• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Metal Gear's Shinkawa Draws Pacific Rim Poster & Japan's Creators Laud Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
PR's still making money, even before opening in Japan on August 9th. It'll probably do really well there, and international markets eat up dumb action movies regardless of criticism or the movies failures in writing and characters, like After Earth or Battleship, so an excellent summer action movie must succeed. It's still nothing on Lone Ranger's bomb.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
PR's still making money, even before opening in Japan on August 9th. It'll probably do really well there, and international markets eat up dumb action movies regardless of criticism or the movies failures in writing and characters, like After Earth or Battleship, so an excellent summer action movie must succeed. It's still nothing on Lone Ranger's bomb.

If you guys are lucky, it might as much money as The Last Airbender did which was also bigger in international territories Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
So it joins the ranks of Snakes on a Plane and Serenity in the "just because it got hyped on the internet doesn't mean anyone actually cares about it, or more specifically, the actual general population" category? Seems to be a reminder not to rely on fickle internet-goers for profit.

Well Snakes on a Plane was more of a failure to distinguish between people talking about something because it's a ridiculous silly joke and people actually wanting to see it. It was a case of Hollywood trying to make shitty, ironic garbage and get people to actually watch it.

Serenity isn't an accurate comparison either. It had a much smaller budget than PR and was obviously looking for a decent amount of its support to come from established fans. It was never intended to be a big mainstream success. It is probably a good example of Hollywood misinterpreting internet hype as you said. Although it has nothing to do with fickle fans. The idea that Firefly fans are fickle is kinda hilarious actually. Those are some of the most alarmingly dedicated people out there. There just aren't as many of them relatively speaking as their...loudness might suggest (especially back in 2005).

PR is entirely different though. It was an original property and it had a massive budget. It was never intended to be just a niche property or be supported largely by some established fanbase or even just by "internet people". (Incidentally, PR has already made seven times what Serenity made and that's without opening in Asia.) It's ultimately more of a case of them green-lighting a movie to be big summer smash that just didn't quite have the mainstream appeal to do so. If anything, it's more a failure to understand why superficially nerdy movies like Transformers or the Avengers works with a mainstream audience these days but more hardcore nerdy stuff still does not.

Although in any case, how you could think that's a bad thing is beyond me. If Hollywood mistakes hype in nerd circles for hype among the general populace and as a result Pacific Rim gets made...then that is [expletive] awesome!

TitanXL wrote:
And Man of Steel is an action movie with people flying around blasting and punching each other, which is also a huge part of anime for a certain audience.

Correct me if I'm wrong here...but I seem to remember a discussion a while ago about western comics where I asserted that superhero comics were basically just shounen action comics...and you argued adamantly that they were totally different.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:50 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
PR is entirely different though. It was an original property and it had a massive budget. It was never intended to be just a niche property or be supported largely by some established fanbase or even just by "internet people".

Fair enough, I just merely commented how it seems to be yet another 'show that gets a lot of talk on the internet then fails to meet the same popularity in the theaters'

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong here...but I seem to remember a discussion a while ago about western comics where I asserted that superhero comics were basically just shounen action comics...and you argued adamantly that they were totally different.

I never said I agreed with his assessment. I found Pacific Rim was no more 'anime-esque' than Transformers was, and I think saying 'it has giant robots fighting' is flimsy comparison material and doesn't factor in more important things like cinematography, choreography, scene and art direction, writing and pacing, and numerous other factors; so if that's true then you might as well say two things with men flying around and fighting are the same with how loose the connection seems to be.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fair enough, I just merely commented how it seems to be yet another 'show that gets a lot of talk on the internet then fails to meet the same popularity in the theaters'

Please continue to ignore walw6pK4Alo's post up there, it's hilarious.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Wiki now reports $178m, so I'm guessing it opened up in some more countries. Japan is still August 9th, and this entire movie is nothing but a tribute to Japanese monster cinema, so I just can't see it bombing there. We have to assume double, or more, the production budget for films like these to be profitable, so I have little fear it'll get to $400m eventually. Not all profitable films get their production budget back in the first weekend, and I think everyone is too quick to jump on films and calling them bombs when they don't. Even After Earth reports some solid numbers now, well after it's been open and in multiple countries, and everyone was huge on how that was a bomb.

Lone Ranger is still a bomb and likely won't rake in them international bucks in enough to make a profit.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

What post, exactly? All (credible i.e not Wikipedia) sources I've seen say it made 68 million so far, which shouldn't exactly be cause for celebration.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

What post, exactly? All (credible i.e not Wikipedia) sources I've seen say it made 68 million so far, which shouldn't exactly be cause for celebration.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pacificrim.htm
Worldwide: $178,582,523

Let me guess, they're not credible either, or international money doesn't count.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh, you're factoring in international sales, that's why. Given how small of a percentage the original people get from international box-office sales, they're not really something you should be relying on, and indeed, no actual company does outside very specific cases. That's why a lot of films which did well internationally are still considered failures; like the aforementioned Last Airbender and Battleship which are both still considered failures despite international 'success'.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
And the goalposts get moved again.

Welcome to the ANN forums folks.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Pacific Rim is trying to be anime in the same way Speed Racer was.

But I'm not sure how you can argue that it isn't a homage to Japanese media.

Yes it is shallow to say "oh just because giant robots means it's anime". But the giant robots in PR are so obviously inspired from Japanese cinema. They aren't mechwarrior like. They have legs they have obvious human like forms. They have ridiculous things such as swords and chest cannons. They fight not at all like military equipment, but they punch things because it's cool. To argue that these robots in this movie are not inspired from Japan is pretty insane. They don't go the over the top super giant robot path, but that would look stupid on film. The movie finds the perfect middle ground.

The monsters follow the same way., not because they are called kuju, but because I mean look at them. Crab monsters, sea monsters, monsters that breath shit. The way they move, the scale. No these monsters were inspired by Japanese movies.

The movie is a love letter to this stuff, but the best kind. The one that dosen't simply repackage, but puts its own spin on it.

The art direction does get very anime. This is not a military steel looking show. The mechs are colorful, the pilots(background) are colorful, the world is bright, the mechs are fanciful. No it's not a 100% invoking a whatever you define anime look. But it is very much taking that inspiration.

There is no lose connection, but we get it. It's western so it sucks.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Animehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

It takes a special kind of stupidity to even argue against this. Del Toro has said this in dozens of interviews.

It has a robot rocket punching a kaiju in it. Rocket punching is not something that happens in western mecha.

Edit: You forgot names, the character names are so crazy they might have been penned by Tomino

Raleigh Beckett, Stacker Pentecost, Mako Mori, Herc Hanson Hannibal Chau. I mean, seriously these names are ridiculous.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget the names of the Jaegers as well. Gipsy Danger, Coyote Tango, Cherno Alpha, Crimson Typhoon...seriously, it's like a PERFECT imitation of Japan's "take two English words and cram 'em together" style of naming.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
And the goalposts get moved again.

That's not moving the goalpost, it's actually correcting where the goalpost is in the first place.

Rahxephon91 wrote:

I never said it wasn't influenced by anime, just that it wasn't much like anime. It's no different than shows like Teen Titans and Avatar the Last Airbender where you can tell what they're trying to do and be like, but no one is actually going to mistake the two. Not once did this movie ever make me think I was watching an anime any more than when I saw an episode of Winx Club, even if I could say "Yeah, that's probably where they got this from"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4