• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bod Squad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
I've been curious about First Squad but reviews for it have been pretty tepid. I've said that I don't mind dumb or nonsensical plots in my action movies/anime, but only if the action is frequent and totally rocks (Mission Impossible 4 is the perfect example of this formula) What scares me off is that people say there really isn't a whole lot of standout scenes in terms of action in FS.

I've also heard some complaints about the source material being Russian propaganda, but I wouldn't mind that as long as the action is good.
The action is sequences are fun in a cheesy way, but not non-stop, and they certainly don't save a film that has absolutely no real ending to speak of. If you have a Netflix subscription, watch it there and don't waste money.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the whole, Bodacious Space Pirates reminds me favorably of another fun space-comedy-adventure, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. If you're into one of these titles and haven't heard of the other, give the alternate a shot. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Tylor is one of my favorite series, so with a recommendation like that, I guess I'll have to check it out.
Panda-s1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
On the whole, Bodacious Space Pirates reminds me favorably of another fun space-comedy-adventure, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. If you're into one of these titles and haven't heard of the other, give the alternate a shot. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Tylor is one of my favorite series, so with a recommendation like that, I guess I'll have to check it out.

Yeah, Bodacious Space Pirates definitely has that old school space opera vibe to it. I mean not completely, you can tell it was made for a modern audience, but the fact that it's directed by the guy who did Nadesico helps. Also explains why American fans love it, while Japanese fans are kinda meh about it, lol.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Had to drop Moretsu Pirates after seven episodes. When a series becomes such a chore to watch that I would rather clean the kitchen - literally - than view the next episode, then it is time to throw in the towel. I can sometimes handle being bored, I can sometimes handle being annoyed, but I just do not have the maturity to simultaneously handle both.

And when it comes to entertainment, which is supposed to make me feel happy, I shouldn't have to have the patience of a saint. If a series truly ain't working after seven episodes it should get the kick in the pants.

----------

Hey Erin, I used that method of focusing on one good part while watching Telepathy Shoujo Ran. The actual show was pretty crap but I focused on the always hilarious and eminently watchable character of Midori. Her antics were always the highlight of each episode.

And you know what? Because of her I finished the show. And you know what else? I wished I'd dropped it after episode three which was effing terrible. Yes, Midori was a superb character, but because of her I wasted something like five-hundred and -seventy-five extra minutes of my life. She just wasn't enough to make up for all the crap. If she hadn't been there, or if she hadn't been so good, I would have bailed at a sensible point.

Now, the method may work for you in a professional capacity because it will help sugarcoat all the horrible perishable titles you are asked to watch. But it will not necessarily make those titles any better in retrospect. Just consider that advice from someone who's been there.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Covnam"]
Quote:

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor is awesome, Both my copies are currently loaned out to friends seeing it for the first time. In fact, just about everyone in my anime club has seen it thanks to me and all have loved it and most have had different opinions on the worth of the main character, which is a wonderful thing. Highly recommended to everyone reading this.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Panda-s1 wrote:
Yeah, Bodacious Space Pirates definitely has that old school space opera vibe to it. I mean not completely, you can tell it was made for a modern audience, but the fact that it's directed by the guy who did Nadesico helps. Also explains why American fans love it, while Japanese fans are kinda meh about it, lol.

This was actually true for the first month or so in terms of otaku reaction. However, after episode 5 aired Mouretsu Pirates has pretty much always been in the top 100 DVD list on Amazon.jp. Here's a graph that shows this drastic increase. Pirates is now looking to be one of the highest sellers of winter season.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Is there any particular reason episode 5 spiked interest so much?

I'm going to be cynical and assume that it was a fanservice episode.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Yep. It was the end of the first story arc. It also features a pretty (not very action-oriented) cool conclusion to a battle wherein the main character spoiler[maneuvers the sails of the spaceship to act as an Archimedes Death Ray].

The fanservice episode (if an episode could be called one) would probably be episode 2 or 3, whichever one had them doing the spacewalk.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This was actually true for the first month or so in terms of otaku reaction. However, after episode 5 aired Mouretsu Pirates has pretty much always been in the top 100 DVD list on Amazon.jp. Here's a graph that shows this drastic increase. Pirates is now looking to be one of the highest sellers of winter season.

Well hurray! I don't imagine that it means much for us since Sentai Filmworks has already announced that it will release the series on DVD and Blu-ray disc, but it warms the cockles of my heart a little to see it succeed in its homeland.

Should I be concerned if my heart has inflamed cockles?

Chagen46 wrote:
Is there any particular reason episode 5 spiked interest so much?

I'm going to be cynical and assume that it was a fanservice episode.

There is almost no fanservice in Bodacious Space Pirates. Aside from one adult character, who's pretty badass, that the camera halfheartedly tried to leer at once or twice in some early episodes and some awkward scenes involving suspiciously skin-tight spacesuits in episode three, which one of the characters at least exasperatedly put a lampshade on, it's been refreshingly free of the stuff. Well, unless you're like me and think that gloriously theatrical pirate costumes count as fanservice.

