• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Daily Streaming Poll is up! animenewsnetwork.com/survey/966/show

Suicide Squad Isekai already has an episode review published. Is it guaranteed a spot?

Yes. We didn't wait with Suicide Squad because it both launched early and with its first three episodes. I didn't want to start reviews with the series half over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:08 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Have we forgotten that free speech means allowing unpleasant and offensive speech too? Remember that someday those in power may have a very different definition of "hate speech" than that of the current "socially liberal" definitions.

I'm going to tell you surprising thing: "free speech" as excuse to spread hate speech as it exists in USA thankfully isn't a thing in many civilised countries. You are totally getting prosecuted for spreading hate speech in many countries, for examples just try to spread Nazi propaganda in Germany and see how it goes.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:04 pm Reply with quote
For once it was easy for me to pick my list in regards to the reviews. I was thinking of putting on a certain isekai but that only works if the show is so bad it is good and that is not the case sadly. On a side note, episode 5 of Suicide Squad seems to have taken a freefall animation wise though that may just be me.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:26 pm Reply with quote
When the octodragon monster was referred to as a Negroni that ruined any attempt at creating atmosphere. “Their village is being menaced by a cocktail??”, I thoughtx
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 was a mixed bag, for me. In some respects it was as fluid as it's been since they got their regular outfits back (episode 2 or 3?), with spoiler[the middle and final parts of the dragon fight, with the flying debris and the freewheeling perspective being highlights as they scrambled all around. The dragon's death was pretty great too, just not my favorite.] In others, it felt... so obviously cost-cutting, specifically with the transitions between locales across the world map, and nothing especially standout between or before then. Does strike me as somewhat uneven, though.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I voted for everything I’m watching this season. The ones I want to see get daily streaming reviews the most are Narenare, Sakuna and Wonderful Pretty Cure. It would be nice to see my other choices picked too but those three are the ones I really want to see get attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Posting some summary graphs again, as in my previous, Spring 2024 post:

Median Scores bar plots:

Original size: https://i.imgur.com/NAtOmiK.png

All Scores by Show, Points Only (strip plots):

Original size: https://imgur.com/N2UZIiv.png

All Scores by Show, Boxes (strip+box plots):

Original size: https://i.imgur.com/kyEw3aN.png

Reviewer Scores (swarm plots):

Original size: https://i.imgur.com/xGdssFS.png

Attempt at Which Company Is Streaming Which Shows table:

Original size: https://i.imgur.com/9wMoGYy.png
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Please vote for Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian, My Deer Friend Nokotan, Pseudo Harem, and Vtuber Legend.

All 4 of those series are absolutely amazing and need to get daily reviews. Please, I'm begging you.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Bye Bye, Earth

Dop.L wrote:
When the octodragon monster was referred to as a Negroni that ruined any attempt at creating atmosphere. “Their village is being menaced by a cocktail??”, I thought...

Crossover anime of Bye Bye, Earth with Bartender: Kami no Glass (Bartender: Glass of God)?

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Protagonist Belle's blade bears the word "Erehwon," while her teacher Sian's sword reads "Enola." If you've had any experience with the Enola Holmes franchise (books or movies), you'll immediately recognize that as "alone" spelled backward....

Surprised a Japanese author would use that name after the August 6, 1945 unpleasantness at Hiroshima. Rolling Eyes

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Belle is subject to discrimination, both for how she looks (the people call her "featureless")...

Right after she takes off her shirt. Laughing

Crunchyroll Removing the Comment Section

Dr. Wily wrote:
And free speech, for the record, refers to prosecution. You can go outside right now and yell at the top of your lungs about anything, heck even use all the hate speech you want. I mean, your neighbors might call for a noise violation or stop associating with you, but you cannot be prosecuted for the content of that speech itself. Ditto for if you publish an offensive book or make a movie with offensive language.

You must not be aware of Sections 318, 319, and 320 of the Canadian Criminal Code: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-45.html#h-121176

bassgs435 wrote:

Not trusting the people in power doesn't mean piglet wants it to happen. If you think people in power can't and won't redefine hate speech in awful ways to censor that which is inconvenient for them and that they will always act thinking about what's best for the people instead of themselves, then you need to stop living in dreamland. I wish reality wasn't like this, but it is. People in power suck and warning people about this simple fact is not "a threat" or a personal fantasy

Thank you, and you have it correct (both to my actual thoughts and the dangers ahead). The memories of Franco's political oppression are still haunting people in Spain, and if one understands how to interpret election results in Europe the Alternative für Deutschland, Rassemblement National, and Reform UK parties are a lot closer to being in power that just the raw numbers indicate.

Daerian wrote:

I'm going to tell you surprising thing: "free speech" as excuse to spread hate speech as it exists in USA thankfully isn't a thing in many civilised countries. You are totally getting prosecuted for spreading hate speech in many countries, for examples just try to spread Nazi propaganda in Germany and see how it goes.

Please do not make assumptions about what will and will not surprise others. As I indicate above I have read the Canadian statutes on "hate speech". Regarding Germany, I am well aware that the courts have set the precedence that arguing what was spoken and/or written being the truth is not allowed in defending a "hate speech" accusation, and furthermore a defense lawyer that attempts to prove a statement as fact can be sent to prison for contempt of court.
---
Sorry if I got too off topic here, but I am replying to posts that reference me that the moderators let stand.

