• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:29 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
If this is about hate bombing, shouldn't they simply disable comments under LGBT comments, and maybe eventually enable stricter moderation on them or something? Here this is common with articles about Russian invasion - some sites disable comments on them due to Russian bots, leaving other articles intact. In this case I'm sure most trolls will get bored very quickly, unlike bots, so they just have to protect comments better until second or third episode.

Does that really seem equitable? Fans don't get to comment on series they love, that may speak to their life experiences, just because some people are bigots? Sure you can talk endlessly about which isekai waifu has the best tatas, but if you want to say anything about how Senpai is an Otokonoko is relatable, you're silenced for your own protection.

No.

They could enable something like posts only appearing after moderation review (few seconds per post should be enough) for shows under attack, which I bet wouldn't last that long and fizzle out quickly, so it's not like their costs would increase that much. If reports are coming in, disable commenting (or rather move them them to review queue), assign team, enable commenting with restrictions.
Online shops often have to with hatebombing and have strategies for them, why can't Crunchyroll? And as it is, people still can't say about relating to Senpai in Crunchyroll's comments, even though others could talk all about isekai tatas in previous seasons, so I don't think their solution is much of a win against bigots.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Kind've in love with the Alya show after episode 2. spoiler[Suou-sis's trolling of Alya is a great complement to the central gag].
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:46 pm Reply with quote
They could enable something like posts only appearing after moderation review (few seconds per post should be enough) for shows under attack, which I bet wouldn't last that long and fizzle out quickly, so it's not like their costs would increase that much. If reports are coming in, disable commenting (or rather move them them to review queue), assign team, enable commenting with restrictions.
Online shops often have to with hatebombing and have strategies for them, why can't Crunchyroll? And as it is, people still can't say about relating to Senpai in Crunchyroll's comments, even though others could talk all about isekai tatas in previous seasons, so I don't think their solution is much of a win against bigots.

You really think Crunchyroll wants to hire someone to moderate every comment on every show they stream?
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:08 pm Reply with quote
TheOnePieceIsReal wrote:
But is it really about people hating bad shows? I think companies have more thicker skin then you're letting on. After all Jim Stephanie Sterling still trashes companies like Ubisoft and EA and they're comments aren't disabled. Heck, they're still making contact and badmouthing them to this day (As well as their audience, but that's another can of worms). If I was one of those companies I would have simply terminated their channel and the problem would be solved. But they don't because it's just one person badmouthing them and that person's opinion on them doesn't matter in the long run. In fact going after them would actually make for a PR disaster on their end.

Besides, while never confirmed, it's highly speculated that the reason was because of review bombing and gross comments on the LGBT series like Focus in the Twilight and the likes. Because it is well known there are tons of homophobic people who'll do everything in their power to ruin something's reputation.

I'm not saying that you're wrong as that's your opinion. I'm just a neutral person who tries to understand both sides. Maybe you're right that companies are overly sensitive, but it's also important to think of other reasons why they do it other then "The big bad company said so!"

Oh I was just using YouTube and Netflix as an example where companies were getting upset that every new product by Disney or Warner was getting a 1:9 like to dislike ratio or Netflix removing the 5 star rating system shortly after Amy Schumer's latest comedy special debuted and was getting rated 1 star.

Personally I don't think Crunchyroll cares about comments on their shows which is why I don't think this is about any kind of hate comments. People have hated anime shows plenty of times in the past so I don't see why now would be any different. My money is on this being about the Nokotan issue which has gotten much more publicity and is more relevant to the majority of audiences and Crunchyroll is just trying to do away with people being able to raise concerns or awareness about bad subs and products and making more people aware. I have heard it even affects the dub this time around. If more shows end up being like that in the future then I can understand why they would want to disable comments for people to point it out or raise concerns on their platform. I think the subtitle issue is far more important and widespread for the industry at large. BL shows have existed for decades so I don't see that as anything new.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:18 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:

You really think Crunchyroll wants to hire someone to moderate every comment on every show they stream?

