• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What could have made a series better.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
OT and a little bit necroposting: I've never paid attention to this thread until today. Never imagined that my name was everywhere in a thread I had never participated. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

I was soooo wrong. Thanks for correcting me, the A dual. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
With due apologies for reviving an ancient thread (in forum terms, "old" is more than a month or two, so "ancient" must apply to something that is over two years old), I feel I must nevertheless indulge in a bit of necroposting.

The reason for this is that I have recently, in my readings, come across an exceptionally apt quotation that applies directly to this (perennial) topic, and to the discussion of the Westermarck Effect. Since it also has a uniquely Japanese slant, I felt it appropriate to share it with you.

I was reading the Japanese classic Kokoro (1914) by Natsume Soseki (1867-1916), preeminent novelist of the Meiji era. With a life coinciding almost precisely with the reign of the Meiji emperor, Soseki typifies his era's attributes of modernity overlaid on a substratum of tradition. In Kokoro he tells the story of a young student who strikes up an odd friendship with a scholar with a dark past. In the middle of the book, the student receives a testament of sorts, a manuscript telling of the scholar's life, including his dark secrets.

Part of this narrative within the narrative deals with the scholar's youth, and includes the following passage, which I repeat here because it directly applies to the topic of this thread.

Natsume Soseki, as transl. by Edwin McClellan (1957), wrote:
Once more, my uncle brought up the subject of marriage. His reasons for wanting me to get married were the same as those he gave the previous year. But this time, he had someone in mind for me, which made the matter all the more embarassing. The person that he suggested as a suitable bride was his own daughter, my cousin. "It will be a convenient arrangement for both parties," he said. "Your father, before he died, seemed to be of the same opinion." I could myself see the convenience of such a union; and I could easily believe that my father had been in agreement with my uncle. but the idea of marrying my cousin had never crossed my mind before, and had my uncle not pointed out the advantages of the marriage, they would certainly have never occurred to me. I was therefore surprised; yet I had to admit to myself the reasonableness of my uncle's wishes. Perhaps I am a thoughtless sort of person. At any rate, I believe that the main source of my reluctance to marry my cousin lay in my complete indifference to her. As a child I had frequently gone to play at my uncle's home in town. I remember that I often spent the night there. My cousin and I were therefore childhood friends. You know of course that a brother does not fall in love with his sister. I may be simply repeating what has always been known, but I do believe that for love to grow, there must first be the impact of novelty. Between two people who have always known each other, that necessary stimulus can never be felt. Like the first whiff of burning incense, or like the taste of one's first cup of saké, there is in love that moment when all its power is felt. Theree may be fondness, but not love, between two people who have come to know each other well without ever having grasped the moment. No matter how hard I tried, I could not bring myself to want my cousin for a wife.

As you can plainly see, what Soseki is describing is the Westermarck Effect. Moreover, as cousin-marriages are fairly common in Japan (though less now than previously), for reasons (as in this case) of inheritance conservation, this passage also exemplifies the probably most common objection to the practice, namely lack of attraction due to overfamiliarity.

Addendum: This post is also relevant to similar discussions in this thread.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Anything that ends with a cliff hanger is kind of irritating.. Like in Elfen Lied.. I wasn't able to read the manga so I don't know what happens next.. Also, any anime that ends too soon, like Yakitate!! Japan.. The last episode wasn't that good, in fact, most of the middle episodes were better than the last one.. I sort of feel that it was "hurried".. haste does indeed make waste
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Antimonitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Will probably think of more later, but for now...

Fullmetal Alchemist - spoiler[The revelation about our world being on the other side of the Gate could have been handled better, I thought. For virtually every other major revelation, the series did a great job of dropping hints and clues to allow viewers to piece stuff together. But, I felt at least, that the truth about the Gate and alchemy was just dumped on viewers haphazardly in the last couple of episodes. It think that sort of revelation needed to be built up better, with more hints in the preceding episodes before bringing it in as a concept to end the series. Also, for me, Ed's side-trip to our world during the climax of the series interrupted the 'flow' of the series ending and didn't mesh seamlessly enough. I liked the actual substance of the truth of the Gate, but the execution could have been handled better, IMO.]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:16 am Reply with quote
Ah... *sigh*

That's what I get for necroposting. I foolishly assumed that anyone reading this thread might take the time to read all of it before posting, the way it says to, in the sticky at the top of the forum list.

