• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Most Anticipated R1 Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quote
Ummm... I don't understand why everyone voted Haruhi over Peach Girl, the best high school romance ever made. Oh man... I'd pick this up over Haruhi any day Exclamation
quigonkenny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:12 am Reply with quote
I think Mushishi is one of the best and most original series to come out in the last I don't know when, and has the possibility to become a real Miyazaki-level classic once it hits these shores (it has already in my mind), so it will definitely be on my list. I just hope FUNimation FMA's the dub and doesn't DBZ it...

Sgt. Fr—er...Keroro Gunsou would be a definite if there weren't 8 billion episodes of it. Even at the ADV standard of oh...15 episodes per DVD, that'll be a little much for my pocketbook, so I'm waiting for the obligatory thinpaks, which probably won't even come out by the end of 2008, much less 2007.

Speaking of ADV, I'll probably get Ah! My Goddess S2, as well, somewhere along the way, even though it wasn't as good as the first season (even with loli-Hild-sama). Also, I live in Houston, so if ADV resurrects the Peorth French accent, I'm right here to lay down some instant karma.

Even though it will likely require me to sell my soul to Bandai to afford it, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a definite, as I am a rabid fan, it's my favorite series of those being released this year, and I am eagerly awaiting seeing how good the English dub will be (and slightly less eagerly awaiting a Haruhi...pillowcase?), but it's still not my most anticipated release.

Black Lagoon is easily my most anticipated release of this year, and it's not just because of the series itself, whch was fantastic, but because I think it has the opportunity to become absolutely Bebop-level huge if the dub is done right. While all the anticipation and discussion over the Haruhi dub is certainly deserved, as it is also an incredible show, it has nowhere near the mainstream potential of Black Lagoon. While I love Haruhi and Mushishi, I know that a year from now, Black Lagoon and DEATH NOTE could be the next Cowboy Bebop and Trigun to the American anime fan. Don't screw this up, Geneon...
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
School Rumble? Slayers? Those are my choices, not what's on the poll.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
Haruhi, no question. I can't wait to get my LE. I'm also highly anticipating, Black Lagoon, Tsubasa, Ah! My Goddess, .hack//Roots, Karin and Ayakashi, but nothing matches my anticipation of TMoHS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cardcaptor_yue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
My vote has gone to Tsubasa I have been a major CLAMP fan for several years now, and all the references are right up my alley, although there are some very interestings ones. I Think Tsubasa has a great cast and a story that I fell in love with the moment I first saw the manga. Past that I'm split I do want to check them all out though.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
School Rumble? Slayers? Those are my choices, not what's on the poll.

Neither have announced release dates.

School Rumble is supposed to come this spring though, but I only included titles with actual dates...

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
quigonkenny wrote:
Black Lagoon is easily my most anticipated release of this year, and it's not just because of the series itself, whch was fantastic, but because I think it has the opportunity to become absolutely Bebop-level huge if the dub is done right.

Black Lagoon will never come close to Cowboy Bebop's popularity. The script isn't nearly as strong as Bebop's. Too generic, too deus-ex-machina.

-t
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
Brakus wrote:
Can I vote for "none of the above"? I'm waiting for Beck to be released.

Thank you.

I'm looking at this list and not a single title grabs me. Not one. The two titles I'm looking forward to buying, in early '07, are BECK and Kurau (finally). Since they weren't there for me to vote on, I probably would've gone with "Other" or "None of the Above" too.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
No Keroro is sad, but I'm glad to see there are likeminded individuals pretty excited about the Prince of Tennis box sets. Man, that's a steal.

BECK is definitely a top choice for me as well. I'll pick up Haruhi, but it's on the same level as Ah! My Goddess and Karin as far as I'm concerned, as in a, "I want to pick this series up, but it won't be a rush to do so."
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
My vote was for Tsubasa. I was at the Tsubasa panel at NYC:CC and I was very impressed by the dub work.

But even moreso then Tsubasa, I am most eagerly awaiting Ouran High School Host Club for R1 release.

