• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Liking Kids' Stuff Such A Bad Thing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
I don't really care what people are into, as long as it isn't harmful to others. Of course, where I draw the line is if someone is consuming media that's highly suspicious and has no purpose other than to cause harm in others. An example is Inspire magazine. It's written and published by al-Qaeda, and each issue has a few articles detailing how to make weapons out of conventional everyday items or how to cause chaos and death as efficiently as possible. As an English-language magazine, its purpose is to incite domestic lone-wolf terrorism. Anyone who reads this who isn't a criminologist or works for the FBI is someone whom I would not trust (unless they've made clear what they intend to do). This has nothing to do with looking down on people who like things that appeal to children though.

Me, I'd say one becomes mature when they stop caring what media they consume. If someone refuses to watch Yo Gabba Gabba! even when they're by themselves, that's a sign of immaturity to me. (Their loss. Matt Chapman, creator of Homestar Runner and a writer for Gravity Falls, is the general director for the series.)

Also, some of these things aimed at little kids cannot be fully appreciated until you're older. The Sesame Street skit "Grover at the Movies," for example, gains a new level once you've worked in a retail job where your higher-ups demand you always suggest higher-price items at the expense of the customer being right.

mangamuscle wrote:
The thing is, why should we care someone has a so called "odd social deviation"? Has such deviations triggered tragedies where people have lost their lives or source of income? Is there any chart about how said deviations affect the gross GDP of a nation?

Anyone that knows me a little knows I AM said odd social deviant. But I have no criminal record and somehow I am part of this mesh we call society. So why people should care what I see in the idiot box? Oh look, its kiddies stuff, don't make a sound and run for the nearest exist and when you are outside tell the world about what you saw. -_-;

The downsides of having off-the-mainstream tastes, while they're so vague that I don't think there's any reliable studies on it, are something I can imagine. You'll be more likely to find a job if you can show that you are normal, for instance, and more so if the job involves interacting with large amounts of people on a daily basis, such as a receptionist or a telemarketer. If you're going into politics, mudslingers are going to try to find anything negative about you they can, or at least things that could potentially lower the number of people who will vote for you (and inversely, liking popular things can sway people who are on the fence even if it has nothing to do with the position you're seeking), as people vote based on their emotions. Having a lack of things in common with other people you know, like neighbors or co-workers, can socially isolate you (though I'm sure there are plenty for whom that is not a concern). And having socially unacceptable tastes can cause people to not take you as seriously if you intend to lead something.

In other words, I don't mind, but there are people in power who might, as well as society at large.

EricJ2 wrote:
Bronies, OTOH, were mostly high-school and college kids, at an age when finding identity is a big question, who felt....confused that they found a little-girl-marketed show entertaining--And instead of noting that it must have been a good show that did it, started forming a closed insular cult that they were Special Sensitive Snowflakes in seeing something different about the world, and learned to band together against a world that would "persecute" them for following their hearts. One group made the argument about the show, one made it about themselves.

Just like the Sonic fanbase, which is why the two groups hate each other so much. (Though the Sonic fans shot first.)

Also, those groups are still around, unless you mean that they tend to be college kids and graduates now that it's been 4 years since the show began.

myskaros wrote:
The flawed reasoning is simply "if this person were 'normal,' they would be doing 'normal' activities like playing football or going shopping or working out. Since they are watching anime instead of doing something 'normal,' something must be 'wrong' with them." From there, it's really easy for someone without critical thinking skills to say "well, if they're watching Chinese cartoons starring little girls, that probably means they really like little girls, which means my child is in danger!"

In less extreme terms, a lot of it simply has to do with older generations frowning on newer activities they don't understand and making the judgment that they have less value than older activities. If, growing up, football was really important to your family, your school, your town, it can sometimes be hard to let go of that as an adult. That means you might want to keep attending football games, you might enjoy associating with other people who like football, and you might want your kids to play football too. So if your football-playing son is friends with this weird kid who doesn't like football for some unfathomable reason but watches anime, you might decide that anime is a bad influence on your future-Heisman-trophy-winner-and-totally-not-a-future-rapist-cop son (*coughdanielholtzclawcough*), which just leads to a poor impression of anime and a misattribution of "I don't like things that aren't football" into "anime is bad.".

