• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Nintendo Direct June 2024: New Age of Hype

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:31 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Has the PS5 even received any truly exclusive titles that would apply here? I'm not asking this sarcastically, I genuinely can't think of any. At least until maybe the past year pretty much everything of note on it also got a PS4 version, because that was a console that people actually owned.
No.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 12:40 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
No.

Aged like a fine wine.
YackDe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:32 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
FinalVentCard wrote:

Yeah, the original #FreeMvC movement was a full two years ago. Assuming this was the result of that push, the timeline fits. The arcade machine came out last year, after all. I can see the rights wrangling for all this to take a solid two years. Meanwhile X-Men 97 only came out this past March--nowhere near the amount of time to cross the Ts and dot the i's for this kind of deal.

Except X-Men '97 has been in development since 2019 and it was announced to be in production in 2021. Heck, they were already working on the second season in 2022. It's not hard to see that one party went to the other in those years and said "this would perfect synergy, let's do this!" Especially since a lot of the animation team were fans of the games

It actually is hard to see that, almost assuredly nobody expected X-Men 97 to blow up in the way it did, and if they did executives would not be clamoring for a 24 year old game to get rollback netcode as a form of brand synergy.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 2:43 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:

It actually is hard to see that, almost assuredly nobody expected X-Men 97 to blow up in the way it did, and if they did executives would not be clamoring for a 24 year old game to get rollback netcode as a form of brand synergy.

Considering how the animators on the show took cues from the MvC games and there are a lot of nods to the games in the show, it was likely the case. Capcom probably went to Marvel saying "Hey, you're doing X-Men 97, we got MvC, wanna work out the rights so we can do a rerelease?" Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the works before "Free MvC." There was no way this was a coincidence
thecowardlyantoine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:05 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Guess someone better tell all those people who loved the first and third games so much Nintendo remade them for the 3DS. Still flummoxed with Inside Story though since that was DS game being remade for the 3DS.

Bowser's Inside Story is generally regarded as the best game and I think it sold the most which is why they chose to remake it since Paper Jam didn't do hot. But the remakes didn't do so hot either so it didn't help. I didn't like the remakes due to the graphics being a lot worse and losing a lot of soul in the designs and presentation

So yeah, you could argue Paper Mario damaged Mario & Luigi for awhile by association. I hope it stays away from this series and they don't try another crossover. And the remakes were lazy attempts to cash in on not-so-old games. Always play the originals.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of a certain dood, he posted a new recap of things including how things were including when he was working with Capcom on MvC3 & Origins' marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogp9zY-D0n0
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:54 am Reply with quote
thecowardlyantoine wrote:
Always play the originals.

This is a fine piece of advice if you overlook the fact that in many cases the original version of that something may not be readily accessible or if it is it’s not cheap.

And then of course you also have the problem of the thing in question being a bit too dated looking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3