• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dub Voice Actor Vic Mignogna Issues Statement: 'Taking Time to Recommit to God, Seeking He

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarateCowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
beyondashadow wrote:

For starters, they could've instructed their employees to *not* go off on social media while their internal investigation was still ongoing.

This is a good point. It kind of blew my mind that there was all this public back and forth between Funimation employees and the animé fan community and such. It is quite hamfisted, clumsy, and unprofessional. Actually, it kind of lacks basic business sense.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:33 pm Reply with quote
KarateCowboy wrote:
beyondashadow wrote:

For starters, they could've instructed their employees to *not* go off on social media while their internal investigation was still ongoing.

This is a good point. It kind of blew my mind that there was all this public back and forth between Funimation employees and the animé fan community and such. It is quite hamfisted, clumsy, and unprofessional. Actually, it kind of lacks basic business sense.

You know what lacks business sense? Sexually harassing an employee.
KarateCowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Yes, this is true. Do you think the managers were sexually harassing their employees?
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
KarateCowboy wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:

Yes, this is true. Do you think the managers were sexually harassing their employees?

Vic sexually harassed an employee of Funimation. That means Vic lacks business sense. Maybe next time, he should leave all the professional stuff to his agent.
KarateCowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
ranran-001 wrote:

Vic sexually harassed an employee of Funimation. That means Vic lacks business sense. Maybe next time, he should leave all the professional stuff to his agent.

Oh OK. I suppose that would be his co-workers then, not his employees.

I thought there was no actual evidence of sexual harassment beyond the accusations themselves? I'm still learning about this whole thing. Did I miss something?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:52 pm Reply with quote
beyondashadow wrote:
GoddyNee wrote:
beyondashadow wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks Funimation's PR (or lack thereof) during this ordeal made matters significantly worse?

Well...it's kind of hard to do PR when every other tweet is 'BOYCOTT FUNIMATION OR HIRE VIC/FIRE MONICA/JAMIE/EVERYONE WHO DOESN"T KISS VIC's BUTT'

Actors are not “employees”. They are independent contractors who are signed for individual projects. Since they aren’t employees of Funimation, Sentai, or Bang Zoom, those companies have far less power over what they can tell them to do or not.

Even if they included provisions in an individual contract, the most they can do if they violate it is just refuse to cast them in the future. Their employment contracts however, generally tend to cover things like non-disclosure rathe than social media behavior. You also have to remember that their contracts are generally very brief, only lasting until the show’s recording is done.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:19 am Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
On the plus side over $35,000 has been raised for Vic's legal options. Vic has released a statement on his twitter account confirming the GoFundMe, and he confirmed hiring a law firm. $100,000 soon and beyond! 8-)

A voice actor is held to account after 15 years of exceptionally inappropriate behavior and is rewarded by his rabid fanbase with about a year's worth of salary.

I don't want to live anymore.
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
She mentioned it was thorough with specific questions, and she was told things matched. That sounds to me like someone in questioning. Someone in questioning can't be an investigator as well(?) Plus, I don't see a point in an investigator coming forward if Funimation's statement never gave details. Add to that, she's only a VA on contract (creds to another post).

I've also stated she's not yet considered untrustworthy, with reasons. It's just a paragraph above this one you quoted.

Fair enough. I hope we'll learn all the juicy details sooner or later if this is going to court.

Sethimothy wrote:
A voice actor is held to account after 15 years of exceptionally inappropriate behavior and is rewarded by his rabid fanbase with about a year's worth of salary.

Technically, it goes into a trust and goes directly to the law firm. Any excess afterwards goes to the Salvation Army. Vic isn't going to get a dime of it himself.
purpleloops

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:06 am Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
ZorinBlitz wrote:
On the plus side over $35,000 has been raised for Vic's legal options. Vic has released a statement on his twitter account confirming the GoFundMe, and he confirmed hiring a law firm. $100,000 soon and beyond! Cool

You can relax, he isn't getting any money, and I'm pretty sure he didn't request for this GoFundMe to begin with. One of his supporters is a lawyer and petitioned for it. Vic seems to just be accepting the help in the form of a trust fund going toward the case expenses.
In short, his lawyer is being paid for this. Court is too expensive to frivolously dig a hand into that GoFundMe like a piggyback.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
Lizzie_B wrote:
So how long are the stans gonna spam Funimations' pages with their usual crap until they give up?