I mean, let's be realistic here about how large a moderation team that would even be. We're talking about a comment section under every video available for streaming. The site claimed to have 45,000 episodes as of May 1. There are approximately 480 episodes added every season (not subtracting series going to HIDIVE/Netflix/Hulu).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Na-Nare Hana-Nare (Narenare -Cheer for You!-)

Caitlin Moore wrote:
...Kanata quit cheer when her teammate Suzuha was severely injured...
...but they also didn't really operate on any kind of human wavelengths. “I can't do cheerleading because I can't fly without Suzuha!” Why not just say it's not the same without your friend?

Suzuha Obunai is the parkour girl, Megumi Kaionji is Kanata's former cheer teammate who was hospitalized and currently in a wheelchair due to illness.

Still not fixed.

Caitlin Moore wrote:
...if the story couldn't bother to focus, why should I?

No comment.

...Here this is common with articles about Russian invasion - some sites disable comments on them due to Russian bots, leaving other articles intact.

This goes both ways, but further discussion is off-topic.

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

Does that really seem equitable? Fans don't get to comment on series they love, that may speak to their life experiences, just because some people are bigots? Sure you can talk endlessly about which isekai waifu has the best tatas, but if you want to say anything about how Senpai is an Otokonoko is relatable, you're silenced for your own protection....

I must be getting too old, since when I participated in Usenet discussions (back when lots of people commented, not like now when Usenet is mostly used to share warez and pr0n) the idea of a "safe space" did not even exist. One either ignored unpleasant content, kill-filed the person(s) posting it, or fired right back in a flame war (I still have my "asbestos underwear" around if needed). Have we forgotten that free speech means allowing unpleasant and offensive speech too? Remember that someday those in power may have a very different definition of "hate speech" than that of the current "socially liberal" definitions.

Tokidoki Bosotto Russiago de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san (Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian)

NeverConvex wrote:
Kind've in love with the Alya show after episode 2....

For all the ecchi shots we get of Alya/Arisa? Wink

Does not bother me, but the lewdness could turn some off.

Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan (My Deer Friend Nokotan)

Episode 2 was a much more coherent story than the scattershot Episode 1, so I think I will upgrade my rating from 3 to 4 stars.

Gimai Seikatsu (Days with My Stepsister)

Nothing in Episodes 2 and 3 (yes, at least the first 3 episodes have been leaked early) is likely to change the opinion people had of the show from just watching Episode 1.

I really like the way they do Ayase's diary in Episode 3 to provide her perspective, but expect a lot of people to find it annoying.

Ramen Aka Neko (Red Cat Ramen)

Episode 2: Well, a bit more action and excitement than Episode 1, so I will check out Episode 3 at least.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Ramen Akaneko continues to be cute and good. I will vote for it for the Daily Streaming Reviews because I like it (though I doubt it’ll get a spot, those tend to go to more story-driven shows). There were a few nice animation gimmicks this time too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Doubleclouder wrote:
Oh I was just using YouTube and Netflix as an example where companies were getting upset that every new product by Disney or Warner was getting a 1:9 like to dislike ratio or Netflix removing the 5 star rating system shortly after Amy Schumer's latest comedy special debuted and was getting rated 1 star.

Personally I don't think Crunchyroll cares about comments on their shows which is why I don't think this is about any kind of hate comments. People have hated anime shows plenty of times in the past so I don't see why now would be any different. My money is on this being about the Nokotan issue which has gotten much more publicity and is more relevant to the majority of audiences and Crunchyroll is just trying to do away with people being able to raise concerns or awareness about bad subs and products and making more people aware. I have heard it even affects the dub this time around. If more shows end up being like that in the future then I can understand why they would want to disable comments for people to point it out or raise concerns on their platform. I think the subtitle issue is far more important and widespread for the industry at large. BL shows have existed for decades so I don't see that as anything new.

