• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why ANN Is Against SOPA/PIPA

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote
For decades the American public has acted like a sleeping giant. Lately, it appears many have awakened from this long slumber in time to try to save what precious few civil liberties remain.

Keep up the fight to kill PIPA and SOPA.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
The truly sad thing about SOPA is that if it fails, it will return again in a few years in a slightly tweaked form, and will continue to do so many times, like a monster that keeps coming back in sequels, although you were sure it was killed off before.

You do know how to prevent it right? Make it so that people who pirate things instead of actually buying the product are ostracized.

Is Sopa a misguided bill? Yes, but let's not act like the government is some cackling overseer trying to take over your lives. It's simply misguided regulation.

If people took this same level of hatred to piracy as they do this bill thanb not only would we not be in this situation, we would be able to save niche products.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
The truly sad thing about SOPA is that if it fails, it will return again in a few years in a slightly tweaked form, and will continue to do so many times, like a monster that keeps coming back in sequels, although you were sure it was killed off before.

You do know how to prevent it right? Make it so that people who pirate things instead of actually buying the product are ostracized.

And, another way to help mitigate piracy is if these media companies actually learned to adapt their business model by offering legal, convenient, competitive ways to obtain their media for the majority of consumers.

For example, Warner Brothers recently extending the delay period netflix and other rental places can offer new movies to their subscriber base. That's just silly.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

WRONG ANSWER!!

The right answer is that the companies need to adapt to the ever growing tastes of the consumer and not hold on to outdated ideals and tactics. Instead of blanket criminalizing consumers, try to entice consumers that encourages them to go legit and make illegal options unattractive.

Pointless lawsuits and grandstanding via SOPA/PIPA only serves to alienate them further and cause such a reaction like this.

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
calimike wrote:
I support SOPA. Call for ANN shut down for pirate... I praised ICE for courage and bravery!

I hope you're joking.

@blood: Thanks for that link, I guess the protest is gaining attention. Let keep it up, folks. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

WRONG ANSWER!!

The right answer is that the companies need to adapt to the ever growing tastes of the consumer and not hold on to outdated ideals and tactics. Instead of blanket criminalizing consumers, try to entice consumers that encourages them to go legit and make illegal options unattractive.

Pointless lawsuits and grandstanding via SOPA/PIPA only serves to alienate them further and cause such a reaction like this.

And then when they do adapt the pirates move the goalpost claiming they want the company to do more.

Pirates are not consumers, they are simply people who demand that the world go out of their way to please them.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

WRONG ANSWER!!

And then when they do adapt the pirates move the goalpost claiming they want the company to do more.

Pirates are not consumers, they are simply people who demand that the world go out of their way to please them.

For the people who always pirate, they are not your consumers. The people who need to be won over are casual pirates. Give them a legal alternative that's more attractive than pirating.

That's why I brought up the Warner Brothers example as something that doesn't help because someone who wants to watch the movie can easily download it off the net. If more and more movie companies do that...then what's the attraction of Netflix of Redbox besides renting old movies? You'll lose subscribers because they (people who wouldn't consider buying, but would rent or stream) can't watch a newly released movie on DVD or BD or streaming in a timely fashion.

Last edited by superdry on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Nice article. This was the first time I've read about SOPA on a website in a way that wasn't over the top left wing, "the world will be destroyed and the economy will be reduced to $0" rhetoric.

I appreciate the calm, pragmatic opposition too. This is bad policy and there's no need or good reason to resort to histrionics against it. I had been dismissive of these protests, but it seems that they might have been effective, so I am content to reconsider my dismissal.

SOPA/PIPA aren't part of some evil master plan to destroy the internet concocted by cackling megalomaniacs in basalt doom fortresses hidden in volcanoes, unless you really want to stretch some metaphors, it's actually something worse, a entirely mundane attempt by established firms to use government force to intervene in the market to suppress competition.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I am against SOPA/PIPA, but I understand this issue from both sides of the aisle -- as a consumer and as an aspiring artist.

I want to be able to see AMVs or whatever because the best are really creative and can make you look at a series or movie in an entirely new light. I also want avenues to see things I might not be able to see in rural America otherwise.

