• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Rage of Bahamut Genesis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I've been pretty much loving this show. Its just been fun. I can't say the same of too many shows lately. However, this episode felt like they were trying to squeeze a lot of stuff in and I don't know but I think I would have liked a little more room for things to breathe, sort of?
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
It must be because I watch my anime on a not so great laptop that I never even noticed the off model stuff. I would need a ultra specific shot to see it. I don't mind the dragon at all, thought it was pretty cool. Can't wait to see what this show pulls off next.

Yeah, unless the off model is really off like an entire eye out of alignment or something, it is hard for me to see if something is off model.

Are there any examples that can be put up to demonstrate the off model shots?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Rose Bridges wrote:

His actions were slow and sluggish, and the whole thing made it hard to take him seriously even when warning Favaro about the bleak future should Bahamut be released again. This big lumbering thing out of a bad kids' feature film from the '90s can't really be issuing such messages of doom!

Just putting this out there but I'm...not even sure where you're seeing any element of the 90s in the eternal observer dragon at all. He's the best part of the whole episode, especially since great dragon designs are so hard to come by these days. He probably would have been more awesome had he been hand-drawn, but I still liked him all the same.

jeffinitelyjeff wrote:
Anyone else getting a Piedmon/Dark Masters vibe from Azazel and the alternate dimension? (group of villains sitting around in a dark place watching the heroes, main dude drinking wine on a throne)

That sort of scene has been around for years though. Villains in comics and novels do it from time to time.
bobob101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:12 pm Reply with quote
The one thing that really puzzles me about this show: why are archangels worshiping Zeus? I mean, archangels come from Abraham religions while Zeus is a polytheistic deity from ancient Greece. I know its not a really big deal, but for me it is an immersion breaker. Can't they just say Yahweh instead or something for the sake of being correct?

Shin Megami Tensei would never make this kind of mistake.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
bobob101 wrote:
The one thing that really puzzles me about this show: why are archangels worshiping Zeus? I mean, archangels come from Abraham religions while Zeus is a polytheistic deity from ancient Greece. I know its not a really big deal, but for me it is an immersion breaker. Can't they just say Yahweh instead or something for the sake of being correct?

Shin Megami Tensei would never make this kind of mistake.

In a series where zombie dragons are a thing, why are you asking this? While watching the series, a line from MST3k popped in my head: "Lucifer is like Satan... from Hell!" so they're obviously picking and choosing. Why Zeus, why not Cthulu? Why not, it's a known main God, that's what counts.

To the review: This is fluff? I thought it was a seriously fun checklist of fantasy list/kitchen sink world creating mish mash of, other people's ideas, yes, but done in a distinctly modern way. Attack on Titan, that's fluff {visceral, meaty fluff though}, Bahamut is a series I'm going to have a hard time letting go. I want more of this world, these people.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Religion as interpreted by anime rarely makes sense. The more messy and silly it is, the less likely it is to offend people, imho, although I doubt they have that in mind when coming up with the religious pastiche for the show.

What bothers me more is using an actual historical figure, but I guess they felt the name recognition was necessary for Jeanne? Or she's specifically used in the card game?

At least it doesn't throw together historical figures from a myriad of countries and time periods without any explanation. That takes me way out of a show.
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that thinks Martinet looks like Marilyn Manson?
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
this episode really hit me emotionally. Yeah, it's nothing new, i guess, but the tragedy around Amira, and Jeanne's choice in this episode really got to me (i was actually on the verge of chanting 'nonononONONONONO!!!!!' while Jeanne was spoiler[about to swallow that elixir]). Just because it's cliche doesn't mean it can't be used well.

I'm really enjoying Bahamut, and i'm glad that it seems to be coming to an actual conclusion of sorts; 6 episodes in, i couldn't fathom how this series could finish the story in 13 episodes. Now it seems well paced, and i'm looking forward to how these plot threads will be closed.
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

I'm really enjoying Bahamut, and i'm glad that it seems to be coming to an actual conclusion of sorts; 6 episodes in, i couldn't fathom how this series could finish the story in 13 episodes. Now it seems well paced, and i'm looking forward to how these plot threads will be closed.

I actually can't see how it'll resolve everything without feeling rushed in just two episodes. Bahamut's awakening has been too hyped to just let things end like that.
My guess is that this is just the first season and Bahamut's awakening will be used as a cliffhanger.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And it's interesting how so many anime view Satan, Beelzebub, Lucifer, et al as being different entities rather than just names for the same entity.

That's not something anime made up, but one that has a lot of precedent in Catholic mythology. Whether they're seen as different names for the same entity, or distinct sub-devils or whatever, varies a lot between the Christians (and Jews and Muslims) who are concerned with this topic.

Agreed this confusion did not start and certainly will not end with anime. For that matter it won't end in the usual American church or Sunday school, where people who consider themselves deeply religious have absolutely no idea how far their scriptures are from what the untranslated originals say.

And this anime isn't even pretending to have anything to do with any real-world Catholicism. They might as well name their demons Bob and Smith and Hank.
Quote:
Also, are she-demons always so scantily-clad?

You have to ask? Seriously -- lol.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather have an overly ambitious, crammed to the top anime than another "This is all we're doing?" half hearted adaptation like Blood Lad or Nisekoi.

Will Bahamet ultimately work, will there be more? I don't know but with how much I enjoyed the previous episodes, the last one could just be a blank screen and I'd still rate it as one of the top shows of the year.
lunaemoth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: If you find the site's reviews so annoying, then either stop reading them or write your own, instead of sitting at your computer and whining about it. -TK]
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the ending and slow clap MAPPA. So many talented people worked on the show and is looks like a ova. You took a concept that should have been a cash grab joke but they succeeded beyond doubts. Overall only a "very good" but that is a crazy accomplishment. Did they actually have no content restrictions and could do whatever they wanted as long as they did not misrepresent the game world ?
The ending was perfect(so an A and had stakes and consequences to the last minute) and Amira was the best female lead of 2014. How awesome is it that she took the charge during the last kiss and Favaro really looked like Lupin´s long lost brother at the end.
While i have no problem and the journey is now finished for our heroes can/will we get some form of new project in the world or by the team. One can dream right ?

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12 Review wrote:
Meanwhile, was Captain Lavalley ever given a real motive for messing everything up, other than "it'll be fun to watch the world come crashing down"?

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

One wonders what they could have done with a budget for another 12 episodes and work on a lot of those loose ends mentioned in the review. And put in a lot more of Arima's adorable antics. That kind of cute doesn't seem to come around that often.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
When Lavalley revealed himself as spoiler[Gilles De Rais] I slapped myself on the forehead and said "Of course! Aargh! How did I not see that?!" because there's an obvious link.

There's Favaro's idea that Bahamut is still out there somewhere, and the end card's "I'll be back!" from both Favaro and Kaisar, to give hope of a sequel, and really I want more of these characters.

A spectacular show and way more better than any show based on some mobile phone game had the right to be. Definitely the surprise hit of the season for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6