Even less specific than that--adults over a certain age are expected to watch football, not play it (doesn't matter which sport I mean, as they are all like that). The only sports that are acceptable to play for people into their middle ages or older are the ones more focused on precision than physical strength and agility: Golf, bowling, tennis, badminton, skiing (this one is debatable), archery, car racing, and equestrian sports like polo and steeple chase. Chess too, if you consider that a sport. The idea, I'm certain, is that you reach your peak physical fitness at a certain age, and after that, you're supposed to move on to something more fitting of what you're physically able to do.

Where I live, only recently have I begun seeing local soccer leagues and get-togethers for people in their forties and fifties, and I live in the most soccer-loving part of the United States.

I remember going to a Pokémon TCG tournament, by the way, where one of the competitors was a man in his late 70's. He was old enough to be quivering any time he held something, but he was the second-most talked about player in a good way (the most talked-about was William Hung). He was really good too, surviving the elimination rounds to get into the top 16 for the final rounds.

Vaisaga wrote:
I enjoy Blue's Clues myself.

Honestly it's just nice to slip back into a time when things weren't complicated and everything had easy solutions. Being an adult is hard, so escaping back into childhood can keep you sane.

Something I noticed: The more escapist the work, the more associated with geeky fringes it is. The most socially acceptable TV shows are ones set in the real world and are about normal people (even if they behave strangely): Reality television, sitcoms, game shows, procedural dramas, soap operas. The current superhero shows are about extraordinary people living in ordinary worlds. Once Upon a Time is the only mainstream show presently on the air I can think of with fantastic characters in a fantasy realm.

It wasn't until Star Wars that the mainstream accepted stories set in space with futuristic technology aimed at adults (even though A New Hope kind of plays out like a Golden Age comic book). Even Star Trek has traditionally been allegories of social issues at the time transplanted into space-traveling science fiction.

Vaisaga wrote:
As for how other people treat you for it, it's mostly an ego thing. We reassure ourselves that we're healthy and normal by singling out people we consider more "abnormal" than ourselves. "I might like Transformers, but at least I'm not a freak like those bronies!" Sadly when many people act that way towards a certain person, they'll lose confidence in themselves and start thinking it's wrong to like what they like.

Either way, Hasbro wins.

explosionforgov wrote:
What isn't okay is basically trying to take the fandom away from the intended audience. What drove me away from MLP:FiM was basically being introduced to some super-hardcore "bronies" who basically made the show their whole lives, and were particularly obsessed with the NSFW content, even posting it on sites where it really wasn't appropriate. There were also a few people who seriously expected very violent and raunchy fan-content to become canon. I told them, "These characters aren't human, they're underaged, and quite honestly, I don't want to see it," and was told that if I didn't want to see NSFW, then I was missing the point of the whole fandom. So I left, and I still haven't read the comics or watched the show since then. It still leaves kind of a bitter taste in my mouth.

That group is a small but obnoxiously vocal minority who cannot tell canon from non-canon, and I apologize on behalf of them for giving the show itself a bitter taste. They may like the NSFW stuff, but they are the most immature people in the fandom.

(Especially considering the dark fic that started it all, "Cupcakes," was written as a joke.)

