• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Slayers Fantasy TV Anime Series in the Works

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Please don't let Naga be involved in this series. Please, please don't. I hated her so much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

The fact that you don't understand the appeal of Slayers doesn't surprise me at all. Rolling Eyes

Or I just have a decent sense of humor and can spot tired-ass parody from a mile away

Oh sorry I forgot, "lina likes to eat and has small boobs" is purestrain comedy gold
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
This official announcement confirms rumors of a new Slayers anime which have been floating around the past few months or so on the huge message boards at 2ch in Japan.

My memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall that Megumi Hayashibara - original Japanese voice actress for Lina Inverse and singer of so many Slayers opening and ending theme songs - mentioned something in her blog (or somewhere else) not too long ago which helped fuel, if not helped spark, rumors and speculations on a new Slayers anime.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote
And so there's a blast-from-the-past trend trend going on this week. I can't say I didn't see this announcement coming, but I'm sure as heck not complaining about it. Much like the newly-revitalized Trigun movie, I'll wait and see how this newest addition to the Slayers universe plays out.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Boy I sure do hope they skewer cliches and conventions of the fantasy genre by pointing them out in the most obvious and unfunny ways possible

i never expected such hyperbole from you of all people. obviously it's gonna seem generic by today's standards, but what doesn't? the show was pretty innovative for the time period in which it came out, and if they're making entirely an new series, they will have far more ideas to play around with.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I love happy news!!! I haven't been this excited about a "new" series release in a long time. Woo hoo!
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, so far we've had 1 good season (Slayers Next), 2 mediocre seasons (Slayers & Slayers Try) and various movies and OAVs that range from mediocre to decent. I'm curious to see how the new anime turns out simply for nostalgias sake (Slayers was the first anime that I owned), but I'm not going to be jumping for joy yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:

The fact that you don't understand the appeal of Slayers doesn't surprise me at all. Rolling Eyes

Or I just have a decent sense of humor and can spot tired-ass parody from a mile away

Oh sorry I forgot, "lina likes to eat and has small boobs" is purestrain comedy gold

Yet, I'm sure Slayers is about 10 times more enjoyable than what ever pretentious anime you consider as your favorites.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

Yet, I'm sure Slayers is about 10 times more enjoyable than what ever pretentious anime you consider as your favorites.

The cartoons I like are better than the ones you like!!!!

Internet Slapfight #846562991-B
tebalith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Why this negativity? No, it's not the end of the world that an old franchise gets another anime adaptation...
I loved how happy my friends were when I linked them to this news story, and even though I am not a huge Slayers fan myself, I enjoyed the series a lot, and I'm definitely looking forward to this...

Zac, I am curious, since you are an official ANN personage and all, is this how things are usually done around here? So I can follow your example, and go into the next best thread about an anime that I don't like, and insult its fans in an underhanded manner?
subaru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
It's official. The Japanese have run out of new material. Very Happy

It's not the first classic old school anime being brought back to life anyway. Yattaman, Saint Seiya, Ge ge ge no Kitaro, Dr Slump......... b4 you know, they might even bring back Touch, Slam Dunk, Yu Yu Hakusho..........

I think the reasons being are:
1. As mentioned by darcerin, yes........ the Japanese are running out of good materials............ A huge show is simply missing in the current anime circle........... the last big show in Japan was probably evangelion.......... ok, maybe fullmetal alchemist......... There's just not one show that can generate the kind of hype like Slayers or Evangelion back in the 90s. Suzumiya Haruhi and Lucky Star came close......... but they are still only popular among the otakus in Japan.

2. Fans who used to watch these shows back in 80s and 90s, are now working salary men. They are the group who can afford to pay for what they want. Not like the high school or colleage groups. Similar to another topic on ANN forum, production companies will only produce shows that sell. Just look at saint seiya....... one OVA series after another OVA series, and those new action figures they release recently are selling like hot cakes in Japan. Of course, old school shows are the way to go for those production companies.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why this negativity? No, it's not the end of the world that an old franchise gets another anime adaptation...

Because anime fans are masochists. I swear, it's the most negative fandom I have ever encountered. Everything, even good news, is doom and gloom for them.

Quote:

Zac, I am curious, since you are an official ANN personage and all, is this how things are usually done around here? So I can follow your example, and go into the next best thread about an anime that I don't like, and insult its fans in an underhanded manner?

I assume yes, or this is one of those examples of a forum where the staff doesn't play by their own rules.
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
This is so awesome. I hope they include everyone. I cant wait to see how a new Slayers will look. This is making me want to watch some of the old episodes. Anime smile
Varkyle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited to hear that they'll be a new Slayers Tv series. It's one of my top favorites... right up there with Record of Lodoss Wars OAV and TV series.

The old tried and true formula worked then and I'm sure even today that it'll work. Slayers wasn't mass marketing and "whored" out to the public like a lot of the new Animes these days... it was mainly a small niche following who enjoyed D&D as well as Anime.

I would really love to see Naga the White Serpent slowly be introduced into the Tv series as she was only in the OAVs and movies which were all prequels leading up to the Tv series.

Just seeing Lina & Gourry meeting Naga in Slayers Royal & Royal 2...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonnebonne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Or I just have a decent sense of humor

Obviously, no you don't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5