What can I say about that? We don't really know the reason. All we can do is assume.

Maybe it is because the BL anime was being review bombed or the terrible subbing of Nokotan. Who knows and honestly it's speculation at this point. Only way we can get a confirmation would be from Crunchyroll themselves, and let's be honest, they're never going to explain their reasoning.

Oh well, not a big deal for me. I never read Crunchyroll comments so it's no big lost to me. I do at least empathize with those who do like reading the comments.

I'm not saying it's not a big deal. I just have a bad history with anger and hatred. It's personal so I rather not say. So I just learn to enjoy life and move on. It's more healthier to think that way.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
I must be getting too old, since when I participated in Usenet discussions (back when lots of people commented, not like now when Usenet is mostly used to share warez and pr0n) the idea of a "safe space" did not even exist. One either ignored unpleasant content, kill-filed the person(s) posting it, or fired right back in a flame war (I still have my "asbestos underwear" around if needed). Have we forgotten that free speech means allowing unpleasant and offensive speech too? Remember that someday those in power may have a very different definition of "hate speech" than that of the current "socially liberal" definitions.

Yes, you must be. I mean the simple fact that you participated in Usenet discussion already dates you, but anyone complaining about safe spaces should go yell at a cloud. No, not everyone needs them and some would rather get in flame wars but some people want them and that's okay.

And free speech, for the record, refers to prosecution. You can go outside right now and yell at the top of your lungs about anything, heck even use all the hate speech you want. I mean, your neighbors might call for a noise violation or stop associating with you, but you cannot be prosecuted for the content of that speech itself. Ditto for if you publish an offensive book or make a movie with offensive language. Good luck finding somewhere to sell them but hey that's your prerogative. But any forum, be that a forum like this one or a comment section or social media, since they're all owned by companies, does not guarantee those rights. Any private company (or mod or webmaster or etc) can ban commenters or remove comment sections outright for any reason they want.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:17 am Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:

But hey cool lowkey threat how you dream that one day maybe liberal words will be classified as hate speech.

Not trusting the people in power doesn't mean piglet wants it to happen. If you think people in power can't and won't redefine hate speech in awful ways to censor that which is inconvenient for them and that they will always act thinking about what's best for the people instead of themselves, then you need to stop living in dreamland. I wish reality wasn't like this, but it is. People in power suck and warning people about this simple fact is not "a threat" or a personal fantasy
Dayraven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Yeah, I suspect Crunchyroll comments had hit the ‘more trouble than they’re worth’ issue for one or many reasons, and most possible fixes would add trouble.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:44 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
For all the ecchi shots we get of Alya/Arisa? Wink

Does not bother me, but the lewdness could turn some off.

Hah, nah -- I mean, the ecchi in it is... OK? The characters are a little on the young side, but it at least feels molded into the story well, and none of it has felt completely gratuitous, cruel, or arbitrary. But the spoiler[lil' sis trolling Alya] was just too good (just a tiny episode 2 spoiler, but being paranoid given this is the premieres thread). I hope that particular character interaction keeps up for a while and that they manage to keep it feeling fresh. Before it, I thought the show's main gimmick was shockingly endearing, but now I think it also has a great sense of humor. The rom and the com, if you will.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:05 am Reply with quote
Quality Assurance could be interesting. I at least came out of the first episode feeling like it was putting in real effort to do something different enough that it isn't relying on one gimmick to say it isn't like the other isekais. Caitlin's initial question about whether it is an isekai isn't entirely a joke in my mind because for the first half or so, I found myself wondering if it was one since it didn't feel like it, despite the title.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
Daily Streaming Poll is up! animenewsnetwork.com/survey/966/show
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:01 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Daily Streaming Poll is up! animenewsnetwork.com/survey/966/show

Suicide Squad Isekai already has an episode review published. Is it guaranteed a spot?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 29