• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
nhat wrote:
CR doesn't have the older episodes of SUPER?

They announced that they would upload the current arc first, then go through the backlog ten episodes a week until they have it all up. So at the moment, you can watch episodes 1 through 10, and 47 through 64 on CR. By the end of the month the entire show will be up.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
chronos02 wrote:
story that actually makes a lot of sense,

Goku gets turned into a kid with the DragonBalls by a trio of people he hasn't seen in about 30 years. An act that leads to the earth being endangered and forcing him, Trunks, and originally Goten into going into to space to find a newer set of DragonBalls that didn't exist in the original canon before the earth explodes......spoiler[which it does at the end of the first arc anyway.]

The other 2 arcs that follow make little sense.

Not to mention the fact that this is done by a separate set of Dragon Balls never before brought up which the God of Earth apparently made before separating into Piccolo and God yet Demon King Piccolo had never heard of the Dragon Balls before Pilaf told him about them, and these Dragon Balls don't just scatter across the planet after granting a wish, but across the entire universe, where one now has to find them in a single year or else the planet would explode.

There are so many glaring flaws with that premise that I have a hard time even figuring out where to begin. But to start with... WHY WOULD THE GOD OF EARTH MAKE SOMETHING SO MONUMENTALLY STUPID.

Oh, and then the show goes on to show Goku, Trunks and Pan on various "thrilling" adventures facing such formidable foes as... footsoldiers with guns, or... a guy who can make earthquakes. These are the same people who could stand up to and defeat monsters who could effortlessly destroy entire planets, and now you're telling me completely random footsoldiers are a threat to them?!

The short version being, the Black Star Dragon Balls arc is bad. Preposterously bad. I may have also hated the first arc in Super for being an utterly sub-par remake of the Battle of Gods movie that was worse on pretty much every conceivable level, but even that doesn't compare to how mind-bogglingly awful the Black Star Dragon Balls arc is. I mean, I've owned GT on DVD in its entirety for three years now... and I still haven't been able to get past it because of just how terrible that first arc is. (And the concepts of the later arcs coupled with GT's general reputation hardly makes me eager to keep going either.)

The American broadcast skipped those episodes. You can honestly skip straight to the 7th episode and not really miss anything. Not that it's particularly good immediately afterwards but it does start setting up plot points for the next major arc (the Baby arc).
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Db Super has been ok and this Trunks arc has been fine but there are some glaring problems i can't really ignore.I mean Super was already inconsistent but Trunks lasting against Black is blasphemy just like Zamasu having an immortal body somehow means he can now go toe to toe with The sayians when he had trouble with ss2 Goku. Another thing that bothers mewith this arc is Vegeta is supposed to be equal to Goku before he trained yet he was getting his face beat in constantly. Like Future Trunks, who is supposed to be weaker even lasts longer. Another thing is the glaring fact that they really could have just did the God ritual with Trunks and then train with him and then go back to future honestly. And finally the lack of Gohan,the non aging of Goten and kids Trunks and the gags are annoying to me
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I am convinced the failed Mafuba is foreshadowing for Zamaz's end. If he is invulnerable and inmortal and there are no Dragon Balls to remove that condition they will need to lock him away forever. And considering he cannot die it he will hate every minute of it.
But at the moment, there is fanservice to enjoy. I really liked the last time we saw Vegeta and Trunks attack in tandem, now that is quality father-son time Very Happy
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see a Father-Son attack again, this time with Vegeta and Trunks!
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
65:

spoiler[I find it rather ridiculous that they spent most of the episode hyping up this brand new Zamasu like he's the last boss in a Final Fantasy game only to have a tired Goku overtake him at the end. I would've preferred it if it was Vegeta and Trunks that got the last hit in with that Father/Son Galick Gun instead.

I can imagine Zamasu's new spear attack being really good in Xenoverse 2 possibly.

Not much else to say besides sweet jeebus that preview has me all sorts of excited. I'm glad that they aren't going to be dragging out all the pre-Vegito return stuff much longer. I get why they wouldn't do it immediately since they couldn't just grab the earrings without risking the lives of the two Kaioshins. There's also the fact that Goku and Vegeta don't really like the idea of fusion to begin with. Now with Zamasu being temporarily stunned I presume and with no other options, there's no reason for them not to fuse.]