Instead, we get two users posting in a way that might be relevant to the thread title, and to the first few posts, but which completely ignores the several pages of succeeding discussion. Way to go, guys. Didn't read the thread at all, just posted.

I grant you that the title is "What could have made a series better", but the current of discussion has long since turned from that general topic, to the more specific subtopic of whether incest themes in anime are necessary, and in what way they should be handled.

This happens sometimes with discussions, as they move along -- they become specific and leave generality behind. This is the reason for the rule that you should read the thread before posting. Not just the title, not just the first post. The whole damn thing.

There'd have been nothing wrong with turning the current of discussion back to the general topic, if you'd given any indication that you'd bothered to read the other posts. But you obviously did not. Lazy kids, it's only a few pages long.

- abunai
namelissis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:47 am Reply with quote
I love this thread...
now I can shout out my sentiments about what i want to see in an anime...

First, i hate Open-endings, then they won't make a sequel for it... that drives me nuts... It's better if they can give a concrete end to an anime series

Also, they should avoid making the endings of anime that would give impressions like, "so that's it!!!"... uh, I remember my fave anime has this lapse...

Uhm, another is lessen the fillers but not totally erasing them... for me, fillers are fine when you're in the mood of being laid back in things... But too much fillers tend to bore the viewer since it's going nowhere...

Ahh, I also want anime's to have another season especially if it's short and I know that the anime can grow more if they can have another season... I think Midori no Hibi needs this... 13 eps was so short for a very cute anime... and also, Black cat, ahhh, I'm not satisfied with the ending!

Next, i hate when an anime tends to get too long, like Detective Conan. I used to loved it but now, i lost my interest on it because it's an anime with no point of return... I think sometimes when it get's too long you lose your eagerness to watch it...

Lastly, I think it's nice if anime changes it's OP and ED like that of Gundam Seed... It attracts people to watch... if not change the clips shown in the OP and ED like in Black Cat's OP or Fushigi Yuugi's ED
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Ah... *sigh*

That's what I get for necroposting. I foolishly assumed that anyone reading this thread might take the time to read all of it before posting, the way it says to, in the sticky at the top of the forum list.

Instead, we get two users posting in a way that might be relevant to the thread title, and to the first few posts, but which completely ignores the several pages of succeeding discussion. Way to go, guys. Didn't read the thread at all, just posted.

I grant you that the title is "What could have made a series better", but the current of discussion has long since turned from that general topic, to the more specific subtopic of whether incest themes in anime are necessary, and in what way they should be handled.

This happens sometimes with discussions, as they move along -- they become specific and leave generality behind. This is the reason for the rule that you should read the thread before posting. Not just the title, not just the first post. The whole damn thing.

There'd have been nothing wrong with turning the current of discussion back to the general topic, if you'd given any indication that you'd bothered to read the other posts. But you obviously did not. Lazy kids, it's only a few pages long.

- abunai

And in my opinion, the current topic is FAR more interesting.

As long as the incest does not overtake a story when it shouldn't (i.e. a whole subplot of incestuous romance randomly thrown in in the middle of an otherwise completely normal high school romance drama), an incestuous relationship, especially between cousins, is not exactly something to cry home about outside the US, and thus should probably be either ignored or accepted. It may seem a bit strange to us Americans, but we kind of have to remember that elsewhere in the world cousin marriage can be perfectly tolerable or even quite useful for reasons mentioned by abunai.

The problem begins when the incestuous relationship overtakes something far more important in the plot because of the fact that it is incestuous. I suppose this is where writing quality comes in, but I have seen a few cases where something "taboo" or unusual detracts from the main story. While it may be interesting for a relationship to develop between two cousins or even a brother and sister in the midst of a "quest" towards falling in love with a particular person, once the plot becomes unfocused and lays on the incestuous relationship too much because of the peculiarity of it or the situations it may develop, we lose sight of the original intent of the story, and that's a problem. It's fine if the intent is to have the two cousins marry and be merry (hehe), but if that's not the case, pacing must be kept and the situation must be passed by just like any other unimportant side plot.

