• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So what did you learn from your anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuno_Shiki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
Anime does a fair bit to reveal bits and pieces of the Japanese culture between the subtitled originals and the English dubbed versions, actually. When you watch enough series you do naturally pick up some of the cultural traits that each one portrays in the interactions between characters and the things embedded into their natural settings. I've even picked up on a limited amount of the Japanese language from listening to the subtitled simulcasts and State-side releases coming out, enough to where I can ignore the subtitles and still have a rough understanding of the dialogue taking place.

Over the years, I've also personally learned to be more critical of the genres and story telling elements that are commonly repeated, though I'm not at the point of analyzing things to where I can discuss them at length.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
Oh, of course;
Female childhood friends never forget, but their male childhood friends always do.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:13 am Reply with quote
No, sometimes it is the other way around, and a male childhood friend remembers the promise that the female forgot.

Where the difference lies is that if the one to remember the promise is the female then the male is an insensitive jerk for forgetting. However, if the male remembers and not the female, then the male is immature for not being able to let go and move on. Face it, even the Japanese have double standards against males.

I would like to add a related one. All childhood promises remain important to people even when they are all grown up, and have a disproportionate influence on the story.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
mizu = water
ganguro
geisha
kid fetish
technologically superior
Parents stuck up about education

Yep that's pretty much it so far. I don't watch many of the educational animes if any exist.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to see people having fun with this. Some more:

Najica Blitz Tactics: Just because a chick is willing to wear clothes that expose her that way doesn't mean she will put out.

Aika: If you want to raise an army of all nubile female martial arts experts who will stand at attention while exposing their labials, you can do so even when you are a depraved ambisexual as long as you are a megalomaniac with a psychotically unstable incestuous sadistic sister that you can put in charge of them.

Rin: You can find out anything if you are willing to perform cunnilingus.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon: If your ensemble cast isn't pushing 40 characters, ur doing it wrong.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon: Coherency in storytelling is overrated

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon: Boobs are fun.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Noir: If someone you know has amnesia, shoot them in the head. If they survive, they will be cured (also in Ghidrah, The Three-Headed Monster).

Rozen Maiden, Hand Maid May and others: If you have dolls and/or humanoid robots living with you you will need plenty of food as they tend to eat a lot. Fortunately, they can eat whatever and not gain weight,
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Sabre doesn't even appear until the end of the second episode. It's not revealed who she is until after...

...she says she owns Excalibur. This is not a spoiler. Just my opinion, since this is the most recognized name in swords.

Moving back to the topic:
Aria - powering a gondola takes little effort, unless rowing backward.

The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye - tanks are unaffected by sand, especially going uphill on dunes.

Koihime Musou - The curlier the hair, the yuri-er the girl.

Mitsudomoe - No matter the subject, you're in the wrong conversation.

Saki - The "Kong. Tsumo." win in Mahjong combination isn't rare at all.

Kanamemo - Newspaper subscriptions are based on how cute little girls are.

Squid Girl - The shorter the hair, the longer the tentacles.
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Kaleido Star If you train hard spoiler[you will be able to fly]

On a serious note, when I was 12 I learned both the definition of the word 'nostalgic' and how to say it in Japanese from Tenchi Forever.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Monster: If you are in Germany and need a doctor, by all means make sure you get a Japanese doctor.

Daphne In the Brilliant Blue: In street combat, wardrobe is everything.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Teenagers have very good memories as they can easily recall stuff from their childhood.

When you "accidentely" touch a girls breats you have to grope it so you can comfirm you are actually touching them.

When someone is talking about you and you are not with them, you have to sneeze.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
When you "accidentely" touch a girls breats you have to grope it so you can comfirm you are actually touching them.

Dtm42's Corollary: As if they were toys, many breasts squeak when groped. The likelihood of the breast making a sound is proportional to breast size (bigger breasts are more likely than smaller breasts to make a sound when groped).

Additionally, any collision between two members of the opposite sex will almost certainly result in both parties being stunned, and there is a fair chance for one party to even be (temporarily) knocked unconscious.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Elfin Lied: New respect for Anger Management professionals.

Read Or Die: The output interface of the greatest Chinese supercomputers have just two indicators: Yes and No. Also: Libraries should stick to storing books.

Speed Grapher: Most people would be totally gross if that gave them power.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
X-TV - Sometimes your nemesis wants to kill you and sometimes he's just kinda gay for you.

Any Harem Ever Made - Bland Gets Blondes (and any other hair colour under the sun).

Fairy Tail: You'll Get By with a Little Help from your Friends.

Divergence Eve - It's Not a Good Idea to Blind Buy.
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, since we are all doing this, I have a few more to add.

Highschool of the Dead: The relativistic physical properties of a female high school student's breasts.

Anime families: Despite being related, everyone has different colored hair. Some examples include Natsumi of Sgt. Frog and the Ikaruga sisters of Samurai Harem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20