• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pi8you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:21 am Reply with quote
Welcome back, Konosuba, Explosions was a good side dish but I'm ready for more of the main course.

Oblivion Battery wasn't one I was particularly interested in, and it didn't do me anything to win me over. I think my biggest problem with it is that there's an interesting core for a dramatic story with the titular battery, but they chose a third party as the perspective character instead of getting inside of either one of those heads.

Unnamed Memory wasn't what I was expecting, but I found it pretty watchable, and gives me a good enough witch for the season. Definitely a step or three below Spice & Wolf as bantering couples go though, which is unfortunate for it being in the same season.

The Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio didn't really do enough to sway me one way or the other yet. Sticking around for now to see if it continues to just maintain this prickly duo, or if it actually goes for some character growth as a result of their coming together.

Mysterious Disappearances had quite a bit that I liked, even as it is still keeping some key cards close to its (ample!) chest. My only complaint is with the curse itself, and how the mass-stuffing apparently didn't become a problem for days on end until suddenly it was. I know it's a curse and all, but still. (hey wait a second, exceedingly busty writer stuck in a supernatural horror mystery, <butterflymeme>Is this Summertime Rendering?</butterflymeme>)

I saw someone comment despairingly recently that, thanks to YouTube, the kids today are growing up thinking all you need for comedy is to be louder and dumber, and boy does Viral Hit embody that. Just an ugly, ugly show from top to bottom.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:47 am Reply with quote
FanGamer24 wrote:
oof, those Viral Hit Reviews are harsh. I get it, the series has a slow start and the anime does a decent job burning through the opening material. All I can say is it does get better and to at least give it a few episodes before dropping it.

While I understand the name complaint, as someone who has read the comic I greatly appreciate them using the names English audiences would be most familiar with. Lookism used the original Korean and I found that very distracting.

I don't think the reviewers we're criticizing at the slow pace. They're criticizing the ridiculous amount of punching-down the MC faces that is gratuitous and farcical. I don't think I'm curious enough to even see how he gets out of that slump.
Dkrattrap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I don’t get is why not review Date A Live V. I know it’s not the greatest show but it does have a following.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Dkrattrap wrote:
The only thing I don’t get is why not review Date A Live V. I know it’s not the greatest show but it does have a following.

Anything that's licensed will get reviewed. If it isn't licensed, unfortunately it's not eligible (and if that is so, I feel your pain, poor AiPri).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Dkrattrap wrote:

Its season 5 of a show. You already know if you're on board or not, and if you aren't sure, this is not the place to start. As someone who watched it, absolutely no time was spent refreshing viewers on the players and plot- it just jumped to right after last season.

Heck, the plan might be to review it, but its nature as a sequel with no refresher might mean that the average viewer/reviewer has to refamiliarize themselves with whatever the heck was going on. Which would naturally take additional time.
Dkrattrap

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:30 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
Dkrattrap wrote:

Its season 5 of a show. You already know if you're on board or not, and if you aren't sure, this is not the place to start. As someone who watched it, absolutely no time was spent refreshing viewers on the players and plot- it just jumped to right after last season.

Heck, the plan might be to review it, but its nature as a sequel with no refresher might mean that the average viewer/reviewer has to refamiliarize themselves with whatever the heck was going on. Which would naturally take additional time.
. I’m just saying if they’re going to have a review of konosuba season 3 episode 1, laid back camp season 3 episode 1, that time I got reincarnated as a slime season 3 episode 1 and mushoku tensei season 2 part 2 episode 1, why not date a live v
Sevokevo Royuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:34 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
FanGamer24 wrote:
oof, those Viral Hit Reviews are harsh. I get it, the series has a slow start and the anime does a decent job burning through the opening material. All I can say is it does get better and to at least give it a few episodes before dropping it.

While I understand the name complaint, as someone who has read the comic I greatly appreciate them using the names English audiences would be most familiar with. Lookism used the original Korean and I found that very distracting.

I don't think the reviewers we're criticizing at the slow pace. They're criticizing the ridiculous amount of punching-down the MC faces that is gratuitous and farcical. I don't think I'm curious enough to even see how he gets out of that slump.

But the thing is… it looks like they are doing a direct pull from the WEBTOON.. so what you see with the punching in the face is the same thing that happen in the WEBTOON… I would figure people be more happy that they are pulling from the WEBTOON instead of redrawing it to look differently
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Dkrattrap wrote:
I’m just saying if they’re going to have a review of konosuba season 3 episode 1, laid back camp season 3 episode 1, that time I got reincarnated as a slime season 3 episode 1 and mushoku tensei season 2 part 2 episode 1, why not date a live v

Very simple explanation: No one writing for the PG is fully caught up with DAL. (And you do have to be fully caught up to make any sense of what's going on in ep 1.) In the other cases, there are one or more writers caught up with those series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
FanGamer24 wrote:

But the thing is… it looks like they are doing a direct pull from the WEBTOON.. so what you see with the punching in the face is the same thing that happen in the WEBTOON… I would figure people be more happy that they are pulling from the WEBTOON instead of redrawing it to look differently

That is not what punching down means. It is incredibly funny to imagine believing someone is critiquing the literal face punching animation when they say the tone of the show sucks.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

I think by 'punching down' the other poster meant something more like "to attack or criticize someone who is in a worse or less powerful position than you".
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Sevokevo Royuki wrote:

I personally do not consider strict faithfulness as necessarily a good thing, so much as any other element of making an adaptation. Blue Archive the Animtion stripped out the meeting with Rin, Chinatsu, Hasumi, and Yuuka as you fend off Wakamo from the prologue, alongside a bunch of other stuff surely to get elaborated on later, but I can only really agree with that choice unless they wanted to do a much more complicated double-feature premiere (which I might have liked though would be a harder sell than what we got). Sometimes being strictly behold to beat-by-beat faithfulness can only discourage creative stylistic choices in an adaptation, and otherwise limit the show trying to be its best show. Heavily contextual, of course, though.

By the way: "Punching down" refers not to literal punching, but to attacking another person -- overwhelmingly a broad group of people, such as disabled and poor folk -- and essentially using them as the butt of the joke. Laughing at someone, instead of laughing with. In darkchibi07's example, it'd be how he's on the bottom of the social ladder and keeps getting trampled upon without any real recourse. I don't necessarily agree, but I can definitely get it.
LiteralGrill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Having seen several people say Viral Hit gets better and to keep watching... What if it doesn't? I know folks go for three episode rules at times but the first episode is supposed to be the first impression. If it's not good, or in this case gives outright bad vibes to viewers, they have to do SO much to change minds. This is the only premiere this season I wasn't just bored by but actively knew I'd be dropping it immediately.

If there's proof this will be a 9/10 in the future or something I'm down to hear it, but the show has to be THAT good or probably even better for it to get a second chance.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd want some more detail on what exactly gets better about it. Have been burned before by people claiming a show gets better without explaining what they mean by that. Shocked
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode of Viral Hit and look forward to more. Especially to seeing that douchey Pakgo get his face stoved in. What can I tell ya? I'm a simple man with simple tastes.
Telu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Man, the only things that have high production values this season of Mushoku Tensei are the opening and the ending, a shame but it is what it is.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 32