• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coolest Character Tournament - Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mow123

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
Group C-17
Kino, Kino’s Journey vs.
Letopanyu Spoor, Crest/Banner of the Stars franchise
Choosing: Spoor
Because Love both choices, but Kino's calm demeanor exploits Spoor's temper.

Group C-18
Allen Schezar, Escaflowne franchise vs.
Medicine Seller, Ayakashi, Mononoke
Choosing: Medicine Seller
Because Anything over a generic mecha pilot.

Group C-19
Yuuko Ichihara, xxxHolic, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle vs.
The Count, Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Choosing: The Count
Because Both are shrouded by mystery, but the Count has an edge in class, style, and raw charisma that Yuuko can't come close to matching.

Group C-20
Nicholas Wolfwod, Trigun vs.
Taichi Keaton, Master Keaton
Choosing: Wolfwood
Because Keaton has broad skills, but his Macguyver like tendencies came off as more hokey than cool. Wolfwood on the other hand is about style and cool with the combat moves to back it up. Serving up justice with a large cross is cool, and I never thought that his character should stir people either way in the religious arena.

Group C-21
Akira Tokizawa Eden of the East vs.
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
Choosing: Akira
Because
Dorcas_Aurelia is right, it is misleading to label Akira as rich kid and dismiss him like that. Akira accomplishes many things based on the force of his personality, he can convince the pants off you, and he convince those who have withdrawn from society to re-enter it. If it wasn't for Spike, Akira should be a shoe-in to win his group. His charisma is unbeatable, he has an enthralling presence, he's likable, kind and good-hearted, and decisive and spontaneous. He also play the cool, calm route when needed and can bust a joke without making himself the butt of it.

Fee's a great character, too, and but she hardly stands out in her cast, and her character reeks of mudaneness, but perhaps that's her fault. I also agree that Yuri would be a better pick than this tough and laid back under-appreciated space truck driver that has a nasty temper from time to time.

Group C-22
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach vs.
Rin Tohsaka, Fate/stay night vs.
Roy Focker, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross/Robotech
Choosing: Roy
Because Based on the guide and what people said about him earlier.

Group C-23
November 11, Darker Than BLACK vs.
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Choosing: November 11
Because Okay, he may not be able to convince the pants off you, but he can be just as intimidating and powerful in the presence regardless if he's not wearing anything below the belt. Smooth, charismatic, and almost no insecurities at all, Nov 11 is a strong pick, with a loud personality and striking poise.

Group C-24
Reinhard von Lohengramm, Legend of the Galactic Heroes vs.
Roger Smith, The Big O
Choosing: Reinhard von Lohengramm
Because It is a tribute to this character's merits that he remains competitive despite from being drowned by obscurity that his series burdens him with. Hardworking, talented, brilliant, just, altruistic, complemented by an appeal aesthetic and a powerful presence that is alluring to anyone friend and foe alike; there's a reason behind why he has so much support.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Match C-17: Admiral Spoor (Crest/ Banner of the Stars franchise)

Match C-18: Medicine Seller (Ayakashi, Mononoke)

Match C-19: The Count (Gankutsuou: Count of Monte Cristo)

Match C-20: Taichi Keaton (Master Keaton)

Match C-21: Akira Takezawa (Eden of the East)
Much as I enjoyed Fee from Planetes, she doesn't come close to having the amount of charisma and charm that Akira has. From persuading a complete stranger to giving up their pants to him while in the first episode to spoiler[convincing all the naked NEETs that he was the bad guy in the final episode], it's not everyday you get a character like Akira in an anime.

Match C-22: Roy Focker (Macross)

Match C-23: Utena Tenjou (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Match C-24: Roger Smith (The Big O)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Olliff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
Match C-17: Kino (Kino's Journey)

Tough choice! This decision comes to down to whether you prefer your cool characters mellow, and unwavering in their calmness, or bold in your face and full of life and vivacious spirit. Kino's true neutral tendencies and amorality are cool and unique, but occasionally I wonder if she's this way because she doesn't want to make a tough moral decision. I still favor her because I think Spoor is little too overbearing and intense to be consider top notch cool. I wouldn't go as far to say its unchecked arrogance, but just unchecked confidence.

Despite these weaknesses, I still think both characters deserve to make it to the third round.

Match C-18: Medicine Seller (Ayakashi, Mononoke)

Match C-19: The Count (Gankutsuou: Count of Monte Cristo)

Match C-20: Wolfwood (Trigun)

Keaton may be fleshed out more, but I thought Wolfwood with all of his flaws and strengths was not only more interesting, but more appealing as character even though he's rough around the edges. Keaton's breadth of skills are impressive, but the sometimes overly rigid structure and at time formulaic nature of his character is what holds him back for me.

