• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Acquires RWBY Series, Will Explore Production of New Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animaters

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:00 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
No, 12 years is not along time ago. It is only a long time ago if you are 15, or may be 20. But 12 years is like noting at all for the bulk majority of of people. Razz

[...]

Yeah, um, no. It's not. Much of what was talked about today was then. It was 2012, not 1982.

12 years+ is a long time except for boomers who are like 50 year olds+

like the other user said, 2012 was a different time than 2024. it would be like comparing 2012 to 2000, y'all wilding
Aeden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad at least one person more or less understood what I was trying to say.

It seems universally agreed that RWBY went off the rails shortly after losing the series creator. Viz can either pick up where Rooster Teeth left off and try to steer the series back to Monty's vision, or abandon it entirely with a reboot.

Either way there's no guarantee it'll be what fans truly want, but after watching countless reboots go down in flames it feels safe to say that would be the least satisfying outcome.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:33 am Reply with quote
Aeden wrote:
It seems universally agreed that RWBY went off the rails shortly after losing the series creator. Viz can either pick up where Rooster Teeth left off and try to steer the series back to Monty's vision, or abandon it entirely with a reboot.

That is only the majority opinion among people who dislike the show (and even then it is not as much of a monolith you are making it out to be).
There are still tons of people who like the show as it is, and since Viz has already confirmed that Kerry (who was working with Monty on the writing/creation of the series since the very beginning, hence why he is listed as "co-creator" in the announcement video) is still going to be leading things, it's pretty clear that they have no plans of changing the direction of the series or rebooting.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
ike the other user said, 2012 was a different time than 2024. it would be like comparing 2012 to 2000, y'all wilding
So why don’t y’all say out loud what you really mean by “modernization?”
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:25 am Reply with quote
Aeden wrote:

That's only true in an echo chamber of RWBY haters.

Monty Oum was never the writer for the series. He was the creator, sure, but never the writer. Monty was the visionary while Kerry and Miles were the writers starting with the first volume and to the latest. People only use Monty as a tool in order to use to spread their hate campaign onto the series.

And heck, the reason why the hatred even started, the disappointing quality of volume 5, was NOT the fault of the writers but the fault of budget constraints and an asshole named Gray Haddock. Basically they spent too much money on the marketing and couldn't get more from the higher ups and Haddock was the director for volume 5 before leaving and started working on another series, IE Gen: Lock (Which is a whole other story), without telling Kerry and Miles beforehand while the scripts were unfinished which made Kerry have to juggle between writer and director.

I say this because many harassed the two for "ruining" RWBY even though they were actually the ones trying to keep the ship from sinking. So anybody who brings up how they are "ruining" Monty's vision you should just ignore because they are nothing more then dicks who get pure joy out of crapping on a show while acting like Monty was a god among men and what they're doing is blasphemous to said god.
onpufan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
So now we get to what people are really complaining about. Fictional queer characters that don't even exist yet. Nvm the current RWBY already has a canon lesbian couple so I think you're in the wrong fandom. Rolling Eyes And queer characters existed in TV shows in 2012. You're acting like this is the difference between the 90s and now.

I didn't see anything about gay people in that person's post unless it was edited. But if you're going to invoke that then you should probably know 12 years ago gay marriage was still not legally recognized nationwide in America. 12 years is an incredible amount of time in terms of culture. We're only 4 years out from the 2020 pandemic. 4 years before that was the 2016 election. 9 years before that was the iPhone. 6 years before that was 9/11.

That being said RWBY has been "modernized" for quite awhile now in the post-Monty Volumes so I'm not sure it a reboot would be all that different. Maybe they they wouldn't cast certain voice actors for certain characters this time around like Emerald. After all, The Problem with Apu which would change the way the American voice acting industry operates and casts roles now only came out 7 years ago.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been a semi fan of the series from the beginning, but I do think the writing was pretty weak at the beginning. The last couple of seasons were really interesting, or at least had a fair number of interesting ideas.

So, I'd like to see where they take the story from here.

But I can also understand the desire for a reboot, as the writing in some of the early seasons was pretty weak, sustained in large part by the brilliance of the action scenes.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:37 pm Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:

I didn't see anything about gay people in that person's post unless it was edited. But if you're going to invoke that then you should probably know 12 years ago gay marriage was still not legally recognized nationwide in America. 12 years is an incredible amount of time in terms of culture. We're only 4 years out from the 2020 pandemic. 4 years before that was the 2016 election. 9 years before that was the iPhone. 6 years before that was 9/11.

Same sex marriage was legalized in the US like three years after 2012 and even before then most of the states already had it legalized in 2012 and Legend of Korra was also 2012 which had lesbians.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:42 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
But I can also understand the desire for a reboot, as the writing in some of the early seasons was pretty weak, sustained in large part by the brilliance of the action scenes.

