• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trends in hyperviolence in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
errinundra wrote:
I wouldn't describe The Animatrix as hyperviolent. Only Second Renaissance Part 2 would have moments that warrant that but, even then, it's not gross or disturbing.
Program and Matriculated also had hyperviolent parts, but I guess that's only 3 out of the 8 stories so as a whole Animatrix isn't really hyperviolent.
Allow me to ask, since I never saw the whole thing and its been years since I did see some of it, but do the 3 stories have short scenes of violence or do they have extended scenes? Do they have several scenes of violence or only one? Does the quality of violence reach extreme levels? For example, does it meet several of these criteria: bloodshed, carnage (high body count), detailed injury, maiming (including decapitation), murder, torture, death, etc. Would you hesitate to show this anime to friends who might be more sensitive? After all, some of us are probably a bit desensitized to certain levels of anime violence. If the content is high enough even in those 3 stories then it may be enough to label The Animatrix extreme.

Quote:
Adding to the list: Le Portrait de Petite Cossette (2004), Ga-Rei: Zero (2008), Kill Bill Chapter 3: The Origin of O-Ren (2003), and Blade of the Immortal (2008).

Basilisk has a lot of death and violence, but is another 'can't remember if it's violent enough to qualify' series.
I thought of Basilisk too, but could not remember myself if the violence was extreme enough. I will place an * next to it and list the others as well.

dragon695 wrote:
Why are the Berserk movies not listed? They are more hyperviolent than Claymore. Ditto for Mirai Nikki? Sword of the Stranger?
"Where there's a whip there's a way..."

All you need to do is post what you think belongs on the list and I will update it. Also post and point out any that you want to challenge. Oh, and be prepared to support your nominations and challenges. For example, Claymore includes high body counts, bloodshed, maiming, decapitations, torture and death. Does Mirai Nikki measure up?

I feel like we are doing one of the tournaments. This one might be called: The most violent anime of the 21st century.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Allow me to ask, since I never saw the whole thing and its been years since I did see some of it, but do the 3 stories have short scenes of violence or do they have extended scenes? Do they have several scenes of violence or only one? Does the quality of violence reach extreme levels? For example, does it meet several of these criteria: bloodshed, carnage (high body count), detailed injury, maiming (including decapitation), murder, torture, death, etc. Would you hesitate to show this anime to friends who might be more sensitive? After all, some of us are probably a bit desensitized to certain levels of anime violence. If the content is high enough even in those 3 stories then it may be enough to label The Animatrix extreme.

I've got the DVD and I'm happy to watch those segments again tonight. I'll report back. It's late afternoon in Melbourne. My priority at the moment is the test cricket between Australia and South Africa. Wink

**EDIT six and a bit hours later**

Second Renaissance Part 1 - one fellow has his brain exposed but its not particularly gruesome or gratuitous.

Second Renaissance Part 2 - in the battle between the machines and men, there are several deaths that are no doubt horrible but visually they are reasonably discreet. The terror of the victims is highlighted rather than the gore. In neither of the Second Renaissance segments is the violence presented as fanservice and it is justified by the context. I don't believe it is intensely graphic.

Program - Cis slices some simulations of warriors but there's no blood or gore, just numbers and text. Near the end spoiler[she stabs Duo in the neck] but it isn't vey graphic.

Matriculated - spoiler[all but one of the human are slain when the robots attack the base] but the deaths aren't at all gory.

These segments do have violent moments but I think they are milder than Claymore, which Key puts at the lower end of the range. Anyway, it's up to Key to decide as it's his project.

BTW, given comments in the recent ANNcast my theory is that Key will be reviewing Ninja Scroll, but that's only a guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
These segments do have violent moments but I think they are milder than Claymore, which Key puts at the lower end of the range. Anyway, it's up to Key to decide as it's his project.

BTW, given comments in the recent ANNcast my theory is that Key will be reviewing Ninja Scroll, but that's only a guess.
Thanks errinundra, that was great. I will move it from the list and to a section maybe titled "anime considered but not deemed extreme enough at this time". I think the tricky part with older anime is that some might have been considered violent for their time, but in comparison may come off as mild by current standards.

