• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Director Says She Has Not Heard of Anime Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
If they haven't made a Harry Potter anime yet, i doubt this will ever happen.

What, you've never heard of Negima?!
Wink Couldn't resist.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Wink Couldn't resist.

LOL Laughing

*breathes huge sigh of relief*
THANK GOODNESS. We're safe. For now...
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
If they're going to make a fuggin' Twilight anime, make it a Golgo 13 crossover. Just have gool ol' Duke Togo/Golgo 13 kill all the sparkly vampires (PROTIP: Vampires do NOT sparkle!) with his M-16, then have him do some snoo-snoo with Mary Sue a.k.a. Bella, only to kill her off later. GOODNIGHT, IRENE!

Nononono.....we need either Alcurd or D to take care of the mess.

Maybe Alucard or D could take Edward a.k.a. Gary Stu, but NOBODY fucks with Golgo 13! Not even Chuck Norris! If he can shoot a guy while AIMING THROUGH A MOTHERFUCKING SKYSCRAPER or kill someone WHILE FREAKIN' WATCHING THEM ON TV, he can take out Edward no problem. Not even his granite body and radical good speed can withstand the G-Man's M-16, his S&W .38, or even A GRENADE IN THE MOUTH. (Shit, he could even take a guy out all the way from ANOTHER CONTINENT, given the right gun.)

Bye-bye, sparkly Gary Stu vampire. We hardly knew ye, for you were killed by the total awesomeness that is Golgo 13.
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'd much rather prefer a Harry Potter anime than a Twilight one
No_Life_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness. I thought that it seemed a bit much to do that. Hopefully it just stays hypothetical.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Wink Couldn't resist.

That might be funny if that joke wasn't old 5 years ago and if Negima was actually anything like HP. They both feature a ten-year old orphaned magic-user from the UK, but beyond that, they aren't really that similar.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:50 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
It's not about the sparking. Twilight sends a terrible message to girls and it's scary to see them embracing this message "I want a man just like edward, he's so caring and protective (read: emotionally abusive, jealous and possessive) it's even worse when you look at the statistics of abusive relationships involving teenage girls. These are girls I know who talk like this too and there is nothing I can say or do to get it through their heads that that sort of thing is unhealthy.

That's message has been around FOR YEARS, even before Twilight. I found it funny that people give Twilight all the blame for it.

It's really weak reasoning.
foxia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
foxia wrote:
Then again I'll be glad if one is never produced because I hate twilight with a passion. I hate it so much I burned the books and the DVD infront of a bunch of twilight fangirls to show my hatred for it.

I...I think I love you. ._. The only thing having stopped me from doing the same thing was knowing Meyer'd have gotten the cash from the purchase anyway...

These were used copy's I picked up on Amazon. So I never gave a single penny to Meyers.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
foxia wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:
foxia wrote:
Then again I'll be glad if one is never produced because I hate twilight with a passion. I hate it so much I burned the books and the DVD infront of a bunch of twilight fangirls to show my hatred for it.

I...I think I love you. ._. The only thing having stopped me from doing the same thing was knowing Meyer'd have gotten the cash from the purchase anyway...

These were used copy's I picked up on Amazon. So I never gave a single penny to Meyers.

Not directly anyways. The seller could've used the money to buy other Twilight merchandise.

The fangirls don't really care how badass, evil, or geniunely vampirical their bishounen is. What they care most is how dreamy. Like the effect of boy bands and girl bands. Laughing
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
It's not about the sparking. Twilight sends a terrible message to girls and it's scary to see them embracing this message "I want a man just like edward, he's so caring and protective (read: emotionally abusive, jealous and possessive) it's even worse when you look at the statistics of abusive relationships involving teenage girls. These are girls I know who talk like this too and there is nothing I can say or do to get it through their heads that that sort of thing is unhealthy.

That's message has been around FOR YEARS, even before Twilight. I found it funny that people give Twilight all the blame for it.

It's really weak reasoning.

But was there really any reason to re enforce it with this book that all these girls are reading?
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm breathing a big sigh of relief, we are spared an invasion of the Twitard fangirls into the anime fandom, they would just make the anime fandom scarier.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
I remember how I laughed my head off when I heard the term "Sparkly Vampires" for the first time and I was like "but don't vampires burn to a crisp in the sun?". For some reason, the Twilight fangirls kind of remind me of the Inuyasha fangirls the way they overtly obsess over a supposed 'hottie' like Edward and the ideal girl in love such as Bella.

At least Harry Potter was witty and imaginative and will be positively rememberd for years by children and adults alike. While as Twilight will be remembered as escapism for young girls, and I don't think it will be as popular once a better romance series comes along. Besides, why would the Japanese want an anime version for Twilight when they have Vampire Knight which has twice the number of hot vampires to obsess over?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
That might be funny if that joke wasn't old 5 years ago and if Negima was actually anything like HP. They both feature a ten-year old orphaned magic-user from the UK, but beyond that, they aren't really that similar.

I'm sure many a fanboy would love to see Hermione panty shots. Or Harry using the sneeze attack in humorous ways.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I'm sure many a fanboy would love to see Hermione panty shots. Or Harry using the sneeze attack in humorous ways.

I'm pretty sure you can find the first one online. In anime style. Also, nekkid.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Bella is annoying. Edward is creepy. Twilight is stupid. Good news this isn’t becoming an anime. Both of them sound like idiots.

And about some comment a couple pages back that went a little like “Well who cares if the vampires sparkle? That’s no reason to want to kill a fictional character. And who cares that Bella’s a ‘Mary Sue’ or whatever?” The fact that you brushed off a character’s being a MARY SUE? I don’t think you realize what Mary Sue IS.

(It’d be as anime as Afro Samurai or Boondocks. )

Except The Boondocks is actually a good show.

(While yes that is technically true, vampire myths are multicultural and different (although there is a universal drinking of blood/life force involved that is pretty much where it ends) So an easy explanation for “shining” vampires could easily come from Egyptian mythology of Set, Ra, and Osiris. Or could be an activation of some supernatural effect, although yes that would imply some sort of “terrifying” involved, as I suggested early it could have been sun protection or a lure of some sort.)

Objection. Stephanie Meyer outright said that she did zero research. Something about not wanting to taint her imagination.

Because, you know, reading books doesn’t give you inspiration and new ideas. What we write isn’t subconsciously based around what we know at all. And definitely, knowing very little will give you a large imagination, because you have oh so much to draw from. Knowing what you liked about other vampire series so you can take those things and implement them to make an even better series is not a necessity. Not at all.

(And I’m not one of the anti-Twilight fans who want to kill Edward and Bella–I want to make Meyer unable to write (a huge writer’s block now, thank you). It’s not the characters’ fault they’re such pieces of crap–it’s Meyer’s fault for writing them the way they are.)

Thank you.

(I...I think I love you. ._. The only thing having stopped me from doing the same thing was knowing Meyer’d have gotten the cash from the purchase anyway...)

Buy it second-hand.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5