• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone bothered by incestuous relationships in some anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berselius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Uwa~ Thank you, Kruszer. That will be an awesome read. Hontou ni Arigatou!
Azathrael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
I just finished my final exam for Asian Mythology and the course had a small inclusion of Shinto.

The reason I bring up a Japanese "religion" (Shinto is more of a belief I think but anyway) is because the Shinto creation myth states that Izanagi and Izanami, two of the first god and goddess, create the earth and the other gods together. I hope you know what I mean by "together". And they're technically brothers and sisters! Later, Amaterasu and Susano-o, two siblings that were created from Izanagi, also mate by eating each other's jewels (symbolic of marriage, really) and create offspring.

So although incest may be a taboo, it's certainly nothing new to the Japanese people to be more open with it than people of other cultures.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:01 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
At university, they made me read some story like the son killed his father, married his mother, had kids with his mother.

They "made you read" Sophocles...? Oh, I'm sure you put up a brave fight, resisting to the very end. Rolling Eyes

Good Lord, child, what were you doing at university in the first place? Sports scholarship? With an attitude like that....

daxomni wrote:
I don't think the son knew what he was doing during most of that and he even killed himself when he found out. Is that the story you're talking about? Wink

No, the mother, Jocasta, killed herself. Oedipus blinded himself, using her brooch pins, and abdicated - setting off yet another round in the cursed history of Thebes' ruling family. If only Cadmus hadn't killed that dragon...

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

They "made you read" Sophocles...? Oh, I'm sure you put up a brave fight, resisting to the very end. Rolling Eyes

Good Lord, child, what were you doing at university in the first place? Sports scholarship? With an attitude like that....

Hay guys, vague, non-descript comments automatically take the most literal stance! Of course, we must be condescending to people who aren't as anal as we are, because we are the Bi-jerkcircle champions!

Oh please.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:37 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
abunai wrote:

Hay guys, vague, non-descript comments automatically take the most literal stance! Of course, we must be condescending to people who aren't as anal as we are, because we are the Bi-jerkcircle champions!

Oh please.

Struck a nerve, did I?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shikatamasu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote
This forum thread has become quite the interesting education, on the anthropological, historical, psychological, physicological, mythical, genetic, and religious records and /or theroies of incest. (Ouch, my brain and I think my spell check is on fire.) And despite the pain in my head, I have learned a few new facts. It really shows that in these current times, as much as most people seem to find the subject abhorrent or offensive, it's been discussed and practiced in different era's and nations; and will continued to be analyzed to the nth degree; because when you get right down to it, its fodder for debate. As, I have mentioned before, if I find an incestual subplot or focus in an Anime, IMO it is not a subject for censor. Sorry if I am repeating myself Embarassed

Oh, and abunai:
"They "made you read" Sophocles...? Oh, I'm sure you put up a brave fight, resisting to the very end. Rolling Eyes "

That made my day.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
shirokiryuu wrote:
here is the answer:

http://www.pbs.org/empires/egypt/life_pharaoh.html

Quote:
Incest was used as a way of keeping the immediate royal family exclusive; the throne was passed to a son and incest would ensure he was of royal blood. (For example, Ramesses II was married to three of his daughters and Hatshepsut was married to her own brother). It was also a way of linking pharaohs with the gods as they were believed to be incestuous. For the rest of Egyptian society, marrying a relative was exceedingly rare (see Akhenaten).

"Keeping it in the family?"

Well, it's creepy sometimes. But it could work sometimes too.

... It depends on how it's played out.

But for the most part, my gut will just gauge. If I feel queezy, that's not a good sign.

I always think of a simple line of prose read by a great man from TV when I see things like that in shows:

"Nothin says lovin' like marrying a cousin . . ."
- Al Bundy, Married with Children Very Happy
Namie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Namie wrote:
Yep, it'll be great if we can open up another thread on this! Very Happy

I was going to, but I have to be careful about stuff like this because I've already been criticized for questioning the views and motives of people who are attracted to some of the more taboo subjects in anime.

Smile Hey, I don’t think you should have qualms about starting a new thread of your own. It’s a forum, after all, and I’m sure taboo or ethical issues are welcomed (as long as they are relevant and related to anime, period) Am I not right about this? Razz

Anyway, I find some of the post replies enlightening and knowledgeable. And I’ve come to realise that incest existed long before our time (read: Adam and Eve’s initial offspring) Nonetheless, incest relationships are discouraged today, mostly due to biological factors and not moral issues etc. As some of you suggested, inbreeding may cause the rise of certain genetic diseases or disorders. It increases the danger of a harmful recessive gene expressing itself, as there is greater risk of a double recessive individuals arising. Variations in human genotypes are essential to subdue the mentioned problem. Therefore, it is best if we could avoid incest relationships altogether... Laughing
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
Namie wrote:
... existed long before our time (read: Adam and Eve’s initial offspring)...