Western authors seem to snag on incestuous relationships more than others, perhaps due to the taboo involved, but pacing can be botched anywhere in the world, whether it be due to a strange but unimportant occurrence or whether it be due to far too many "cool" camera pans/switches or far too little Ex-Lax. There's a point when you need to give up the cheese or random tangent and move on, as some just give up on advancement somewhere along the line due to a combination of slow pacing or rush-induced filler.

That being said, rushing is just as bad as going to slow, as has been demonstrated by a few series. I personally think FMP:TSR's ending was slightly rushed for even a slightly extended episode, and a split probably would have made it work better. Rushing also seems to happen as a consequence of poor pacing earlier in the series, as most of the time you need to finish the series in 13 or 26 episodes whether you spent enough time on the main story or not. An excess of, for example, an episodes worth of extra explanation into a particular unimportant incestuous relationship can totally throw off the balance of an entire series, leading to a slightly botched ending. If your time frame is limited, you can't spend too much time on something that isn't important to resolving a main aspect of the plot. It's quite simple. FMP:TSR was somewhat guilty of this too, spending a bit too much time (in my opinion) on some of the fights.

Thus, I suppose anything can be appropriate in any situation (within reason) as long as pacing is kept at a balanced level. Once an imbalance develops in the focus of the series, we end up with a serious problem once we have 1 episode left and 2 and a half episodes of story to explain. In this sense, incest themes do not seem to be a problem as long as they do not completely dominate a story or take too much time when they are not meant to be a major part of a story.

The question still lies: Are they necessary? No, they may not be necessary, but a relationship between two cousins or a brother and sister may add an interesting touch to a story, especially if involved in a well-executed love triangle. However, none of this matters if the writing is not balanced between pacing, believability (context), and description.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:42 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
As you can plainly see, what Soseki is describing is the Westermarck Effect. Moreover, as cousin-marriages are fairly common in Japan (though less now than previously), for reasons (as in this case) of inheritance conservation, this passage also exemplifies the probably most common objection to the practice, namely lack of attraction due to overfamiliarity.

- abunai

They do say familiarity breeds contempt, right?
I admit, I can only think of a handful of anime's I have seen where there is any sort of sibcest or "kissing cousins." Koi Kaze and FMP:TSR were already mentioned...the twins in Fushigi Yugi are very close (closer in my head) however not really very incestual (they did kiss though once for some reason, right? At least, I think they did...sometimes my mind adds scenes however... Embarassed ), seems to be a wee bit more prevelant in hentai however where it's easier to explore taboos. Is there other animes where this comes into play?
(yeah, I am not trying to make this a recomendation request...that would be wrong.... Embarassed )
Amasa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote
Well these old and new discussions of incest in anime are very interesting. I actually relate a bit too well with characters attracted to their cousins, however, I don't think you'd like to hear about my story which couldn't get more taboo (no I'm not Oedipus incarnate). Perhaps abunai should revive this thread instead. Also thanks for directing me to read up on the Westermarck Effect, nice read.

Regarding incest in anime, I like it. If I ever see a taboo subject in any form of media I'm pretty much all too pleased. I'm afraid I can't contribute much because I've never seen Elfen Lied or Mai-Hime but the nearest to incest I've seen in anime is from Hack: Legend of the Twilight where they're half-siblings. Nobody should have a problem with that, unless both siblings have the same eyes Razz (joking). Also from Honey and Clover II spoiler[spoiler[Hagu and Shuu are cousins I believe. Since I think that they're possibly the worst coupled pair in anime history I hardly approve of the relationship, whether they're cousins or not. What bothers me is that Shuu acts as a father figure to Hagu, which I find fairly gross. Hagu's behavior throughout all of H&C is worrying, her dependence on Shuu should be cause for concern among the other characters. A caring and more spiritual relationship like that should never evolve into a sexual relationship, then it becomes worse than incest. I've said this all before in another thread but for this reason H&C 2 is much worse than the first season Razz]]
Humm there's something I wanted to say about RahXephon but now I can't remember.

p.s How cool does that link that comes through the spoiler highlights look! Looks sinister Razz.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
Amasa wrote:
Perhaps abunai should revive this thread instead.