Match C-21: Akira Takezawa (Eden of the East)
A smooth operator in everything he does, Akira is walking embodiment of cool, persuasiveness, and confidence that doesn't border on arrogance all at once. It doesn't hurt that his persuasion skills are so impressive that you would willingly give him the shirt off your back, ahem, I mean the pants off your legs. I also think his quirkiness adds a level of uniqueness and distinct style to his ability to exude coolness that makes his brand of cool novel and tough to beat.

Match C-22: Roy Focker (Macross)

Match C-23: Nov 11 (Darker than Black)

Nov 11 was the very first character that came to mind when this tournament was chosen. He's bold, brash, and nothing fazes him. He also manages to have style while wearing a suit or a birthday suit. Though a supporting character, whenever he's on the screen, his presence demands your attention; he leaves quite a strong impression. I think the same elements that make him a strong supporting character also make him a very cool character as well. His ineffable charm is as potent as it is captivating.

Match C-24: Reinhard (LOGH)
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:17 am Reply with quote
Guess I'd better get my votes in now, since I have downtime.

Unless otherwise stated, my justifications are all "see Olliff," as in most of these match-ups what he said is almost exactly what I would have said.

Group C-17
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.

Kino

Group C-18
Allen Schezar, Escaflowne franchise
vs.

Medicine Seller is winning handily here, but why? I haven't seen any substantive arguments supporting him that I can remember. The dashing Allen Schezar, OTOH, is the epitome of knightly, bishonen cool. He doesn't panic even in the most trying situations and does his best to protect people and promote the interests of his country. That he is beloved (to some degree or another) by most of the series' female characters certainly doesn't hurt.

Group C-19
Yuuko Ichihara, xxxHolic, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle
vs.

The Count. Way too many style points for him to go down this early. I am quite surprised that this one isn't more competitive, though.

Group C-20
Nicholas Wolfwood, Trigun
vs.

Wolfwood

Group C-21
Akira Tokizawa Eden of the East
vs.
Fee Carmichal, Planetes

Akira. In addition to Olliff's comments, I never thought that Fee was that strong a competitor anyway.

Group C-22
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
Rin Tohsaka, Fate/stay night
vs.

Roy Focker. Probably should add Macross Zero to his credits, since he did also have a significant appearance in that.

Group C-23
November 11, Darker Than BLACK
vs.

November 11. Utena's got some major creds, but she shows a bit of vulnerability on this front in the late stages of the series. November 11 never does.

Group C-24
Reinhard von Lohengramm Legend of the Galactic Heroes
vs.
Roger Smith, The Big O

This is the other place where I break with Olliff. Roger Smith is a pretty damn cool customer: he's classy, capable, and pilots one of his setting's most prominent giant robots. Reinhard, from what I've heard about him, doesn't more than match Rogher's merits, so I give the edge to the one I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
He doesn't panic even in the most trying situations and does his best to protect people.

The same thing can be said about Medicine Seller.

Medicine Seller strongest point is his personal charm, he has a lot of it, enough to bury Allen, if it materialized. And occasionally he says something unexpected that makes other characters do a 180-degree turn of opinion about him, which makes his character even more intriguing, fascinating and cool.

As far as Reinhard is concerned, he became the ruler of the empire and destroyed the status quo that existed for years. That’s a cool and remarkable feat.

I don’t know what else I can add to what I wrote in the previous round, maybe that Lelouch is the poor man's Reinhard. The biggest difference is the fact that Reinhard didn’t need to take a peep at the screenplay to achieve his goal and if there are similarities between these two they don't make Reinhard less great and the differences only make him look much cooler in comparison.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I don’t know what else I can add to what I wrote in the previous round, maybe that Lelouch is the poor man's Reinhard. The biggest difference is the fact that Reinhard didn’t need to take a peep at the screenplay to achieve his goal and if there are similarities between these two they don't make Reinhard less great and the differences only make him look much cooler in comparison.

It's practically a given that I'm going to vote for Reinhard here, no question, but considering they come from two very different shows (one of which is more realistic and based on a preexisting novel aimed at an older audience) and face very different problems (Reinhard is a conqueror who rises within the ranks of the Empire rather than an exiled would-be rebel), that's not exactly an accurate way to represent either character in my opinion. Wink Not that there aren't any parallels but they're not supposed to be equivalent either. And, of course, I do think Lelouch's pretty cool in spite of the outcome of his match.

