a nice bonus - what I really like about the show is the way it subtly showed how draining Moriko found her work environment and that she was better able to interact with people (initially) online, where her anxious and introverted personality didn't get in her own way. That, more than her age, is what made the show appealing for me. (I can see how that could come off as indecisive, however.)
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
So I’m 4 or 5 episodes into Kino’s Journey, and I’m liking it, if not loving it (not a big fan of its episodic nature)... I had been planning on watching the 2017 remake(? Follow up?) after, but from the sounds of it, would I be better off ignoring it entirely?
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
So I’m 4 or 5 episodes into Kino’s Journey, and I’m liking it, if not loving it (not a big fan of its episodic nature)... I had been planning on watching the 2017 remake(? Follow up?) after, but from the sounds of it, would I be better off ignoring it entirely?

Some people here like to make ot sound bad, but as someone who really enjoyed the original, I think the new one is pretty great. The dub is pretty damn good too.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote
1st: Land of the Lustrous - Other than being an amazing show just by itself, following the discussion, the score, the podcast, the various reviews, the production note, the rise from obscurity, all have been an absolute joy.
2st: Girl's Last Tour - It was when I saw the Kettenkrad in motion for the first time when I remember I read the manga before but forgot about it. So the anime is more like a rediscovery of the series and I keep going "ooh I remember this!" The entire time. It's also a great substitute for Kino's disappointment.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
Best (Enjoyment): Recovery of an MMO Junkie/Netjuu no Susume. It's just so cute and fluffy, it warms my heart. The fact it contains a 30 year old woman who likes gaming and is a NEET is the icing on the cake.

Best (Holistic View): Land of the Lustrous/Houseki no Kuni. It contemplates various themes and brings sakuga battles. While its power creep is quite jarring, it also adds to the symbolism relating to Phos's maturity.

Worst: King's Game. I answered Urahara on another forum I'm on for what it could've been (I'm an advocate of affirmative action), but now that I reconsider it, King's Game made less sense than that, and that's judging both from one episode each.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

There's a lot of hate for it here that isn't echoed elsewhere. I watched both and think that some remake stories are better, some worse, and those that aren't remakes are wonderful to get to see.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm also puzzled at all the encomiums being heaped upon MMO Junkie. Is all we need to make 30-ish reviewers happy is to show them 30-ish characters? I found the indecision of the main characters very offputting, and the plot largely predictable and uninspired. If I want to watch shows with women in their late 20's or early 30's I'd choose something like Moribito, Hataraki Man, or Otona Joshi no Anime Time whose characters have insight and agency.

Considering that each of the reviewers who cited MMO Junkie also provided reasons for liking the show that went beyond the age of the characters, the bolded part of your statement above is insultingly reductive. Ah, but of course their non-age related praise doesn't jibe with your personal opinion therefore there is no point in acknowledging that those opinions actually exist, is there?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
...Like a couple of others before me, I haven't been able to join in the accolades for Land of the Lustrous either. I've watched half-a-dozen episodes, and the series has yet to grab my attention to make me want to continue on. ... it's nowhere close to GLT and Bride in my book.
I agree and as an update, I "binge raced" (really, who thought up that awkward phrase?) LL yesterday and will say the show got slightly more interesting after Ep5, enough that I could get to the end at least. However, I'm still not appreciating that nothing gets resolved by the end and instead shamelessly sets up more mysteries for the presumed second season. I'm surprised reviewers haven't gotten all over that as they did for another series in recent memory. We do see Phos change but still with little-to-no insight into why she feels and acts as she does and turns into a spoiler[sullen, jaded (pun?), violent little Imo character]. I place it at least #3 or #4 for the season. The ED is easily the most interesting and addictive composition I've heard in a long time though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
We do see Phos change but still with little-to-no insight into why she feels and acts as she does and turns into a spoiler[sullen, jaded (pun?), violent little Imo character].

I feel like there are a lot of things that happen to Phos over the course of the show that readily explain why they are the way they are by the end. The shift in their personality is most directly caused by spoiler[the capture of Antarcticite and their attempts to sort out its causes, as well as by the gradual realization that their promise to Cinnabar was something they didn't really have the ability to back up when they made it. These two things intersect for Phos as an interrogation of the entire society the lustrous have been directed to create by Kongou, since while Phos can readily blame themselves for Antarcticite's capture, Kongou, as a God/parent figure for the gems, is in a sense responsible for all of their actions (something he's constantly reiterating throughout the show), and so Kongou shares responsibility in that sense for Phos' failure to save Antarcticite and for Cinnabar's isolation. If Phos actually wants to take responsibility for their actions and rectify both of these problems, it thus requires looking at the broader context in which those problems exist - questioning that context is something that the lustrous have collectively decided not to do, as Cinnabar says, so the result is that Phos becomes detached from the people around them. ]

And of course there's also the fact that by the end of the series, spoiler[around half of Phos' original body has been lost. Since the lustrous store their memories throughout their bodies, a personality change seems like an inevitable consequence of losing so much of your original body.]

Last edited by 鏡 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to see Konohana Kitan mentioned. I've been pretty casual with my recent Anime watching, sticking to Funimation Now's Simuldubs. I kinda assumed people would just gloss over it as "typical moe garbage" even though I found it really cute and tugging at my heartstrings.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Best: KIno's Journey
This was the show I most consistently enjoyed in a season that didn't have much for me. Nick's description of it as a "blunt instrument" is ironically just what attracted me to it: its simplicity kept it accessible and I liked that it wasn't fussy with the material it was exploring. There's room in the world for more unpretentious, straightforward meditations on socialization and city-state politics. The show also had a knack for knowing just when to slip into parody and provide me with a good laugh. I also happen to think Kino is inherently watchable as a character: that reactive, uninhibited element made every episode a little more interesting. I'll take a no-nonsense girl with guns and a pointedly debatable moral compass over some pure, tragic, vulnerable lost puppy who exists solely to give the audience a sense of catharsis over her attraction to a strong, capable dude waiting to sweep her away in his arms. Which brings me to:

Worst: Ancient Magus' Bride
This show made me sad. I watched as much as I could hoping my pagan heart would be at some point filled with the magic and folklore of a much better series that exists somewhere out there, but this one just floats along with its total lack of ambition, sinking itself with hamfisted plot devices and a cowardly imitation of romantic characterization that brings nothing new to its genre, and all of the bad things inherent to it. I don't need my feminine power narratives wrapped up in "will-they-won't-they" soap drama which puts the protagonist at every disadvantage so the audience can blush and squeal when their hopeless virginity is cast against superficial explorations of predatorial dynamics. Feminine magic and the truths it holds are way more interesting than this.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
We do see Phos change but still with little-to-no insight into why she feels and acts as she does ...
I feel like there are a lot of things that happen to Phos over the course of the show that readily explain why they are the way they are by the end...(many interesting points)...
Thanks very much for this! It has given me much to meditate on (no sarcasm).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5