I also suspected that Key may have Ninja Scroll in mind as its coming out next month on BD.

Does anybody have any input on these anime:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000) - Its been so long since I saw this one and the OAV that I don't recall anything at all. I also don't own it so I can't check.

Blood-C: The Last Dark (2012) - The TV series was pretty violent, so it wouldn't surprise me if the movie is too, but I haven't seen it.

Kara no Kyōkai - the Garden of sinners (2007-2009) - 7 different movies spread out over 3 years. I've seen 1 and have held off seeing the rest until I can get a hard copy to watch at home. Does anyone who has seen them all consider them violent enough to be included on the list or are there some that might be considered mild?

Last edited by One-Eye on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000) - Its been so long since I saw this one and the OAV that I don't recall anything at all. I also don't own it so I can't check.

It's been years and years since I saw it and I can't recall large tracts of it, but from what I remember there isn't enough for the movie to really be considered hyperviolent. Lots of action but not much gore. I would say it is no more violent than Claymore, but as my memory ain't too good take it with a grain of salt. I do own it but I can't be bothered re-watching it again; it is 4am right now, after all.

As for Garden of Sinners, there was quite a bit of violence in it. spoiler[A girl killing the guys who rape her by literally twisting their arms off with her mind, a guy getting stabbed in the eye with a key, an arm being destroyed, a thumb being bitten off, girls committing suicide, plenty of dismembered corpses,] stuff like that. I would say there's enough to make the series as a whole violent, but some movies have drastically less violence than others. For example, the epilogue has almost no action of any kind at all, just talk talk talk. Other movies have lots of grisly stuff.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
One-Eye wrote:

It's been years and years since I saw it and I can't recall large tracts of it, but from what I remember there isn't enough for the movie to really be considered hyperviolent. Lots of action but not much gore. I would say it is no more violent than Claymore, but as my memory ain't too good take it with a grain of salt. I do own it but I can't be bothered re-watching it again; it is 4am right now, after all.
Not a problem, I'm sure there are other forum members that may be able to tell us conclusively.

Quote:
As for Garden of Sinners, there was quite a bit of violence in it. spoiler[A girl killing the guys who rape her by literally twisting their arms off with her mind, a guy getting stabbed in the eye with a key, an arm being destroyed, a thumb being bitten off, girls committing suicide, plenty of dismembered corpses,] stuff like that. I would say there's enough to make the series as a whole violent, but some movies have drastically less violence than others. For example, the epilogue has almost no action of any kind at all, just talk talk talk. Other movies have lots of grisly stuff.
The epilogue I'm pretty sure was an OVA that was originally made for the BD. We can probably leave that part off and I will update the list with the individual movies according to year. If anyone has reservation about a specific one out of the seven they can challenge it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
This is an interesting topic. I did an ANN search for series and movies with the objectionable content rating of 'intense', and it turned up:

Nice work, but I think your data set would be more significant if you added a second column, which is total number of anime titles cataloged that year. I think the ratio would reveal a more definite set of trends.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
What percentage of time should be spent on death? That is the question. For example, in Sword of the Stranger, there is certainly a happy end, but it starts off with a small melee, where blood is splattered everywhere, appendages are chopped off, and all sorts of things. There are a few more fights of similar magnitude. Then there is a huge, all out battle near the end where a kid is going to be stripped bare, tied to a huge longevity contraption, and eviscerated as a sacrifice. The battle to save the kid is quite gruesome, if you ask me. Perhaps it doesn't reach the level of hyperviolent, I don't know for sure, but it certainly is quite gory in how it deals with sword fighting (probably beyond what is realistic). However, there are periods of downtime between the fighting that serve to tell a deeper story and sometimes comes off as sweet.

As for Mirai Nikki (Future Diary), well I would say that it is on the same level of violence as Deadman Wonderland. If you have one, you should have the other since in MN is also a contest of crazed psychos trying to kill each other and everyone around them in the worst way possible.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
So that's the reason. Maybe it would be a good idea to look for differences in hyper-violent anime from 80s and recent years. The first thing that comes to my mind is that the recent hyper-violent anime are more often emotionally manipulative and make viewers feel sorry for characters being subject to such a treatment rather than make the whole situation appear cool. So while a new hyper-violent show in which cute girls kill and/or are killed may sell extremely well, it does not indicate that old hyper-violent shows will be warmly received by the contemporary fans.