Pretty meh on this one, but that preview perked up my mood immensely.....and then I saw a spoiler for episode 67's title get leaked I won't say it for the sake of not giving major spoilers but based solely on that title I can't say for sure that I'm gonna like the direction this climax takes..
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Db Super has been ok and this Trunks arc has been fine but there are some glaring problems i can't really ignore.I mean Super was already inconsistent but Trunks lasting against Black is blasphemy just like Zamasu having an immortal body somehow means he can now go toe to toe with The sayians when he had trouble with ss2 Goku. Another thing that bothers mewith this arc is Vegeta is supposed to be equal to Goku before he trained yet he was getting his face beat in constantly.

I think Vegeta pretty much admitted that while he's strong Goku will always be the stronger of the two. In large part because Goku's been training in the art of combat since he was a kid. Though to his credit he's one of the few characters in the series whose essentially beat Goku.....twice.

Lelouch Vi wrote:
the non aging of Goten and kids Trunks

....Super takes place a few months after the end of Z so of course they haven't aged much....Plus we know how aging is a pretty fickle thing in the DragonBall universe.

gedata wrote:
spoiler[There's also the fact that Goku and Vegeta don't really like the idea of fusion to begin with.]

Unless they changed this in Super, it's Vegeta that doesn't like it, at least in part because potara fusion is/was permanent.....and he was fusing with his rival.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

gedata wrote:
spoiler[There's also the fact that Goku and Vegeta don't really like the idea of fusion to begin with.]

Unless they changed this in Super, it's Vegeta that doesn't like it, at least in part because potara fusion is/was permanent.....and he was fusing with his rival.

Goku agreed with Vegeta when it came to the decision to not fuse to fight Buu on the Supreme Kai's world which implied that he wasn't completely gung-ho on using someone else's fighting power either. He's a lot more open to the idea when theirs absolutely no other choice though.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:

Goku agreed with Vegeta when it came to the decision to not fuse to fight Buu on the Supreme Kai's world which implied that he wasn't completely gung-ho on using someone else's fighting power either.

Though at the very least he didn't dislike the idea to the point of destroying his earring like Vegeta did.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else feel like Zamasu is at least partially a parody of more modern angsty anime villains and antiheroes? In particular, that bit in the final battle where he literally starts spoiler[crying at how wonderful he is "sacrificing" himself for the universe] bordered on overt satire. His voice-acting just got so enjoyably over-the-top. Even spoiler[Vegito] didn't buy it.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I really don't get the criticism of this episode. The Potara fusion is less dramatic because the characters can get out of it now? They could already do that with the dragon balls. If anything this makes it a viable option to keep in reserve because now it has a weakness and limit that keeps it from being a win-button. Plus it fixes that ridiculous cop-out they used as an excuse in the Buu saga. Trunks being the one who deals the final blow is too neat and tidy? How? This show has been all about Goku and Vegeta from the start so giving them the victory would have been the predictable choice. Thematic resonace should not be this easily dismissed.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I'm glad Trunks was the one to end things for two key reasons:

1. While not as bad as GT going Goku Time in terms of other characters not getting to shine thanks to Vegeta, Super letting a third character have their win is a nice change in pace.

2. Most importantly: This is Trunks' story, his challenge, his world. It would be so unsatisfying narratively speaking to have someone else solve all his problems for him. At least the last time he returned to the future, he killed his timeline's Androids and Cell if nothing else.

Trunks started off, upon learning of Blue and Goku having fought the God of Destruction, willing to let Goku and Vegeta solve his problems for him, happy to do so. But he grew as a character over this arc, thanks to his father in part. The man who was going to let Goku and Vegeta fight his battles for him was not the man ready to charge back into battle whether needed or not.

He came to understand a lot about himself, and refused to take the blame that his simple desire to create a world where humanity didn't have to suffer was some sort of Sin. Working with not only his father and Goku, but the human race and all life on Earth to show these mortals aren't just small, weak, sinful creatures, but could take Zamasu's lone, arrogant Justice and tell him to shove it just put a smile on my face.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I really liked a lot of this arc, but there are just so many inconsistencies in the fights. Goku, who should have been about the same as last time he got beaten nearly to death by Black, out powers Zamasu now? I thought Vegeta and Trunks winning was a bit much too, but they did at least have to combine their power to do it. I could maybe buy a spike from using the kaoiken, but Goku won the power struggle without that. Is Zamasu after fusing somehow not stronger at all? Somehow Trunks sword is stronger than Vegito's final kamehameha? I mean Vegito seemed to be wearing Zamasu down, but there was no real damage where as Trunks completely breaks his body apart with one hit. It took the entire pre android and Black massacre population to fuel a spirit bomb to defeat Buu. How does Trunks with a fraction of that produce an attack that exceeds Vegito's?