Psycho 101 wrote:
To me this issue, and the actual specific topic, comes down to, here in America anyways, the fact that the label is what everyone is judging you by. These novels, or shows, are labeled as for kids. It does not matter what the actual depth of the material is. There are a lot of YA novels I have read that blow many of the currently popular urban fantasy adult novels out of the water in terms of depth. They just don't have the supernatural sex within. To me the same theory applies to anime or "kids shows." There are many with depth of plot that blow a lot of syndicated tv out of the water. Yes there's plenty of bad examples within each medium but you get my point. Yet because they are labeled as "for kids" you're seen as abnormal or immature for purposefully going out to see or enjoy these shows. Assuming you don't have a kid(s) of course as that would be like you're get out of jail free card in this situation. This is all just my own opinion of course but it comes from a lot of personal experiences. As I also said this is from an American POV and Japan is a completely different culture.

It feels to me that Americans (and I mean the entire American supercontinent) are a people desperate to look as mature as possible to other people, out of a fear of looking immature. A sort of overcompensation, you could say. If you're a grown man, you're supposed to do grown man things and like grown man things. If you like things below your age bracket, you are doing something wrong. Middle school boys love works of fiction that are hyperviolent and hypersexual, for instance. And I think that's because they really want to try to look like an adult, at least without the boring stuff like paying bills or daily-grind work.
O-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
You know this article reminds me of how I compared myself to a associate of my friend. Now mind my friend tended to befriend and associate with people of a very "fringy" nature. One was an an elder gentleman in what appeared to be possibly in his mid-late 40's. My friend introduced us because of our similar interests in anime and while I do admit to having a LARGE collection this gentleman seemed to be more like the "Scary closet otaku" type that Japan is known for. While I try not to judge looks the man had a very untidy and homeless-esque appearance (long hair, ruddy clothes, jagged teeth). When talking about his collection he apparently kept many series on VHS and his home had no modern internet and phone. Now while myself and all my friends have a massive amount of memorabilia there was something just very off putting about how this man seemed to be completely "disconnected" from everything else.

At least with my interests I have channeled that into being staff for a local convention, help running a local anime club, and just being active online. While it is the core of entertainment I also like to do other things like workout, take care of myself, conduct my job professionally, and sometimes watch something other than anime.

Even the friend that acquainted me with this individual tends to do a lot of volunteering a promotion for those who have special needs and his primary job is being a vendor to various fandom themed memorabilia.

I think you can be an adult and like things that skew the demographic as long as there is some degree of self control and moderation to said interest. When you become an adult its just a balancing act of priorities.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:45 am Reply with quote
I think this sums things up nicely(slight language): https://i.imgur.com/sCqeVjS.png

I keep my anime fandom to myself, as I have plenty of other socially acceptable interests (video games, Star Wars, Marvel, etc.). I'm pretty much a social outcast as it is, and will actually put in effort to avoid talking to people if possible. I have no plans on dumping my nerd hobbies anytime soon, and I have no problems being a permanent bachelor. Many have claimed that American's have so much more freedom to expression themselves as individuals, but that's really not true. That expression only applies within a limited range that society has set.
Randamo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
I must say that I have never been concerned about whether something I consumed for entertainment was mature or childish.

I enjoy reading a classic novel, going off to watch a robot anime, then go play some harvest moon, the same game I loved over 10 years ago. I think it's having a mixture of interests that is important. If little girl anime, for instance, was the only thing a grown man was interested in, I do think it would be cause for concern. Otherwise I would think they just saw something in it that they liked.

I did think it was funny that the popular girls in my high school openly admitted to watching Play School or a co worker saying he watches Dora the Explorer on Saturday morning after an all night bender. The thing that struck me was they openly admitted it and were more proud of it that anything. The attitude was more like 'why not? It's pretty awesome.'

