• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Bamboo Blade, Druaga, Dragonaut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Why the hell do they have all the Gonzo x BOST titles except for Strike Witches?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Because that show won't draw a dime in US. No need to waste big bucks on a title that won't see big returns.

Maybe from an ANN perspective it doesn't seem popular, but Strike Witches has lots of English-speaking fans.

The AnimeOnDVD forum's official thread for Strike Witches is 29 pages long. The thread for Dragonaut is 7 pages long...and most of them are of the "ugh this sucks!" variety. The users of this forum represent the R1 region's heaviest DVD-buying population. There's all sorts of other data we could look at, too. After the broadcast of SW ended, it's Google search numbers leveled off about half they were during airing. After Dragonaut finished it's airing, the Google search numbers plummeted to near zero...watched and forgotten, compared to the far more robust fan community of SW. I'm looking at the graphs right now, it's quite dramatic.

Strike Witches would sell at least twenty times as many DVD's as Dragonaut: the Resonance, easily.

zanarkand princess wrote:
Quote:
No Strike Witches Crying or Very sad ? First emoticon I've used on these forums to the best of my knowledge. Yes, I am sad. I liked Strike Witches(dang proud of it, too) and would buy it in a heart beat...and if the Japanese extras were included I would probably buy my first ever limited edition(s)/artbox(es).

Only way that's getting licensed is if they're helping the government find pedophiles and they arrest everyone who buys a copy.

Being a pedophile is *not* a crime. The sexual abuse of children is a crime.

Last edited by einhorn303 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdhd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! I am on board with Bamboo Blade, Druaga, and Blassreiter.
Don't know much about Dragonaut... not interested in it.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
No one is doubting that it would sell well it's just more of a content issue. It really wouldn't be a good decision. If no one would sell Kodomo no Jikan what are the odds of someone selling Strike Witches?

No I don't think everyone who likes it wants to hurt little girls but how would it really look to someone? If someone outside of the usual anime industry circle and fans got wind of it how would it look? On Funimation and the fandom.

Also they should only print 5 copies of dragonaut.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
YES! Anime hyper Someone finally picked up Druaga. Awesome.

Finally? It's not even done airing yet (considering the cliff-hanger ending of the first season, it shouldn't really be counted as a stand-alone show).

Good on Bamboo Blade and Druaga. BB may not be great, but it is refreshing. It manages to take all the usual cliches and use them, but not quite in the way you expect. Druaga may not be hilarious throughout, but I'd say it's probably the 2nd best thing I can remember Gonzo putting out in the past few years (first obviously being Seto no Hanayome).
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
No one is doubting that it would sell well it's just more of a content issue. It really wouldn't be a good decision. If no one would sell Kodomo no Jikan what are the odds of someone selling Strike Witches?

No I don't think everyone who likes it wants to hurt little girls but how would it really look to someone? If someone outside of the usual anime industry circle and fans got wind of it how would it look? On Funimation and the fandom.

It doesn't have any worse content than Pani Poni Dash.

http://meganeko.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/4531894240884_2.jpg

Or Moonphase, or The Familiar of Zero, or tons of other licensed anime.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Pani Poni Dash does not sexualize the main charcater the same way Strike Witches does and most body pillows are creepy. It's about the show not the merchandise
Navak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Pani Poni Dash does not sexualize the main charcater the same way Strike Witches does and most body pillows are creepy. It's about the show not the merchandise

So, did you watch both shows or are you just going off other content?

Also, I'm not sure how Kodomo no Jikan, which as far as I can tell is about kids going to elementary school and trying to get their teachers and what not...is in the same ballpark as strike witches.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for Ef A Tale of Memories and Ef A Tale of Melodies series to be licensed. None of those titles interest me beside Druaga....
kadian1364

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
It doesn't have any worse content than Pani Poni Dash.

http://meganeko.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/4531894240884_2.jpg

Or Moonphase, or The Familiar of Zero, or tons of other licensed anime.

Shady merchandise sold in the dark corners of the interwebs does not make a show. I don't recall an episode of PPD where all the characters lose their panties and go around stealing each others' to wear.

Somehow, I think there are certain lines even American entertainment distribution companies won't cross. Or let me put it another way: Strike Witches would be much more trouble than it's worth.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I watched Strike Witches before I knew it was so lolliconish (like half of the first episode) because I though the premise was kind of cool and I actually like Pani Poni Dash.

Also Kodomo No Jikan did not get distributed in the US because no one would carry it. No one would Carry it because of the Main character a third grader trying to seduce her teacher. Honestly the anime wasn't that bad but the story is kinda Shocked
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
bamboo blade ftw...might buy that when i win the lottry
braves

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm midly interested in Bamboo Blade and Druaga, but I'll wait until FUNi puts up some episodes on their website before deciding whether or not to purchase them.

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to watching an episode of Dragonaut on FUNi's site just to see what everybody thinks is so horrible. Laughing

Last edited by braves on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:04 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I'm midly interested in Bamboo Blade and Druaga, but I'll wait until FUNi puts up a preview on their website before deciding whether or not to purchase them.

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to watching a preview of Dragonaut on FUNi's site just to see what everybody thinks is so horrible. Laughing

Not sure if the preview will do it's horrors justice. If I was Funi I wouldn't even put up a preview and I would count on people who buy blindly. They would probably make more money that way.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo blade! Vic Mignogna got to go to Japan and watch them do a recording session of that! Coool! I gotta see this one. I don't know much about it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
yeah i guess this was pretty inevitable with the whole crunchyroll deal. it was just a question of "when"

too bad people undermine Druaga. even though it wasn't full comedy, the show actually got quite good. so far i'm loving Sword of Uruk.

i bet they'll announce Linebarrel next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17