• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Koi wa Futago de Warikirenai (Love Is Indivisible by Twins)

I've cracked the code - if the reviews call a show boring I should check it out because I will probably like it. Rolling Eyes

Will be watching this for more than just seeing how the plot goes, as I like the characters and pacing.

Wonder if more than a few (yes, there are some in comments I have read elsewhere) have yuri shipped Rumi and Naori together to resolve the problem, or is incest too squicky for most? Other resolution would be for Jun to imitate Naoya Mukai and loudly proclaim (accompanied by epic battle music) his love for both twins.
pi8you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:33 am Reply with quote
Mayonaka Punch was excellent, bring on the disaster vamping.

The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies was fun and just the right length for what it's doing, easy keeper.

No Longer Allowed in Another World is a fraught one, but mostly it feels like one where they should be taking bigger swings if they're gonna do it at all.

Love is Indivisible By Twins joins Stepsister in being an unexpectedly grounded swerve compared to the potential of the setup. Of the two I thought this one was much better, but it didn't leave me chomping at the bit for more either.
Daerian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:24 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Wonder if more than a few (yes, there are some in comments I have read elsewhere) have yuri shipped Rumi and Naori together to resolve the problem, or is incest too squicky for most? Other resolution would be for Jun to imitate Naoya Mukai and loudly proclaim (accompanied by epic battle music) his love for both twins.

Polyamory is the correct answer in 90% of harems. Would solve everything.
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:34 am Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
I mean, the official line is to "reduce harmful content", and from the few times I've taken a gander at the comments....that tracks. Not to say there aren't less publicly acceptable reasons, but thats the official stance.

Every platform or service justifies the removal of comments, ratings, or other customer feedback under the pretense of being for use safety rather than for the benefit of the company or investors since it sounds better than big companies like YouTube or Netflix coming out and saying they're disabling dislikes because companies were complaining that all their bad shows were getting low ratings.
Given how many people have complained about Crunchyroll and for how long I'm more surprised they did not do this years ago.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:48 am Reply with quote
Doubleclouder wrote:
Every platform or service justifies the removal of comments, ratings, or other customer feedback under the pretense of being for use safety rather than for the benefit of the company or investors since it sounds better than big companies like YouTube or Netflix coming out and saying they're disabling dislikes because companies were complaining that all their bad shows were getting low ratings.

But is it really about people hating bad shows? I think companies have more thicker skin then you're letting on. After all Jim Stephanie Sterling still trashes companies like Ubisoft and EA and they're comments aren't disabled. Heck, they're still making contact and badmouthing them to this day (As well as their audience, but that's another can of worms). If I was one of those companies I would have simply terminated their channel and the problem would be solved. But they don't because it's just one person badmouthing them and that person's opinion on them doesn't matter in the long run. In fact going after them would actually make for a PR disaster on their end.

Besides, while never confirmed, it's highly speculated that the reason was because of review bombing and gross comments on the LGBT series like Focus in the Twilight and the likes. Because it is well known there are tons of homophobic people who'll do everything in their power to ruin something's reputation.

I'm not saying that you're wrong as that's your opinion. I'm just a neutral person who tries to understand both sides. Maybe you're right that companies are overly sensitive, but it's also important to think of other reasons why they do it other then "The big bad company said so!"
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess it would be like if an American cartoon featured a wacky Edgar Allen Poe who gets his superpowers from binge drinking and stroking the death portrait of his cousin, or something. (James Beckett)

Thanks for this Edgar Allen Poe comment. It is a rather fair comment for the show, that brings the discussion in focus, and made me consider this in another light that I didn't think of myself.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Tower of God: I saw most(?) of Season 1 and also didn’t think much of it despite it being a type of story I’m often interested in, but just mentioning in the webtoon’s defence that I checked some of it out afterwards and it seemed substantially better. Seems like the adaptation skipped a lot of things that made characters likeable and plot points logical.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote
If this is about hate bombing, shouldn't they simply disable comments under LGBT comments, and maybe eventually enable stricter moderation on them or something? Here this is common with articles about Russian invasion - some sites disable comments on them due to Russian bots, leaving other articles intact. In this case I'm sure most trolls will get bored very quickly, unlike bots, so they just have to protect comments better until second or third episode.

The 1-star review of Pseudo Harem feels like reviewer got paid to make a hit job on the characters. Eiji was introduced roleplaying introduction to romance manga, and consistently shown as silly goof who loves tropes and exaggerating, there is no reason to treat his reaction "Of course I'm interested in romance! I even want a harem" as serious desire for polyamory, especially since we're shown literally next scene that he also tries to roleplay male manga tropes, and later male tsundere, but he quickly decides he sucks at it compared to Rin.

