• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Frustrating Anime Cliffhangers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cranium

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
With Hikaru no Go there was only a little bit of the manga left and it was finished when the 2004 special was released. Why they couldn't release another hour long New Year special to finish the series?

It was really frustrating for me until I read the manga and found the ending really unsatisfying. I actually prefer the TV series ending to the manga ending now. The problem is that the 2004 special is really excellent but it doesn't feel right to watch it after the TV series anymore.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:
I'd like to add Spiral to the discussion. The entire American advertising was based around the question, "What are the Blade Children?" The anime series never answers this question. Never even comes close.

Indeed. Spiral is a prime example, like you said, part of the validity is the marketing tagline which never even gets addressed. Of course the manga continues onwards and has a rather interesting finale while pretty much tying up all the loose ends of the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow, no Full Metal Panic on the list? The Second Raid ends with some teasers for a continuation, which I assume gets resolved in the original light novels, but is left unanimated. And at this point, I would be extremely surprised if a studio decided to pick it up after these years. It's one thing to do a "reboot" or a "remake"; it's another to pick up where an older series left off years ago. The only example I can think of (that isn't OVAs) is Slayers.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Wait, other people know Tokko?!

It's on my list of series to rewatch - I picked it up on a whim and really enjoyed it though the ending did leave me confused.

I'm glad claymore ended the way it did was it made me pick up the manga and I've never looked back. Yeah, I'm one of though's if the manga is still running in hopping over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I would put JoJo first arc and DBZKai on the list because the endings never fully explain anything.

Nah, just kidding Razz ! Though I love Darker than Black, I agree that it should be on the list, but why S1 since everything was continued in S2. S2 would make more sense because of its rush ending. Nothing ever explained. spoiler[Where did the contractors come from?] or spoiler[who the hell built the wall?]

Speaking of Tokko, anyone got ticked off by GTO's ending? Trinity Blood not on the list, same reason as Kaze no Stigma? And I'm surprised that with all the AoT hype and layouts going on, it wasn't added on the list.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Is there any chance that a second season of Attack On Titan doesn't eventually get made, and it therefore qualifies for this list in a few years? Because where we're left now is thoroughly unsatisfying.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, you know they're not done with AoT, so that's a bit premature. But I have a feeling Hunter x Hunter will be on future lists. This arc is ending just about the time the mangaka is finally gearing up again, but by the time there's enough to do more anime, it'll need a 3rd reboot to continue it. Smile Somehow I don't see that happening. Hopefully I'm just nearsighted.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Cliffhanger endings should be banned. Why start a show if you're not going to resolve anything?

You forgot Air Gear. The manga goes on past the events in episode 25 while the anime just stops abruptly without resolving anything. What the hell?

Tokko's ending was just...rushed. BOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fruits Basket: Give it the Hellsing Ultimate treatment already! Make a new, longer series that follows the manga for once!

Highschool of the Dead: WHY THE HELL DON'T THEY EXPLAIN WHAT CAUSED THE ZOMBIE OUTBREAK? Sweet evil Jesus, is that just too much to ask? I plodded through a half-season's worth of episodes for a cliffhanger? WHY DON'T THEY FINISH IT?

I would also put Inuyasha (Pre-Final Act) on the list. The fact that we had to wait so many years before Final Act gave us a proper ending ruined things even more. By the time it was announced, the fans already moved on. The damage was done.
JLightstar

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I believe people have told me that His and Her Circumstances and Fruits Basket ended early due to the creator and director having different views. When I picked up Kare Kano after where the anime ended, I must admit that I cried hard in the later volumes.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:

Highschool of the Dead: WHY THE HELL DON'T THEY EXPLAIN WHAT CAUSED THE ZOMBIE OUTBREAK? Sweet evil Jesus, is that just too much to ask? I plodded through a half-season's worth of episodes for a cliffhanger? WHY DON'T THEY FINISH IT?

If you mean why didn't they finish the anime, it was for the same reason many anime don't finish; the manga it was based on was incomplete (and in this case, still doesn't have enough for a second season without substantial filler and/or an original ending).

As to why they didn't explain what caused the zombie outbreak, this brings up a problem I see with fans of different media: They expect everything to be explained, even if those "in world" wouldn't be reasonably expected to know the answers.

Dark Absol wrote:

What about Zero no Tsukaima and MM!? We know that the authors has passed away, but even so...