I reckon embracing the simple, innocent and childish things from time to time is healthy. Adults can be such bores and have such warped viewpoints.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:49 am Reply with quote
^^The last couple comments seem pretty judgmental to me about how adults who like anime should act for them to be acceptable, especially the first. It's people making assumptions like this that make it harder for older anime fans to connect. I mean, the "elderly gentleman in his 40s" (hahahahahahaha) was trying to connect with you and your friend, wasn't he, and it was possibly quite difficult for him if everyone treated him as a creepy dude. So basically I'm hearing that he should make other friends, then he might be acceptable... everyone needs a first step. I feel bad for him. I know how tough it is for older fans because so many of us are treated as pariahs and creepy and weird by younger ones. Your friends sounds like a good person who tries to reach out.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:30 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
However, when we're talking Rick and Morty, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, MLP even, it's a different area. While it's possible that these shows break the fourth wall, they usually cover story in a different way; characters can have different moral values without being evil (in the others, anyone except the villain have the same moral compass), most of the times the lessons are more abstract, hell, sometimes there isn't even only one lesson to learn from or they don't show any particular truth. The kid usually relates to a character because their specific personality, in the other type of show there isn't much to like except for their design or any joke they could make.

I agree with your point, but one of these shows definitely doesn't belong...
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
It is pretty much within the brain of normal society that people should acted and dictate their actions based on their age, children should be childish and adult should be mature, while teenagers should always be rebelious (or kind and healthy as what their parent expected them to be.) Humans are flawed creation, and those that are unsure of themselves are mostly and always followed others no matter if their action deemed reservation to become corrupted or carries around the flag of tranquility, and in this case, calling for specific expectation toward those of a specific age, whether if that person happened to be someone we knew or not held up the notch as high as ever. Of course, it is wrong to think that we can't be and like as what we desire (unless of course, that desire and ambition is dangerous and harmful to others) but this expectation has already been ingrained within society for way too long and there's nothing stopping this sort of thinking, unless we've all started over and there's only a few humans left in the world and then, only shall we reach mutual understanding. Instigation and the act of mocking other's that seemed so different from the pact is something that us human liked to do, and there's nothing changing that except if we all understood and agreed with one another. Of course, that is a wet dream to people that dreamed of world peace because there would always be a shiny acne that wanted to disagree and caused everyone to fought amongst themselves. (but kudos to those that acted differently from the pack and accepted eveyone regardless of everything but the dangerous character.)

As a person of age 22, I still like watching anime and anything that interested me. I like gory and violent stuff like those rebellious teenagers that wanted to make themselves appeared mature, played GTA V a few hours ago and killed huge bunch of cops with the invicible cheat active out of pure fun (though, I also played GTA V because I am in love with how beautiful the game world is), commonly swear but only with people that I knew and rarely do so online, dislike mocking anyone if there's no reason, hated mocking or complaining about any anime or entertainment medium for that matter unless they are designed to be a propaganda piece, liked reading threads and other's opinion but hated hostile reaction, and always acted as childish as ever with those that I am very closed with. Like Sakata Gintoki has said, "The best way to live your life is to become a child". He also have another beautiful quote that said "If you have time to (I don't remember this line, maybe grief), then why not live beautifully until the end?"..
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
Not towards the author but towards people who are like this, "Adults who are bored to tears by endless tournament battles and power-up sequences would be absolutely mystified as to why any grown man or woman would watch Dragon Ball Z or Yū Yū Hakusho."

lol yea like reality TV shows are so much better. Let's watch Kim Kardashian figure out what to dress for the next day
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Not towards the author but towards people who are like this, "Adults who are bored to tears by endless tournament battles and power-up sequences would be absolutely mystified as to why any grown man or woman would watch Dragon Ball Z or Yū Yū Hakusho."

lol yea like reality TV shows are so much better. Let's watch Kim Kardashian figure out what to dress for the next day

I think we all know why some are intrested in what Kim wears or doesn't wear Wink
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
I know it's a bad thing but in this life of mine I can't rid of this bad thing. Oh well.
valoon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
Hero Bank best child anime watch it guys
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
One thing I've noticed is that as time has gone on, more and more MLP fans have rejected the term brony, and bronies have been seen more like an embarrassing faction within the larger community.

