• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Isekai Shikaku (which is much much faster to type than "No Longer Allowed In Another World")
Quote:
It's a system, she tells him, whereby depressed people are hit with the Truck and sent to fantasy worlds.

If you are wondering if the series will use this to say anything about the trend in isekai stories of giving depressed people/people who had terrible lives magical "cheat" powers and setting them loose on a world powerless to stop them, the answer is spoiler[ yes, it is clearly trying to send the message that these escapist power fantasies do the opposite of resolve people's emotional issues. Although I think the series could have done that without being about Dazai at all, so that interesting aspect to the story doesn't really justify the constant suicidal ideation jokes and use of a real world figure.]
Quote:
Oh, they never say that the "sensei" we're following is Dazai, but the title alludes to one of his best-known works, No Longer Human, and his character design bears more than a passing resemblance to photos of the man.

You know, it legitimately never occurred to me that the series itself never actually refers to him as Dazai, even in narration, and that's why he's called "Sensei". I guess it's because when I first discovered the manga there was a plot description that listed him as Osamu Dazai, so my brain just assumed the series proper must have mentioned it somewhere as well. But now that I think of it, that blurb may not have even been official. I will say Crunchyroll's description of the series does refer to him as "Osamu".
I guess not actually using his name also explains how the series doesn't at all acknowledge spoiler[the fact that Dazai had abandoned his (second) wife and children to move in with the woman he later committed suicide with].
Quote:
and the look of the truck and the sedative Sensei tries to OD with once he's in the other world, Calmotin, are both in line with the late 1940s.
The following paragraph has a spoiler block to hide multiple mentions/descriptions of IRL attempted suicide, not actual spoilers about the series:
Not only is it appropriate to the time period, spoiler[but a decade before IRL Dazai and his lover committed shinju by drowning, Dazai had failed an attempted shinju by sleeping pills with his first wife, after it came to light that she had had an affair with Dazai's best friend during the month Dazaiwas locked in a mental institution for the year-long morphine-based painkiller addiction he developed while hospitalized for appendicitis (with said hospitalization happening only 3 weeks after a failed attempt at suicide by hanging]. So the first episode actually references three different methods of suicide the IRL Dazai attempted.
Flash33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:01 pm Reply with quote
mynamemine wrote:
I can understand wanting more anime made that targets other demographics. (Note that the manga industry seems to have decided that they get a better financial return from adapting shojo and josei as live action rather than anime, especially if both Japanese and South Korean versions are made.) But that is very different from getting miffed at the shows that get adapted for preteen and teen boys containing elements that preteen and teen boys like. What else are they supposed to do? While entertainment that doesn't cater to what the target audience likes can succeed, it won't consistently AND requires other elements that drives up costs. Yes, we all loved Mob Psycho 100 with its absence of fanservice and subversion of masculine power fantasies. Great, now go produce 20 shows like it a year, most with a fraction of the budget and little of the elite talent. And for all the awards and glowing reviews that Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken justifiably earned, a mediocrity like Plunderer garnered bigger audience while airing the very same season, while also boosting manga sales. Our Last Crusade Or Rise of the New World? Bigger audience than Golden Kamuy almost solely because of the looks of the female protagonist, and the same was true of Banished From The Heroes Party vs Restaurant To Another World.

Regarding Banished vs. Restaurant I don't think it's fair to compare the two shows since both are pretty different. Restaurant is all about the food a good majority of the time with only occasional dives into the characters themselves while Banished focuses more on the characters & their day to day lives & struggles with things like their blessings and whatnot.

Personally I enjoyed Banished more as I found the characters & settings more enjoyable than Restaurant. Not that Restaurant is bad or anything as I can definitely see why people enjoy it (and to be clear I did watch S1 & part of S2), just for me it takes more than characters saying "wow this food is amazing" 90% of the time to continuously hold my interest and attention (perhaps a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point).

That aside I watched Raising Children While Being an Adventurer and it's fine. The game stats screen is a bit annoying, and I do wish isekai stories would stop relying on them so much as a crutch*, and the twins are cute & endearing, though hopefully they develop more distinct personalities as the story progresses. MC is fine too, though I did find it unusual for him to be voiced by Matt Shipman (I know he voiced Hajime in Arifureta but still I'm just not used to hearing him in isekais). That being said it did feel like they were rushing things a bit in the first 2 episodes, which unfortunately seems to be a trend with adaptations nowadays, especially with 1-cour ones (which I'm assuming this one is). Also, when I read this part of Caitlin Moore's review:
Quote:
Anyway, the gimmick this time is that he finds a pair of five-year-old twins out in the woods, who he names Alan and Elena (matching names! My favorite! *barf*).