Their news reporting has been almost completely taken over by Billy Usher, the owner of One Angry Gamer and notorious member of GamerGate. Usher has been blacklisted by most of the press because of his bigotry and basically makes money by endlessly riling up his audience with clickbate so they would rage on the internet for a while, then come back to him for even more clickbait.

We're in for a long and not particularly impressive ride.

I dusted off my Wikipedia editing account that I hadn’t touched for over 3 years (and haven’t done any serious editing on in almost a decade, though I still use the site a lot to binge on trivia) to bring the use of Oneangrygamer on the Pensacon page to the attention of the anime community on their main talk page. I remember from when I followed the discussions over GG (and what a garbage fire that was) that it wasn’t considered a Reliable Source, so hopefully the people there do the right thing.

Also warned them about a possible ongoing influx of SPAs (single purpose accounts) to push their narrative on the pages related to Vic. Hopefully the admins and the community will be able to hold it down.

Man, I really hadn’t posted on Wikipedia seriously for almost a half a decade now. Hopefully my Wiki etiquette isn’t out of date and I still know what I’m doing!

Edit: and an admin already took action and removed the link. Thanks for bringing it to my (and by extension, his) attention!
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:59 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
I dusted off my Wikipedia editing account that I hadn’t touched for over 3 years (and haven’t done any serious editing on in almost a decade, though I still use the site a lot to binge on trivia) to bring the use of Oneangrygamer on the Pensacon page to the attention of the anime community on their main talk page. I remember from when I followed the discussions over GG (and what a garbage fire that was) that it wasn’t considered a Reliable Source, so hopefully the people there do the right thing.

Is there a reason you consider them unreliable aside from the "I don't like the dude who runs it" reason already mentioned? Wikipedia doesn't exactly have high standards for citations given the numerous mistakes I see on tons of articles all the time.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Steve Minecraft wrote:
GhostStalkerSA wrote:

Is there a reason you consider them unreliable aside from the "I don't like the dude who runs it" reason already mentioned? Wikipedia doesn't exactly have high standards for citations given the numerous mistakes I see on tons of articles all the time.

Usher has been judged by the Wikipedia Reliable Sources noticeboard to be be not a reliable source, ever since the GG thing. Part of it is the obvious bias in his reporting, and also because of his style of reporting, which also runs afoul of Wikipedia’s rules on Biographies of Living Persons, which are supposed to be held to a higher standard.

The line from the admin that responded to me was “One Angry Gamer is not a reliable source for anything involving living people, and questionable on anything else.” That’s pretty definitive.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, nobody should be using Wikipedia as a reference for anything. Every teacher or professor should have instilled that into you during your school years. I would dismiss anyone who cites it as a source for their argument on a subject.

beyondashadow wrote:

It's a coin toss if people are held accountable for their social media behavior. It depends on the values of their employers as well as any kind of public blowback they get from it. Some companies are okay with their employees making violent threats or racist remarks, it turns out. Some will fire their employees for simply being rude. Tweet at your own discretion. But that is just for employment. I don't think these Funimation employees should be saying certain incriminating things on social media when they could be on the cusp of being taken to court. It just seems unwise.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
To be fair, nobody should be using Wikipedia as a reference for anything. Every teacher or professor should have instilled that into you during your school years. I would dismiss anyone who cites it as a source for their argument on a subject.

I’m aware. It’s still a decent source for information and trivia on non-controversial stuff, and a good jumping off point to find actual quotable sources, if the article is decently sourced. I mean, basically absorbing the trivia I read on a number of Wikipedia pages plus really good recall for minutiae was good enough to get me onto Jeopardy, so it’s not all that full of junk.

But yes, attempting to use Wikipedia as a source for proof in an argument is a no go. It doesn’t mean you can’t call out poor use of sources in an article when you see it there, if you have some idea of what you’re doing, and hope a more experienced editor makes some changes to bring an article more in line with their Manual of Style.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

beyondashadow wrote:

It's a coin toss if people are held accountable for their social media behavior. It depends on the values of their employers as well as any kind of public blowback they get from it. Some companies are okay with their employees making violent threats or racist remarks, it turns out. Some will fire their employees for simply being rude. Tweet at your own discretion. But that is just for employment. I don't think these Funimation employees should be saying certain incriminating things on social media when they could be on the cusp of being taken to court. It just seems unwise.

Incriminating things to whom? If its Vic, then yes. Vic sexually harassed Monica Rial, and dozens of other women. As far as a court case is concerned, I don't see how Vic is going to be suing Funimation for anything beyond a severance check.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 23