• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Laugh Factory

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Am I the only one here that feels like the ending of panty and stocking needs to be talked about?? I just feel like this where gainax shined the most with it's writing by trolling it's entire audience on CHRISTMAS DAY in 2010. I would discuss it more but it's just apparent no one wants to.

Okay, then: I thought it was a perfect ending. Emotionally fulfilling, completes character development, has a great action setpiece, everything you'd want from an ending. The extra bit immediately following was just brilliant: precisely calculated to be exactly as nonsensical as possible. The timing and style Garterbelt's proclamation after Stocking leaves is excellent. The whole final sequence was just great. I was chuckling on and off for a good couple of hours afterwards. The only downside is that some people thought they were actually going to make a second season despite that the only way it could more clearly be a parody of sequel "hooks" is if they broke the fourth wall or had a "... not!" after the next season message. The other great element is how absolutely it invalidates everything that's come before it. As expected from a parody series.

I think the word "trolling", while not entirely inaccurate, is not fitting. Trolling rarely works so completely as straight-out comedy, and while the result in some cases may have been frustration, that's clearly not the primary intent. Hell, I think the not caring if people fail to get or appreciate the joke is part of the charm.

Anyway, that's my take on the ending.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
The profanity aspect was the same kind of problem I had with FUNi's dub of Deadman Wonderland. It's one thing to use a lot of curse words, but there is a certain rhyme & reason (and moderation) that has to go into it. Both DW and the parts of PaSwG's dub that I've heard don't feel as lazily written as they do feel amateurish and overdone. They sounded more like something some 12 year-old who thinks they are clever would have written. If the writers picked and chose their spots instead of carpet bombing with the profanity, they would have hit their true mark, rather than fall short with cheap shock value.

As for some that dropped PaSwG after the first couple of episodes, I can emphasize with that, as I thought the first four or so episodes were okay and should have been funny, but just weren't. However, the comedic quality picks up right after that and the series turned out to be a pretty good one, overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
but I'm actually glad that Nozomi never produced a dub for this show. Bad English accents have a way of ruining shows and movies set in England—especially when it's a period piece that relies on linguistic differences between classes.
I couldn't agree more. Monica Rial is one of my favourite VA's, but her attempt at a Cockney accent in "Black Butler" made Dick Van Dyck, sound White Chaple born and bred and that was like fingernails across a black board. Anime hyper

Quote:
This isn't to say that there aren't plenty of good voice actors and actresses that couldn't do a splendid job with an Emma dub,
That's right and they all live in Britain. Shame Nodubi are too poor to come over and commission a proper dub. Bad luck for Emma to have been pick up by them.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
This isn't to say that there aren't plenty of good voice actors and actresses that couldn't do a splendid job with an Emma dub,
That's right and they all live in Britain. Shame Nodubi are too poor to come over and commission a proper dub. Bad luck for Emma to have been pick up by them.

You just need to pester Manga Entertainment UK to pick up the region 2 English-language license.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:

You just need to pester Manga Entertainment UK to pick up the region 2 English-language license.
Mate, I've been pissing in their ears since it got first released in Japan. but they aren't the dubbing force they use to be back in the 80's and early 90's either sadly.
staab99

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Man that collection is excellent! Cool

I was never a fan of either Shin Chan or Panty and Stocking, Japanese comedies are hit or miss with me (mostly miss). I did enjoy Emma when it got released. Overall a really good Shelf Life.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I thought the excessive profanity was part of Panty and Stocking's charm, but I can easily see how it can be a negative aspect. I enjoyed the show, but not because of the comedy or the shock value. I just liked the kickass characters and how experimental it was.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
The profanity aspect was the same kind of problem I had with FUNi's dub of Deadman Wonderland. It's one thing to use a lot of curse words, but there is a certain rhyme & reason (and moderation) that has to go into it. Both DW and the parts of PaSwG's dub that I've heard don't feel as lazily written as they do feel amateurish and overdone. They sounded more like something some 12 year-old who thinks they are clever would have written. If the writers picked and chose their spots instead of carpet bombing with the profanity, they would have hit their true mark, rather than fall short with cheap shock value.

Generally I completely agree with this and the premise, but not really in relation to these two shows.

Hmm. Keep in mind I really enjoyed DW's run on Toonami so maybe I'm biased. You mean exactly how DW seemed to be in original Japanese form judging by the fansubs (in addition to Funi's version) and "engrish" cursing by the Japanese actors too? The show was already loaded with that stuff, they didn't really add any in this case (nor does it go overboard like PSG purposefully does, except in one case I mention below), unlike in PSG, which as mentioned seems to be a case where they were specifically requested to do so by the creators in order to match the original intentions.

Also, the only really big instance I recall of large multiple curses being carpet bombed over a short period in Deadman Wonderland was by a certain character with major issues and practically two personalities, and you could tell from her crass facial expressions when she switches between them (particularly during her one fight where you see how messed up she is for the first time) that she wasn't speaking in flowers and rainbows, and as she middle-fingers the screen and stuff.

That's not to say there weren't other parts, but there were also relatively long stretches without them so IMO they didn't really add any on top of what was supposed to be there.

Meh, I think Deadman Wonderland and PSG aren't comparable in this case despite both having cursing. But then again I didn't feel the respective amounts of bad language was inappropriate in either show and in both cases the varying amount to me seemed in line with the original/fansubs. Smile

Count me with those who thought the excessive profanity was part of PSG's charm/uniqueness etc. since it was so fitting with the show and what it was trying to do as well as it's parodying of our "adult" cartoons.

Generally speaking though, I do agree with you on this issue Sam Murai.

SereneChaos wrote:
I thought the excessive profanity was part of Panty and Stocking's charm, but I can easily see how it can be a negative aspect. I enjoyed the show, but not because of the comedy or the shock value. I just liked the kickass characters and how experimental it was.

Same here.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote
I think a big problem with american dubs is instead of having 'shock' value it always ends up being vulgar. I think america on a whole no longer understands what the word "dialect" means.

I remember playing FF7 on PSX and the text was full of cursing and I remember thinking to myself who are these immature fools working at square.

If we look at disney's "cars" or kungfu panda we can see dialog and writing that truly embrace the characters. That is one reason I prefer subtitles. No one is saying you need professional actors, but if you are going to swear, do it with tact, make the swear word 'Pop', that is what brings out color, not rambling on like you need your mouth cleaned out with soap.

When I first saw PSG, she would say **** once and that would catch my attention. The dialog afterwards may still be dirty, but she wasn't just mouthing off.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
But most American dubs do not do this.

I'm not sure why anyone would be expecting tactful use of curses from PSG, it is not even close to a "tact show", so I don't expect them to be particularly so with the cursing, just like the fansubbed versions weren't. The PSG characters always needed their mouths cleaned out with soap, that seemed to be the point. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4