I also want my creative properties to be protected from outright thievery on the Internet. A lot of work goes into my writing, and I don't want to go to some Web site and see my story with someone else's name on it, and know that person is making money off my sweat.

Technology, as usual, has far exceeded law/society. We need a happy medium where artists can continue to create and make a living off of their creations, but other people's creativity isn't shut down. SOPA/PIPA isn't the answer.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

SOPA/PIPA aren't part of some evil master plan to destroy the internet concocted by cackling megalomaniacs in basalt doom fortresses hidden in volcanoes, unless you really want to stretch some metaphors, it's actually something worse, an attempt by vested interests to use government force to intervene in the market to suppress competition.

oh please, people who take other people's work and offer it for free are not competition, and people who make low budget movies are not competition for Hollywood. Web comics like Penny-Arcade are not competition for marvel or DC comics, no one (at least sane) as ever thought "I could buy this comic book about Spider-man trying to cure everyone from being a giant spider or I could read a comic strip about two guys talking about video games well the the latter is free so I won't buy Spider-Island".

Twitter and google are not going into the movie making business anytime soon, so they are not going to take money away from Disney that arguement is ludicrous.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
ANN, especially Chirs, you have my full support. I absolutely hate over the top censorship.

Seriously SOPA/PIPA, why don't you focus on the real issue (i.e. the actual pirates) and leave those not involved ALONE.

This is coming from a person that is computer literate and once I finish my bachelor's in computer science, a future Computer Systems Analyst.

Not everyone who watches anime/ reads manga is a pirate, a great deal of said fans actually buy the anime and manga. I know I do when I have the spare cash. It's not easy finding that money, but SOPA/PIPA or whatever you call yourself, blanket statements help no one.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
SOPA scares the s*it out of me.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I find this argument amusing, especially because I spent $500 on anime related products in the last month. I guess I'm just not a real consumer.

If you want a non-techy, non-left wing explanation of why PIPA/SOPA sucks, read this. I find the analogy to phone lines quite apropos. There are several other post on Cato slamming the bills, if you are interested. I am glad to see ANN join the protest, especially because a News site should be concerned about all threats to the first amendment.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

It only appears this way because "pirates" are not a single person or group but an arrangement of different individuals all acting in their own interest. So while some of them are happy with certain things like streaming online, etc. others of us were never promoting or calling for that or requesting it at at all. I made the point long before these things started to be standard that I just wasn't interested in streaming services. I like having the files because the internet streams stutter, isn't available when I'm offline, isn't available unless I keep paying, etc.

Charred Knight wrote:

Pirates are not consumers

This is false, most pirates are consumers. Pirates are far more likely to be buying media than non-pirates. There have been several studies on this in the past, and even had there not been it just makes sense. Why bother spending the time to download and watch things if you don't care. So many if not most pirates are buying some media, and typically buy more than the average person who isn't a pirate.

Charred Knight wrote:

they are simply people who demand that the world go out of their way to please them.

Guess who else does that? Consumers!

"The real bosses [under capitalism] are the consumers. They, by their buying and by their abstention from buying, decide who should own the capital and run the plants. They determine what should be produced and in what quantity and quality. Their attitudes result either in profit or in loss for the enterpriser. They make poor men rich and rich men poor. They are no easy bosses. They are full of whims and fancies, changeable and unpredictable. They do not care a whit for past merit. As soon as something is offered to them that they like better or is cheaper, they desert their old purveyors." - Ludwig von Mises

Charred Knight wrote:

people who take other people's work and offer it for free are not competition

A "work" is not a physical thing that is scarce. When you copy you don't take anything, you make a copy and the original is still "there."

What is "competition" is a subjective matter. They may consider goods roughly equivalent to them, that to you are entirely different things. But you can't say they are wrong on their own subjective evaluation of things.

Last edited by Xanas on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
FMABleach

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I was always supportive of ANN due to its reliable news source and that they credit all information they get when adding it to their posts. I also love reading about the latest anime and manga and that they keep us up to date with everything.

And now with them protesting against SOPA and PIPA, Anime News Network has earned my full respect and full support.

ANN, keep up the good work and DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12