• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gigazine & J-Cast: 2009 Haruhi Will Be 28 Episodes Long

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:29 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't blame fans for being pissed off. This whole ordeal is similar to the Mother Three frustration. Except Nintendo was straightforward in telling people that there isn't any work being done to license this game into US.

In this instance, fans have been waiting three years. Kyoani really dropped the ball on this one. They can't talk their self out this one and I don't blame fans for being angry with them. I've even heard of fans burning Haruhi books and dvd's.

I am not a fan but I will say this, I hope Kyoani makes up their mind. Because at least Nintendo told the truth when they said they weren't working on Mother Three. The company should do the same if they aren't working on a new season.

It's been seventeen years since Earthbound came out to America. I hope the fans don't have to wait a couple more years for Kyoani to make up their mind. Because three years is long enough as it is.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love blaming Kyoani for a lot of the string of moe blob shows taking over the industry this is more Kadokawa's fault then anyone's. If I was the autor of the light novels though I wouldn't be happy. Then again it's been almost as long since the last time there was a novel release so maybe he doesn't care either.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote
heh, if they do chrono order, we'll know in a few weeks, won't we? otherwise? smoked cheese.

editorially speaking, I think these guys have really worn out the whole mysterique marketing idea. People love a mystery but want a solid payoff. It is, no doubt, less important to them what we in the US think, but I'd imagine that their Japanese fans have also 'had enough' JMO.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Well I think what is happening to TMOHS is the same thing that happened to Kanon 2002. Which is that they came out with a Kanon 2006 and Kanon 2006 was almost twice the size of Kanon 2002. So this could become The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya 2006 and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya 2009, you never know. Also, the reason the 2006 version of TMOHS is so short is because they were making Kanon 2006 and decided to cut TMOHS short and focus on Kanon 2006.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:48 pm Reply with quote
However, I do think that 28 episode for the first season sounds reasonable because of how much time they took between the 2006 and 2009 releases. Also, you have to consider the fact that the last novel never came out and it's way past it's release date.
Here is what I think, this 2009 release is going to be 28 episodes and the second season will finish off the whole series. When I say finish off the series I mean that the second season (however long it maybe) will finish what the novels started and have the content that the last novel was suppose to have. It will be like releasing the last novel only in anime. lol Razz
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Well I think what is happening to TMOHS is the same thing that happened to Kanon 2002. Which is that they came out with a Kanon 2006 and Kanon 2006 was almost twice the size of Kanon 2002.
Kanon 2002 and Kanon 2006 were made by different companies. Both had their own idea on how to adapt and pace the series. Kyoani felt like making a more true to the novel version than the Toei version.

Quote:
Also, the reason the 2006 version of TMOHS is so short is because they were making Kanon 2006 and decided to cut TMOHS short and focus on Kanon 2006.
Untrue. Haruhi was always a 1 cour series and wasn't cut short. Nobody had foreseen it becoming the huge internet hit that it did. They thought it would do better than average in Japan but they never expected the reception that it actually got.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, but I was just suggesting the idea that TMOHS was going to be like Kanon and said that this could trun out to be that. Also, I hear something about the last light novel never being finished because that was around the time Haruhi made it big and the author of the light novel was needed to help with the upcoming anime, which I think we have here.
Also, I haven't seen the new re-aired episode but if someone that did, you can then tell me if there is any significant or notable change to the artwork or the plot, as in a scene that is in this new episode that isn't in the second episode (non- chronological order) of the old 2006 release..... basically what I'm asking is, are both the old and the new episodes identically or is it notable that there was something don't to this new re-air...... I mean they better not have been sitting on there asses and not doing anything for these past 3 years. If that was the case I would be seriously pissed.
cnet128

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I think if what has been shown so far was any different from what we've seen before, we would have heard about it already. That's the point: this is supposedly just a straight re-airing of the exact same series, which is why there being 28 episodes is such interesting news - it's the only indication we've had that there might be something new about this airing.

As for the light novels... as a reader of them myself, to be honest, I'm more impatient for the tenth novel than I am for the second anime series, especially since we have, if anything, even less indication of when that's going to actually appear. (And Tanigawa really left us hanging at the end of Bunretsu, dammit ><)
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
A) Hooray, new episodes! Very Happy
B) But they're mixing them in with the old episodes?