As far as this tournament is concerned though, what Reinhard needs is to be "cooler" than Roger Smith, not Lelouch, and the rest of the opponents he'll have to fight against in upcoming rounds.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:

As far as this tournament is concerned though, what Reinhard needs is to be "cooler" than Roger Smith, not Lelouch, and the rest of the opponents he'll have to fight against in upcoming rounds.

I know, but I haven’t seen The Big O, so it’s hard for me to compare these two. Not that it makes me less confident that Reinhard may not be the better choice. Reinhard is a solid top contender, I have no doubt about it.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Group C-17
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.
Vote For Letopanyu Spoor

Group C-18
vs.
Based on Key comments Vote For Allen Schezar

Group C-19
vs.
Vote For The Count
Like marie-antoinette, I don't think Yuuko deserves to be here at all. I find there were many scenes, where I find Yuuko to be just plain annoying and much of a comic relief character, while the Count stay calm and cool for most of the series.

Group C-20
vs.
Vote For Nicholas Wolfwood

Group C-21
vs.
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
Vote For Akira Tokizawa

Group C-22
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
vs.
Vote For Roy Focker

Group C-23
vs.
Vote For November 11

Group C-24
vs.
Roger Smith, The Big O
Vote For Reinhard von Lohengramm
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Once again voting kind of late, I actually didn't think I'd be able to make it at all, but a schedule change lets me slip in before the deadline.

Group C-17
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.
My vote: Kino
The arguments for Spoor are actually a bit more convincing to me so far, but the stuff I've heard about Kino beforehand make me still give her a slight edge.

Group C-18
vs.
My vote: Medicine Seller
He seems cool.

Group C-19
vs.
My vote: The Count
I don't think there's much of a contest here, actually.

Group C-20
vs.
My vote: Taichi Keaton
Some compelling arguments for Keaton.

Group C-21
vs.
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
My vote: Akira Tokizawa

Group C-22
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
vs.
My vote: Kyouraku Shunsui
Looks like he'll lose, but I got to give Shunsui the vote here.

Group C-23
vs.
My vote: Utena Tenjou
Good arguments for both, but Mylene's post tipped the scales in Utena's favor.

Group C-24
vs.
Roger Smith, The Big O[/quote]
My vote: Roger Smith
Because he's pretty much batman with a big robot.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's my flu partially talking but I just never got excited about this round. Sorry, skipping this time around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Group C-17
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.

Kino is actually one of the aloof character archetypes I really like since she actually is cool and badass at the same time. She has her own "rules" and is deadly with a six-shooter and knives.

Oh, there is also a talking motorcycle involved as well.

My vote goes to: Kino.

Group C-18
vs.

This is a guy that can help you if you do not mind cleaning out your closet. If something goes wrong, he knows he left out some important details. Either you reveal your deepest darkest secret(s) or an angry spirit/demon/goblin will do their supernatural thing involving your death in a gruesome way. Your choice.

My vote goes to: Medicine Seller.

Group C-19
vs.

My vote goes to: Yuuko Ichihara.

Group C-20
vs.

My vote goes to: Taichi Keaton.

Group C-21
vs.
Fee Carmichal, Planetes

My vote goes to: Akira Tokizawa.

Group C-22
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
vs.

My vote goes to: Roy Focker.

Group C-23
vs.

My vote goes to: November 11.

Group C-24
vs.
Roger Smith, The Big O

My vote goes to: Reinhard von Lohengramm.
~~EpiC~~

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Group C-17
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.

Kino

I've never seen Kino lose her cool. Also, Spoor's kind of a nutter. As much as I like Spoor, I'm going to take points off for that.

Group C-18
vs.

Medicine Seller

Well, I personally don't feel like Allen's THAT cool. Everything has been said about the Medicine Seller already that needs to be.

Group C-19
vs.

The Count

Group C-20
vs.

Keaton

I've never really cared that much for Wolfwood. I haven't seen Keaton, but everything I've heard about him in this tournament and the last makes him sound more than worthy enough.

Group C-21
vs.
Fee Carmichal, Planetes

Akira Tokizawa
One of the most charismatic, if not THE most charismatic charactrer in anime.

Group C-22
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
vs.

Shunsui
. His composure makes him the coolest character in Bleach. Rin was okay I guess. And Roy Focker, meh, I barely remember him.

Group C-23
vs.

November 11.

Group C-24
vs.
Roger Smith, The Big O

Reinhard von Lohengramm.