You're from Kansas, aren't you? Wink

- abunai
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
To go back to the original topic for a moment, one thing I've noticed is that you don't see many examples of parent-child incest in average shows. (Hentai, of course, is a different story Embarassed ) For some reason, I think that's a good thing, as it would be more disturbing on certain levels. The sibling incest stories involve some sort of internal struggle and exploration of love in the face of taboos, internal restraints, etc., but all too often, the parent-child thing seems more like a power relation issue, and I'd rather not see that. The closest example I can think of would be in Elfen Lied spoiler[where in episode 6 or so we see Mayu's flashbacks of being abused by her stepfather, but that's not a blood relation. Man, as soon as I read the line, "Mayu-chan, this is your new father," I knew *exactly* where things were headed Sad Crying or Very sad ] Of course, speaking of hentai, it is rather strange that in Bible Black, Minase spoiler[bangs every female in a 5 km radius -except- for his stepsister, and I thought she would definitely figure into a hentai plotline.]
Fui

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Incestuous stuff is highly disturbing in my opinion. It's just wrong. People are born with genetic defects at extremely high rates for a reason from incestuous relationships. I have no idea what would drive people to draw/like this kind of stuff (are people that desperate??). It makes me feel so uncomfortable seeing that. But then again I don't like cosplay or any weird stuff, either. Honestly though I just have to wonder how people can actually like or, even more, PREFER that stuff over normal relationships. I'll never know.
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
I have no idea what would drive people to draw/like this kind of stuff.

I have no idea where it came from either, but I get the feeling it's been gaining in popularity of late.

Fui wrote:
are people that desperate??

Well, we are talking about anime fans. Very Happy

AN's "Ask John" is apparently well on his way to becoming a 40 year old virgin. Then again, does being an adult virgin necessarily imply "desperation"? Maybe it implies the opposite? You'd have to be one calm dude to survive over thirty years without the love of a single woman.

Fui wrote:
It makes me feel so uncomfortable seeing that. But then again I don't like cosplay or any weird stuff, either.

Hold on there a second, chief. Cosplay and incest aren't even in the same ballpark. One is universally rejected by most of society on the grounds that it's both indecent and destructive; the other is universally tolerated and openly practiced by many fans. It's true that most cosplay looks a little odd, but it's not really depraved or deviant in the eyes of most people.*

Fui wrote:
Honestly though I just have to wonder how people can actually like or, even more, PREFER that stuff over normal relationships. I'll never know.

You have to admit that watching it and acting on it isn't quite the same thing. It looks like the jury's still out on what watching this kind of stuff will or won't do to you. I think it probably desensitizes folks if they watch it over a long period of time. Does that also mean that people who watch it will eventually become attracted to it in real life? Will they eventually even consider acting on it? I have no idea, but the possibility is certainly there IMO. Even the Japanese are beginning to question what kind of harm might be done by watching violent and deviant behavior over time.

*There are indeed some cosplay pics that are a bit devient, but most are just comical IMO.
Namie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Fui wrote:
Honestly though I just have to wonder how people can actually like or, even more, PREFER that stuff over normal relationships. I'll never know.

Hmm…maybe it’s their feelings and emotions that drive them to commit such acts…Ever considered the possibility that they might have fallen in love with each other? This may be true in consensual ‘incest’ relationships.

PS : I'm not from Kansas btw Laughing
CyberViper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:00 am Reply with quote
What society in America (and I apologize if you are against it and not from America in advance), and what Japan's society sees could be completely different.

Azathrael wrote:
Shinto creation myth states that Izanagi and Izanami, two of the first god and goddess, create the earth and the other gods together. I hope you know what I mean by "together". And they're technically brothers and sisters! Later, Amaterasu and Susano-o, two siblings that were created from Izanagi, also mate by eating each other's jewels (symbolic of marriage, really) and create offspring.

This is a good example of how incest is viewed differently at different places in the world. We also need to think that it's our
current society that considers it a taboo. Centuries ago it probably wasn't looked down upon as much as it is now.

Then again, unless you want to be a complete conformist and do whatever society says, it really comes down to just a personal opinion. All of our views on the world, what's right and wrong, come basically from what experience through society. However, some is also inborn. (Nature vs Nuture.) But i'm beginning to stray away from the topic.

Zalis116 wrote:
The sibling incest stories involve some sort of internal struggle and exploration of love in the face of taboos, internal restraints, etc

This is very true, and is a good way of creating internal conflict withing a character. It's also probably a lot more interesting, in my opinion, that some character with an internal conflict of "I want to kill people, but I should stop because I know it's wrong." So it can add whole new proportions to an already existing conflict in that characters life.

Take Angel Sanctuary: Setsuna already has his own problems to face, and the fact that he's in love with his sister greatly complicates the matter for him, and really adds a different dimension to the story.

There is also Onegai Twins, which defintely shows the internal struggle of the characters to keep from liking their possible relatives. The same thing applies in Ayashi no Ceres, it's an internal struggle for the character.

Then, of course, there is hentai like Immoral Sisters (I and II) and F3, where the characters treat each other as relatives and speak of them that way, even if they aren't blood related.

What about this? Is this also wrong, or just not to the same degree of inappropriate-ness? Also, if incest is wrong what about Yuri and Yaoi anime and manga (Shoujo and Shounen-Ai). Is this also wrong?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:25 am Reply with quote
Namie wrote:
Fui wrote:

Hmm…maybe it’s their feelings and emotions that drive them to commit such acts…Ever considered the possibility that they might have fallen in love with each other? This may be true in consensual ‘incest’ relationships.

PS : I'm not from Kansas btw Laughing

One recent show not mentioned by CyberViper that deals with this subject is Koi Kaze; check out the trivia page for a good explanation of why things happen the way they do in that show. It has basis in science/reality, and is definitely not contrived for shock value.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5