• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Settlers of Canaan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
braves wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has pointed this out.... It was Chris Beveridge who said...
Really? But with Maughan's accent....! I could've sworn...

braves wrote:
Also, P.A. Works was the studio that was in charge of Canaan, not Production I.G.

That may be so, but Production I.G. is in the credits. They have a very distinct city-scape style. I bet they didn't work on the entire series, but they appear to have done part of it. Studios often collaborate.

But so are Studio Deen, AIC, Bee Train, Bones, and about 20 more... It really doesn't mean all that much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
But so are Studio Deen, AIC, Bee Train, Bones, and about 20 more... It really doesn't mean all that much.

I think I've started to recognize IG's style of animating 2D-looking 3D vehicles, and I really love it. That's what I meant.
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote
Must agree nice shelves. I must one day get everything organized, out of boxes, dusted off and properly displayed for Shelf Life viewing pleasure.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
The reason that Canaan (my top ten fave anime) is so good is because of plot.

Sorry to drag up a month old thread, but I finished Canaan this week and I'm just amused by the wildly different impressions of this show here in this thread.

I think the plot is pure nonsense. The characters are fun, and the action is awesome, at times. But this show really is just a bunch of mumble jumble just to get the characters from one set piece to another.

And while I agree with Erin that the show kinda flags at the episode 8-9 mark, I don't see how one can't be impressed by episodes 12-13 on some level. I mean, come on! The whole final action scene takes place on a moving train! With a helicopter buzzing outside and shooting at them! It's well animated and well choreographed, not much cheaping out on the final set piece! So yes, episodes 1-7 are the mandatory episodes, but at least come back for 12-13. I love anime shows directed by people who have had experience directing feature length animated films. They always have a better eye for visual details and a stronger sense of scene staging.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4