Now.. if only someone would license it... Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
I also was wondering where Mushishi was. That would have been my first choice. After that-- it's Black Lagoon.

tempest wrote:
Black Lagoon will never come close to Cowboy Bebop's popularity. The script isn't nearly as strong as Bebop's. Too generic, too deus-ex-machina.

That seems like an odd statement to make. I could see saying it has no central plot, or some such thing, but where's the deux ex machina??

I love Bebop too, and it's music is far far better, but it has it's own issues--namely, IMO, heavy melodrama. I always found the central story arc far too over the top. I much preferred the back stories of the other characters. That's something BL has going for it-- a certain sort of "playing the emotional cards close to the vest" that Bebop lacked.

Honestly, making it as big as Bebop or Eva is often a marriage of many different random things-- only one of which is the quality of the show. Marketing, being in the right place at the right time, etc often have a lot to do with the popularity of a show. Truthfully, I don't think BL will be as popular, but that's mostly because almost no shows ever get as popular as Bebop.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
abaldwi1 wrote:
I've seen 'The Melancholy' Why is it soooooo popular? I mean. . . It's great but it's definitely not one of the best. If anyone can give a totally rational explanation to why this gets 52% of the vote right now . . .

I'm welcome to all takers.

because beck and mushishi wasn't on the list and they are better show imo. also wih the recent news of haruhi's license and boxart release, there is tons of hype surrounding the series
archangelunder7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
SIDE NOTE: hi all, i'm new!

i voted for Rozen Maiden.

geneon's silence tells me that they're confident they don't need to whore out infomation for this to sell properly (the desutards will be all over it either way Laughing ) . tho still, i would like to know the english cast. Confused

the artbox thing doesn't worry me, since theres a new trend to have artboxes on the last volume of the series, so people don't get annoyed they payed extra for the box when they don't like the show and don't collect past vol 1. so the box will prolly come with vol 3.

as for the translation, my guess (and hope) is they'll leave the copolas out. since honestly, how many people who REALLY REALLY want the desu's left in the english dub, are going to watch it over the subbed version? my guess, not many. so why ruin the english dub for the rest of us who will, by having it a mish mash of english and japanese. suiseiseki will sound just as cute in english without the desu's if they get the right tone, just like Steel Angel Kurumi does.

as for Suigintou's laugh, well, that depends on who they get to do her voice. my personal hope is they get Kirsty Pape, who played the english role of Maistro Delphine in Last Exile. not only did she come across as THE most evil female character in history, but her chuckle sounded so cruel and malicious, absoulutley perfect for Suigintou.

if anyone else, other than Geneon got this licence i would be worried, but after such brilliant performances in R.O.D the TV, Ergo Proxy, Strawberry Marshmallow and Haibane Renmei, i have nothing but confidence that they will do an awesome job.

p.s. i don't get what it is with Haruhi either, i saw the first 2 episodes, and they were good, but i aint selling my first born child to get a free copy of vol 1 Razz
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh, look, Haruhi is winning - whowuddathunkit? Laughing

A week back I'd have voted for Haruhi hands down, but since the whole Special Edition/broadcast order/I'm going to be bankrupt thing came about (yeah, yeah, I know, I'll stop whining after I've said this) I don't know which version to buy now, and I can't say I'm excited about it anymore. Like, at all. Thinking about it gives me a headache.

And since Mushishi isn't on the list, I voted for Black Lagoon. I've heard good things about it so I'm looking forward to it.
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
My vote was Haruhi no doubt about it. It is the only show on that list that I'm going to be purchasing and its going to be my first series that I'm going to preorder. stopped watching Tsubasa cause frankly, it isn't that great. Far to slow for my taste. AMG Second Season looks decent, I have seen the first few episodes but I don't ever see myself buying it. Karin was pretty good, it was better than I expected but still not enough to buy it. As for the rest of the series, I don't know a whole lot about them and haven't seen anything and I'm not the type of person to buy DVDs without seeing anything first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4