While I definitely still want to see people continuing the "which titles do or don't qualify" discussion (and I do agree that the lists of hyperviolent titles per year would be more meaningful beside a breakdown of total titles for that year), I do also think Aylinn's point here is worthy of exploration, as it's an angle that I hadn't considered. At least some of the recent hyperviolent fare still goes primarily for the "cool" factor (Hellsing Ultimate immediately comes to mind), but I do agree that there's quite a bit higher degree of emotional manipulation in some of this fare, especially the mixing of moe-style cute with ultra-graphic content. (And would anyone dispute that Elfen Lied started that trend?)

Concerning titles that have been mentioned so far, I'd classify Basilisk in the same category as Claymore for being on the boundary line for qualifying as hyperviolent, as it has some truly gruesome scenes in it and it has some harsh edges that go beyond just blood and gore; for instance, Claymore probably would be a near-miss if it wasn't for the torture scenes.

I have never seen Shiki beyond the first episode, so I'll leave that one to the judgment of others as to whether or not its intense bursts are enough to qualify. If it's got a good amount of it later on beyond just the spoiler[dissection] scene, though, then I'd probably qualify it. A good judging point for American-released titles is whether or not it carries a TV-MA rating for reasons that clearly have little or nothing to do with sexuality.

Oh, and one 2002 OVA that is conspicuously absent here is Ichi The Killer: Episode 0. That's some pretty twisted stuff.

Now here's another interesting question: should something like Fist of the North Star (beginning 1984) qualify for this? I'd say that it could be considered one of the - if not the - prototypical hyperviolent titles. While it backs away from luridly showing the goriest aspects, there's really no getting around its regular depictions of exploding heads and bodies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wcsinn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...Deadman Wonderland suggests that there's still a taste for it in the 2010s even though offerings of this ilk have been very sparse over the last 2-3 years.

Frankly I find the original premise/explanation rather contradictory ... if there have been very few offerings of this ilk over the past 2-3 years how can it be pointing to a resurgence?

I find few of the shows mentioned to fall into what I would consider "hyper-violent". Why the need to magnify attributes, does anime contain violence, absolutely. One of anime's main attractions for me is that is intended for a much broader audience than traditional western cartoons. I am an adult and would prefer that my anime be aimed at adults, whether that means violence (or sex) when appropriate to the story. I don't see where that turns into 'hyper-violence" or even what that means.

Another is one I certainly do NOT believe belongs in this category. Violence is defined by the World Health Organization as the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against a person, or against a group or community, that either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment or deprivation. Most deaths in Another are the results of accidents, some are gruesome, some are not, but by definition they are not violent.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied and Claymore were unique cases in that both made use of gratuitous violence to set the tone for the world depicted.

Claymore is probably the most visceral shōnen series that I can name, but it is also a dark fantasy world that stresses doom and gloom rather than brighter productions such as Naruto and One Piece. The violence serves to enhance the feel of that world.

Elfen Lied is a psychological horror splatter that features more than a few mentally vulnerable and sadistic characters. Their tendency toward suffering or causing such is represented in a very physical manner.

