• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saban Listed as Promoting Smile Precure to Licensees as Glitter Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Given the 40 episodes, there's a good chance the broadcaster is Nickelodeon, given their "2 20-episode season" requirement for each Power Rangers series.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Break Xerxes wrote:
I'm guessing this is going to be like the anime dubs that 4kids and Dic did. And 40 episodes? How much are they going to cut? Hopefully we'll get an uncut release that includes the Japanese dub and a new English dub later on like what was done for Sailor moon, even if it takes nearly a decade.

Also I can already see this bombing due to poor marketing and bad time slots. I mean, look at what nickelodeon did to Winx club.

Besides poor marketing and bad time slots, he picked a season that isn't good enough for marketing. The season's main antagonist also gets tanked easily and shows up at the end with a new form. It basically goes like this (Spoilers if anyone ever decides to watch it)

*The 4 Generals use Akanbe (The series MOTW) which causes a "Bad End" to people and collect their sorrow.

*They do that for about 23 episodes because the main antagonist "Pierrot" has a clock counting down to his revival pictured below

*Then the Pretty Cure or "Glitter Force" now tank him easily because standard power-up shtick thus having 20 more episodes for him with another count down just to come back

They basically removed any tension of a final boss and one of his subordinates felt more of a final boss than he did. I don't know if repetition can cause kids to lose interest but it's worth taking into consideration.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Hazinger Zeta wrote:

Also, as someone who's merely a curious onlooker to the PreCure franchise, someone mind predicting what content in Smile could be considered "heretical" by these guys?

It's been awhile since I've seen Smile, but off the top of my head nothing too terrible. It could just be filler episodes that they're omitting (Smile has a lot of those tbh)

There's a really slow and touching episode about Yayoi (the yellow one) remembering her late father. So that's probably gone.

There's also a 2 part episode about them visiting Kyoto, so depending on how they view cultural references that could be condensed to 1 or just cut completely.

The final battle arc is also 4 episodes long so I could see that being chipped away at as well.

Other than that, there's nothing's really offensive at all. Smile Precure is a show that you could give to your average five year old and they'd be fine. Anything they omit was probably just because.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Oops. Yes, that was a typo. I meant second year of middle school, which in Japan means 13-14 years old.

(Sorry, I'm from Europe. The school system here is organized differently than the USAian/Japanese system.)

Quote:
Also, as someone who's merely a curious onlooker to the PreCure franchise, someone mind predicting what content in Smile could be considered "heretical" by these guys?

Probably the more Japanese content, like a New Year's shrine visit, or the school year starting in April and continuing over summer break. That kind of stuff. No idea how Reika's rich/traditional family background will be handled, or Akane's family's okonomiyaki restaurant.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
First, the name. Bad move. Glitter Force is the cheesiest name in the world and tramples the unifying pedigree the name is supposed to hold within the overall series. The idea that young preteen girls cannot comprehend that Precure is a combination of the the words Pretty and Cure is selling the target audience ridiculously short.

Second, the episode total. It's minutely possible they simply made a poor rounding statement. 40 episodes is an odd count for a series to run, so it may have been meant as an approximation to give a framework for how many seasons to look at. But, if they really are cutting down to 40, that's odd but doable. It's odd because with the type of show this is, with the audience they're seemingly targeting, I don't know that there is a real such thing as a "fluff" episode with this series. Are there episodes that don't advance the story or anything like that? Absolutely. The problem is, that's about half the series. They revisit many of the same themes again and again with the same cast of characters. If you're saying there was no other series that fit the bill for they type of series you're looking to license, why burn through it by cutting a full 17% of the series?

Obviously they think this'll all work, so power to them, but it certainly seems to be a strange and counter intuitive way of going about it.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
The title just predicted the localizing disaster this will end up, this may not end well for the anime. I wish it was just licensed as is, subbed, on BD and or DVD.

Last edited by Hoppy800 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Want to know what's gone?

This:

And this:

Basically you can kiss Joker's psychological warfare goodbye.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Want to know what's gone?

This:

And this:

Basically you can kiss Joker's psychological warfare goodbye.

Imagine how many angry moms would react to their daughters being scarred by a psychotic jester. Oh, and you might as well cut the final episodes because half the Earth was blown away by Japanese Pennywise.

Primus

Cursed property:

- 4Kids licenses the show, but drops the series before release after the poor performances of Magical DoReMi and Mew Mew Power.

- Toei releases legal subtitles of the original series that seemingly don't do well enough for them to continue onwards.

- Toei pays for a complete English dub of the first show, but it doesn't do well enough to warrant any more in the markets that pick it up.

- Saban licenses a later series, chops 8 episodes and changes the name (possibly due to the earlier failures?).
Jonny Mendes

Oh America, you never learn...

Please correct me if im mistaken but this is a American show that uses art from Smile Precure! and is not the Smile Precure anime.

So "Glitter Force" it's suppose to be like "Cardcaptors" that was the American edit of the anime Cardcaptor Sakura.

If "Glitter Force" have the same "success" of "Cardcaptors" i can't see a great future for Saban.

Well them i have to wait to some other company to license the real Smile Precure!. It would be a great present for my daughter that loves magical girl animes.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not saying the dub is great or free of problems, but Nelvana dubbed every episode of Cardcaptors. It was the US broadcaster that felt it would be okay to skip a bunch of episodes.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
daichi383 wrote:
40 episodes!? Oh lord, they are editing it down aren't they.

If this is actually happening, boy am i glad they didn't decided to start by ruining Heartcatch Precure.

Glitter Force!? Really!?

Thats the best they could come up with ...

Rolling Eyes

I share the same sentiments. "Glitter Force" is such a tepid and unimaginative title. It's the kind of title you'd skip over when looking at the TV listings, thinking it's some cheap, lame-brain kiddy show with no effort behind it, or something you don't feel like listening to your kids watch. Was something like "Smile, Pretty Cure!", "Pretty Cure: Smile!" or even "Pretty Cure: Smile Squad" that repulsive?

I think with the right push and merchandise marketing, one could establish a good market for the Pretty Cure franchise (not sure about using the "Precure" name out of the gate; perhaps latter down the line once the franchise are fanbase is fully set in). Who knows, maybe Saban may succeed in pulling the wool over enough eyes, but "Glitter Force", particularly (and apparently) under an antiquated heavy localization effort, doesn't seem set for success from the outset, either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
Sadly for the anime fans of this series, they are not the intended audience Saban is looking for. So they will slice and dice the material and dumb it down to fit the American kid audience. And if they ever do DVD's of it, it will probably be the western broadcast version.

Fan subs will probably be your only solace. This article has gotten me interested in it, along with that Love Live review.
SnowMusket

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sadly for the anime fans of this series, they are not the intended audience Saban is looking for. So they will slice and dice the material and dumb it down to fit the American kid audience. And if they ever do DVD's of it, it will probably be the western broadcast version.

Fan subs will probably be your only solace. This article has gotten me interested in it, along with that Love Live review.

Actually, they have started official DVD releases of subbed Super Sentai in the US. Zyuranger is already out and Dairanger is next. So there is a chance of getting Precure DVDs if Glitter Force does well and there is a demand.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I'm not saying the dub is great or free of problems, but Nelvana dubbed every episode of Cardcaptors. It was the US broadcaster that felt it would be okay to skip a bunch of episodes.

Yeah, KidsWB just took a pretty good magical girl show that as intended for young girls and butchered it to go after a young boys audience, complete destroying any sort of plot.
But thanks to NIS America my daughter can see the series in the way it is suppose to be watched.

I can see Saban doing the same crappy edit work and also destroying a pretty good anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10