The fourth ZnT had about as proper an ending as one could expect in an anime series.

What were you hoping for?

invalidname wrote:
Is there any chance that a second season of Attack On Titan doesn't eventually get made, and it therefore qualifies for this list in a few years? Because where we're left now is thoroughly unsatisfying.

Not unless they hate money. Manga sales and merchandising aside, have you seen the BD/DVD sales numbers in Japan for the series?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:10 pm Reply with quote
JLightstar wrote:
I believe people have told me that His and Her Circumstances and Fruits Basket ended early due to the creator and director having different views. When I picked up Kare Kano after where the anime ended, I must admit that I cried hard in the later volumes.
Well the view for FRuBa was there just wasn't a manga written for it as the anime caught up to the last published volume rather too quickly so maybe that could have caused a bit of a bother between mangaka and director, but I think that quite possibly there was only an anime commissioned for those first seven volumes from the start anyway as a sales booster for more.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Some more:

One of the oldest one that I'm familiar with is the Tenchi Muyo! OVA 2 ... and then Tenchi Muyo OVA 3 though it did wrap up some of the loose ends of the second.

Record of Lodoss War OVA? How much chuck did Woodchuck chunk...

Moonphase and it's unsolved mysteries, unmet final villain, unresolved vampire/magic status, unfound family members {ok, they're both probably dead as it is vampire related} and the last episode ... thing.

Lost Universe. But this one is a case of the writer getting bored of the franchise and, as I heard, pulled the plug most definitely.

School Rumble. No, wait, that was the manga. {slap} It was the anime.{slap} It was the manga.{slap}

It was both.

Genshiken season not shown. "Unfinished anime is the best!"

And last for now and certainly not least: Yamada's First Time: B Gata H Kei. Three, four more episodes, that's just about what was left of the manga. Hint of what was left out: It's the retitle.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Crowjack wrote:
Here are just a few anime that I wish had a ending, a better ending, or a more flushed out ending. There are alot more but these just immediatley popped up in my head.

1. Code Geass-- Is Lelouch dead or not?Been awhile since I saw it but it seems like I thought a the time he was driving the cart.

2. Magical Warfare-- Needs to be flushed out more.

3. Conquest Plot Zvezda-- Needs to be flushed out more.

4. Shikibane Hime

5. Highschool of The Dead-- Do they survive or what? C'mon get it together and finish this anime while people still care.

6. BTOOOM!-- Do they eventually get off the island?

7. Sankarea-- Wow, just kinda ended at a strange part of the story.

8. Gantz-- Really should continue this. The mangas get much better starting around volumes 8-12. Cool characters start coming in around that time.

I've read that the Code Geass director confirmed Lelouch's death (as did a magazine). Various Geass fans consider the cart driver to be a fake video where Lelouch's face was pasted onto the cart driver.

The problem you have with Code Geass is that like with all the Gundam works, there is no definitive creator. Its an amalgamation of people kinda like Hajime yatate, and whiile some have said he is dead, a few others that were in relatively high positions said its up to the viewer to decide. So what you get is a Blade Runner problem, conflicting statements from people who have about as much say as the other. And that opens the flood gate of who is right and what happened.

I agree with Tokko as one, while nowhere near the impact of some of the others, Tokko not only had no ending, it had no middle. It didn't stop just before it ended, it just stopped in what felt like the beginning of the seires.

Also if we are taking about recent shows, I can't believe no one said Hyouka. The just finish solving another case, and then the series ends. No resolution, no major build up case, no nothing. The series literally feels like we are getting an episode next week, but we don't.

Kamisama Dolls also feels that way.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
@Dark Absol

The anime for Zero no Tsukaima wrapped up nicely in season 4. It was an original ending mind you but at least it finally wrapped it's self up. Speaking of anime left on cliff hangar what about umineko?? I know that wasn't the best anime adaption ever made but still it sucks for fans that it ended with series only half over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
.hack//SIGN completely skips the final battle. They get to it, and then they just skip to the epilogue.

There wasn't a battle as part of SIGN's story. The point of SIGN was spoiler[waking Aura] and spoiler[getting Tsukasa to be able to log out]. SIGN is only the 2nd part of the story, it was never meant to be the conclusion, and the portion of the story that it tells was completed in full, and had no battle in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9