Perhaps I simply haven't watched enough anime, but I find that most of the more violent properties are as such for reasons beyond sadistic fanservice. That being said, I haven't seen many recent ones, unless you can count Another (I don't, really).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:
I find few of the shows mentioned to fall into what I would consider "hyper-violent". Why the need to magnify attributes, does anime contain violence, absolutely. One of anime's main attractions for me is that is intended for a much broader audience than traditional western cartoons. I am an adult and would prefer that my anime be aimed at adults, whether that means violence (or sex) when appropriate to the story. I don't see where that turns into 'hyper-violence" or even what that means.
I maybe misunderstanding, but you seem to be suggesting that all presentations of violence are equal. Furthermore, that all "adults" respond to all forms of violence in the same manner. If this is what you are saying I would respectfully disagree with you. There is a range of graphical presentation of violence and there are varying degrees of tolerance among people. Some may find it difficult to view a fistfight in anime where there is no visible physical injury or blood. On the other hand, some people that may not be bothered by that but recoil from exploding heads and torsos. Still, there are some that may not be fazed by that level of graphic presentation, but cannot stomach acts of torture and sadism, etc. We are trying to identify anime that starts at an extreme level, perhaps moves to the hyper category or even ultra category. We are trying to ask questions about whether there are more violent anime now than in the past. Is this influenced by trends in entertainment, specific shows or the culture in general? Has the content of violent anime changed (one comment says its more emotionally manipulative)? Has the presentation changed (perhaps its more detailed or realistic?)? We may even still be in the process of defining what is extreme or hyper violent? Perhaps you would like to help?

Quote:
Another is one I certainly do NOT believe belongs in this category. Violence is defined by the World Health Organization as the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against a person, or against a group or community, that either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment or deprivation. Most deaths in Another are the results of accidents, some are gruesome, some are not, but by definition they are not violent.
You seem to be limiting the definition of violence to human on human in anime. So you are saying that when a Lion uses "physical force or power" to cause "injury, death, psychological harm" to an anime character and its presented in the most gruesome way possible this is not a presentation of violence? I guess we could say he's just having lunch then? Yes, the Lion snacked on poor Shinji but it wasn't violent. Similarly, in Another a supernatural agent/force is causing some of the gruesome deaths in the story. So you could argue that there is a perpetrator and a victim and some of those victims are suffering "psychological harm". I also seem to recall some people flipping out and trying to kill each other in the show. Now does Another rise to the level of extreme, hyper, or ultra violent in its presentation? Well, that could certainly be open to debate and I will put an asterisk (*) next to it on the list to mark it as being challenged.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Now here's another interesting question: should something like Fist of the North Star (beginning 1984) qualify for this? I'd say that it could be considered one of the - if not the - prototypical hyperviolent titles. While it backs away from luridly showing the goriest aspects, there's really no getting around its regular depictions of exploding heads and bodies.

I'd say that exploding heads and bodies would put Fist of the North Star into the hyperviolent category. I thought it was pretty graphic myself, but maybe I'm confusing the movies with the TV series.
wcsinn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I maybe misunderstanding, but you seem to be suggesting that all presentations of violence are equal. Furthermore, that all "adults" respond to all forms of violence in the same manner.

You not only misunderstand, but you are attempting to put words in my mouth. I said no such thing, I said I don't understand the need for violence to become hyper-violence or ultra violence. Violence is violence, the person getting the crap kicked out them isn't going to differentiate.

One-Eye wrote:
Still, there are some that may not be fazed by that level of graphic presentation, but cannot stomach acts of torture and sadism, etc.

Very true, but what does that have to do with defining or in this case attempting to categorize violence. Violence does not mean or equate to gore. Scenes can be gory and not violent, scenes (or physical acts) can be very violent and result in little to no bloodshed - they are not the same thing.

One-Eye wrote:
We are trying to identify anime that starts at an extreme level, perhaps moves to the hyper category or even ultra category.

Possibly you and Key (maybe one or two others) are - but the thread has degenerated into a list of series people think are violent, and IMHO as the list grows longer the attempt to classify most of them as some sort of hyper/ultra violent not only become unnecessary but in many cases down right silly.

One-Eye wrote:
We are trying to ask questions about whether there are more violent anime now than in the past. Is this influenced by trends in entertainment, specific shows or the culture in general? Has the content of violent anime changed (one comment says its more emotionally manipulative)? Has the presentation changed (perhaps its more detailed or realistic?)? We may even still be in the process of defining what is extreme or hyper violent? Perhaps you would like to help?

Perhaps, but I think you last statement is most important. I have stated the opinon here before that many of the arguments that arise here stem from people refusing to use proper definitions - "well such and such means this to me". It can be moe, ecchi, fan service ... pretty much any term imaginable. But if you can't or won't use a term properly how are people supposed to understand what you are talking about? How can you discuss "hyper violence" amongst 10 people if there are ten definitions of the term?