Hmm, well, you'll notice I did make reference to that thread, in my post -- remarking that my post was equally germane to it. One revived ancient thread at a time is more than enough, I think.

- abunai
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I think the air gear series would have been better if it had a more original starting rather then it shonen cliche formula but otherwise its ok!

lets see....maybe if it started withthe guy already knowing how to but decided to join a airteck gang.....or maybe the skates were given to him instead of randomly found...

but whats sad is i cant think of any other way but the formula for it to work. sigh!
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Efan wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
Efan wrote:
This topic is about what YOU think could have made a series better. It can be anything you want; removal of a certain character, change in the plot etc etc.

I think Elfen Lied could have been a much better series if they changed the fact that spoiler[Kouta and Yuka are cousins], maybe if they changed it to they were old childhood friends, it would have made the series alot more heart warming rather than sickening.

I want to hear your thoughts on what would have made any series better.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Hasn't this facet of Elfen Lied been covered before? Where's dormcat when we need him? Wherever he is, I'll provide his words for everyone's benefit here:

Dormcat wrote:
Like what I've said before, Japanese is one of the few developed nations which allow marriage between first cousins (sharing same grandparents), while most developed nations only allow marriage between second cousins (sharing same great grandparents). The ratio of married first cousins is 1.8% among all married couples in Japan; none of developed countries in the report I saw has the ratio higher than 1% (IIRC, less than 0.5%, to be more exact).

Therefore, Kohta + Yuuka = spoiler[not incest, not taboo, not in Japan anyway.] I imagine ADV could have tweaked this in the dub if they really wanted to, but I think those days of shameless censorship are behind us. Besides, there are plenty of more sickening things to be found in Elfen Lied.

*Shocked*
Well, I guess that makes sense considering it's normal (is it?) in Japan, but it still seems a bit strang too me. (But hey, what do I know, I'm just a stupid westerner ^^).

If I'm not mistaken, there's an anime called 'Sakura Mail', which is worse--the girl has her cousin stay over, and makes up a bunch of weird plans to try and have the guy fall in love with her.

Thus, Efan, stay away from it--she appears before him, in one scene, wearing an apron.

And when I say that, I mean 'and nothing else'. Embarassed
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Thus, Efan, stay away from it--she appears before him, in one scene, wearing an apron.

And when I say that, I mean 'and nothing else'. Embarassed

This is actually a common fetish image in Japan, 裸エプロン (hadaka epuron, "naked apron"). I have to admit, it works for me, too.

- abunai
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Antimonitor wrote:
Will probably think of more later, but for now...

Fullmetal Alchemist - spoiler[The revelation about our world being on the other side of the Gate could have been handled better, I thought. For virtually every other major revelation, the series did a great job of dropping hints and clues to allow viewers to piece stuff together. But, I felt at least, that the truth about the Gate and alchemy was just dumped on viewers haphazardly in the last couple of episodes. It think that sort of revelation needed to be built up better, with more hints in the preceding episodes before bringing it in as a concept to end the series. Also, for me, Ed's side-trip to our world during the climax of the series interrupted the 'flow' of the series ending and didn't mesh seamlessly enough. I liked the actual substance of the truth of the Gate, but the execution could have been handled better, IMO.]

For me, the last three episodes of the series seemed really thrown together, especially because of the incredible pacing of the rest of the series. I think my initial reaction when I finished was spoiler["Okay, other side of the gate, who cares, OMG ROY/RIZA!!!! -fangirl squee-"] But I still cried!
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Amasa wrote:
Perhaps abunai should revive this thread instead.

Hmm, well, you'll notice I did make reference to that thread, in my post -- remarking that my post was equally germane to it. One revived ancient thread at a time is more than enough, I think.

- abunai

Thanks for the link, that was a fun thread to read.
It is shocking to me that someone compared how deviant incest was to cosplay though. That made me laugh...
as did your taking someone to task for being forced to read a book Abunai...
that almost made it into the present in the perfect/pointless/poignant quotes page, it made me giddy reading it. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5