Tokidoki Bosotto Russiago de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san (Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian)

NeverConvex wrote:
Before it, I thought the show's main gimmick was shockingly endearing, but now I think it also has a great sense of humor. The rom and the com, if you will.

Yes, and it is well enough done that I will continue with it.

Review Poll

Saeryen wrote:
I voted for everything I’m watching this season. The ones I want to see get daily streaming reviews the most are Narenare, Sakuna and Wonderful Pretty Cure. It would be nice to see my other choices picked too but those three are the ones I really want to see get attention.

I hope for everyone's sake that no one gets stuck reviewing a show that they dislike beyond the first episode. I was considering not voting for Gimai Seikatsu (Days with My Stepsister) for that reason.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:09 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Please do not make assumptions about what will and will not surprise others. As I indicate above I have read the Canadian statutes on "hate speech". Regarding Germany, I am well aware that the courts have set the precedence that arguing what was spoken and/or written being the truth is not allowed in defending a "hate speech" accusation, and furthermore a defense lawyer that attempts to prove a statement as fact can be sent to prison for contempt of court.

If you know that then don't argue "free speech" as super important thing for Crunchyroll to take into account. Not only it doesn't involve curated walled garden Crunchyroll is as service provider (they can allow or disallow what they want, pretty much), but also doesn't work because Crunchyroll is global company, not only USA based one.
And to be honest cutting people ability to be racist/sexists/etc. is always a plus.

The problem is with disallowing good people to discuss their beloved series. Unfortunately, we cannot expect Crunchyroll to invest into moderation team, when they are not willing to pay their translators living wage and are trying to replace them with useless AI, aren't we?

Oh wait. Maybe we should do that.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:10 am Reply with quote
Bye Bye, Earth was released in late 2000 as a 2 volume novel on the same day. It was a book and not a LN. Ubukata should have still been at Sega at that point and this was his first published book. The Twelve Kingdoms was a few years old when he typed the first sentence and novels like it and the Tomino´s Byston Well series (he wrote a ton as this is his 2nd main body of work after Gundam) were the market he was responding to. I am not here to comment too much on the novel and its adaptations but I guarantee you that we would talk about the anime as a hidden gem or foundational work (it isn´t) if it came out in the mid-00s in the form of a 24-26 ep show, as that would have been its natural habitat. But here we are, 2 decades later, with only a single cour overseen by Liden Film. 6/10?

Tow Ubukata is one of the most adapted Japanese novelists of his time, there are 4 live-action adaptions of his novels, without counting his many scripting gigs. There is a non-zero chance that his Chaos Legion LNs will be adapted one of these days, as Capcom´s forgotten game was a mixed-media project. Eulenspiegel is too weeby to not get an anime but it at least got a manga. Pilgrim Jaeger is dark fantasy making a show easy to market and he writes a novel a year these days. He was ahead of a bunch of trend explosions. When there's no more room in hell, the Ubukata adaptations will walk the Earth.
LukaTheLancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:50 am Reply with quote
[quote="Piglet the Grate"]
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Tokidoki Bosotto Russiago de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san (Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian)

NeverConvex wrote:
Kind've in love with the Alya show after episode 2....

For all the ecchi shots we get of Alya/Arisa? Wink

Does not bother me, but the lewdness could turn some off..

So i have been reading as much i can, and i am almost up with the current LN volume, and it something to note with it's fanservice, because the anime has more then Light Novel, but not as much as the Manga. But here is kicker, the light novel has a more vulgar language, there have been lines where i did a double take, because the book are rated PG-13 but i have read smut with less vulgar language there is a line in the LN that ends withspoiler[ "made my Uterus tremble"]
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:29 am Reply with quote
^ Oh, uh, that would definitely cross my personal line back into 'gratuitous' territory. Laughing

Huh, finally got around to watching Pseudo-Harem's Premiere, and I think I'm closest to James' p.o.v. on it? I put it off because I was kind of expecting to loathe it, based on title alone.

Instead, I kind of find myself riding the line between thinking -- not unlike Alya, actually -- that the kouhai acting out her feelings is a pretty cute way of confessing-without-confessing, but also thinking that she and her senpai's intensity for the anyone-but-her-actual-self romantic play comes off as borderline unhinged. It's difficult to tell if I'm watching a cute, tentative romance or a girl slowly losing her mind and sense of self, although mostly I think it's a cute romance. Shocked
Aerdra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:49 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Posting some summary graphs again...

Thank you for compiling this data.

The shows I'll probably be keeping are spread out, some rated well, some not.

Both Pseudo Harem and I Parry Everything are ranked near the middle, but the former has the widest dispersion while the latter has the narrowest. I'm definitely watching Pseudo Harem.

I skipped The Elusive Samurai at first, but it turned out to be quite impressive.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:34 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
But here we are, 2 decades later, with only a single cour overseen by Liden Film. 6/10?

Actually, it's confirmed Bye Bye Earth has 2 cours (20 episodes). There's no source sayin it's 1 cour
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 29