I think the problem is that, as others have said, they tried to make their enjoyment of the show all about themselves, and rather than simply saying "Yes, this is a cartoon for girls, and there's nothing wrong with guys enjoying feminine things," they tried to act like MLP was something manly. The show, which actually is pretty great, was intended for all ages and genders to enjoy, but it's written with girls in mind. Bronies should have respected that, rather than try to make it "theirs."
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with liking the things I like even if others may think it odd and yes taste is often subjective. What I have a problem is when people use subjectivity as an excuse to hand wave away bad writing or the concept of something being bad in toto.

Although often I jokingly think you can sum up most debates about Anime or Manga with the phrase "my subjective opinion about this subjective piece of art is objectively right and you are objectively wrong." In short yes like what you want but don't throw all critical faculties to the wayside simply because you like something or found it "fun".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
I think the problem is that, as others have said, they tried to make their enjoyment of the show all about themselves, and rather than simply saying "Yes, this is a cartoon for girls, and there's nothing wrong with guys enjoying feminine things," they tried to act like MLP was something manly. The show, which actually is pretty great, was intended for all ages and genders to enjoy, but it's written with girls in mind. Bronies should have respected that, rather than try to make it "theirs."

Officially, the show was intended for little girls but was written such that a parent can sit around and not have to mentally groan for half an hour. Not that they don't do that anyway, considering that every Pixar movie released gets plenty of parents who do that.

Fandoms often try to make whatever it is they're a fan of theirs and nobody else's, at least until either the popularity of the source material wanes enough for them to have to compromise, or the fandom's average age reaches the point where they collectively realize blocking interested outsiders is a stupid idea. This is how the Star Trek fandom used to be like, until Star Trek has been around for long enough for fans to not be so possessive over the TV shows anymore.

Of course, in the case of the Bronies, I think there is another psychological quirk at play here: They seem to be a pretty lonely group compared to other fandoms, and the show itself, or maybe its characters, become their friends. In a sense, this makes the Bronies something like idol fans in Japan, who become incredibly obsessed and protective of their idols to the point of seeing other interested parties as rivals or even enemies.

Afezeria wrote:
It is pretty much within the brain of normal society that people should acted and dictate their actions based on their age, children should be childish and adult should be mature, while teenagers should always be rebelious (or kind and healthy as what their parent expected them to be.)

They should, and they're expected to be, but they don't reflect reality. Children and teenagers, in a rush to grow up, try to behave like they're older than they actually are. That's why the biggest hits among preteens are about high schoolers (High School Musical, Monster High, Yu-Gi-Oh!) or adults (Dragon Ball Z, Batman, the Call of Duty series). People like PewDiePie and Dashie are popular with children because they are adults who behave like children. Teenagers, meanwhile, gravitate towards stories with ultraviolence, hyperbolic swearing, graphic sex, and protagonists with hedonistic behavior (hence the rise of the anti-hero in the 80's).
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
To me most Disney movies are like Dora the Explorer. Even when I was 6-7 years old I found them terribly boring and insulting to the audience's intellect. I am surprised that there are so many people that like these movies. I am not saying they are "kids" movies or not because actually there is no such thing after the age of 6-7, everything is just "movies" and Disney movies are (mostly) bad movies. They had some good movies though, like Wreck it Ralph which is completely different from any other Disney movie I ever watched. But to me movies like Lion King and Tangled are the same as watching teletubbies.

Shounen and shoujo manga is an a whole another level compared to anything we in the west regards as kids stuff (they are more accurately described as "young adult" graphic literature or since their target audience are not kids but teenagers and, well, now shounen manga is kinda of like Spielberg's movies: something regarded as universal, in Japan shounen manga is read by people from ages 7-70).

@leafy sea dragon, indeed, tennager are actually the demographic group whose tastes are the most distant from the stuff we regard as "children's" stuff like MLP or Disney movies. They like the inverse of it: sex, violence, hedonism, the stuff that's excluded from children's entertainment. Its a reaction of people growing up to feel like they are mature so they watch stuff like Game of Thrones, the definition of teenager entertainment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7