Black alone was built up as this incredible threat, but after reaching his 'final form' somehow is weak. Same with Vegito. Sure he beat the crap out of Zamasu, but too weak to cause lasting damage. They really shouldn't have done those fusions at all, and just had Trunks kill Black with that sword move while sealing Zamasu if that was how they wanted to end it.

For a series known for dragging things out, they really could have milked Vegito for more. DBZ milked the Vegito vs Buu fight a bit much, but this was way too short. Sure it looked good and was cool to see him again, but it felt like a rip off of the SS4 Gogeta fight. They fused, trash talk, beat the crap out of the guy, but then omg too stronk for fusion right before what looks like a finishing blow. Oh well, we should just use a spirit bomb instead. At least GT pulled power for its spirit bomb from more than what beat Buu which to me gave it a lot more credibility to be able to replace an attack from our fused Saiyans to end things.

Speaking of GT, I realized this arc borrowed some pretty key things like stealing a Saiyan body to gain power, fusing two of the same person to increase power, and then the previously mentioned SS4 Gogeta / SSB Vegito.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
This show has been all about Goku and Vegeta from the start so giving them the victory would have been the predictable choice. Thematic resonace should not be this easily dismissed.

Vegeta defeating the main villain is predictable......eventhough he's never done this before?
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
66:
spoiler[The animators must've used a Kaiokenx20 boost to finish this goddamn. Really dug the first 2/3rds of the ep as good, explosive fanservice. The idea that potara also runs on a time limit feels super retconny but I'll let it slide as their way of retroactively explaining why Vegito split apart during the Majim Buu arc (the idea that it had something to dowwith the environment of Buu's innards was bullshit, there was never a concrete answer) Same thing with how his tramsformation didn't lastfor the full time limit (Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks had the same issue).

Also nice nod to the games with the Final Kamehameha and all.

What I'm not down with is everything past that. Making Trunks into this beefed out Mary Sue throwing out limit breaks (literally used the Cross Slash and Climhazzard) and a [expletive] accidental Genki Dama of all things was [expletive] ridiculous. You'll have to lobotomize me before I'd be able to accept any of that. It took an entire planet full of willing individuals to generate enough power for Spirit Bomb that could destroy Buu. Not only that, but they did it to the point of exhaustion. Here though, only a handful of survivors and an exhausted Goku/Vegeta to kill Zamasu?]

This arc was a total bust. Hopefully the next one will at least imply that there are some lasting consequences or any connective tissue between what happened here and the rest of the story. Otherwise this really is just more bloody filler.

johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
Honestly, I really don't get the criticism of this episode. The Potara fusion is less dramatic because the characters can get out of it now? They could already do that with the dragon balls. If anything this makes it a viable option to keep in reserve because now it has a weakness and limit that keeps it from being a win-button. Plus it fixes that ridiculous cop-out they used as an excuse in the Buu saga. Trunks being the one who deals the final blow is too neat and tidy? How? This show has been all about Goku and Vegeta from the start so giving them the victory would have been the predictable choice. Thematic resonace should not be this easily dismissed.

Thematic resonance should be dismissed if the way its achieved feels this woefully unearned.[/spoiler]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
A fantastic climax to the best DB story arc since the Cell Games. Not only was it extremely well-animated and the characters stayed mostly on-model throughout (I guess that's a low bar there), but thematically strong, and exciting. I'm uncertain why people expected Vegetto to be the thing that finally beats the villain, he wasn't in the Buu arc. In fact, a fused character never beats anything. But it was fun to see Vegetto in action, regardless. I will admit that the Genki Dama sword was a tad sketchy, but I had no problem with the earring retcon (after all, the Kaioshins only had experiences with the effect on themselves). This was easily the best episode of this series thus far.

Zamasu/Black ended up being a really well-written villain, too. I appreciate that Toei's doing the franchise proud with the characters, at least, if not always the art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 40