• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Starts Countdown For New Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:01 am Reply with quote
Ginsan wrote:
I have one problem with KyoAni recently, their characters look almost the same, the same old design. Even if the story's good, it's kind of sick to look at the same type of design they pulled out. Free! is an exception.

Looks like some people are in incredible need of this image.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Whoa! KyoAni finally doing something that isn't their usual slice-of-life stuff?

Have you watched anything other than Lucky Star and K-On!?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, thanks to all the folks that reported or contributed to the last 35 minutes I just spent shit-sifting through this thread and deleting a personal record 88 posts. From overquoting to trolling to removing traces of quoted trolling, I have to say it was quite the exhilarating little mental exercise.

For those who doubt ANN's ability to keep a Talkback thread civil, I give you the Michael Clayton-esque cleanup job I just pulled as an example of why you should be a little more optimistic.

Tootles!
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Ignatz wrote:
Whoa! KyoAni finally doing something that isn't their usual slice-of-life stuff?

Have you watched anything other than Lucky Star and K-On!?

I'm fairly certain that all of their shows can be classified as slice-of-life (with the exception of the Key ones), but I'm not saying that I have a problem with those shows. For example, I loved Hyouka. However, what I would like to see is KyoAni doing something more ambitious. We all saw those crazy "battle scenes" in Chunibyo, we know that animating something like that is not a problem for them, so why not?

Last edited by Ignatz on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I keep blanking on Nichijou and Hyouka was never streamed here, but I have shelves shelves of KyoAni discs that have a definite overarching plot (Haruhi, Clannad, Air, Kanon...) while the defining element of "slice of life" shows is that they have no real plot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I keep blanking on Nichijou and Hyouka was never streamed here, but I have shelves shelves of KyoAni discs that have a definite overarching plot (Haruhi, Clannad, Air, Kanon...) while the defining element of "slice of life" shows is that they have no real plot.

Nichijou has been on Crunchyroll for quite a while now:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/my-ordinary-life
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane is located in the UK.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Nichijou was streamed here on Anime on Demand (and thus is not currently available to watch) however when thinking about KyoAni titles it is one I consistently forget about.
Annblob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
bs3311 wrote:

I could post something negative on Attack on Titan story, music, or animation wise on a thread related too it and I would probably have a highschool (roughly 3000 in my highschool before I graduated) load of people popping a brain vessel and tossing junk at me.:

Are you suggesting Attack on Titan is actually animated?

Uh oh, here we go.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Well, thanks to all the folks that reported or contributed to the last 35 minutes I just spent shit-sifting through this thread and deleting a personal record 88 posts. From overquoting to trolling to removing traces of quoted trolling, I have to say it was quite the exhilarating little mental exercise.

For those who doubt ANN's ability to keep a Talkback thread civil, I give you the Michael Clayton-esque cleanup job I just pulled as an example of why you should be a little more optimistic.

Tootles!

Haha, I was wondering why this thread shrank like 4 pages since this morning Laughing

Anyways it seems that the main thing people seem weirded out by is the. act that kyoani is making a fantasy show rather than slice of life. Most studios make shows of all sorts, so its not that strange.

I do find it kind of sad that a fantasy series, and one based on a light novel at that, is considered a daring, risky title.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Not FMP Season 3.

Still don't care. Shallow? Yes, but it's accurate.
Jack Rakan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Not FMP Season 3.

No KyoAni thread is complete without this! Thank you Beatdigga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:04 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Not FMP Season 3.

Still don't care. Shallow? Yes, but it's accurate.

Bring it up with Kadokawa, not KyoAni.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bring it up with Kadokawa, not KyoAni.

I always found that weird,why doesn't Kadokawa just do another FMP anime.I mean unlike with Haruhi Suzumiya,there is a lot of new material to promote with new mangas and light novels popping out quite often.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote
Because they don't think it will be profitable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5