That and a few other flaws like;
-Episode pacing. Remember how long the Juane Arc.....arc went?
-The earlier seasons are the least prettiest compared to future seasons.
-Lack of development into a few plot lines. It's agreed that the White Fang could have been handled better.
-Fluff like Yang meeting her mom at the end of season 2 (That part was retconned)

And just to point out I am a fan of the series and I'm perfectly fine with the idea of a reboot. Maybe working on the more weaker entries and fixing their issues. Like Season 5 which was a victim of troubled production. And the idea of rebooting the series could also help put a second life to the series again after Rooster Teeth muddled everything.
True1AnimeFan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Rooster Teeth failed it, I just hope we get different voice actors this time. We don't know if it'll change for the better or not.
animaters

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:13 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
onpufan wrote:

Same sex marriage was legalized in the US like three years after 2012 and even before then most of the states already had it legalized in 2012 and Legend of Korra was also 2012 which had lesbians.

i wanna start with a disclaimer, i'm not american nor am i interested in american matters. that said, you have just proven and shown how 12 years is a long ass time by showing how u forgot how things were back then.

by 2012, only 9 states and the District of Columbia recognized same-sex marriage.
These states were:
Connecticut
Iowa
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New York
Vermont
Washington

these are not even a quarter of the states, let alone a majority.

and about korra, the episode that featured the lesbian relationship is "Partners" (Season 3, Episode 4). It aired on August 15, 2014. not 2012, and it was highly controversial within the avatar fandom to the point that bryan Konietzko admitted it was only done to appeal for shippers.

either way, korra while has its fans is not viewed positively as Aang' part of the story by the majority of the fandom.

like the two people prior said, 12 years is a LONG TIME since then. by modernization in regards to a reboot, i mean how they would try to make it for a ''modern audience'' and focus on side stuff like tokenism or being preachy hence why am not up for a reboot. i'd prefer they remake the show as it is and tweak it here and there with quality animation.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:45 am Reply with quote
True1AnimeFan wrote:
Rooster Teeth failed it, I just hope we get different voice actors this time. We don't know if it'll change for the better or not.

Given that Barb (Yang's VA) is literally in the announcement video. That ain't happening.
TheOnePieceIsReal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:01 am Reply with quote
True1AnimeFan wrote:

I agree with you on how Rooster Teeth failed the series due to how mismanaged the company was.

But I don't agree that we should get new voice actors. RWBY fans still love and desire the original four voice actresses who played Team RWBY to be a part of the series.

After all fans weren't happy when they heard that the higher ups at Rooster Teeth threatened to fire Arryn, the voice of Blake, just because she wanted to be paid more.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:07 pm Reply with quote
animaters wrote:
and about korra, the episode that featured the lesbian relationship is "Partners" (Season 3, Episode 4). It aired on August 15, 2014. not 2012, and it was highly controversial within the avatar fandom to the point that bryan Konietzko admitted it was only done to appeal for shippers.

Actual quote from Bryan Konietzko:
“Do I have a ship? Korrasami was my first ship. I was the first Korrasami shipper, and I’ve battled fans over this at cons who are like, ‘I was the first!’ And I’m like, ‘I was in the writer’s room with Mike when you didn’t know who Asami was, or Korra!’”

Season 3's storyline was largely built to develop Korra and Asami's relationship with the intention of them getting together in S4, with the only last minute question being how far Nickelodeon would allow them to go afterwards. Brian and Mike were also the writers on Turf Wars, the three part graphic novel series that followed up on Korra and Asami after the fourth season ended.

Quote:
either way, korra while has its fans is not viewed positively as Aang' part of the story by the majority of the fandom.

Irrelevant point, and a sequel series is rarely viewed as positively as the original, especially when they replace the male lead with a female one.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:25 pm Reply with quote
The_Outsider wrote:
Considering their little FAQ very slyly avoids talking about a new season to the main show, it pretty much guarantees they're going to reboot it, like there's no way they won't, anyone with even minor knowledge in marketing knows the longer a serialized media product goes on the less accessible it becomes, and considering how irrelevant rwby is these days, there's no way anything Viz makes following the main storyline is ever gonna pay for itself (RT had to go to Crunchyroll to even get their 9th season funded at all, and then had to take on those ill-conceived Justice League crossover movies to even keep the lights on for a little longer).

Edit: Just to clarify I'm talking about if they keep things animated, maybe they'll resort to a graphic novel or a book to finish their story.

What would be the point of that? It would alienate fans of the original who want a conclusion and who else cares about the franchise?

It's not like it's a particularly expensive show to make either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4