• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teofilusSW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:32 am Reply with quote
The webtoon is great, my life is changing after reading the majority of 100-chapters of coming-of-age stories, especially for me who have watched Idoly Pride, Wonder Egg Priority, and Akebi-chan no Sailor Fuku.

But they don't give the complete list of casts and staffs, to be honest, ...
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:55 am Reply with quote
Nicholas Dupree on VTuber Legend: How I Went Viral after Forgetting to Turn Off My Stream

Quote:
I feel like there's a better show in here somewhere.

There is. It's called Wave Listen to Me! That said, this was entertaining enough for a start anyway. Hopefully it goes a little deeper at some point, though. Or maybe the other VTubers will liven things up some. (A million shows would be improved by having a Carol Osten.) I enjoyed it, but they need a bit more oomph to engage me for 12 episodes.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:05 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Dungeon People a lot more before it hit its gimmick. Crying or Very sad My interest collapsed along with the minotaur's wall...
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:22 am Reply with quote
One thing I've really come to dread with the growth of the anime industry is anime every season ending up in licensing hell. Last season it was Girls Band Cry, the season prior it was Pon no Michi, the season before that was Dog Signal, and this season it looks to be Grendizer. I get that anime is probably really expensive to license for streaming services, but if the Japanese companies couldn't find a company to make it available in the West, could they make it available on a service like YouTube or Dailymotion with subtitles?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:31 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
One thing I've really come to dread with the growth of the anime industry is anime every season ending up in licensing hell. Last season it was Girls Band Cry, the season prior it was Pon no Michi, the season before that was Dog Signal, and this season it looks to be Grendizer. I get that anime is probably really expensive to license for streaming services, but if the Japanese companies couldn't find a company to make it available in the West, could they make it available on a service like YouTube or Dailymotion with subtitles?

Streaming on YouTube is unlikely to recoup the cost of a good translation.
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I wasn’t expecting Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant to make it in the preview guide. That’s a pleasant surprise
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Isekai Dazai: Something about the "otherworld selection truck" just made me so bummed out. And i don't mean it's usage in the story: the thing about selecting depressed people. I think just the acknowledgment of the "truck-kun" meme in-universe kind of ruined my mood. Which is a shame because i had genuinely chuckled at a few jokes before that scene. IMO the self-referential nature of modern isekai might be one of the genres worst recurring elements.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:48 pm Reply with quote
And there we have one of those elusive shows with 12 minute episodes. I would personally like more of them since some shows (especially those based on 4-koma manga) would work better with that shortened duration. Anyway, Archenemies is a pretty cute show with some dark humor sprinkled on top of it. The romance between the walking mess of a Magical Girl and the in crisis evil officer is fun. The magical girl is struggling to survive with several jobs (and her magical girl mascot seems evil as hell) but seems to be a decent person and the evil officer is having a life crisis after having fallen in love.

It seems like a simple story but given the shorter episodes, vibrant look and the fun premise I am sticking with it.
ktarf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, mocking a real person's memoir of suffering to make a comedy is very disrespectful. Maybe it's because I empathize with Dazai more than most people (lucky them), but even though I'm fine with everything and anything within fiction, the direct real-life connection here does leave me with a bad taste.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
No Longer Allowed In Another World is by the same author as Love After World Domination which aired in Spring 2022.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I can understand the moral problems with using Dazai for suicide gags like that. And all I'll say is: maybe we can blame Kafka Asagiri, Bones and everyone who let Bungo Stray Dogs get away with it enough that Bungou is a big franchise with several spinoffs (one of which has a live action movie), and the anime has several seasons and a movie. The controversial gags weren't enough to get Bungo cancelled and then, this gives people the idea "this is OK, actually. Won't get me in trouble".

I mean, there's a crossover promo for this show and BSD with both Dazais, so: yeah.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 1:37 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Oh, I wasn’t expecting Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant to make it in the preview guide. That’s a pleasant surprise

ANN established a policy several years ago where anything half-length or longer would get a separate PG entry. Half-lengths even occasionally get weekly episode reviews, too, though that's less common.

Blanchimont wrote:
No Longer Allowed In Another World is by the same author as Love After World Domination which aired in Spring 2022.

Though I have confirmed this detail, this still flummoxes me, as I didn't notice any significant stylistic similarity between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:10 pm Reply with quote
MahoAku: Fun and cute. Mira lost turn one and it wasn't even close.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Though I have confirmed this detail, this still flummoxes me, as I didn't notice any significant stylistic similarity between the two.

I mean, they're both extremely specific send-ups of their respective genre's core tropes.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Key wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

I mean, they're both extremely specific send-ups of their respective genre's core tropes.

The same author & artist team as both titles also made "The Mermaid Princess's Guilty Meal"/"Ningyohime no Gomen ne Gohan" which is about a mermaid princess who develops a taste for seafood and starts secretly going to the surface world to eat her (sentient) fish subjects that have been fished by humans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 29