Bruce Wayne is cool, don't get me wrong, but I've seen both series and Bruce Wayne's feats do not compare to what Reinhard achieves. Reinhard's charisma is top tier, too. Anyway, everyone knows Bruce Wayne's coolest when he's Batman, and I don't really feel there is a Batman in The Big O, only a Bruce.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Group C-17
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.

Voting for: Letopanyu Spoor.

Talk about opposites. Kino's great at keeping her composure and Spoor's all about losing it, but who ever said that was supposed to be a bad thing? You could say I've always had a soft spot for mercurial characters, male or female alike, and that trend is going to continue. Nevertheless, I absolutely respect the arguments in Kino's favor and wouldn't complain at all if Spoor loses.

Group C-18
vs.

Voting for: Medicine Seller

Someone might want to assume I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt...and that would be correct. Neither outcome is really that important or motivating for me at this point in time.

Group C-19
vs.

Voting for: The Count.

While I haven't seen any recent arguments in favor of Yuuko at all and, what's more, I'm completely unfamiliar with the series she comes from, she doesn't sound too bad on paper...but still comes off as passive and apparently lacks the specific combination of charm, malice and intellect that makes the Count not only a pleasure to watch but also a terrifying threat.

Group C-20
vs.

Voting for: Taichi Keaton

Less of a vote against Wolfwood and more of a vote in favor of the under-appreciated Keaton and his absolutely impressive set of skills.

Group C-21
vs.
Fee Carmichal, Planetes

Voting for: Akira Takezawa

I do feel a bit sorry for Fee here, but the arguments so far have grudgingly convinced me that Akira is the better choice, although perhaps not necessarily by too much in the long run. We'll have to see if future opponents allow him to move on so easily.

Group C-22
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
vs.

Voting for: Rin Tohsaka

Roy deserves to win here, by all means, and is probably the strongest pick on paper but I'm not particularly interested in him aside from his one big moment. That being the case, I'm giving my vote to Rin in light of my indifference towards Bleach and lacking any sufficiently convincing reasons to reconsider. Rin's not exactly a great contender in the grand scheme of things but she's not entirely uncool either.

Group C-23
vs.

Voting for: Utena Tenjou

November 11 might have style points, including a smooth attitude to go with his considerable skill...but I don't think he's anywhere near as iconic nor as interesting as Utena. She does have moments of doubt and weakness, but I think I've made it quite clear that character flaws don't necessarily make someone "uncool" in my book...particularly when Utena eventually overcomes them and even pulls off some incredibly heroic feats against seemingly impossible odds in the process.

Group C-24
vs.
Roger Smith, The Big O

Voting for: Reinhard von Lohengramm

I imagine that most people haven't seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes here, but the percentage should logically be higher than among the general ANN population. Nevertheless, while Reinhard doesn't seem to need my vote, I'm giving it to him all the same. Roger Smith does have a certain Bruce Wayne/Batman aura and a versatile yet powerful mecha, to say the least, but his role is comparatively limited in both scope and scale. Not an inherently bad thing, strictly speaking, but I'm not going to vote against the likes of Reinhard unless the competitor is truly exceptional.

To make a long story short...He's ambitious but also quite capable. You literally see Reinhard rise through the ranks and, after achieving a position of power, face both political and military challenges on a regular basis with a fair amount of competence and, for lack of a better word, passion. While the guy doesn't always make the best choices -Yang Wen-li is superior as a calm and collected battlefield commander- and is occasionally overcome by emotion, generally speaking it's actually quite possible to understand where Reinhard's coming from and why he acts the way he does.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping I'm getting this just in the nick of time (as opposed to too late).
Group C-17
Kino, Kino’s Journey
vs.
Pick: Kino

Group C-18
vs.
Pick: Allen Schezar

Group C-19
vs.
Pick: The Count

Group C-20
vs.
Pick: Taichi Keaton - here's an instance where familiarity with a character works against him. I'm more familiar with Nicholas, and I do not like him, therefore vote goes to Taichi.

Group C-21
vs.
Fee Carmichal, Planetes
Pick: Fee Carmichal - no way am I voting for Akira Takizawa after he unjustifiably denied victory for one of my tournament favorites. Very uncool Twisted Evil

Group C-22
Kyouraku Shunsui, Bleach
vs.
vs.
Pick: Roy Focker

Group C-23
vs.
Pick: Utena Tenjou - well I had voted for both in previous match-ups against others. So this is a close decision for me. I'm a sucker for a girl in a uniform I guess, and for me beats nudity any day.

Group C-24
vs.
Roger Smith, The Big O
Pick: Roger Smith - yup
farichada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
Vote is late. Sad

Last edited by farichada on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 53