It's a show starring mostly schoolgirls that's derived from a novel series entitled Miniskirt Space Pirates that thus far has not had any panty shots. In a weird way, that's a thrill for me.

Episode five was the culmination of the first story arc; it showed Marika gamely passing her first test as a leader and was laced with cool moments. Most of those following the series here (episode five discussion beings here) seemed to regard it as something of a watershed episode that won some doubters over and reassured those who had already bought into it.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
Bodacious Space Pirates: I rather liked the first arc, and I am still enjoying the series. I think this is the most careful writing I have ever seen in an anime. Technological issues are presented methodically, in anticipation of their use in the plot. spoiler[(In the first arc this happens with both the hacking and the solar sails).] I also really like the way the author is trying to use the legacy of piracy. Pirates have a clumsy stereotype (rum, eyepatches, parrots, and"yaarh"), but the author rejects those to emphasize other aspects of the legacy (the letters of Remarque, and especially the stories of life at sea). Also spoiler[by episode 10 it seems pretty clear that the pirate shows were a bit of a red herring. Those were very easy jobs that pirates could do, so the Bentenmaru was doing them while Marika was in training. Clearly there are much more serious jobs that are also available, but jumping into those with a Captain-in-training would be too dangerous -- not to mention Marika still has school in the morning.]

Very well stated! I think the show just keeps getting better. I love the fact that Marika and the crew of the Bentenmaru spoiler[have taken on a serious mission over school break, even providing a cover story for both Marika and the princess to sneak off and do their pirating without the general populace knowing. (And seeing Chiaki in the flamboyant Pirate Captain suit was a hoot! "I'm not enjoying this!" Right!!!)]

Possibly the best scene in the recent episodes was the dinner scene with the Bentenmaru crew, Ririka, and the princess. spoiler[When Marika reached up and spun the display hologram and stated flatly that the time for talk was over, it was time to act, she really took a big step into the shoes of her father! The crew seemed a bit surprised by it, and, I think, pleased.]

Megiddo wrote:
Yep. It was the end of the first story arc. It also features a pretty (not very action-oriented) cool conclusion to a battle wherein the main character spoiler[maneuvers the sails of the spaceship to act as an Archimedes Death Ray].

The fanservice episode (if an episode could be called one) would probably be episode 2 or 3, whichever one had them doing the spacewalk.

That was a great episode! I love the low fan service level of this show. I also love the fact that the author of the light novels is actually an award winning Science Fiction author. He doesn't just right light novels. Most of his work is more of the serious SF nature. It shows!
AnimeFollower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
Erin, you said that you were on the fence about Tenchi Muyo OVA being shelf-worthy. Well, allow me to help you off of that fence.

To go by your own criteria, Tenchi Muyo OVA is very re-watchable. The storyline and the humor are very good, even by today's standards. Some sweet extras are the music used in the show. I mean, Ryoko has a theme, Ayaka has a theme, and even the background music is excellent. I have only two words for you where the quality of the music is concerned: Saint Sasami. I would loan my dvds of the series to my friends, but I got the dvds back in the late nineties. I never bought anime vhs tapes. My first anime purchase was the four-dvd set of Tenchi Muyo OVA by Pioneer for $89.99. The regular price being $129.99!

I may not have convinced you, but writing this means I will now rewatch Tenchi Muyo again.

Thanks!
Necrontry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:08 am Reply with quote
Kind of surprised that First Squad - Moment of Truth made shelf worthy. It was good geeky fun, good animation, couldn't really care much about the characters or plot though. The mockumentary was a detraction to my overall enjoyment of the OAV it interrupted the pace of the story somewhat pleasantly some of it commenting on the nature of the film style being used and some of the 'history' surround the characters at the given time all in Russian... it just really kept me from being immersed in the story. I think next time I'll have to watch the short version, maybe I would enjoy it more.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
Without reading the article, this came to my head!

I'm so far gone!
Panda-s1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Panda-s1 wrote:

Oh good, this kinda restores my faith in Japanese fans, as well as my hopes of a second season. Honestly, ever since I got back into the anime game, I came to grips with the reality that whether or not a series will continue is entirely in the hands of Japanese otaku (okay only sorta), and while sometimes this is almost guaranteed (waitin' on that third season of Index), the disparity in interests means I'll never see a second season of some of my favorite shows (oh Nichijou, it was nice knowing you...).
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
There's only seven volumes in the series thus far(it's still ongoing, quoth Wikipedia), so it's not terribly likely for BSP to get a sequel, but Slayers has managed to go three times that on about the same amount of material(IIRC, only Try was anime-original, ignoring "filler"), so it's possible depending on how fast they burn through canon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4