At least they're being consistent with their wonky scheduling...

This, to all you bums who suggest they're just going to re-air the same original 14 in chronological order after the first 14. The rep already said there will be NEW material, even if the newer episodes are mixed-in with the older ones. Is is Season 2? Maybe not, but it's new Haruhi, non-chibi-ized, and that's all that matters! Very Happy
isaacphantom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Ok so first of Im absolutely happy that we got a confirmed S2 at this point. Still a tiny bit synical but that natural after what happened to all of us. So overall im very satisfied we are getting a season 2.

however....the sad truth is everyone has been begging for a season 2 and you would think everyone would be satisfied but theres just more questions now.

Possible Season 3 (LOL NOT)?

and

How's a good way to end it? And yes I've read the books and everything but how do you guys think they should end the series with a good ending episode.

I thought Someday in the Rain was a great ending for some reason.
(chrono order) Some prefered The Melacholy as a good ending
(on where Kyon kisses Haruhi finally Anime smallmouth) but i thought Someday in the Rain was a very calming and satisfying , fitting end to the season.

But my new question is how SHOULD they end this one?
14 new episodes. So if chronological then the last Dissapearance. But for some reason i think that might just leave everyone waiting for a season 3. (WHICH IS NOT HAPPENING)

so how should this season end? Whats the best possible end to leave the fans satisfied completely?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I thought someday in the rain was a good way to end the season too but only the season, not the series..
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
In this instance, fans have been waiting three years. Kyoani really dropped the ball on this one. They can't talk their self out this one and I don't blame fans for being angry with them. I've even heard of fans burning Haruhi books and dvd's.

I want new Haruhi as much as the next man, and sooner is certainly preferable to later... but really? Burning their books and DVDs because they have to wait a little while? I have trouble believing that. And frankly, the Full Metal Panic fandom has more cause for complaint; it's been longer for them. Three years is not an unbearable length of time to wait.

Rinkwolf wrote:
I mean they better not have been sitting on there asses and not doing anything for these past 3 years. If that was the case I would be seriously pissed.

Well of course they haven't been sitting on their arses doing nothing for three years... between Haruhi's initial run finishing and now, they've done the Kanon re-make, Lucky Star, Clannad, Clannad After Story and currently K-ON. Possibly more, that's all off the top of my head.
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:17 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
A) Hooray, new episodes! Very Happy
B) But they're mixing them in with the old episodes?

At least they're being consistent with their wonky scheduling...

This, to all you bums who suggest they're just going to re-air the same original 14 in chronological order after the first 14. The rep already said there will be NEW material, even if the newer episodes are mixed-in with the older ones. Is is Season 2? Maybe not, but it's new Haruhi, non-chibi-ized, and that's all that matters! Very Happy
New material doesn't necessarily mean new episodes, much less a new season <.< Besides, this could all be a misunderstanding. The two sources in the article both go different answers from the broadcasting company after all. whose to say that broadcasting rep that spoke to J-cast wasn't misinformed? I honestly wouldn't hold my breath until kyonai or Kadokawa actually comes out and says it clearly.

Rinkwolf wrote:
Well I think what is happening to TMOHS is the same thing that happened to Kanon 2002. Which is that they came out with a Kanon 2006 and Kanon 2006 was almost twice the size of Kanon 2002. So this could become The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya 2006 and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamiya 2009, you never know. Also, the reason the 2006 version of TMOHS is so short is because they were making Kanon 2006 and decided to cut TMOHS short and focus on Kanon 2006.

The reason the first season of Haruhi was short was because that's all they had planned. They had no idea that it would actually become as popular as it did <.<
Powalen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
(Assuming these new 14 episodes are the second season)

They'll probably end it with either an anime-only episode or the last installment of Disappearance, like they did with the first season.
I liked Someday in the Rain (except for the long silences o_o), but I prefer the last episode of Melancholy as the final episode.

Depending on the order they air in, it could go either way. (Especially since an anime-only episode can fit anywhere on the timescale...)
isaacphantom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:54 am Reply with quote
Sakagami you also forgot that kyoani is currently or finishing haruhi-chan too. oh and tsuruya-san's series but that ones forgetable.............."nyoron". Anime hyper. jk tsuruya-chans awesome and desearves more smoked cheese for all the crap she's been through. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6