• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lawsuit Filed Against Pokémon Go Developers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
lol does this suggest that Niantic specifically chose each location these things are placed at? I'll admit I don't know the specifics, but the fact that I've seen places previously gym-less later become a gym indicates that anywhere that people frequently play Pokemon Go is likely to become a gym. Although I'm unsure how a person's house becomes a gym, I've only heard that some people who were at high levels had their houses become gyms, also I have no idea how pokestops get assigns since I see them anywhere from post offices, restaurants, and churches to simply a street corner or an awning in a park.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
Another example of greedy, lawsuit-happy Americans reaching for a cheap pay day they don't deserve.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
Why should it be the property owner's burden to remove themselves from the app? It would be one thing if Niantic made reasonable efforts to avoid Pokemon appearing on private property, but they clearly just dumped everything they had into it - he may not win, but there's pretty decent grounds for a negligence suit(especially since this is class action, rather than personal).
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Why should it be the property owner's burden to remove themselves from the app? It would be one thing if Niantic made reasonable efforts to avoid Pokemon appearing on private property, but they clearly just dumped everything they had into it - he may not win, but there's pretty decent grounds for a negligence suit(especially since this is class action, rather than personal).

Sorry, you don't get to demand $5 million because a few people are knocking on your door. Amazed at how many people are defending this rubbish. Just goes to show what a self-entitled society we live in.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
You can't write off every lawsuit as unnecessary litigation just because there's a lot of it. Yes, the amount's large, but that's a standard legal tactic because you can't ask for more in damages after the fact; the judge will decide what's actually reasonable. And that's before the attempt to get class action status, which means each individual affect will receive a pittance.

Maybe you should read further about the lawsuit. But I don't expect it to change your mind too much: you clearly feel too entitled to play on other peoples' property to understand.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
You can't write off every lawsuit as unnecessary litigation just because there's a lot of it. Yes, the amount's large, but that's a standard legal tactic because you can't ask for more in damages after the fact; the judge will decide what's actually reasonable. And that's before the attempt to get class action status, which means each individual affect will receive a pittance.

Who's writing off "every" anything? I'm writing off this lawsuit as unnecessary litigation, which it is. IDGAF about the tactics, the lawsuit itself is unjust. Once again, you don't get to demand $5 million because someone knocked on your door.

Polycell wrote:
Maybe you should read further about the lawsuit. But I don't expect it to change your mind too much: you clearly feel too entitled to play on other peoples' property to understand.

Unless there's something specific in that link to make it relevant for me to read from the perspective of my argument, I'm not going to waste my time. Likewise, you seem too self-entitled to understand that there is a time and place for litigation. And FYI, I don't even play Pokémon Go much, and wouldn't dream of knocking on someone's door to ask to catch Pokémon. The idea that that justifies sueing anyone, however, is ludicrous, along with the idea that knocking on someone's door and asking permission is equal to trespassing.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
I do not see anything in the lawsuit about about trespassing. That may have been added by one of the news sources.

The basis of the lawsuit is that pokestops and gyms were placed on private property without permission. It could be an interesting case because nothing was actually placed on the private property.
It seems that something that exists only in the virtual world is causing problems in the real world. The ruling on this could turn out to be very significant.

On a side note, I finally understand why I have seen so many people walking around looking at their phones, rather than talking on them.
I have never had any experience with augmented reality so I had no clue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vision33r

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
Pretty lazy programming. All they needed to do is make only public identifiable places pokestops and not just scan for any points of interest.
Katamori

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
Pretty lazy programming. All they needed to do is make only public identifiable places pokestops and not just scan for any points of interest.
They don't.As I said pokestops are based off their old game called "Ingress".In that game there were "portals" which are the same thing as pokestops.Most of the were placed where they are by players as that was a thing that could be done in that game.Pokemon Go uses the data from Ingress to spawn pokestops in the same spots portals were located.It doesn't scan much of anything.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Who's writing off "every" anything? I'm writing off this lawsuit as unnecessary litigation, which it is. IDGAF about the tactics, the lawsuit itself is unjust. Once again, you don't get to demand $5 million because someone knocked on your door.

Polycell wrote:

Unless there's something specific in that link to make it relevant for me to read from the perspective of my argument, I'm not going to waste my time. Likewise, you seem too self-entitled to understand that there is a time and place for litigation. And FYI, I don't even play Pokémon Go much, and wouldn't dream of knocking on someone's door to ask to catch Pokémon. The idea that that justifies sueing anyone, however, is ludicrous, along with the idea that knocking on someone's door and asking permission is equal to trespassing.

Sorry but look at how little they have done to fix the issue despite the many complaints on the matter. They didn't start working on an opt out system until after the lawsuit was filled, which I'm sure is what caused them to start. Companies don't care about complaints unless it will cost them money and as people who are not playing are not customers they were not listening.
Katamori

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
jsieczkar wrote:
YamiWheeler wrote:
Polycell wrote:

Polycell wrote:

Sorry but look at how little they have done to fix the issue despite the many complaints on the matter. They didn't start working on an opt out system until after the lawsuit was filled, which I'm sure is what caused them to start. Companies don't care about complaints unless it will cost them money and as people who are not playing are not customers they were not listening.
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/08/04/is-pokemon-go-even-legal According to this guy it is 100% legal for them to put virtual objects on someone's property whether they have permission or not.Plus no the started working on an opt out system when people like the holocaust museum asked them to a week and a half ago.Days before this lawsuit was filed.I bet the lawsuit would be dropped really quick if they turned around and tell him they'll charge him 100% of whatever is won if the legal system fails and gives this guy the win.He's suing over something that could be fixed with a sign and a call to the cops.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:08 am Reply with quote
Most people who don't play Pokemon Go, are never going to know about an Opt out system. They simply do not exist in the same information world as Pokemon Go players.

The solution is not to punish a small company, that has suddenly made a lot of money, but to call the police (like any other home owner) and have them arrested. This is just a blatant money grab, after all you can't squeeze out very much money from irresponsible Pokemon Go players.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4