I couldn't help but think "Really? Of all the things to get annoyed by you choose that? Grow up." Many twins, siblings or cousins have similar or matching names such as Oshi No Ko's Ruby and Aquamarine Hoshino, Ben 10's Ben and Gwen Tennyson, K-ON!'s Yui and Ui Hirasawa and The Asterisk War's Li Shenyun and Li Shenhua, so I honestly really don't see the problem here, and while they do have their moments where they argue with each other it's never because of their names. I won't deny the show isn't perfect, but to me that just felt like a case of "looking for problems where none exist" rather than a legitimate criticism.

*They can work if the setting actually revolves around them, but most stories usually don't, hence the statement "relying on them as a crutch".

Last edited by Flash33 on Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Flash33

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:01 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
I don't know what to think about Elusive Samurai. It looked great for sure, and the story and characters were good, but man, you can't just go from showing us the raped, mangled and murdered body of a child and then make goofy jokes about the funny priest. And then have that child goofing off in the ending with the rest of the cast! The guy who's at fault is DJ'ing! Also the subitles on crunchyroll are awful. They constantly use character's first name when they say the last name and they did what I consider a sin, they anglosized the order of ancient Japanese names! That's annoying enough when it happens usually but there seems to be some sort of rule that old japanese names are left in the correct order (you never see nobunaga refered to as Nobunaga Oda for example) but here everyone's names are reversed

It's rare but it does happen sometimes. One example I can think of is in the dub for Nobunaga the Fool where Nobu introduces himself as Nobunaga Oda (don't know if it's the same in the sub though). Weird? Yes. Dealbreaker? To me, no, as you still know who the person is, so it's really not worth getting all bent out of shape over.
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had the time for watching more animes, but I just want to tip my (inexistent) hat off to the reviewer for the joke about Airplane!. the movie of my childhood. Thank you very much.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:08 am Reply with quote
My friend recommended No Long Allowed... (manga) to me a while back and I tried reading it but it just made me too uncomfortable. I enjoyed Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei so I'm not against suicide jokes sometimes but like the reviewers, the real life factor was too much. Same reason why I only gave Bungou Stray Dogs one episode, I didn't want to see more jokes about a guy committing suicide when that guy existed irl and attempted suicide heaps of times and finally succeeded less than 100 years ago.
It's a shame because there were some fun ideas in the manga but I just couldn't get past the protagonist issue... If it had been a completely original character I probably still would've felt vaguely uncomfortable but not enough to stop reading.

Quote:
I hesitated to get into The Magical Girl and The Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies at first. The creator, Cocoa Fujiwara, tragically passed away in 2015 before the manga could be completed.

yeahh I get too sad thinking about this title. I'm sure the series is lovely and my vague memories of the manga was that it was very cute but I just find it too sad.
Gan_HOPE326

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:07 am Reply with quote
About Elusive Samurai's jarring tone changes, like in the ED... bit of a thematic spoiler but spoiler[a big theme of the story, that at one point is explicitly spelled out, is "all these people could have been chill and even friends had they been born in a more peaceful time". The savagery is a product of the environment they grew in and the circumstances they are placed into. So the ED showing them all having fun in modern day clothes is in fact sort of foreshadowing one chapter where that literally happens and we get to see multiple characters (though not all of these ones) as they would have been in the present era, whereas they're killing each other in the main story, and decrying the waste of life this means.]
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:21 am Reply with quote
FuzzyDave wrote:
smurky turkey wrote:
Jabootu wrote:
This isn't an attempt at an "I'm right, you're wrong" thingie, I'm just asking: Am I the only one who liked Dungeon People rather more than the reviewers? It's not a modern classic, but I really enjoyed it.

I liked it a lot too due to the simple but charming look and the concept of seeing how dungeons tick. That said, I am a huge fan of fantasy dungeons so I may be an outlier.

I haven't caught up to this one yet, but I can say that the manga is charming and funny so if the anime is able to capture those qualities it will be a light, breezy, fun little show

If you're a fan of the manga, you may be somewhat disappointed. If the first episode is anything to go by, we're in for quite the unfaithful adaptation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:46 am Reply with quote
Another minotaur in The Wizard of Dungeonland! And this one talks! Pay no attention to the weird girl behind the wall! I liked Clay so while this wasn't an amazing premiere, it'll do for awhile.

The Wizard of Fantasyland also has me interested. I like the fluffy character designs, and the hook at the end was quite effective. Odd that we get two "behind the scenes" of game-adjacent settings this season. No minotaurs yet, but the dragon tadpoles were kinda awesome.

Reinventing the Wheel's first episode didn't even get to what the main plot point will be (according to the synopsis), but I liked it anyway. Dahlia was cute, her dad was nice, I'm a sucker for inventive takes on ordinary ideas. Like accidentally creating a flamethrower instead of a hair dryer was funny. Now that her childhood foundation is established, I'm looking forward to the rest of the beginning (talk about a series that needed a two episode launch!).

