• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NISA to Omit Recap Episode From Kimi no Todoke Vol. 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I am sorry but this does not fly with me.

Well someone's intolerant. Your attitude is exactly the kind of thing that NISA was afraid of. They did nothing wrong and you are complaining about a recap episode being excluded. They would have put it in if it was financially viable but it wasn't, but that's just not good enough for you now is it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I am sorry but this does not fly with me. This kind of situation has the same problem as censorship; whose to say down the line a company will start deciding oh episode so and so is not needed because it really does not contribute anything to the story; or what if they did that with books or other media. Considering how much NIS charges, I know I buy games from them all the time, how but instead of some stupid pencil boards or artbook (I collect Video games, so I have a ton of artbooks, I have honestly never looked at a single one of them) they stick into there CE editions, you actually have all the episodes.

Sentai I company I actually like charges like 30 for 13 episodes, while NIS charges 50 even for a none CE from what I recall.

And its not like it will cost you any less, they are not going to discount the set because of the one episode, so I see no reason to give them a pass.

CrownKlown: At least NISA is being completely honest here. Very few companies (let alone anime companies) are this honest anymore, so for that, I give NISA credit for. This level of honesty and openness is hardly ever seen these days, so I find this very refreshing to be able to see this again.

I've been buying NISA games for over a decade and recently started buying their anime as well. You have to remember though, while NISA is a large video game company, in terms of anime, that section isn't as large.

If including this recap episode was financially feasible, NISA would include that with the DVD, but at least that is all that being omitted form this DVD.

It's not that I don't see where your coming from, but I also see this from NISA's point of view as well.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I have some reservations with this explanation myself.

By NISA's projected release date of the second set, the Japanese BD release will have been out for a little over six months. Certainly NISA was apprised of the inclusion of the 16th episode in that release even before then.

US companies used to be able to get 3 or 4 full DVD singles of a series released during that same time period. NISA can't append one single episode somewhere on one of the discs in that amount of time? As a (mostly) recap episode, I don't imagine it even needed much translation or script-work at all. I know nothing about DVD/BD production or release timelines, but I still think they could and should have been able to get it on there if they really wanted to.

This was their initial explanation on their forums: "We're not including the recap show because it's just that - a recap. It doesn't have any new content (and the "next episode" preview for the previous episode skips right over it) so in the interest of saving time and resources, we decided not to include it. A recap episode makes sense for TV, when each episode has a week-long gap in between, but it's not quite as necessary when you can literally watch one episode right after the other."
http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8209

I believe that... aside from the fact that the episode does include some original content, as I understand it. And even if it didn't, IIRC it's unheard of to omit recaps in American releases. What a fun new precedent.

I'm still disappointed, though the new response makes up for it at least a little. =/
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote
I am defiantly going to buy this series as a Limited edition now. I don't care that much about the recap episode I was somewhat annoyed by it when it first came out fan subbed. this is one of my favorite series and I wasn't sure if I wanted to pay that much for it though. but now I want to also support NIS due to their honesty and sincerity. we don't know how long ago the discs for this release started to be made so I don't think we can really comment on that portion of the problem, I want to show them thanks for dealing with me in such a respectful manner, for a minor problem that was not there fault.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
Perhaps a solution could be including it with season 2?

I second this idea.
southplumb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
When I watch an anime again, I usually watch every episode in order, so I'm disappointed to hear that this release will be incomplete, but at least NIS gave a plausible explanation. I don't really remember this episode, but if it was important enough to broadcast, it is important enough to include on DVD.

Also, surely I'm not the only person who noticed that there is a typo in the article's title?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
southplumb wrote:
I don't really remember this episode, but if it was important enough to broadcast, it is important enough to include on DVD.

That's not how it works. Recap episodes are only important in that it gives the staffers a breather week to catch up on things. They ostensibly allow viewers who are new to the broadcast a chance to catch up on what has happened. Recap episodes are never important enough to be put on the DVD (although they almost always are), unless the episode has significant new content.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3