• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yumi Nakata's Chu-Bra!! Manga Gets Anime Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Personally, I think I'll hold off on this series until a second season is green lit: Chu-bra Kou-bra! about their transition to high school (and maturity!) which also happens to involve transferring to mexico and getting eaten by goats.

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe the topic has just been won.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
It's a panchira comedy.Pantsu otaku only please.

I'm 14 chapters into the manga and so far it's touched on pantsu,yuri,loli,boin and groping.The story is decent.Hayama-chan seems to have a mom complex.Pantsu is the main fetish though.I can't wait to see Hayama-chan get karate chopped in the anime. Laughing

It's going to happen a lot through out the series.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Every piece of information I've seen online, including the ANN news article and the publisher itself, paints Chu-Bra as such.

I don't have such feeling at all. Yeah, I know my brain has been wired differently. Razz

hissatsu01 wrote:
Since you appeared to be the only person in the thread who has read Chu-Bra, I asked. And while you could have taken the time to clarify that, you instead took the time to be as big a jerk as possible.

While I admit that I was being a jerk (my bad), I couldn't see you trying to ask a question with "Is that somehow off?" Combined with your "I tell you" and your three replies to configspace, that "question," followed immediately after "Everything paints it as fan-service heavy fluff," was more like a provocative taunt rather than a sincere inquiry.

hissatsu01 wrote:
The demonization of otaku in the press and popular Japanese culture began with him.

I wouldn't say so. Japanese have a long history of bullying "losers." In a recent chapter of Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei, Itoshiki said "the way to build confidence is to find an inferior individual" (for the record, Kôji Kumeta is very right wing and supports Tokyo mayor Shintaro Ishihara; the latter had publicly expressed his contempt on ijime/bullying victims). Yes, every culture and country has done that, but the problem is particularly prevalent and more severe in Japan, resulting bloody examples like Tsuyama massacre.

hissatsu01 wrote:
If otaku now have such a rosy image in Japan,

I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT. Otaku does NOT have a rosy image, but today they are rarely linked to serial killers. Densha Otoko presented a different image of otaku (Densha was so wimpy that he couldn't even talk to girls, let alone becoming a molester/rapist/murderer) from Tsutomu Miyazaki, yet both are quite negative. The movie and TV series, however, created a false image that 2channelers are very kind and helpful. Me~teru no Kimochi, a story about a hikkikomori and his young stepmother by Hiroya Oku (time to add it...), made fun of this false image.

hissatsu01 wrote:
why does the Japanese media delight in reporting about any possible anime/manga connection any depraved murderer might have? The guy that committed that stabbing spree in Akihabara last year was described as an otaku. I recall two other cases where murderers were described as otaku.

First, blaming hobbies or entertainment for the cause of a criminal act is very common in virtually every country. Second, while I don't know where your source was from, as far as I know the word "otaku" is to be avoided by mainstream Japanese news media, and I don't remember them being described as otaku. Third, like many others, you seem to have confused hikkikomori with otaku.

hissatsu01 wrote:
Ryou Katsuki & Takanori Hoshijima - I did have to look up their names. While I remembered the cases, I did not remember the names. Does that suffice for you?

If you could perform such research skills, why didn't you spend a little more time with the plot and premise of Chu-Bra!!?

hissatsu01 wrote:
Just about any influence the West had on Japan's attitudes on sex would more conservative than Japan's own.

On the issue of intercourse, yes. However, importing romantic movies with kissing scenes was meant to "teach" Japanese to show affections publicly, as well as implementing "free love" to gradually replace arranged marriages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nekusagi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, I should not find the plot of this manga as awesome as I do. Especially considering I'm a straight female who gets creeped out by most ecchi/harem series (I stopped reading Negima after the girls decided to lighten the elevator- spoiler[EVERYONE TAKE OFF YOUR CLOTHES!]- in volume one)

But seriously.
Quote:

She likes this kind of underwear, and she tries to "spread the word on the merits of [these kinds of] underwear" via an underwear club with her schoolmates, who are worried about their bodies' development and which underwear to choose.

It's kinda a unique setup for a manga story, and in a way I find it good that a series tackles actual issues girls have, like insecurity about development.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Personally, I think I'll hold off on this series until a second season is green lit: Chu-bra Kou-bra! about their transition to high school (and maturity!) which also happens to involve transferring to mexico and getting eaten by goats.

Have to admit, despite the creepy manga adaptation that now will have a creepy anime version, that cracked me up.

All I will say is that I am slightly surprized shows like this sell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4