One-Eye wrote:
... in Another a supernatural agent/force is causing some of the gruesome deaths in the story. So you could argue that there is a perpetrator and a victim and some of those victims are suffering "psychological harm". I also seem to recall some people flipping out and trying to kill each other in the show.

You could, and I will, also argue that most of those deaths are gruesome but not necessarily violent. Again gruesome, bloody, gory and violent are not all the same thing. I will agree that towards the end of the series, when the students begin to turn on one another it becomes violent. So what, it is integral to the story and would not be the same series without it. I don't deny the existence of violence in anime, I don't claim that all acts of violence are the same. What I questioned originally, and will again here, is this need to raise any theme in anime to escalated levels, attempting to amplify it for either good or bad reasons. If we discuss violence in anime, we at least all know what the hell we're talking about. I don't know what hyper violence is and I doubt if any two of us would agree on a definition.

As to the lion analogy, I see your point but I think we are arguing semantics here, My main point is that a car driving off a cliff, a crane smashing into an apartment may result in deaths, possibly even in gory deaths, but those scenes are not necessarily violent.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
I was reading though this and realized that somehow Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan was missed from this list. I think that one certainly qualifies for the list you are making.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
wcsinn wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
I maybe misunderstanding, but you seem to be suggesting that all presentations of violence are equal. Furthermore, that all "adults" respond to all forms of violence in the same manner.

You not only misunderstand, but you are attempting to put words in my mouth.
First off, when some says “I maybe misunderstanding…” its in part an attempt to understand your point of view. “This is what I think you are saying” is where I’m coming from. It’s not an attempt to be sly, so there is no need to get snooty.

Quote:
Violence is violence, the person getting the crap kicked out them isn't going to differentiate.
But to a viewer of entertainment, not a victim in the real world, there is a difference. In part how we define violence in entertainment is based on how we view it.

wcsinn wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
We are trying to identify anime that starts at an extreme level, perhaps moves to the hyper category or even ultra category.

Possibly you and Key (maybe one or two others) are - but the thread has degenerated into a list of series people think are violent, and IMHO as the list grows longer the attempt to classify most of them as some sort of hyper/ultra violent not only become unnecessary but in many cases down right silly.

One-Eye wrote:
We are trying to ask questions...

Perhaps, but I think you last statement is most important. I have stated the opinon here before that many of the arguments that arise here stem from people refusing to use proper definitions - "well such and such means this to me". It can be moe, ecchi, fan service ... pretty much any term imaginable. But if you can't or won't use a term properly how are people supposed to understand what you are talking about? How can you discuss "hyper violence" amongst 10 people if there are ten definitions of the term?
Uh, this is kind of a work in progress, so things are still being developed here. There's still room to shape the questions to ask. I think Key originally was just looking for some ideas and feedback? A few of us are trying to take it a bit further. If you feel the thread has “degenerated” then help us get it back on track. If it bothers you that people are not using definitions correctly or that definitions are not detailed well then by all means contribute one. If you want to suggest some parameters for the topic, go ahead. We can discuss it. I did say suggestions are welcome. If you are trying to say that its all futile, well ok but we still may get something out of the discussion.

Quote:
As to the lion analogy, I see your point but I think we are arguing semantics here, My main point is that a car driving off a cliff, a crane smashing into an apartment may result in deaths, possibly even in gory deaths, but those scenes are not necessarily violent.
Your argument that scenes can be gory and not violent is fine with me. I have no problem with that. Part of the reason I used the Lion analogy was that I was trying to differentiate fantasy violence, which we view as entertainment, and real world violence. The WHO’s definition of violence is created in response to real humans acting on one another. In fantasy violence we can have animals, monsters, aliens, supernatural beings or forces perpetrating violence. If a being/agent’s ability/power is to cause accidents that result in gruesome death and it is driven by purpose (curse has rules doesn’t it?) isn’t that different from a random natural disaster? Its purposeful harm with accidents being used as the vehicle/murder weapon. I’m just throwing that out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5