They clearly share, in addition to liking exaggerated acting for fun, a similar silly humor sense and appreciation of manga tropes - which also explains why Rin is into him: he makes her laugh, even if reviewer herself is not amused. Rin doesn't waste her efforts, she has fun playing manga tropes with the guy she likes, just like other people like cosplaying. So what if tropes are one-dimensional, their interactions aren't really different from quoting "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" "Wow, you're awesome, do Black Knight next! and then Holy Grenade!", there is absolutely nothing skeevy about it, even if Rin enjoys being praised by her crush and uses her skill to secretly flirt with him for real, while Eiji can be little overbearing and rude in his eagerness as Rin's fan.

As for Rebecca's review part about loungewear being blow to her, on one hand it can be taken as good sign, because loungewear is here sign of intimacy, like when living together with someone, but when we see he compares her to famous actresses and idols, while earlier he mentions hoping to at least being buff stagehand, if that's all he can be if he can't act, it seems like he's putting her on pedestal while putting himself down. Not good sign for her romance, she'll have her work cut for her.

"MG and Evil Lieutnant" is bit overdoing but in good way, it's really nice and cute, and when I learned this is kind of a tribute to late author, it makes it even better in a way, given its themes so far. Reminds me when at last episode of Migi and Dali there was tribute to mangaka, I hope those who are still alive can take heart from such tributes, knowing that if, God forbid, anything happens to them, their works will also be appreciated.

No Longer Allowed may not be as darkly funny as Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, but it still got some laughs from me, and if I remember manga chapters, it gets into more than just suicide jokes. Also I like when MC has good reason to be harem magnet, I don't want "immediately bought a person but didn't beat her up or forced himself on her, such a heart-throb", give me chads like Frieren's Himmel or Sensei's suffering artist's rizz.

Mayonaka was pretty funny as comedy of losers, I think it can hit that sweet spot between being too mean and not mean enough for its collection of girlfailures. Nokotan was weird, I agree with some reviewers that it's not at Nichijou or Asobi Asobase level, but it can be pretty fun sometimes. I'll give it few more episodes, it's not like this season is stacked.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure how many more shows there are to review (I know at least one more). Does anyone have an estimated date for voting on daily streaming reviews?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Polyamory is the correct answer in 90% of harems. Would solve everything.

Not with the maturity levels casts of harems tend to have.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:27 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
If this is about hate bombing, shouldn't they simply disable comments under LGBT comments, and maybe eventually enable stricter moderation on them or something? Here this is common with articles about Russian invasion - some sites disable comments on them due to Russian bots, leaving other articles intact. In this case I'm sure most trolls will get bored very quickly, unlike bots, so they just have to protect comments better until second or third episode.

Does that really seem equitable? Fans don't get to comment on series they love, that may speak to their life experiences, just because some people are bigots? Sure you can talk endlessly about which isekai waifu has the best tatas, but if you want to say anything about how Senpai is an Otokonoko is relatable, you're silenced for your own protection.

No.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
I’m not sure how many more shows there are to review (I know at least one more). Does anyone have an estimated date for voting on daily streaming reviews?

Thank you for asking. The poll will launch tomorrow (Friday) since most of the shows have wrapped. Stragglers will be available for voting and also added to the guide, with some added as late as August.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:04 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Thank you for asking. The poll will launch tomorrow (Friday) since most of the shows have wrapped. Stragglers will be available for voting and also added to the guide, with some added as late as August.

There's one new show tomorrow (Bye Bye Earth), but 3 new shows this Saturday;

Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World?
Makeine: Too Many Losing Heroines!
Atri -My Dear Moments-
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:

There's one new show tomorrow (Bye Bye Earth), but 3 new shows this Saturday;

Why Does Nobody Remember Me in This World?
Makeine: Too Many Losing Heroines!
Atri -My Dear Moments-

Thank you both for the information!
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I remember almost nothing about Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World, so I've been mulling over whether to try the second season. I would normally rewatch the show first if I really enjoyed it and needed a refresher, but it was pretty average. I was hoping we'd get a refresher in the first episode, but after reading the reviews, I guess that wasn't meant to be. Decisions, decisions...

Lily Garden wrote:
Side note: I don't know if this is the right place to bring this up but what is with Crunchyroll removing their comments section? I was surprised when I went on to watch the first episode of  The Magical Girl and The Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies, and I scrolled down to find it and vanished. Disappointing too, because I went on to watch Spice & Wolf and missed the discussion that used to accompany it...

I only just learned about this myself, but I guess the comments have been down for 2 or 3 days now. I loved the Crunchyroll discussions for Spice & Wolf, so that's where it hurts the most. I'm kinda surprised that ANN hasn't reported on this, unless I missed it. Maybe they're working on an article as we speak? I know they've been busy with convention news.

Last edited by MyMasterMatthew on Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 29