Sakuna Matata looks great, and I love the setting, but it's really hard to warm up to Sakuna, let alone the human idiots she has to contend with. But I guess there was enough there to give it a few more episodes to win me over.

Likewise, Hojo's Bizarre Adventure was top-notch visually, and I didn't dislike Tokiyuki, but Yorishige's going to take some getting used to. And I don't think I've seen such a jarring swerve into yikesland since Samurai Flamenco. But then nobody expects the Ashikaga Inquisition. At any rate, this is definitely my jam.

That's enough for now.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:00 am Reply with quote
The Magical Girl and The Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies was everything I was hoping it would be: those character design, the wispy watercolor backgrounds, the light and delicate animation, the subtle humor, the voice work, it all was near perfect - except for the length....I was not aware of the source material, but MAN!!!! I wanted more! This anime knocked it out of the stadium and I'm just happy to be able to watch any.....but, MAN!!!!
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:29 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
My friend recommended No Long Allowed... (manga) to me a while back and I tried reading it but it just made me too uncomfortable. I enjoyed Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei so I'm not against suicide jokes sometimes but like the reviewers, the real life factor was too much. Same reason why I only gave Bungou Stray Dogs one episode, I didn't want to see more jokes about a guy committing suicide when that guy existed irl and attempted suicide heaps of times and finally succeeded less than 100 years ago.
It's a shame because there were some fun ideas in the manga but I just couldn't get past the protagonist issue... If it had been a completely original character I probably still would've felt vaguely uncomfortable but not enough to stop reading.

There’s like a 90% chance that the MC of Zetsubou sensei was also based on Dazai, though it’s probably easier to disconnect when they use a different name
Daerian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:54 am Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:

There’s like a 90% chance that the MC of Zetsubou sensei was also based on Dazai, though it’s probably easier to disconnect when they use a different name

I would say main difference is that Zetsubou Sensei actually explores mental problems, mental illness and neurodivergence and even being (dark) comedy, it shows respect to its characters and their problems.

No Longer Allowed In Another World doesn't, it treats it character as fodder for cheap gag and without respect.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:10 am Reply with quote
Flash33 wrote:
Also, when I read this part of Caitlin Moore's review:
Quote:
Anyway, the gimmick this time is that he finds a pair of five-year-old twins out in the woods, who he names Alan and Elena (matching names! My favorite! *barf*).

I couldn't help but think "Really? Of all the things to get annoyed by you choose that? Grow up." Many twins or cousins have similar or matching names such as Oshi No Ko's Ruby and Aquamarine Hoshino, Ben 10's Ben and Gwen Tennyson and The Asterisk War's Li Shenyun and Li Shenhua, so I honestly really don't see the problem here. I won't deny the show isn't perfect, but to me that just felt like a case of "looking for problems where none exist" rather than a legitimate criticism.

Nah, as a twin myself it's my prerogative to be annoyed by any trophy ways fiction treats twins. I also have never met any twins with matching names who didn't find it obnoxious! Look forward to today's review Love is Indivisible by Twins!
bassgs435

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:37 am Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:

I would say main difference is that Zetsubou Sensei actually explores mental problems, mental illness and neurodivergence and even being (dark) comedy, it shows respect to its characters and their problems.

No Longer Allowed In Another World doesn't, it treats it character as fodder for cheap gag and without respect.

I'd say another difference is that Zetsubou-sensei is a fictional character, even if inspired by Dazai. He is in the end a completely fictional being. Meanwhile, Isekai Shikkaku's Sensei is clearly a fictional version of Dazai and not just inspired by him
It's like the difference beetween Fate/Stay Night's Artoria (who is suppossed to a woman version of King Arthur) and Seven Deadly Sins' Arthur (who even if inspired by the mythos, is supposed to be his own character in a ficitonal fantasy world and is Arthur in name only)
lomez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:20 am Reply with quote
No Longer Allowed in Another World: episode 1 literally ends with the main character finding a goal in this world, which necessarily requires not killing himself to achieve.

ANN reviewer: THIS SHOw iS JuST tHe oNE JoKe about Him tRYiNg TO kILl HiMSeLf oveR AnD OVer And I dOn'T knOw iF it Can CarrY THE shoW

So do these people stop watching halfway through or... ?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:14 am Reply with quote
So, given the choice of VA No Longer Allowed in Another World made me think of ''Zetsubou Sensei goes to another world'' and premise wise it honestly seems to fit that in some ways (not all though). We have plenty of dark humor/jokes with a focus on a mc that wants to commit suicide (eventually after episode 1) and the anime also seems quite critical/creative in certain ways. That goes particularly in regards to isekai tropes: I have no idea how to feel about the truck kun revelation (though given how miserable a lot of characters are pre-isekai it does make some sense). It would also not be Zetsubou Sensei without him gathering a harem of women with....unique traits.

I am gonna keep watching, it is an isekai that feels somewhat fresh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 29