• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Releases Map of Most Popular Fall Simulcasts for U.S., Canada

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Nunavut is a territory in northern Canada and the most popular Crunchy show there is Kiss Him, Not Me. Huh, wouldn't not have guessed Nunavut would be a fujoshi hotbed.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
Well, Nuvanut doesn't have a lot of people living in it, so even a few people can sway the results significantly.

I was hoping for more variety though, rather than just six shows per country.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
Another proud reason to live in AZ: an ice skating show that pushes even my tolerance for BL-teasing
akamarulover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote
lmao I'm Cali and Drifters is one of the few shows I'm not watching this season
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Sadly Flip Flappers, perhaps the most original show of the season, continues to get little appreciation.

I'm also surprised that Hibike! Euphonium 2 didn't make the cut anywhere. I thought the first season was quite popular, but maybe it's because I hang out at AnimeSuki where there's a larger bunch of KyoAni and moe fans.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Sadly Flip Flappers, perhaps the most original show of the season, continues to get little appreciation.

I'm also surprised that Hibike! Euphonium 2 didn't make the cut anywhere. I thought the first season was quite popular, but maybe it's because I hang out at AnimeSuki where there's a larger bunch of KyoAni and moe fans.

I think both of those shows are more niche than we would like to think. That's the case for the majority of stuff I watch, and only when I see things like this, do I actually realize that. March Comes In Like a Lion, Euphonium, and Flip Flappers are huge in my specific circles, just... not really in mainstream fandom as a whole. Apparently the Euphonium reviews are doing worse on the site than they were for the first season too. Which surprised me. I figured they would be some of the most popular reviews, at least on this site!
I am probably more surprised at the popularity of sports anime these days. Weird how fandom's interests can change so dramatically in such a short amount of time. 5 years ago I never would have thought Sports anime would be one of the biggest genres in the west..
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

I think both of those shows are more niche than we would like to think. That's the case for the majority of stuff I watch, and only when I see things like this, do I actually realize that. March Comes In Like a Lion, Euphonium, and Flip Flappers are huge in my specific circles, just... not really in mainstream fandom as a whole. Apparently the Euphonium reviews are doing worse on the site than they were for the first season too. Which surprised me. I figured they would be some of the most popular reviews, at least on this site!

A pattern I've noticed again and again is that the more you're into something, the more niche your tastes get. It doesn't apply to everything, of course, but the logic is that when you're first into something, you go into the more mainstream stuff, but that starts feeling more formulaic and predictable with time, so you move on to more niche territory.

Stuff like Flip Flappers is great, but its stream-of-consciousness feel and leisurely pace can turn people off who are looking for something more in line with what they imagine when they hear the word "anime."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4